2020 NBA Draft Combine Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

2020 NBA Draft Combine Thread 

Post#1 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:02 pm

The NBA announced that NBA Draft Combine 2020 has been reformatted to be conducted both in NBA team markets and virtually, taking place in phases beginning Sept. 28 and continuing through early to mid-November. The reimagined Combine will continue to provide NBA teams with player evaluation opportunities during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

NBA Draft Combine 2020 will give players the opportunity to participate in league and team interviews, both conducted via videoconference from Sept. 28 through Oct. 16. Players will also take part in an individual on-court program consisting of strength and agility testing, anthropometric measurements, shooting drills and a “Pro Day” video, all conducted in October at the NBA team facility nearest to a player’s home or interim residence. Medical testing and examinations will be performed by NBA-affiliated physicians in the same market.

As part of the event’s innovative format, the NBA will incorporate HomeCourt, a mobile basketball training application that uses advanced machine learning and computer vision, to provide analytics and record the shooting evaluation portion of NBA Combine 2020 and for players to create a unique “Pro Day” video. The video, used to showcase a player’s skills, may feature only the individual player (and either a coach or trainer) and can be up to 45 minutes long. HomeCourt is developed by NEX Team, Inc., an NBA strategic partner.

Additionally, the NBA has expanded its use of “Combine HQ,” an online tool developed by Fusion Sport in its software platform Smartabase. An interactive online platform, Combine HQ provides NBA teams with a one-stop shop for scouting information gathered during the on-court portions of this year’s Combine. Using Combine HQ, NBA teams and scouts will be able to compare participating players to their peers, past Combine participants and current NBA players, and view detailed shot charts and statistics.

NBA Draft 2020 presented by State Farm is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, Nov. 18 and will air on ESPN. The date remains subject to change as circumstances warrant

Can't wait - let's collect all data/info here.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Combine Thread 

Post#2 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:15 am

LaMelo Ball among those participating in 2020 NBA Draft Combine
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/lamelo-ball-among-those-participating-113048555.html

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:32 am

Martin , Mane , Knight and Forrest along with Diakite and Azubuike are really odd adds to the combine with many others that should have gotten an invite left out.
I call bs on actual team interest I mean where is Poku,Kurucs,Bolmaro & Krejci , what about clutch college performers last season like Nate Hinton, Breein Tyree and Saddiq Bey?
dumb as f that Pat WIlliams & Vassell are not included either I guess maybe they opted out since others like Okongwu definitely got invited...the combine is a fail this year imo
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:41 am

Stillwater wrote:Martin , Mane , Knight and Forrest along with Diakite and Azubuike are really odd adds to the combine with many others that should have gotten an invite left out.
I call bs on actual team interest I mean where is Poku,Kurucs,Bolmaro & Krejci , what about clutch college performers last season like Nate Hinton, Breein Tyree and Saddiq Bey?
dumb as f that Pat WIlliams & Vassell are not included either I guess maybe they opted out since others like Okongwu definitely got invited...the combine is a fail this year imo

Im somewhat surprised by players like Toppin opted out. I believe he was set up to fall already and probably will slide now either way (not that I would grab him top ten).

Loads of focus.on insights and ability to read plays and vids this year I think.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:16 am

Stillwater wrote:Martin , Mane , Knight and Forrest along with Diakite and Azubuike are really odd adds to the combine with many others that should have gotten an invite left out.

A lot of the guys you mentioned were invited and declined, including PatWill, Vassell, Bey, Bolmaro (he's staying in Europe even if he's drafted), and Poku.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:21 am

EvanZ wrote:

A lot of the guys you mentioned were invited and declined, including PatWill, Vassell, Bey, Bolmaro (he's staying in Europe even if he's drafted), and Poku.

yeah in retrospect that makes more sense than them not being invited, still mad about it since there are questions left unanswered by it and makes me lean towards CLE going a different direction than I originally saw. I would not be surprised if they do in fact trade out
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:02 am

NBA Draft Combine 2020 will give players the opportunity to participate in league and team interviews, both conducted via videoconference from Sept. 28 through Oct. 16. Players will also take part in an individual on-court program consisting of strength and agility testing, anthropometric measurements, shooting drills and a “Pro Day” video, all conducted in October at the NBA team facility nearest to a player’s home or interim residence. Medical testing and examinations will be performed by NBA-affiliated physicians in the same market.

Anybody heard updates regarding this? Only 9 days left before it's November.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#8 » by pad300 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:00 am

Read on Twitter

Apparently, Nnaji has had his measurements done...
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#9 » by CptCrunch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 am

pad300 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Reminds me of Mason Plumlee except younger, blacker and maybe a smidge more athletic (Plumdog is likely faster). Otherwise, "7" footers athletes like these with some basketball skills aren't that common.

6'11.25" w/o shoes
6'11" wingspan
238.2 lbs
9.75" hands
30.5" no step
36" max vertical
3.29 3/4 court sprint
10.89 lane agility
2.76 shuttle
arusinov
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#10 » by arusinov » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:26 am

pad300 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Those measurements are really very good... and as expected I've already seen on reddit opinions that they are too good and that this year "combine" data is unreliable.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#11 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:56 pm

Those are great measurables for Nnaji but when I watch him he really seems like a master of none. I dont really find a trait that he stands out in.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 pm

There is very little public information regarding any prospects updated anthro athletic testing data etc since so many are using it as a tool to go where they want. Only the ones with little else to offer and need to raise the flag like Nnaji will benefit from sharing it
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:19 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Those are great measurables for Nnaji but when I watch him he really seems like a master of none. I dont really find a trait that he stands out in.

Running the floor and getting back on defense. He’s one of the quicker guys at his size that I’ve seen. I don’t expect him to be a scorer, but I think he can become a really useful defender and a guy that can get a lot of easy buckets. Plus he has the potential to shoot threes in his future. I’m a big fan. Think he should easily be a late first rounder.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:54 pm

Running the floor and getting back on defense. He’s one of the quicker guys at his size that I’ve seen.

This seems to imply defense, and at AZ going simply off metrics he wasnt a good defender by any means. Albeit I have not watched him so I cant make a concrete assessment simply off stats.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:14 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Running the floor and getting back on defense. He’s one of the quicker guys at his size that I’ve seen.

This seems to imply defense, and at AZ going simply off metrics he wasnt a good defender by any means. Albeit I have not watched him so I cant make a concrete assessment simply off stats.

Hes's better than his stats show. He has no problem defending the perimeter, just needs to work on his footwork. His interior defense isnt great, but mostly because he needs to gain weight. He's also a pretty good finisher in general. He's a back up running 5 IMO. He's pretty raw in general, but gives a lot of energy and has room to grow.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#16 » by pad300 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:04 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Hes's better than his stats show. He has no problem defending the perimeter, just needs to work on his footwork. His interior defense isnt great, but mostly because he needs to gain weight. He's also a pretty good finisher in general. He's a back up running 5 IMO. He's pretty raw in general, but gives a lot of energy and has room to grow.

His measured weight is 247.8. How heavy do you want him to get?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:56 pm

pad300 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Hes's better than his stats show. He has no problem defending the perimeter, just needs to work on his footwork. His interior defense isnt great, but mostly because he needs to gain weight. He's also a pretty good finisher in general. He's a back up running 5 IMO. He's pretty raw in general, but gives a lot of energy and has room to grow.

His measured weight is 247.8. How heavy do you want him to get?

Lol he likely gained weight over the break. But this is an interesting topic in general. Usually before the draft the players don't have a lot of time to develop their game before the season and they usually do it after their first season when they have their first real long break. Now these players have had the time to work on their bodies and their craft. I can believe guys have become better shooters during the break. Plus they have all these guys breaking down their game and telling them how they could use the long break. I think this is a real special opportunity for these draft prospects to show they've used the time to get better and I think that should raise draft stocks. I also think we'll get some surprises from this alone. While this class hasnt been as skilled, the size of this class is pretty great and a lot of guys have that one thing that can translate right away.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#18 » by getrichordie » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:39 am

Tre Jones

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Daniel Oturu

Read on Twitter
[twitter] @thunderdustin
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:20 am

I really like Oturu. He's a 6'10 dude that can dribble the ball. I think in like four years he's going to be really good.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#20 » by getrichordie » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:16 am

Interesting....

Read on Twitter
?s=21
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to NBA Draft