Gonzaga prospects thread 2021

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 47,677
And1: 54,018
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#41 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:03 pm

this Gonzaga team might be the best collegiate team I've seen since I been watching the NCAA, can't remember a more dominant one, maybe the Anthony Davis UK team that's about it?
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,662
And1: 4,516
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#42 » by Marcus » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 16,302
And1: 3,682
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#43 » by cgf » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:55 pm

Where usually with college kids we have to keep in mind that they will get better spacing with their NBA teams & look better at the next level, with this Gonzaga team do we worry at all that Suggs/Kispert (in particular) are looking better than they will on a low lottery team?
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
crows2
Junior
Posts: 338
And1: 254
Joined: Apr 01, 2015

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#44 » by crows2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:37 am

cgf wrote:Where usually with college kids we have to keep in mind that they will get better spacing with their NBA teams & look better at the next level, with this Gonzaga team do we worry at all that Suggs/Kispert (in particular) are looking better than they will on a low lottery team?


Not to criticise Suggs too much (he’s a stud), but put him on OK State and Cade on this Gonzaga team and there’d be none of this Suggs at number 1 nonsense. Cade would be the unanimous number 1 if he was on this team.
MemphisX
Starter
Posts: 2,294
And1: 2,205
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#45 » by MemphisX » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:38 am

crows2 wrote:
cgf wrote:Where usually with college kids we have to keep in mind that they will get better spacing with their NBA teams & look better at the next level, with this Gonzaga team do we worry at all that Suggs/Kispert (in particular) are looking better than they will on a low lottery team?


Not to criticise Suggs too much (he’s a stud), but put him on OK State and Cade on this Gonzaga team and there’d be none of this Suggs at number 1 nonsense. Cade would be the unanimous number 1 if he was on this team.


Not sure Suggs will end up in my top 5.
peZt
Rookie
Posts: 1,141
And1: 949
Joined: Aug 15, 2010
Location: Braunschweig
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#46 » by peZt » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:50 am

Man I really feel bad for the bench players at Gonzaga. If you're not a starting 5 caliber player, don't go there. Even in a 30 point blowout Mark Few is only playing a 8 man rotation. Don't understand why Zakharov and Arlauskas didn't transfer. They're not gonna see playing time next year either
User avatar
retrobro90
Pro Prospect
Posts: 848
And1: 460
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#47 » by retrobro90 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:45 pm

So for Suggs it seems clear to me his vision and athleticism are going to translate. I think there's still at least some questions when it comes to his ability as a finisher (and as a shooter but I'm more optimistic there). I kinda worry about his craft around the rim and his habit of being a two foot leaper in times where one foot would help him considerably when it comes to angles and exploding through contact. He's definitely shown that ability as well but it's just weird when he kills his dribble underneath the rim to allow the defense to load up around him. I've heard he was something like a 28% 3pt shooter at Minnehaha but just eye test on his college 3pt attempts relieve a lot of concern about him as a shooter. It's very quick and compact now. That corner step back against Iowa (and basically that whole game) showed what he's actually capable of when he's feeling himself.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,863
And1: 3,461
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#48 » by Fischella » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:46 pm

I think Billups is the closest comp, they are different physically and I think Suggs' ceiling is higher, but Billups with some Roy in there would be my comp
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 47,677
And1: 54,018
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#49 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:30 pm

Suggs is Brogdon with a better athletic profile
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,892
And1: 12,690
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#50 » by Klomp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:19 pm

There's just something about Jalen Suggs that I'm drawn to. There's a smoothness to his game that not many college prospects have.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
916fan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 760
And1: 325
Joined: Dec 03, 2016
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#51 » by 916fan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Klomp wrote:There's just something about Jalen Suggs that I'm drawn to. There's a smoothness to his game that not many college prospects have.

I agree and feel the same way. I think it's because of his feel for the game and the advanced footwork that we normally don't see(even from some NBA guards).
namlede
Freshman
Posts: 75
And1: 37
Joined: Nov 08, 2020

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#52 » by namlede » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:35 pm

Elite competitiveness, reaction speed and bball iq to go along with good vision. I have questions on his scoring upside but other than that he is can't miss. Super glue guy/leader with potential to possibly improve his scoring to be a #2 option.
Klomp wrote:There's just something about Jalen Suggs that I'm drawn to. There's a smoothness to his game that not many college prospects have.


Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
Posts: 3,240
And1: 898
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
       

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#53 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:32 am

Am I crazy to think he rushes things relying on his athletisisim? He remunds me of Westbrook.

Am I way off? Ive only ween the game agsinst Auburn.

Do people think he'll be a championship caliber PG? (As far as IQ for the game)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,641
And1: 557
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#54 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:06 pm

I have not yet seen Green or Kuminga. At the college level, I think Suggs is the best NBA prospect, including Mobley and Cunningham. The aggressiveness attacking and under control play at his age, coupled with his elite athleticism make a cut above the others imo. He finds open teammates and sports a remarkably quick first step. You also can't argue with the results - Gonzaga is the best NCAA team in maybe a decade or two. 90+ ppg is absurd.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
Posts: 15,927
And1: 5,448
Joined: Jun 25, 2009
Location: the Arizona desert

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#55 » by DirtyDez » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 pm

clyde21 wrote:this Gonzaga team might be the best collegiate team I've seen since I been watching the NCAA, can't remember a more dominant one, maybe the Anthony Davis UK team that's about it?


I’d take 18’ Nova over both those teams.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,641
And1: 557
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#56 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:16 pm

This year's Nova has a shot to knock them off. They will have to shoot lights out though. So far, this year's team is not shooting at the same level as they were in 2018.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 19,916
And1: 4,727
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#57 » by Chi town » Mon Feb 1, 2021 5:05 am

How good is Kispert? More than just a Korver shooter? Jazz Bogdanovic? Will he be destroyed on D?
User avatar
retrobro90
Pro Prospect
Posts: 848
And1: 460
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#58 » by retrobro90 » Mon Feb 1, 2021 5:45 am

Chi town wrote:How good is Kispert? More than just a Korver shooter? Jazz Bogdanovic? Will he be destroyed on D?


Bojan seems like a decent comp. 6'7" movement shooter and can play a little out of pnr whether it's getting to his shot when guys go under or passing out of it. Not the type of NBA explosion where he's gonna create passing angles by beating guys off the dribble but is effective given his size to see over the top and his shooting ability. When it comes to his defense I think he's a little leaner/nimbler than someone like McDermott was at Creighton so I trust his ability to move laterally and defend on the perimeter enough that I don't think he's someone who's gonna get exploited when he's inevitably head hunted by opposing star players. He's someone I could see getting exchanged late in games for offense/defense but I think he'd see the floor in crunch time scenarios and in the playoffs without any real problem.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,892
And1: 12,690
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#59 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 1, 2021 7:52 am

jman3134 wrote:I have not yet seen Green or Kuminga. At the college level, I think Suggs is the best NBA prospect, including Mobley and Cunningham. The aggressiveness attacking and under control play at his age, coupled with his elite athleticism make a cut above the others imo. He finds open teammates and sports a remarkably quick first step. You also can't argue with the results - Gonzaga is the best NCAA team in maybe a decade or two. 90+ ppg is absurd.

He just seems so well-rounded and positionally should be a fairly smooth transition to the next level because it's a guard's league now.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,892
And1: 12,690
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#60 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 1, 2021 8:01 am

Heard Mike Schmitz bring up Jrue Holiday's name, I think that's a pretty good mold for Suggs.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Return to NBA Draft