Alperen Şengün

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Re: Alperen Şengün 

Post#401 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:36 pm

Why is this kid so polarizing? Makes me nervous. Doesn't seem to be a prospect who inspires a healthy level of consensus. I know prospectors treated LaMelo like a lightning rod but most mocks had him top 3 and they were right. I've seen numerous mocks lately that omit this kid or have him buried in the first round. Picks 6-12 seem to generate more certainty although that may change with the combine. 6-12 is kind of flat in my opinion. It seems division in evaluations is like splitting hairs. ESPN had him 14 on May 12. Tankathon drops him whenever the Hornets move out of 11. Hornets need a center but will go BPA. Hell just last season we had Devonte' Graham and Rozier capable of running offense and we drafted a point guard. Miles and PJ also profile best at the same position and were selected in consecutive drafts.

Is he gonna be elite at spacing?
Elite at playmaking?
Elite at rim protection?
Elite athlete?
Elite handler?

What?
It has been written...
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#402 » by Charm » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:54 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Why is this kid so polarizing? Makes me nervous. Doesn't seem to be a prospect who inspires a healthy level of consensus. I know prospectors treated LaMelo like a lightning rod but most mocks had him top 3 and they were right. I've seen numerous mocks lately that omit this kid or have him buried in the first round. Picks 6-12 seem to generate more certainty although that may change with the combine. 6-12 is kind of flat in my opinion. It seems division in evaluations is like splitting hairs. ESPN had him 14 on May 12. Tankathon drops him whenever the Hornets move out of 11. Hornets need a center but will go BPA. Hell just last season we had Devonte' Graham and Rozier capable of running offense and we drafted a point guard. Miles and PJ also profile best at the same position and were selected in consecutive drafts.

Elite at playmaking?
Elite at rim protection?
Elite athlete?
Elite handler?

What?

Statistically he’s a better playmaker than any other 18 year old C in history, other than perhaps Jokic, and the film backs it up. So that’s a good starting point if you’re wondering how he stands out.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#403 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Charm wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Why is this kid so polarizing? Makes me nervous. Doesn't seem to be a prospect who inspires a healthy level of consensus. I know prospectors treated LaMelo like a lightning rod but most mocks had him top 3 and they were right. I've seen numerous mocks lately that omit this kid or have him buried in the first round. Picks 6-12 seem to generate more certainty although that may change with the combine. 6-12 is kind of flat in my opinion. It seems division in evaluations is like splitting hairs. ESPN had him 14 on May 12. Tankathon drops him whenever the Hornets move out of 11. Hornets need a center but will go BPA. Hell just last season we had Devonte' Graham and Rozier capable of running offense and we drafted a point guard. Miles and PJ also profile best at the same position and were selected in consecutive drafts.

Elite at playmaking?
Elite at rim protection?
Elite athlete?
Elite handler?

What?

Statistically he’s a better playmaker than any other 18 year old C in history, other than perhaps Jokic, and the film backs it up. So that’s a good starting point if you’re wondering how he stands out.

He's an elite playmaker? I haven't seen that anywhere.
It has been written...
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#404 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:03 pm

Charm wrote:Statistically he’s a better playmaker than any other 18 year old C in history, other than perhaps Jokic, and the film backs it up. So that’s a good starting point if you’re wondering how he stands out.

He is not a center. :lol:

I mean you can keep saying it, but he's just not. In terms of "playmaking", Poku was much better at the same age. Let's just call him a center and voila, you're statement is wrong.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#405 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:04 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Charm wrote:

Elite at playmaking?
Elite at rim protection?
Elite athlete?
Elite handler?

What?

He's an elite playmaker? I haven't seen that anywhere.

He's not. Honestly at this point I think there's a non-zero chance that "Charm" has some skin in the Sengun game. Agent, father, friend? He's like the CJ Elleby shill that was here last cycle.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Charm
Junior

Post#406 » by Charm » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Charm wrote:Statistically he’s a better playmaker than any other 18 year old C in history, other than perhaps Jokic, and the film backs it up. So that’s a good starting point if you’re wondering how he stands out.

I mean you can keep saying it, but he's just not. In terms of "playmaking", Poku was much better at the same age. Let's just call him a center and voila, you're statement is wrong.

I’m new here…I take it you’re the resident troll? If so, I’m very impressed, keep up the good work.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#407 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 am

Charm wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I’m new here…I take it you’re the resident troll? If so, I’m very impressed, keep up the good work.

If that ain't projection, I don't know what is.
Charm
Junior

Post#408 » by Charm » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:05 am

EvanZ wrote:
Charm wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

If that ain't projection, I don't know what is.

I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt by calling you a troll here…if you’re being serious, and you can’t understand why Sengun’s a center and Poku is not, that’s almost unbelievable to me. I came here wondering if there’s intelligent life on other basketball forums, and you ain’t it.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,654

Post#409 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:11 am

I think he's the 5th best prospect in the draft. Hes certainly the most accomplished and productive player in the draft. I think hes underrated because he doesn't fit the mold of a modern big so theres questions about how he fits a traditional roster.

The reality is that hes so skilled, talented, and productive that his ability will force whichever team drafts him into playing a unique style of basketball similar to what Jokic did for the Nuggets. This is a good thing. With every team in the NBA trying to do the same damn thing you have to either try something different OR try and do the same thing better than 29 other teams.

This kid will rebound at an extremely high level. He will score inside at an extremely high level. He will pass at an extremely high level. He will get to the line at an extremely high level and knock those shots down. Players with his feel and block/steal numbers inevitably turn into strong defenders over time. And given his skill level and foul shooting there should be solid reason to believe he can develop a nice jumper over time.

What are his real concerns? That he's an undersized center? Size for bigs matters less and less every damn year. This is going to much less of a concern in 2026 than it will be in 2022. That he's not hyper athletic? Play him in drop coverage.

Outside of Cade, Mobley, Green and Suggs all these prospects have significant warts. I'm rolling the dice with the most accomplished and productive player in the draft before I'm drafting someone like Kuminga who doesn't have any standout attributes besides athleticism.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#410 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:10 am

Roger Murdock wrote:I think he's the 5th best prospect in the draft. Hes certainly the most accomplished and productive player in the draft. I think hes underrated because he doesn't fit the mold of a modern big so theres questions about how he fits a traditional roster.

The reality is that hes so skilled, talented, and productive that his ability will force whichever team drafts him into playing a unique style of basketball similar to what Jokic did for the Nuggets. This is a good thing. With every team in the NBA trying to do the same damn thing you have to either try something different OR try and do the same thing better than 29 other teams.

This kid will rebound at an extremely high level. He will score inside at an extremely high level. He will pass at an extremely high level. He will get to the line at an extremely high level and knock those shots down. Players with his feel and block/steal numbers inevitably turn into strong defenders over time. And given his skill level and foul shooting there should be solid reason to believe he can develop a nice jumper over time.

What are his real concerns? That he's an undersized center? Size for bigs matters less and less every damn year. This is going to much less of a concern in 2026 than it will be in 2022. That he's not hyper athletic? Play him in drop coverage.

Outside of Cade, Mobley, Green and Suggs all these prospects have significant warts. I'm rolling the dice with the most accomplished and productive player in the draft before I'm drafting someone like Kuminga who doesn't have any standout attributes besides athleticism.

So he's Kevin Love? Got it.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#411 » by bon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 am

EvanZ wrote:

Sabonis
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,654

Post#412 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:21 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:I think he's the 5th best prospect in the draft. Hes certainly the most accomplished and productive player in the draft. I think hes underrated because he doesn't fit the mold of a modern big so theres questions about how he fits a traditional roster.

That’s not what I’m saying at all but it’s a really weird ‘gotcha’ when Love has had a tremendously productive career. You do you though. Your comments thus thread add no value and are all straw-men.
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#413 » by greenandgold » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Love made the Allstar team 5x and will have career earnings of $266 million. If that’s who Segen is then he’s a Top 5 pick in this draft.

If Love had been drafted by a different franchise he might have won a lot more games. Does the organization have a plan to surround their stars with the right complementary pieces?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#414 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:49 pm

If you people learn how to read you'd see that I already said his ceiling is Kevin Love like 20 pages ago. LMAO

I'm glad y'all come around to what this "troll" is saying.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#415 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:50 pm

EvanZ wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:I get that he's an outlier in terms of production at his age, but man he just does not pass the eye test for me at all in terms of NBA fit/ability. Does anyone really think it's a good idea to draft a big in the top 10 who doesn't look like he'll be an elite defender, doesn't space the floor, doesn't have stand out physical measurements/athleticism, and isn't a special playmaker?

I think he will space the floor and be a special playmaker actually. For the sake of argument let's say his ceiling is Kevin Love. Is that worth a top 10 pick in 2021? Maybe.

But yeah, I guess I'm a Sengun "hater". :lol: Look at the trolling! :banghead:

Once again, for those who lack reading comprehension. I like Sengun. But he is not a starting center. Neither was Kevin Love.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#416 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:56 pm

The good news is he'll likely have some more games to play in Olympic Qualifying tournaments pre-draft. All of these players are just going to be gaming the combine/team workout drills. There will be more evidence out there, good or bad.

I'll admit I'm less confident in Green and Kuminga playing in a league that is pretty much open run against guys chasing 10 days for a small sample. Sengun seems like he has the upside to be a top 3 player in the draft. I think his floor is someone like Montrazl Harrell who is situational but provides easy buckets and energy for good teams.
Charm
Junior

Post#417 » by Charm » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:49 pm

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:I get that he's an outlier in terms of production at his age, but man he just does not pass the eye test for me at all in terms of NBA fit/ability. Does anyone really think it's a good idea to draft a big in the top 10 who doesn't look like he'll be an elite defender, doesn't space the floor, doesn't have stand out physical measurements/athleticism, and isn't a special playmaker?

I think he will space the floor and be a special playmaker actually. For the sake of argument let's say his ceiling is Kevin Love. Is that worth a top 10 pick in 2021? Maybe.

Once again, for those who lack reading comprehension. I like Sengun. But he is not a starting center. Neither was Kevin Love.

Just so we're on the same page here...

-You think Sengun is the same size as Love: 6'7.75" in socks, 6'11.25" wingspan
-You think, therefore, that Sengun is too undersized to play center
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#418 » by Hal14 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:06 pm

EvanZ wrote:

Why must we always draw comparisons?

Why does every prospect have to be the same thing as a current/former NBA player?

Who did people compare Jokic to? He's unique.

Who did people compare Doncic to? He's unique.

What about Pippen? Before he came along, who else was a 6'8" insanely athletic wing who could jump out of a gym, insanely quick, defend the hell out of people but was raw in terms of handle/driving/shooting....who else was like that before Pippen?

Arvydas Sabonis? When he was in his prime, had we ever before seen a guy over 7 feet who had that combination of strength/power/brute force combined with 3-point shooting, agility, shot blocking and insane passing and the ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket?

Durant.

Nowitzki.

LeBron.

These guys were all unique.

Why can't Sengun just be...Sengun?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#419 » by Hal14 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

1) Kevin Love is only 6'8". Sengun is 6'10". If Love was 6'10", yes he'd be a center. You do know who the Cavs center was when Love won a title with them in 2016, right? Tristan Thompson, who's only 6'9"...Sengun is 6'10".

2) Most of Love's prime was 2010-2015...that's 6-11 years ago. Since that time, we've seen a steady increase in small ball lineups and a shift where more teams play a smaller center than they used to, a smaller guy at the 4 than they used to, with more emphasis on guards/wings who are quick/athletic and can shoot the basketball
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,073
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#420 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:28 pm

Sabonis has played more minutes at C than he has at PF, and would play almost exclusively there on most teams that don’t have another quality starter that can only play C. I’m not sure why someone would be hung up on Sabonis not being C sized.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to NBA Draft