RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

#1

Deni Avdija
4
3%
LaMelo Ball
24
19%
Anthony Edwards
73
57%
Killian Hayes
3
2%
Onyeka Okongwu
3
2%
Aleksej Pokusevski
1
1%
Obi Toppin
2
2%
James Wiseman
18
14%
OTHER:
1
1%
 
Total votes: 129

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,572
And1: 1,150
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#21 » by doordoor123 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:49 pm

BadWolf wrote:I'm not saying Edwards should be the pick, really don't have an opinion yet. But why is Lamelo great fit and Edwards terrible. Both should fit fine alongside DLo. And frankly, Culver and Okogie really shouldn't influence who you draft at 1.


Melo is 6’7, which is potentially multi-positional. Meaning eventually he could play 1-4, which is why he’s so valuable in the first place.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,617
And1: 11,809
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#22 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:17 pm

doordoor123 wrote:The odds of Rosas taking Edwards is super low. He just drafted Culver last year, they just traded for Beasley, they still have Okogie. Plus they’re holding that spot for Booker if he ever comes available. Ball makes a lot of sense for Rosas, but I don’t think he’s going to fit personality-wise with their two stars. He can play beside Russell, but that defense could be terrible. He might start off as a back up type of player on this team because they’re not waiting for more guys to develop as shown by all the trades Rosas made mid-season. I like Wiseman here just because I think he has the most upside.

If talking about a potential Booker trade, that should make Minnesota lean Edwards more than Wiseman. Phoenix would want a replacement for Booker. What would Phoenix do with Wiseman when they have Ayton?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 29,471
And1: 16,779
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#23 » by MotownMadness » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:38 pm

Klomp wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:The odds of Rosas taking Edwards is super low. He just drafted Culver last year, they just traded for Beasley, they still have Okogie. Plus they’re holding that spot for Booker if he ever comes available. Ball makes a lot of sense for Rosas, but I don’t think he’s going to fit personality-wise with their two stars. He can play beside Russell, but that defense could be terrible. He might start off as a back up type of player on this team because they’re not waiting for more guys to develop as shown by all the trades Rosas made mid-season. I like Wiseman here just because I think he has the most upside.

If talking about a potential Booker trade, that should make Minnesota lean Edwards more than Wiseman. Phoenix would want a replacement for Booker. What would Phoenix do with Wiseman when they have Ayton?

Why would Booker even be available?
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,566
And1: 3,181
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:43 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Klomp wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:The odds of Rosas taking Edwards is super low. He just drafted Culver last year, they just traded for Beasley, they still have Okogie. Plus they’re holding that spot for Booker if he ever comes available. Ball makes a lot of sense for Rosas, but I don’t think he’s going to fit personality-wise with their two stars. He can play beside Russell, but that defense could be terrible. He might start off as a back up type of player on this team because they’re not waiting for more guys to develop as shown by all the trades Rosas made mid-season. I like Wiseman here just because I think he has the most upside.

If talking about a potential Booker trade, that should make Minnesota lean Edwards more than Wiseman. Phoenix would want a replacement for Booker. What would Phoenix do with Wiseman when they have Ayton?

Why would Booker even be available?

right orgs dont trade their franchise starter for a potential franchise starter who hasnt proved anything...
Minnesota should just take the bpa and not care about fit...but given the difference between one prospect and another at the top is negligable Edwards seems most likely to in fact be ther BPA being a perfect roster fit
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,617
And1: 11,809
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#25 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:59 pm

The more I watch the more I think Deni Avdija could easily be the most impactful player in this draft. We could use a player in the spot he'd play too (call it PF or second SF).

I don't care about Doncic comps. That's not why I like him. He's a great fit for the modern game and for the Minnesota system, he's played against men for years and performed well, and there aren't those questions about motor or work ethic. He seems to check most every box, yet people aren't even considering him an option.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,353
And1: 4,180
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#26 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:00 am

Klomp wrote:The more I watch the more I think Deni Avdija could easily be the most impactful player in this draft. We could use a player in the spot he'd play too (call it PF or second SF).

I don't care about Doncic comps. That's not why I like him. He's a great fit for the modern game and for the Minnesota system, he's played against men for years and performed well, and there aren't those questions about motor or work ethic. He seems to check most every box, yet people aren't even considering him an option.


Lots of outside voices they'd have to tune out to jump out of that window. I do see the appeal though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,617
And1: 11,809
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#27 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:45 am

Marcus wrote:
Klomp wrote:The more I watch the more I think Deni Avdija could easily be the most impactful player in this draft. We could use a player in the spot he'd play too (call it PF or second SF).

I don't care about Doncic comps. That's not why I like him. He's a great fit for the modern game and for the Minnesota system, he's played against men for years and performed well, and there aren't those questions about motor or work ethic. He seems to check most every box, yet people aren't even considering him an option.


Lots of outside voices they'd have to tune out to jump out of that window. I do see the appeal though.

There were probably outside voices to tune out for Phoenix to take Doncic too...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
Killboard
Analyst
Posts: 3,169
And1: 839
Joined: Jul 16, 2010

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#28 » by Killboard » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:21 am

While Edwards and Lamelo have the chance to be really really good players who could thrive in the pace and space era, I think Hayes has a real chance to be taken 1st. He is a pretty big for a PG, with a pro ready frame, can operate the P&R, already has a killer step back and can play passing lanes and navigate screens on defense as very few PG can. No holes in his game other than his right hand which is incredible for an 18 year old going against pro's (now 19). He is not recieving a lot of buzz because didn't play in college or a first team in Europe but the Wolves have a very good international scouting staff so I'm confident they won't overlook him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,353
And1: 4,180
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#29 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Klomp wrote:The more I watch the more I think Deni Avdija could easily be the most impactful player in this draft. We could use a player in the spot he'd play too (call it PF or second SF).

I don't care about Doncic comps. That's not why I like him. He's a great fit for the modern game and for the Minnesota system, he's played against men for years and performed well, and there aren't those questions about motor or work ethic. He seems to check most every box, yet people aren't even considering him an option.


Lots of outside voices they'd have to tune out to jump out of that window. I do see the appeal though.

There were probably outside voices to tune out for Phoenix to take Doncic too...


This ain't that though. Luka was in the consensus no1 convo all season, the coach was his former coach, and it was a much wider spread thought that Luka was the best player in his class. Deni don't have any of that going for him. Luka going first wouldn't be looked at funny outside of his mesh with Booker but that's passable. Deni going first would be looked at as "no way they couldn't have gotten him a little later". Fit wise I hear you and agree with the roster being what it is. But even with that number one would be considered a reach until proven otherwise.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,617
And1: 11,809
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#30 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:06 am

Honestly, I'm kind of to the point where I don't care about if we could get someone later. Had Cleveland drafted Giannis first overall, they'd be roasted for taking someone they could've gotten later. But yet, they took a consensus top 5 pick (even though I know not the top one) and how'd that work out? Sometimes, you gotta stick to your guns, trust your board and just take a guy.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,353
And1: 4,180
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#31 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 am

Klomp wrote:Honestly, I'm kind of to the point where I don't care about if we could get someone later. Had Cleveland drafted Giannis first overall, they'd be roasted for taking someone they could've gotten later. But yet, they took a consensus top 5 pick (even though I know not the top one) and how'd that work out? Sometimes, you gotta stick to your guns, trust your board and just take a guy.


I'm all for bucking the system and trusting your plans and what you can do with a kid. We've seen that pan out well in the past and we've seen it go the other way as well. Like I said I think the fit is exquisite. Additional playmaker, willing defender, good size, potential with his jumper and should fit the playing style. If the belief in the office is strong then I hope they pull the trigger and shake some ish up. Just saying I know in the context of "this is my GM job on the line that I'm playing with" the likelihood of one jumping out the window for a move like that is uncommon. Folks love to play it safe more often than not when it comes to their pockets.

Think this a 50/50 kind of pick in terms of this not being a star studded "you gotta pick this guy" kind of draft. Number one this year doesn't come with the same roll of the dice restrictions BUT the talk is the talk and "we all think it's Wiseman, Ball, or Edwards" can get loud if the "WTF pick" doesn't land.

You see Deni as "a" piece or "the" piece on your roster or any roster for that matter?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,617
And1: 11,809
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#32 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:33 am

Marcus wrote:Think this a 50/50 kind of pick in terms of this not being a star studded "you gotta pick this guy" kind of draft. Number one this year doesn't come with the same roll of the dice restrictions BUT the talk is the talk and "we all think it's Wiseman, Ball, or Edwards" can get loud if the "WTF pick" doesn't land.

You see Deni as "a" piece or "the" piece on your roster or any roster for that matter?

I believe he has a high likelihood to be "a" piece (which can't be said of everyone at the top of the board), but I do believe there's still a chance to be "the" piece for someone. The potential is there.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 23,414
And1: 7,430
Joined: Dec 27, 2003
     

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#33 » by Worm Guts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Klomp wrote:Honestly, I'm kind of to the point where I don't care about if we could get someone later. Had Cleveland drafted Giannis first overall, they'd be roasted for taking someone they could've gotten later. But yet, they took a consensus top 5 pick (even though I know not the top one) and how'd that work out? Sometimes, you gotta stick to your guns, trust your board and just take a guy.


I remember Bennett being mocked at 8 right before the draft. I think Cleveland was actually attempting to think outside the box because they didn't like the options. It came back to bite them, but obviously if they had identified Giannis as the top talent instead, they'd look like genius's right now.
That's the risk of trying to think to step outside the box, you either look like a genius or a moron. You've removed the safety of "this guy failed but he was the consensus pick".
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,617
And1: 11,809
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#34 » by Klomp » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 am

Read on Twitter


Always said that Giannis-type ability would move him up to No. 1 to play alongside Towns. These are the types of moves I'm talking about.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
MemphisX
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,807
And1: 1,649
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#35 » by MemphisX » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:27 am

doordoor123 wrote:The odds of Rosas taking Edwards is super low. He just drafted Culver last year, they just traded for Beasley, they still have Okogie. Plus they’re holding that spot for Booker if he ever comes available. Ball makes a lot of sense for Rosas, but I don’t think he’s going to fit personality-wise with their two stars. He can play beside Russell, but that defense could be terrible. He might start off as a back up type of player on this team because they’re not waiting for more guys to develop as shown by all the trades Rosas made mid-season. I like Wiseman here just because I think he has the most upside.



I think this is something people need to understand. Even though Booker's value is sky high coming off the bubble and the Suns are the talk of the NBA, if the Suns crap the bed next season, Minnesota is going to need assets to trade for Booker (even if it is only in their head). I think LaMelo will probably have the highest trade value and IMO is just as good of a prospect.

Also, have to remember, for better or worse Lamelo is going to bring eyeballs. Coming off this pandemic with the team likely to have a new owner, this might be their splash play.

I think the best fit for that team is James Wiseman though. Clunky fit with KAT but the Wolves could use the rim protection with their two best players uninterested in defense.

I would also like for them to trade down for Cole Anthony.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,280
And1: 2,118
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#36 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Wilber85 wrote:If Minnesota is smart they trade #1.

There is nobody in this draft that will be an all star

I can almost guarantee you that somebody out of this draft will be an all star. Wolves just need to figure out who that player will be. Could be somebody drafter outside of the lottery. The Wolves also have pick 17 and 33.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,280
And1: 2,118
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#37 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:30 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:If Minnesota is smart they trade #1.

There is nobody in this draft that will be an all star


I stopped going back at like 1978, but I don't think there has ever been a draft that didn't have at least one all star, and even going back to 1978, there was always at least 1 all star to be had in the top 5. I don't think there is an MVP here, but lets pump the brakes a little bit on these guys. Someone is going to surprise outside of the top 5, and one of the top tier athletes will show out.

Excellent reply. There's always an all star that comes out of every draft.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,280
And1: 2,118
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#38 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:36 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
BadWolf wrote:I'm not saying Edwards should be the pick, really don't have an opinion yet. But why is Lamelo great fit and Edwards terrible. Both should fit fine alongside DLo. And frankly, Culver and Okogie really shouldn't influence who you draft at 1.


Melo is 6’7, which is potentially multi-positional. Meaning eventually he could play 1-4, which is why he’s so valuable in the first place.

He's maybe 6'7" I will believe it when they show video of him being measured by NBA personnel. He is also around 98 pounds (hyperbole). Both he and Edwards shot very poorly this last year, but Edwards has good form and hope of shooting well in time. Melo has the worst form I have ever seen in an NBA prospect. No hope of ever shooting well unless he completely reworks the shot that he learned at probably 3 years old. Edwards is a physical marvel with incredible athleticism. Ball is a subpar athlete. So many reasons to prefer Edwards over Ball.
MemphisX
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,807
And1: 1,649
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#39 » by MemphisX » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:09 am

KGdaBom wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
BadWolf wrote:I'm not saying Edwards should be the pick, really don't have an opinion yet. But why is Lamelo great fit and Edwards terrible. Both should fit fine alongside DLo. And frankly, Culver and Okogie really shouldn't influence who you draft at 1.


Melo is 6’7, which is potentially multi-positional. Meaning eventually he could play 1-4, which is why he’s so valuable in the first place.

He's maybe 6'7" I will believe it when they show video of him being measured by NBA personnel. He is also around 98 pounds (hyperbole). Both he and Edwards shot very poorly this last year, but Edwards has good form and hope of shooting well in time. Melo has the worst form I have ever seen in an NBA prospect. No hope of ever shooting well unless he completely reworks the shot that he learned at probably 3 years old. Edwards is a physical marvel with incredible athleticism. Ball is a subpar athlete. So many reasons to prefer Edwards over Ball.


Image Image

I don't think he is a twig any more. I think that time has passed. The shooting is a question. However, while Edwards is a phusical freak, he doesn't know how to play basketball. I would not take Edward with any pick. I am very doubtful that he will be a positive NBA player.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,280
And1: 2,118
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: RealGM consensus mock - Minnesota 

Post#40 » by KGdaBom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:31 am

MemphisX wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Melo is 6’7, which is potentially multi-positional. Meaning eventually he could play 1-4, which is why he’s so valuable in the first place.

He's maybe 6'7" I will believe it when they show video of him being measured by NBA personnel. He is also around 98 pounds (hyperbole). Both he and Edwards shot very poorly this last year, but Edwards has good form and hope of shooting well in time. Melo has the worst form I have ever seen in an NBA prospect. No hope of ever shooting well unless he completely reworks the shot that he learned at probably 3 years old. Edwards is a physical marvel with incredible athleticism. Ball is a subpar athlete. So many reasons to prefer Edwards over Ball.


Image Image

I don't think he is a twig any more. I think that time has passed. The shooting is a question. However, while Edwards is a phusical freak, he doesn't know how to play basketball. I would not take Edward with any pick. I am very doubtful that he will be a positive NBA player.

he doesn't look like a twig in these pics. However, a completely broken shot is too much to overcome.
Edwards certainly does know how to play basketball. He has Hardenesque moves to to get his shots off and great form. He know how to handle and pass and drive the net. He needs to improve his shot selection and needs to put effort into Defense. Much better chance he turns out than Melo. Regardless I want Wiseman or Okongwu.

Return to NBA Draft