Alperen Şengün

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Re: Alperen Şengün 

Post#421 » by Hal14 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Sabonis has played more minutes at C than he has at PF, and would play almost exclusively there on most teams that don’t have another quality starter that can only play C. I’m not sure why someone would be hung up on Sabonis not being C sized.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Someone who has an agenda.

Or someone who can't comprehend how a guy who's 6'10" with a 7'0" wingspan and 240 lbs. could possibly play center in the NBA.

e's not athletic? hmm, that's interesting, this is the first I'm hearing that a guy who threw down a 1 hand dunk from 2 feet outside the restricted area on one play, jumped from 2 feet outside the restricted area on another play to make a chase down block, and on another play threw down a 360 dunk, did all of those in a professional game at age 18, I didn't know a guy could do those things and not be athletic lol
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,217

Post#422 » by SNPA » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:00 pm

He has NBA athleticism and appears to have enough size to play center in this era. For the difficulties of roster construction he poses at center he poses even more at PF. I think you draft him as a center that can play in some two big sets. I don’t see how he defends all these modern fours who are really big wings.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#423 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:42 pm

Hal14 wrote:
e's not athletic? hmm, that's interesting, this is the first I'm hearing that a guy who threw down a 1 hand dunk from 2 feet outside the restricted area on one play, jumped from 2 feet outside the restricted area on another play to make a chase down block, and on another play threw down a 360 dunk, did all of those in a professional game at age 18, I didn't know a guy could do those things and not be athletic lol

Tell me something. Why is Blake Griffin such a terrible defender? I mean he can dunk a basketball too, right?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#424 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:44 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Or someone who can't comprehend how a guy who's 6'10" with a 7'0" wingspan and 240 lbs. could possibly play center in the NBA.

Give me the list of *starting* NBA centers with these measurements.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#425 » by Charm » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm

I'm glad this discussion happened, because I'm starting to think that Sengun may be a bit bigger than I initially thought (thanks to that Mirotic user for pointing out that listed heights for international guys are typically barefoot).

Consider this film of his Besiktas teammate Osmani. Can you see a significant size difference between Osmani and Sengun (23)?

Osmani measured 6'10.5" in socks, 7'0" in shoes at the 2018 NBA Global camp (https://eurospects.com/2018-europeans-measurements), but like Sengun still has a 6'9" figure floating around the interwebs that's probably well out of date.

Overall though I agree with Evan that you can't necessarily determine whether a guy can play center by looking at measurements alone. What matters is whether he can rebound and block shots at an acceptable level. If he can't, then he's probably going to be a defensive liability at center. That's what forces guys like Griffin, Bagley, Love, Saric, and Sabonis (poor shot blocking for one reason or another) over to PF. It's also what forces some skinnier or less-physical 7-footers over to PF (poor rebounding).

Fortunately for Sengun, there's plenty of evidence that he's an excellent rebounder and a very good shot blocker.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#426 » by Hal14 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:38 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Capela 6'10", 240 lbs (exact same measurements as Sengun)
Jakob Poeltl 7'0", 229 lbs (2 inches taller than Sengun but Sengun has 11 lbs on Poeltl so I'd say they are in the same ballpark)
Blake Griffin 6'9", 249 lbs. (sengun is 1 inch taller but 9 lbs lighter, same ballpark)
Biyombo 6'8", 255 lbs. (sengun is 2 inches taller, 15 lbs less, same ballpark)
Kelly Olynyk (started a lot at center after trade to houston) 6'11", 240 lbs (same weight, olynyk 1 inch taller, same ballpark)
Plumlee 6'11", 236 lbs, (sengun 1 inch short but 4 lbs heavier, same ballpark)
Zubac 7'0", 240 lbs (same weight as sengun, zubac 2 inches taller, same ballpark)
Batum (has started for clippers at center in game 1 vs jazz) 6'8", 200 lbs (sengun significantly bigger)
Al Horford 6'9", 240 lbs (Sengun same weight and 1 inch taller so he is slightly bigger)
Christian Wood (started at center for rockets most of the time when he was healthy) 6'10", 215 lbs (sengun same height, 25 lbs heavier so obviously sengun is bigger)
Holmes 6'10", 235 lbs (sengun slightly bigger)
Bam 6'9", 255 lbs, (Sengun 1 inch taller, 15 lbs lighter, same ballpark)
Anthony Davis (starts quite a bit at center for lakers) 6'10", 254 lbs (same height, 14 lbs more than Sengun, same ballpark)
Robert williams (when healthy starts for celtics at center), 6'8", 237 lbs (sengun is a little bigger obviously)
Nerlens Noel (started for knicks 2nd half of season after robinson injury), 6'11", 220 lbs (sengun 1 inch shorter but 20 lbs heavier, same ballpark)
Tristan Thompson (started at center most of season for celtics) 6'9", 238 lbs, (sengun obviously a little bigger)
Mo Bamba (started at center quite a bit for magic after the Vucevic trade) 7'0", 231 lbs (sengun 2 inches short but 9 lbs heavier, same ballpark
Looney (started at center most of the time when wiseman was out) 6'9", 222 lbs (sengun obviously bigger)
Theis (started at center all last year for celtics team that made ECF), 6'8", 245 (sengun2. inches taller, theis 5 lbs heavier, same ballpark)
Kleiber (started quite a bit for Mavs, including almost every game in the clippers series), 6'10", 240 lbs (same measurements as sengun)
Jarrett Allen 6'11", 243 lbs (only 1 inch and 3 lbs bigger than sengun, basically same ballpark)

Pretty sure the list of 4's Sengun is bigger than is just as long, if not longer

Turner and Towns are only a little bigger than sengun. Sabonis would be a center on most teams - he's same weight as sengun, 1 inch taller so same ballpark. Guys like Kanter, Nurkic and Drummond are bigger but they're so slow and lack any type of perimeter game that they are rapidly becoming unplaybable, especially in the playoffs.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#427 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:41 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Tell me something. Why is Blake Griffin such a terrible defender? I mean he can dunk a basketball too, right?

Mostly effort and awareness. Blake’s length keeps him from being an all time great rim protector, but smaller and less athletic players were great defenders because they played harder and smarter defense.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#428 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:15 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Mostly effort and awareness. Blake’s length keeps him from being an all time great rim protector, but smaller and less athletic players were great defenders because they played harder and smarter defense.

That's part of it. The real answer is he's just slow-footed laterally. That's the part that you have to worry about Sengun. It's laughable that some people think because a guy can dunk he is automatically "athletic" at every aspect of the game. Obi Toppin a great example of a guy who most people think is super "athletic", when that really just means he's vertically explosive. But he's slow as hell in every other direction.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#429 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:19 am

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Jakob Poeltl 7'0", 229 lbs (2 inches taller than Sengun but Sengun has 11 lbs on Poeltl so I'd say they are in the same ballpark)
Blake Griffin 6'9", 249 lbs. (sengun is 1 inch taller but 9 lbs lighter, same ballpark)
Kelly Olynyk (started a lot at center after trade to houston) 6'11", 240 lbs (same weight, olynyk 1 inch taller, same ballpark)
Zubac 7'0", 240 lbs (same weight as sengun, zubac 2 inches taller, same ballpark)
Batum (has started for clippers at center in game 1 vs jazz) 6'8", 200 lbs (sengun significantly bigger)
Al Horford 6'9", 240 lbs (Sengun same weight and 1 inch taller so he is slightly bigger)
Christian Wood (started at center for rockets most of the time when he was healthy) 6'10", 215 lbs (sengun same height, 25 lbs heavier so obviously sengun is bigger)
Anthony Davis (starts quite a bit at center for lakers) 6'10", 254 lbs (same height, 14 lbs more than Sengun, same ballpark)
Robert williams (when healthy starts for celtics at center), 6'8", 237 lbs (sengun is a little bigger obviously)
Nerlens Noel (started for knicks 2nd half of season after robinson injury), 6'11", 220 lbs (sengun 1 inch shorter but 20 lbs heavier, same ballpark)
Tristan Thompson (started at center most of season for celtics) 6'9", 238 lbs, (sengun obviously a little bigger)
Mo Bamba (started at center quite a bit for magic after the Vucevic trade) 7'0", 231 lbs (sengun 2 inches short but 9 lbs heavier, same ballpark
Looney (started at center most of the time when wiseman was out) 6'9", 222 lbs (sengun obviously bigger)
Theis (started at center all last year for celtics team that made ECF), 6'8", 245 (sengun2. inches taller, theis 5 lbs heavier, same ballpark)
Kleiber (started quite a bit for Mavs, including almost every game in the clippers series), 6'10", 240 lbs (same measurements as sengun)
Jarrett Allen 6'11", 243 lbs (only 1 inch and 3 lbs bigger than sengun, basically same ballpark)

What a ridiculous list. Half the guys have much longer wingspans/reach than Sengun and the other half are simply not starting centers. Blake Griffin was never a starting center until LaMarcus Aldridge retired LOL.

For example, Looney 7'3" ws. Robert Williams 7'5" wingspan. Clint Capela 7'5" wingspan. You can't just ignore that man as much as you seem eager to.

Once again, please give me the list of *starting centers* who are 6'10" 240lbs with a 7' wingspan. You get one more try.
Charm
Junior

Post#430 » by Charm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:21 am

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

What a ridiculous list. Half the guys have much longer wingspans/reach than Sengun and the other half are simply not starting centers. Blake Griffin was never a starting center until LaMarcus Aldridge retired LOL.

For example, Looney 7'3" ws. Robert Williams 7'5" wingspan. Clint Capela 7'5" wingspan. You can't just ignore that man as much as you seem eager to.

Once again, please give me the list of *starting centers* who are 6'10" 240lbs with a 7' wingspan. You get one more try.

If you think he's a PF, maybe you could try to find some PFs who're 6'10" 240lbs with a 7' wingspan. That'd make your case more convincing.

Or at any point we could agree that a player's position depends less on whether his height is above or below some arbitrary cutoff, and more on the skills he brings to the table. I think we all know that there's no perfect 1:1 correlation between physical measurements and rebounding/shot blocking impact, especially when you get down to margins of single inches between players.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#431 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 am

The thing is we both agree he’s big enough to be a 4. Nobody is questioning that. The question is how many starting centers are his size, which is basically the same size as Kevin Love or Domantas Sabonis. The answer is very very few.
Charm
Junior

Post#432 » by Charm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:52 am

EvanZ wrote:The thing is we both agree he’s big enough to be a 4. Nobody is questioning that. The question is how many starting centers are his size, which is basically the same size as Kevin Love or Domantas Sabonis. The answer is very very few.

If he's bigger than almost all 4's, and a better rebounder than almost all 4's, and a better shot blocker than almost all 4's...then...maybe he's not a 4?

It's not complicated.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#433 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:55 am

Charm wrote:
EvanZ wrote:The thing is we both agree he’s big enough to be a 4. Nobody is questioning that. The question is how many starting centers are his size, which is basically the same size as Kevin Love or Domantas Sabonis. The answer is very very few.

If he's bigger than almost all 4's, and a better rebounder than almost all 4's, and a better shot blocker than almost all 4's...then...maybe he's not a 4?

It's not complicated.

It's not complicated at all, because he's obviously a 4. Let me ask you this. What is the team that is drafting him that will start him at the 5 in your opinion? Charlotte?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#434 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:18 am

EvanZ wrote:
Charm wrote:

It's not complicated.

It's not complicated at all, because he's obviously a 4. Let me ask you this. What is the team that is drafting him that will start him at the 5 in your opinion? Charlotte?

1) Charlotte. Toronto. Oklahoma City. Washington. Golden State (if they trade Wiseman, lots of trade rumors swirling around), Orlando, Pelicans (trying to trade adams and even if they keep him for 1 more year, that 1 year you bring sengun off the bench behind Adams and then start sengun in 2022-2023 once adams is gone), Spurs, Celtics, Knicks..

2) also, why are you deflecting the question charm asked you? He asked you why is it that Sengun is bigger than pretty much every 4 in the league..yet you don't think he's a 5, even though In just listed out like 15 starting 5's who are same size as sengun, smaller than sengun or in same ballpark size-wise as sengun..
Charm
Junior

Post#435 » by Charm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:29 am

EvanZ wrote:
Charm wrote:

It's not complicated.

Is this a trick question? Only a few teams drafting in the lottery or the teens are heavily invested in a true center (Warriors, Cavs if they extend Allen, Pacers if they think Turner can stay healthy), and they probably won't draft Sengun to play him out of position at the 4.

I wish you could understand how funny this is. He's literally a just few weeks removed from an MVP season at the 5, and you're saying that's "obviously" not his position. I can tell that you're mainly an NCAA guy (and as I mentioned before, I'm actually in really close agreement with you on most NCAA prospects). But when it comes to international prospects, I suggest that you do a little homework instead of doubling down on random hot takes.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#436 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:22 am

Charm wrote:It's funny that some people think an unathletic nothing-special 18-year-old could win MVP in Turkey. Probably the same people who thought Doncic was an unathletic nothing-special wing a few years ago.

Yep. And he looks pretty athletic to me.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#437 » by EMG518 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 am

Anyone whom thinks this kid is playing the 4 has lost it. Have you watched the kids feet move for a second.
Charm
Junior

Post#438 » by Charm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:43 pm

EMG518 wrote:Anyone whom thinks this kid is playing the 4 has lost it. Have you watched the kids feet move for a second.

Yeah, i'm obviously a big fan...but...I don't think you want Sengun chasing wings around the 3-point line, and he'll be doing a lot of that if he plays PF. Not his ideal role.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#439 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:13 pm

If you don't think he can be a 4, then it means he probably shouldn't be a high draft pick. Because he's definitely not a starting center. Not long enough or athletic enough. It's exactly why Indiana can't get away with trading Myles Turner, even though it would obviously make sense if Domantas was good enough to be a full time center.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#440 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:15 pm

EMG518 wrote:Anyone whom thinks this kid is playing the 4 has lost it. Have you watched the kids feet move for a second.

I mean it's going to be more of a liability at center than at 4. At least, if he's a 4 you can put a rim protector behind him. If he's playing the 5, he's going to get hunted on every PNR and just get torched at the rim. Again, this is why Indiana still has Myles Turner.

Return to NBA Draft