Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,859
And1: 1,257
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:52 am

Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka and force the Wolves not to select him so he can end up with the GSW?

Few years ago, Luka asked the Kings not to select him and it worked. There is a huge culture difference and work environment difference between teaming up with Towns and teaming up with Curry.

Curry is still in his prime but will also be turning 33yr soon, and Edwards could be the new go to guy for the GSW 5 years down the line.
Shaka_Zulu
Junior
Posts: 472
And1: 596
Joined: Feb 11, 2018
   

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#2 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:05 am

Its not guranteed nor clear we (Wolves) would take him, and unlikely Warriors would take him over Wiseman. Indications that this is not a must get talent, so might even trade down if theres a team desperate enough.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 17,142
And1: 12,723
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#3 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:54 am

When did Luka asked Kings not to draft, did you just made it up because its first time I hear this...
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,385
And1: 3,349
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#4 » by Fischella » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 am

The Wolves are 1000% not picking Edwards man
Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,968
And1: 1,187
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#5 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:29 pm

UcanUwill wrote:When did Luka asked Kings not to draft, did you just made it up because its first time I hear this...


He didn't.
510TWSS
Head Coach
Posts: 7,059
And1: 1,971
Joined: Aug 18, 2009
 

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#6 » by 510TWSS » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:11 pm

I remember hearing that rumor, but don't think it turned out to be true. Although I could mis-remember.

Either way, no I don't think AE has the leverage to dictate where he'd like to go. Not including not giving up medicals (every prospect should do this) or not visiting in person (not sure if that'll be allowed this year).
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,856
And1: 5,091
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#7 » by King Ken » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:53 pm

This never happened
User avatar
Arsenal
General Manager
Posts: 9,700
And1: 4,861
Joined: Jun 05, 2002
Location: Arlington, VA
         

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#8 » by Arsenal » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:42 am

Yeah never happened. The reason the Kangz didn't pick Luka was solely due to Vlade and Vivek's total incompetence, not anything Luka did.
#ThankYouSam | #TrustTheProcess
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,605
And1: 3,189
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:29 am

Fischella wrote:The Wolves are 1000% not picking Edwards man

enlighten us as to how exactly you know this to be fact... dont buy they would take Wiseman[kat] or Ball[dlo] at all so unless they hate the idea of adding a 1st option athletic slasher who can fill it up better than current roster options they are taking Edwards
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
D1SGRUNTL3D
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,912
And1: 1,283
Joined: Jan 23, 2006
Location: Minnesota
   

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#10 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:38 am

Edwards already posted himself in a wolves jersey on his insta story this morning

Image
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,385
And1: 3,349
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#11 » by Fischella » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:49 am

IF the Wolves pick Edwards I'd lose all respect to that FO it'd be about politics and perception and catering to Russell and Towns, which is a terrible way of optimizing a nº1 pick

Also, regardless of what people think Ball is not only the better prospect but also the better fit
BadWolf
Head Coach
Posts: 7,476
And1: 1,936
Joined: Jun 06, 2006

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#12 » by BadWolf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 am

Fischella wrote:IF the Wolves pick Edwards I'd lose all respect to that FO it'd be about politics and perception and catering to Russell and Towns, which is a terrible way of optimizing a nº1 pick

Also, regardless of what people think Ball is not only the better prospect but also the better fit


Why? What are your arguments?
Adding a prospect generally regarded as a top pick at a position/role of need shouldn't get treated with ' all respect to that FO it'd be about politics and perception and catering to Russell and Towns, which is a terrible way of optimizing a nº1 pick'. Is there something
More ghat you know?
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,385
And1: 3,349
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#13 » by Fischella » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:33 am

BadWolf wrote:
Fischella wrote:IF the Wolves pick Edwards I'd lose all respect to that FO it'd be about politics and perception and catering to Russell and Towns, which is a terrible way of optimizing a nº1 pick

Also, regardless of what people think Ball is not only the better prospect but also the better fit


Why? What are your arguments?
Adding a prospect generally regarded as a top pick at a position/role of need shouldn't get treated with ' all respect to that FO it'd be about politics and perception and catering to Russell and Towns, which is a terrible way of optimizing a nº1 pick'. Is there something
More ghat you know?

generally regarded as means nothing, Edwards is a prospect I'd never take nº1, and no one smart would consider him, he is just way too risky and he doesn't carry the type of upside to be considered that high, position of need is something I strongly disagree with

I think Rosas and co are smart, and I have them in high regard as a front office, they know, or gotta know that you NEED a better perimeter creator, on-ball player, than D'Lo in time if you want to win, that guy is if anything Ball, nor Edwards

They also know that for some reason public perception is bad around Ball, and around his fit (which would be better than Edwards because he is way smarter, plays better on and off ball, makes quicker decisions and actually shows nice team defense concepts and understanding) with Russell esp, which I disagree with but tend to influence how the pick will be viewed/politics

So to me, if they do pick Edwards it would be mostly about catering to Russell, and obviously indirectly to Towns, and not about doing what's best for the franchise

You are going to need to have D'Angelo off ball often if you want to compete, it's just reality, and he can do that, he would be a much better player if that happens too

He may not need to do it at first when Ball is a rookie, obviously, and I'd bring LaMelo from the bench next to another PG, play him some with Russell too, but it has to happen if the Wolves want to be competitive enough so KAT doesn't bolt
aguiar95
Junior
Posts: 359
And1: 181
Joined: Mar 10, 2020
     

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#14 » by aguiar95 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:50 am

Fischella wrote:IF the Wolves pick Edwards I'd lose all respect to that FO it'd be about politics and perception and catering to Russell and Towns, which is a terrible way of optimizing a nº1 pick

Also, regardless of what people think Ball is not only the better prospect but also the better fit


If Saunders wants to make a step forward in his modern drive-and-kick system, Ball is by far the better fit, no doubt. Obviously he has to work on his weird shot mechanics to become the primary ball handler. MIN was 3rd in 3PA and 28th in 3PM, so they need to surround him with shooters. Right now only Towns, Beasley and Juancho have an acceptable percentage. Their core pieces in Russel, Okogie and Culver are putrid shooting the rock on C&S and I expect Ball to be bad as well. Not sure if they even make the pick, but they need some roster changes to become what Dallas/Houston are on offense.

If like you said, they want to make Towns happy, Edwards is the pick.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,438
And1: 2,152
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#15 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:35 am

Stillwater wrote:
Fischella wrote:The Wolves are 1000% not picking Edwards man

enlighten us as to how exactly you know this to be fact... dont buy they would take Wiseman[kat] or Ball[dlo] at all so unless they hate the idea of adding a 1st option athletic slasher who can fill it up better than current roster options they are taking Edwards

Fischela claims to know a lot of things. He thinks the Wolves are a lock to take Ball. he also has Pokusevski as the 3 or 4th best player in the draft.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,438
And1: 2,152
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 am

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:Edwards already posted himself in a wolves jersey on his insta story this morning

Image

Yep I kind of think this is proof of how misinformed this thread is. Also Edwards is totally on record about wanting to go #1 overall.
azwfan
General Manager
Posts: 9,803
And1: 1,786
Joined: May 21, 2004
     

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#17 » by azwfan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Unless he hates cold weather he absolutely should not tell any team to not draft him. The difference between being picked 1 & 2 is a substantial amount of money and the Wolves have a bright future (hopefully not in 2021 tho).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
The-Power
Head Coach
Posts: 6,170
And1: 5,334
Joined: Jan 03, 2014
Location: Germany
   

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#18 » by The-Power » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Fischella wrote:The Wolves are 1000% not picking Edwards man

Fischella wrote:IF the Wolves pick Edwards

So which one is it? ‘1000% not’ or ‘if’, i.e. a clear possibility.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,605
And1: 3,189
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:40 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Fischella wrote:The Wolves are 1000% not picking Edwards man

enlighten us as to how exactly you know this to be fact... dont buy they would take Wiseman[kat] or Ball[dlo] at all so unless they hate the idea of adding a 1st option athletic slasher who can fill it up better than current roster options they are taking Edwards

Fischela claims to know a lot of things. He thinks the Wolves are a lock to take Ball. he also has Pokusevski as the 3 or 4th best player in the draft.

Yeah I wouldnt take Poku before 5 lol
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
BostonCouchGM
Senior
Posts: 707
And1: 346
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka? 

Post#20 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:13 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Should Anthony Edwards pull and Luka and force the Wolves not to select him so he can end up with the GSW?

Few years ago, Luka asked the Kings not to select him and it worked. There is a huge culture difference and work environment difference between teaming up with Towns and teaming up with Curry.

Curry is still in his prime but will also be turning 33yr soon, and Edwards could be the new go to guy for the GSW 5 years down the line.


why are you assuming they'd take him? While it would make some sense, there are better options imo. Why do you believe Luka pulled something or that teams would care? Ayton is a top 5 center already and the consensus number one player prior to that draft. They already had a similar high usage guard with Booker so passing on Luka wasn't farfetched. Why are you assuming the Warriors would even want Edwards anyway? They're pretty set at SG and SF for the next several years and justifiably more concerned with getting healthy and competing for championships over the next few years than their roster five years from now.

Return to NBA Draft