Who will be the steal of the 2020 draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: Who will be the steal of the 2020 draft? 

Post#81 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:48 am

sonictecture wrote:I was interested in Reed leading up to the draft and was surprised he fell to the end of the second. What I read after the draft is Teed got flagged in the interview process. No specifics, just his answers to questions gave us pause.

That kind of goes to show how silly putting a lot of stock into the interviews can go. If you look at some of Paul Reed's quotes, it's definitely easy to see how some middle-aged white guy might find him incomprehensible or offputting. An uncle of mine who works in the NBA has talked about how Jonny Flynn was someone who completely hit it out of the park with his interviews.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#82 » by clyde21 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:10 am

Read on Twitter
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#83 » by remi_222 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:49 am

Theo Maledon !!!!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#84 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 6, 2021 8:05 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I also like Payton Pritchard. The guy has alot of dog in him and I see some Herro in him as well.

You were prescient, in this post and the previous one too.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#85 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 6, 2021 8:09 am

Stillwater wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Its going to be Aaron Nesmith. He's going to be so good IMO. I think he's going to be a perennial all-star. The Celtics ran away with another steal of the draft.

He kind of stayed hidden in this draft, kind of like Donovan Mitchell when he was drafted. I really think he's going to be amazing. No one at his age has ever had the kind of skilled shooting as him. He also has great size, the potential on defense, and he wants to be great. I have so much confidence in this guy and the fact the Celtics took him made me believe in him more.

Care to change your opinion yet because he has been awful trying to fill smarts shoes defensively.
And his shooting as expected has not transferred not even a little bit. Hes just looks like a shooter who struggles to be shot maker against length.
I like his potential but he was never klay 2.0

This post didn't age well.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#86 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 6, 2021 8:10 am

Ruzious wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Its going to be Aaron Nesmith. He's going to be so good IMO. I think he's going to be a perennial all-star. The Celtics ran away with another steal of the draft.

He kind of stayed hidden in this draft, kind of like Donovan Mitchell when he was drafted. I really think he's going to be amazing. No one at his age has ever had the kind of skilled shooting as him. He also has great size, the potential on defense, and he wants to be great. I have so much confidence in this guy and the fact the Celtics took him made me believe in him more.

Care to change your opinion yet because he has been awful trying to fill smarts shoes defensively.
And his shooting as expected has not transferred not even a little bit. Hes just looks like a shooter who struggles to be shot maker against length.

I think it's part rust and part rookie. He wasn't a steal, but he'll still improve a lot and become a good player. Boston being a mess has probably made things harder for him.

You conceded too much. He's on track to be a steal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#87 » by Ruzious » Thu May 6, 2021 11:38 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Care to change your opinion yet because he has been awful trying to fill smarts shoes defensively.

I think it's part rust and part rookie. He wasn't a steal, but he'll still improve a lot and become a good player. Boston being a mess has probably made things harder for him.

You conceded too much. He's on track to be a steal.

He's showing nice progress the last several games - though he's getting in foul trouble an awful lot - common for a rookie who actually tries to play D.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#88 » by shakes0 » Thu May 6, 2021 7:51 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I also like Payton Pritchard. The guy has alot of dog in him and I see some Herro in him as well.

You were prescient, in this post and the previous one too.

yea but he's also the same guy who said Lamelo would be the biggest bust in the entire draft. I think that trumps anything he has to say about Payton Pritchard :lol:
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#89 » by Neeva » Thu May 6, 2021 8:07 pm

Jaden McDaniels.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#90 » by whitehops » Fri May 7, 2021 2:50 pm

for the pistons, isaiah stewart has played well and looks like he was well worth the 16th pick. it'll depend how he develops if he's going to be considered a steal.

but getting saddiq bey at 19 looks really good now. he played two years in college so he has an advantage transitioning to the league but he already looks like a vet out there. in the last month he's averaging 15 PPG and shooting 40% from 3 on 8 attempts a game. he likely won't ever be an all star or anything like that, but being an elite shooter and a solid defender is a pretty good get when you're picking 19th. he likely won't ever have a dribble-drive game but he does have room to grow putting the ball on the floor and creating in the mid range.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#91 » by Stillwater » Fri May 7, 2021 6:05 pm

Stillwater wrote:

how is he doing ? I dont watch Boston games anymore
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#92 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 7, 2021 11:06 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Care to change your opinion yet because he has been awful trying to fill smarts shoes defensively.

It suddenly became normal for him to score 15 points, grab a bunch of rebounds, make a bunch of hustle plays, etc., etc., and he seems to have joined Pritchard as a rookie in the regular/playoff rotation. He's become a media and fan darling accordingly. The last four game of stats in https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nesmiaa01/gamelog/2021 do not overstate the matter.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#93 » by Stillwater » Fri May 7, 2021 11:17 pm

Stillwater wrote:

It suddenly became normal for him to score 15 points, grab a bunch of rebounds, make a bunch of hustle plays, etc., etc., and he seems to have joined Pritchard as a rookie in the regular/playoff rotation. He's become a media and fan darling accordingly. The last four game of stats in https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nesmiaa01/gamelog/2021 do not overstate the matter.

so in a very small sample size my take did not age well...got it
I wish him luck he has a nice shooting form
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#94 » by K_chile22 » Sat May 8, 2021 5:54 am

KJ Martin has been looking great lately and has just been getting better and better. Was one of the youngest guys in the draft. Think he'd absolutely jump into the first round after being picked 52
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#95 » by Ruzious » Sat May 8, 2021 4:38 pm

K_chile22 wrote:KJ Martin has been looking great lately and has just been getting better and better. Was one of the youngest guys in the draft. Think he'd absolutely jump into the first round after being picked 52

Houston targeted him - trading a future 2nd to get him. That's looking like a great move.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#96 » by clyde21 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 am

RJ last 5 games

19/5/3
16/5/3
18/10/5
16/7/10
18/7/5

Read on Twitter
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#97 » by DCasey91 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:04 am

clyde21 wrote:RJ last 5 games

19/5/3
16/5/3
18/10/5
16/7/10
18/7/5

Read on Twitter

I think the main reason he dropped was in the local league for me. He didn’t get as much time to shine like Ball did. Should have been a top ten pick. He’s going to be very good imo

Nuggets, OKC, Rockets, Raptors, Lakers all must have NBA RealGM scouts on the payroll lol. They make the obvious value picks later on in the draft
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#98 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Stillwater wrote:how is he doing ? I dont watch Boston games anymore

so in a very small sample size my take did not age well...got it
I wish him luck he has a nice shooting form

.....I think it’s silly to overreact either way, he played poorly in a small sample size also. Rookies are inconsistent, we won’t know with most of these kids until a few years down the road. Pritchard was also a four year player, he should be more comfortable as a rookie. I really can’t put him as a “steal” as he prob won’t be more than a solid backup.

Return to NBA Draft