Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski's NBA Draft Measurements 

Post#21 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Foreign players always seem to measurw way higher than expected, in some dark place with no scouts and no film.

Color me skeptical, we’ll see if he’s almost an inch taller than Embiid, who measured 6’11.5 without shoes this summer.

Hope he drops to 24 though

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#22 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 pm

Toni Kukoc and Kevin Durant were very similar in size to Poku at his age. They were probably a couple inches shorter, but the wingspan and weight was very similar. Actually, I think Durant weighed even less than 211 at that age. Wasn't he like 195 in high school?

They both held up pretty well physically. I don't remember Kukoc having much problems with injuries. And Durant held up pretty well physically, until he blew out his achilles.

Rashard Lewis and Kevin Garnett were also similar in height, length and weight at that age. They held up very well physically over their careers. I am sure there are plenty of other examples.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#23 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:44 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Foreign players always seem to measurw way higher than expected, in some dark place with no scouts and no film.

Color me skeptical, we’ll see if he’s almost an inch taller than Embiid, who measured 6’11.5 without shoes this summer.

This has been discussed in these forums over and over and over. Because in Europe, virtually all players from Europe are listed in barefoot height, and almost always listed from when they first joined a men's league. So many players are listed at their barefoot height from age 15 to 17. Sometimes their heights eventually get updated years later, but many times they don't. They rarely have been updated by the time they get drafted.

The heights for European prospects are almost always 2 inches shorter than they would be listed in the NCAA.

And Poku was measured in the USA. He has been in the USA working out for several months now. I think he left Greece to go the US, around August.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:01 pm

I hope so, just skeptical until I see him by people Im comfortable with their listed height. He’s enticing at 6’11 or 7’1 though.

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#25 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:36 pm

shotsquatch wrote::o

Why aren't people talking about this kid more? The way he moves reminds me of KD. I don't think I've ever seen a legit seven-footer run and handle so smooth. Great passer too. Goddam!

he has been lotto to top5 for me for months

intel isn't great, only reason why I don't have him 2
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,189

Post#26 » by Mickey8 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Foreign players always seem to measurw way higher than expected, in some dark place with no scouts and no film.

Well even NBA teams are doing the same, Ill take Jokic as an example, Denver have Jokic as 7 foot tall ,when in reality he's 6"11 in shoes. I think Pokusevski is legit 7 footer but I doubt he's 7"2 , I dont think his wingspan is 7"5 like David Blatt claims, he's exaggerating a bit .
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Mickey8 wrote:

Well even NBA teams are doing the same, Ill take Jokic as an example, Denver have Jokic as 7 foot tall ,when in reality he's 6"11 in shoes. I think Pokusevski is legit 7 footer but I doubt he's 7"2 , I dont think his wingspan is 7"5 like David Blatt claims, he's exaggerating a bit .

Yea, it's honestly more bizarre for the NBA/american players, because they legit measure them and print out the measurements, and then they add 2 inches :lol: . At least private camps for star players, and private camps for foreign guys print the inflated number out without letting anyone verify it and prove it wrong like the combine does.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,189

Post#28 » by Mickey8 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:24 pm

But its funny and dubious at the same time that Miles Turner thinks that Jokic has inch or two on him :lol: Whenever I watch them two battle it out, Turner looks to me taller than Jokic :)
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#29 » by mr570 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 am

PhilLeotardo wrote:Old news. We’ve known this for a few months now. He was all over his YouTube account bragging about it

He’s pretty arrogant/confident too, wants to be a major force in the NBA & is confident in his ability. Folks were implying that he might get stashed in Europe, and he essentially stated that his family wouldn’t accept that, and he wants to contribute immediately on whatever team he winds up on

LOL this is pretty funny. Poku was on YouTube bragging about his skills? Better start smashing some Sonic, Poku...
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:04 pm

mr570 wrote:
PhilLeotardo wrote:Old news. We’ve known this for a few months now. He was all over his YouTube account bragging about it

He’s pretty arrogant/confident too, wants to be a major force in the NBA & is confident in his ability. Folks were implying that he might get stashed in Europe, and he essentially stated that his family wouldn’t accept that, and he wants to contribute immediately on whatever team he winds up on

LOL this is pretty funny. Poku was on YouTube bragging about his skills? Better start smashing some Sonic, Poku...

His measurements not his skill.

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,530

Post#31 » by shotsquatch » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 pm

EvanZ wrote:
mr570 wrote:

His measurements not his skill.

Read on Twitter

Lol I love this. I'm rooting for this kid.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 am

How long until the “grew 2 inches and gained 30 pounds of muscle since getting drafted” article comes out?

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:41 am

At the 1:53 mark of the video, Poku standing very close to Vassilis Christidis, that the Greek national federation listed at 6-10 barefoot.

Roster Greece

14 Christidis, Vasilis F 2.08 1998-07-10

https://www.basketball-bund.de/wp-content/uploads/AST-2016-Rosters.pdf

Hopefully this ends all the "Poku is really only 6-9 or 6-10" talk.

Return to NBA Draft