He plays like a Gilbert Arenas
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Tyrell Terry 

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:15 pm

kobyz wrote:He plays like a Gilbert Arenas

But he's nowhere near as strong as Gil was. Gil would search out contact on his drives to the hoop. Terry wouldn't last playing that style in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#23 » by kobyz » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:
kobyz wrote:He plays like a Gilbert Arenas

But he's nowhere near as strong as Gil was. Gil would search out contact on his drives to the hoop. Terry wouldn't last playing that style in the NBA.

I mean Gilbert Arenas Arizona version
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,169

Post#24 » by mademan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:46 am

I think he goes lottery
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#25 » by doordoor123 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:20 am

It says something that he clearly has some flaws, but no one has anything bad to say about him.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#26 » by shangrila » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:07 am

doordoor123 wrote:It says something that he clearly has some flaws, but no one has anything bad to say about him.

Probably has to do with where he's mocked.

If people were talking about the Wolves taking him at 1 I'd be ripping him to shreds. When they talk about taking him at 17 and I can agree he'll be a good role player at worst.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#27 » by EvanZ » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:52 pm

doordoor123 wrote:It says something that he clearly has some flaws, but no one has anything bad to say about him.

I think everyone acknowledges his flaws already and there's not much disagreement there. His physical limitations are obvious to everyone and they seem to overwhelm other aspects of his game that could also be criticized, eg he's not an elite athlete, doesn't have an elite handle, etc. What more is there to say?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#28 » by getrichordie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 pm

That's true for a lot of guys in this draft.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#29 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:15 pm

He plays so much like Steph Curry. In a "weak" draft I would expect him to be in top 5 pick conversation. He wasn't featured at Stanford, the NBA is about stars, he just may be given a load in the NBA that he never had during his amateur years. I think that he is talented enough to handle the load. Steph, Dame, Trae, Tyrell...
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:17 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:He plays so much like Steph Curry. In a "weak" draft I would expect him to be in top 5 pick conversation. He wasn't featured at Stanford, the NBA is about stars, he just may be given a load in the NBA that he never had during his amateur years. I think that he is talented enough to handle the load. Steph, Dame, Trae, Tyrell...

There's just really no basis for this outside of the fact they were both small and can shoot. I saw Tyrell live 4 times this season. I specifically bought Stanford tickets for the first time in my life just to go watch him play. I think his skill level is underrated. But he is really nothing like those 3 guys overall. They are all in a different tier when it comes to ball handling ability. That is why he was not "featured" and the offense was not built around him, like it was those other guys. In fact, one can argue the Stanford offense helped hide some of Tyrell's most obvious weaknesses.

Again, this is coming from possibly the biggest Tyrell Terry fan on the planet. I started the real Tyrell Terry thread in November (https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=79915119#p79915119). I started tweeting about him back in November. I went to see him play live 4 times. Can't really call me a hater.

But no, he is not Steph Curry. He is not Trae. He is not Dame.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#31 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:He plays so much like Steph Curry. In a "weak" draft I would expect him to be in top 5 pick conversation. He wasn't featured at Stanford, the NBA is about stars, he just may be given a load in the NBA that he never had during his amateur years. I think that he is talented enough to handle the load. Steph, Dame, Trae, Tyrell...

There's just really no basis for this outside of the fact they were both small and can shoot. I saw Tyrell live 4 times this season. I specifically bought Stanford tickets for the first time in my life just to go watch him play. I think his skill level is underrated. But he is really nothing like those 3 guys overall. They are all in a different tier when it comes to ball handling ability. That is why he was not "featured" and the offense was not built around him, like it was those other guys. In fact, one can argue the Stanford offense helped hide some of Tyrell's most obvious weaknesses.

Again, this is coming from possibly the biggest Tyrell Terry fan on the planet. I started the real Tyrell Terry thread in November (https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=79915119#p79915119). I started tweeting about him back in November. I went to see him play live 4 times. Can't really call me a hater.

But no, he is not Steph Curry. He is not Trae. He is not Dame.

Does Stanford ever feature freshmen? Steph wasn't a great ballhandler at the same age, which was a major part in why he returned for his junior season.

EvanZ
RealGM

Post#32 » by EvanZ » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote: Does Stanford ever feature freshmen? Steph wasn't a great ballhandler at the same age, which was a major part in why he returned for his junior season.

Terry isn't even that young. He'll be 20 in 2 weeks. Furthermore in his FR season Steph got off 299 3PA at 40%. That's twice as many as Terry.

So yes, Steph was a better ball handler at the same age (if not younger), and even if they were similar you can't just assume the same sort of developmental curve for any aribtrary player. Steph did what he did. That doesn't mean every player who can't handle the ball at 20 will suddenly become an elite ball handler. That's just faulty logic.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#33 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:55 am

EvanZ wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote: Does Stanford ever feature freshmen? Steph wasn't a great ballhandler at the same age, which was a major part in why he returned for his junior season.

Terry isn't even that young. He'll be 20 in 2 weeks. Furthermore in his FR season Steph got off 299 3PA at 40%. That's twice as many as Terry.

So yes, Steph was a better ball handler at the same age (if not younger), and even if they were similar you can't just assume the same sort of developmental curve for any aribtrary player. Steph did what he did. That doesn't mean every player who can't handle the ball at 20 will suddenly become an elite ball handler. That's just faulty logic.

Steph played on an inferior level of basketball. If Tyrell played on a similarly inferior level, his head coach would probably build the offense around him and you would automatically think his handle were better because he shot the ball more. Dame is not a great ballhandler, he relies on ball screens to get into the paint against good defenses. This is part of why he disappears at times although he has the ultimate greenlight. Weber State isn't a school for well regarded prospects. Trae out of the four of them is the only one considered special at age 19.

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#34 » by doordoor123 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:06 am

Hand size has a big correlation for developing a handle because it’s easier to control the ball when dribbling if your hands are huge.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#35 » by EvanZ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:31 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Steph played on an inferior level of basketball. If Tyrell played on a similarly inferior level, his head coach would probably build the offense around him and you would automatically think his handle were better because he shot the ball more. Dame is not a great ballhandler, he relies on ball screens to get into the paint against good defenses. This is part of why he disappears at times although he has the ultimate greenlight. Weber State isn't a school for well regarded prospects. Trae out of the four of them is the only one considered special at age 19.

Steph turned 20 a couple weeks before he took Davidson to the Elite 8 as a Sophomore. But yeah, he wasn't special at 19. :lol: :banghead: :crazy:
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#36 » by EvanZ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 am

doordoor123 wrote:Hand size has a big correlation for developing a handle because it’s easier to control the ball when dribbling if your hands are huge.

What was this in response to?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#37 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

lol, looks like someone forgot how good Steph was in college.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#38 » by EvanZ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 am

clyde21 wrote:

More likely he never watched him.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#39 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:27 am

clyde21 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

This is an NBA draft forum, the point remains, only Young was the special NBA prospect entering college and at age 19. Everything else is "Jimmer" babble.

EvanZ
RealGM

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
This is an NBA draft forum, the point remains, only Young was the special NBA prospect entering college and at age 19. Everything else is "Jimmer" babble.

Yeah, I'll say again, you're just wrong. Steph was special and if you are too young to have watched him play, I'm sorry for you.

Return to NBA Draft