2020 Draft winners / losers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: 2020 Draft winners / losers 

Post#61 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:20 am

doordoor123 wrote:Poku should have been a top pick. The Thunder got two steals.

Yep.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#62 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:14 am

Whoever Presti drafts
Azubuike is interesting
Toppin was my #1 overall prospect so his success is not a steal but for where he was drafted.

I haven't been too impressed yet but we have 3 more preseason games to go
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#63 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:39 am

King Ken wrote:Whoever Presti drafts
Azubuike is interesting
Toppin was my #1 overall prospect so his success is not a steal but for where he was drafted.

I haven't been too impressed yet but we have 3 more preseason games to go

Ive actually been pretty impressed. Okoro looked great today. Flashed huge potential. Devin Vassell also had a good game. Its also only their first game after not playing in a long time. LaMelo and Anthony Edwards played like trash. LaMelo at least flashed upside with his elite passing, but Edwards literally looked like ****. No effort at all from him and no flashes.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:40 am

LaMelo still taking terrible shots and doesnt play defense. Hopefully it gets hammered out of him. Kind of wish he went to place where there was more pressure for him to play better. Like somewhere with a large media presence.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#65 » by retrobro90 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:47 am

I was elated with Maledon tonight. It looks like he's improved as a live dribble passer. Watched that film breakdown Mike Schmitz vid w/ Theo a while back and it seemed like dude killed his dribble a lot but he was effortless penetrating and getting it out to shooters tonight. His J is wet too. Can't believe he was just sitting there at 34.

Poku is league pass material if he actually plays this year. He tries some wild passes and shoots coming off screens and it's coin flip on whether they're gonna be highlights/lowlights. Keita Bates Diop drove into him tonight and it looked like a defensive end tackled a pool noodle. He's definitely got a crazy amount of skill if his body ever catches up.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by doordoor123 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:11 pm

retrobro90 wrote:

I was elated with Maledon tonight. It looks like he's improved as a live dribble passer. Watched that film breakdown Mike Schmitz vid w/ Theo a while back and it seemed like dude killed his dribble a lot but he was effortless penetrating and getting it out to shooters tonight. His J is wet too. Can't believe he was just sitting there at 34.

Poku is league pass material if he actually plays this year. He tries some wild passes and shoots coming off screens and it's coin flip on whether they're gonna be highlights/lowlights. Keita Bates Diop drove into him tonight and it looked like a defensive end tackled a pool noodle. He's definitely got a crazy amount of skill if his body ever catches up.

I was really impressed by his ability to handle the ball. And I actually don’t think he’s as skinny as I thought he would be, he must have gained weight during the break. He just needs to gain strength.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#67 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:38 pm

not that I had Theo that high and I said this multiple teams before the draft, but it didn't make any sense to me why Hayes was a top10 guy and Theo was a late pick...well see the how they turn out but just the contrast of how these guys were looked as prospects was always weird to me
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#68 » by SNPA » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:39 am

EvanZ wrote:

Yep.

Why do GM’s miss obvious ones so often? Poku was clearly one of, if not the singular highest upside guy in the draft, and he goes 17. WTF.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by doordoor123 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:29 am

SNPA wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Yep.

Why do GM’s miss obvious ones so often? Poku was clearly one of, if not the singular highest upside guy in the draft, and he goes 17. WTF.

Talen Horton-Tucker was projected by a lot of us here to be a sure-fire lottery pick. He slid and is now having a coming out party. It was pretty obvious to most of us how good he is. It was the same thing when OG Anunoby fell. I don't understand.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#70 » by Revenged25 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:00 pm

I think so far we can firmly put the Cavs and Wizards into the winner categories with their rookies looking pretty good in their first pre-season games.
Shy Gorgeous-Al
Junior
And1: 299

Post#71 » by Shy Gorgeous-Al » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Wizards..

Avdija has the whole package. He can realistically play 1-4. Could be a real matchup nightmare if developed correctly.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#72 » by Frichuela » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Shy Gorgeous-Al wrote:Wizards..

Avdija has the whole package. He can realistically play 1-4. Could be a real matchup nightmare if developed correctly.

This! 100% agree. Basketball IQ and fundamentals off the charts
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#73 » by a-French-Fan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:43 pm

retrobro90 wrote:I was elated with Maledon tonight. It looks like he's improved as a live dribble passer. Watched that film breakdown Mike Schmitz vid w/ Theo a while back and it seemed like dude killed his dribble a lot but he was effortless penetrating and getting it out to shooters tonight. His J is wet too. Can't believe he was just sitting there at 34.

A very important point is court size in NBA. Things get easier when there is more space. Almost every euroleague game is a play-off game too.
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#74 » by juanc » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Nate Hinton aka Mr Hustle was looking great the first game vs the Bucks(8pts, 8reb, 4 ast) and he went undrafted. Josh Green also played good/great defense(he was good against Middleton). Excited to se what they show us today.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#75 » by MotownMadness » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:46 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:I was elated with Maledon tonight. It looks like he's improved as a live dribble passer. Watched that film breakdown Mike Schmitz vid w/ Theo a while back and it seemed like dude killed his dribble a lot but he was effortless penetrating and getting it out to shooters tonight. His J is wet too. Can't believe he was just sitting there at 34.

A very important point is court size in NBA. Things get easier when there is more space. Almost every euroleague game is a play-off game too.

Is he more combo guardish or is he someone who's gonna be running a offense?
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#76 » by a-French-Fan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:05 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:

He'll be what his coach needs ;)
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#77 » by retrobro90 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:39 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:

I think he's said as much when it comes to his preference playing the 1 but he definitely has the off ball skills as a shooter. I like him operating out of ball screens more than being the secondary guy who has to attack closeouts given his smarts as a PnR ball handler/passer/scorer and the fact that he isn't the burstiest dude to slash around those closeout situations.

Should also be noted although it probably goes without saying that this is one preseason game and his primary defender was Demar Derozen. However, he had DDR attached to his hip every single time he got a ball screen. I think he's just too good at shifting his speed and using angles to not put him in those type of situations where he's broadening the pocket to create space so he can pass or score.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#78 » by amcoolio » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:59 am

doordoor123 wrote:LaMelo still taking terrible shots and doesnt play defense. Hopefully it gets hammered out of him. Kind of wish he went to place where there was more pressure for him to play better. Like somewhere with a large media presence.

LaMelo will be fine. 18/5 today and a lot of his bad shots came near the end of the game. His 3 stroke is actually really good he just needs to pick which ones and not take pullups. And his defense has been average, which is great for an NBA rookie...I don't get why the box score watchers are saying he is terrible defensively. His length and communication are good and he's trying. He's already way better than someone like Trae Young.

With 2-3 years of NBA strength training he will be average to above average on D, which is all you need from him
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
clyde21
RealGM

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:35 am

Vassell is good, Spurs got lucky most NBA GMs are idiots and let him drop to 11...still laughing at Jalen Smith going before Vassell
clyde21
RealGM

Post#80 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:37 am

Melo will never be average on D, he's terrible on that end, never had it in him

Return to NBA Draft