Alperen Şengün

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Re: Alperen Şengün 

Post#481 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Does anyone have a link to confirm he's 6'10 barefoot??

That changes a lot for me and my opinion of him as a prospect if he is a legit size for a C and won't need to be on the perimeter as much.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Clawed
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#482 » by Clawed » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Does anyone have a link to confirm he's 6'10 barefoot??

That changes a lot for me and my opinion of him as a prospect if he is a legit size for a C and won't need to be on the perimeter as much.

He also isn't on the list prospects that will go to the combine it seems. Looks like Alperen's height and wingspan will always be a guessing game.
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#483 » by Charm » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Clawed wrote:

He also isn't on the list prospects that will go to the combine it seems. Looks like Alperen's height and wingspan will always be a guessing game.

There's a good chance we'll see him play against Greece and/or Canada in the Olympic qualifiers, so he'll be on the court against NBA bigs. That'll give a better picture of whether or not he's undersized at C.
Clawed
Ballboy

Post#484 » by Clawed » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:41 am

Charm wrote:
Clawed wrote:

There's a good chance we'll see him play against Greece and/or Canada in the Olympic qualifiers, so he'll be on the court against NBA bigs. That'll give a better picture of whether or not he's undersized at C.

It just would have been nice to have raw numbers so we don't have to do hyperanalyze all these pictures and argue back and forth 1 inch one way or another.

BTW on another note. I think an OG player that Alperen Sengun reminds me of is Alvan Adams (just by reading about him and watching highlights, he is before my time).

Interesting article on him. https://www.thespax.com/nba/alvan-adams-the-original-modern-big-man/ passing bigmen who led the Phoenix Suns in all team defensive win shares.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,439

Post#485 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:05 am

I find it stupid how every year measurements are always in the grey area. You would think the NBA would demand every prospect to measure out.
Charm
Junior

Post#486 » by Charm » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:59 am

Clawed wrote:
Charm wrote:
Clawed wrote:

It just would have been nice to have raw numbers so we don't have to do hyperanalyze all these pictures and argue back and forth 1 inch one way or another.

BTW on another note. I think an OG player that Alperen Sengun reminds me of is Alvan Adams (just by reading about him and watching highlights, he is before my time).

Interesting article on him. https://www.thespax.com/nba/alvan-adams-the-original-modern-big-man/ passing bigmen who led the Phoenix Suns in all team defensive win shares.

Oh, not saying it's be useful to squint at photos of him next to other players. Just saying, e.g. if he's outmuscling Dwight Powell, then he's probably a center. If he's not, then he's probably not a center.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,244

Post#487 » by SNPA » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:55 am

I could see a team Tim Duncan’ing it and starting him at PF but really he plays Center. That is very feasible IMO and depending on roster construction could be smart.
Clawed
Ballboy

Post#488 » by Clawed » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:03 am

SNPA wrote:I could see a team Tim Duncan’ing it and starting him at PF but really he plays Center. That is very feasible IMO and depending on roster construction could be smart.

He had some really nice big to big passing in his highlight reels. I'm sure he can make it work offensively especially if he develops 3 point range but don't know how it will work defensively. Sometimes he lunges at defenders in the 3 point range and gets cooked.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#489 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:44 am

WuTang_OG wrote:I find it stupid how every year measurements are always in the grey area. You would think the NBA would demand every prospect to measure out.

As I already mentioned in this thread, the NBA has been measuring players in Europe every year since 2003. They only didn't have it last year, due to the pandemic. Every summer they have people going to Europe and doing official measurements.

If the pandemic situation allows it, there is absolutely zero chance that he won't be measured. Lots of times the US sports media just never reports on it, but you always see mentions in European media about the players being measured by NBA personnel.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#490 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:34 pm

This whole argument about Segun being undersized is an out of date argument from years past. Anyone can watch the current NBA playoffs and see that he's not undersized.

The Nets are playing with a 6-9 center, the Clippers are playing with a 6-8 center, the Hawks are playing with a 6-10 center, etc. And we have seen more traditional big men like Nikola Jokic, and even DPOY Rudy Gobert struggle a lot to play defense against small lineups.

Gobert practically looked like a dinosaur in that game six against the Clippers and their small lineup.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#491 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:00 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:This whole argument about Segun being undersized is an out of date argument from years past. Anyone can watch the current NBA playoffs and see that he's not undersized.

The Nets are playing with a 6-9 center, the Clippers are playing with a 6-8 center, the Hawks are playing with a 6-10 center, etc. And we have seen more traditional big men like Nikola Jokic, and even DPOY Rudy Gobert struggle a lot to play defense against small lineups.

Gobert practically looked like a dinosaur in that game six against the Clippers and their small lineup.

Small is one thing. Slow is another. Very hard to be small and slow. He’s clearly undersized and not clearly an above average NBA athlete. That puts him behind the eight ball at center regardless of what people here want to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Charm
Junior

Post#492 » by Charm » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:22 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:This whole argument about Segun being undersized is an out of date argument from years past. Anyone can watch the current NBA playoffs and see that he's not undersized.

Small is one thing. Slow is another. Very hard to be small and slow. He’s clearly undersized and not clearly an above average NBA athlete. That puts him behind the eight ball at center regardless of what people here want to believe.

Ah yes, Sengun could never hope to match the breathtaking physical and athletic gifts of...*checks notes*...Marcus Morris :lol:
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#493 » by DevinVassell » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:03 am

EvanZ wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong (don't have time to read this thread properly) but I thought you argued earlier that Sengun was a pf because he was to small to play center. Now your argument is he is to slow to play center but that's ok for a pf?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#494 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:40 am

DevinVassell wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong (don't have time to read this thread properly) but I thought you argued earlier that Sengun was a pf because he was to small to play center. Now your argument is he is to slow to play center but that's ok for a pf?

He’s big enough to be a 4 and he can be hidden better with a legit center behind him. It is what it is. I mean people here are talking about Blake Griffin and Marcus Morris as if they’ve been fives their entire careers. If that’s what people think of Sengun he’s kind of doomed.

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#495 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:46 am

Would have been nice to see Sengun get measured at the Combine.

Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#496 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:08 am

Love this guy on the Pels
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#497 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:Love this guy on the Pels

Him and Zion next to each could be really fun to watch as they both grow, develop together.

3 years from now that could be scary duo with Zion at the 4 and Sengun at the 5...plus Ingram at the 3..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#498 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:20 am

Hal14 wrote:

Him and Zion next to each could be really fun to watch as they both grow, develop together.

3 years from now that could be scary duo with Zion at the 4 and Sengun at the 5...plus Ingram at the 3..

We'll be trading the pick anyway unless we hella move up
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#499 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:34 am

Alonzo_Morning wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

We'll be trading the pick anyway unless we hella move up

No way you guys should trade the pick. Are you kidding me? You're slated to pick around no. 10. That could be. serious stud, who could be 3rd piece you build around along Zion and Ingram (and possibly Ball if you resign him)

I like Sengun in that spot, or if you don't think you'll resign Ball, go for Giddey. Giddey is a really good passer could really make life easier for Zion and Ingram..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#500 » by EvanZ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:36 am

Seems just about the worst pairing I can imagine. The spacing would be atrocious as would the defense.

Return to NBA Draft