Gonzaga prospects thread 2021

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
retrobro90
Pro Prospect
Posts: 848
And1: 460
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#81 » by retrobro90 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:15 am

I think the most reassuring thing about Suggs to me is his mentality/approach. Always has a short term memory when it comes to the moments where he flounders. Stays engaged/aggressive on both ends. Good sense of when to attack/facilitate. Intangibles seem there whether its the effort or the body language etc.

There's some concerns for me when it comes to his overall scoring ability. He's often well short on his 3. He's not someone with a widely diverse layup package either and even though he can finish above the rim he's not in that upper echelon of Morant/Russ types who get there effortlessly off one leg. Think it's gonna come down to his shooting and just how dangerous he can get when defenders go under the screen when we talk about his ceiling on offense. If it never really comes around I think he's more like a good starter than a multi-time All Star but like I said I trust him as someone who's gonna do the work that it takes to get better.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,641
And1: 557
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#82 » by jman3134 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:23 am

Stillwater wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah he probably is a top 10 player imo not top 4 He might prove to be a higher value prospect long term would not surprise me, but his life has been fairly easy compared to some others on lesser rosters and I think he is slightly overvalued as a result and will probably continue to be right on through the process. I actually like Kispert better as a pro


:banghead: Bro, come on. If you like Kispert more than Suggs, you should just take up another hobby.

Suggs is more explosive thats about it so it might make the difference in who has the batter career I guess given the struggles of non athletic types but Kispert isnt that bad athletically at all either.But he is older so I guess you can argue that as far as upside not being as good etc. I have plenty of hobbies this is just one of them... but I would not put it past Kispert to have the better career even if he goes 25th and Suggs goes 4th just based on what I have seen so far


Pay more attention to Suggs' vision. Some of the passes he made vs. BYU were special. And he took the game over scoring as well. He is just so versatile and the age gap is substantial comparing them as prospects.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 14,584
And1: 3,526
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#83 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:09 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
:banghead: Bro, come on. If you like Kispert more than Suggs, you should just take up another hobby.

Suggs is more explosive thats about it so it might make the difference in who has the batter career I guess given the struggles of non athletic types but Kispert isnt that bad athletically at all either.But he is older so I guess you can argue that as far as upside not being as good etc. I have plenty of hobbies this is just one of them... but I would not put it past Kispert to have the better career even if he goes 25th and Suggs goes 4th just based on what I have seen so far


Pay more attention to Suggs' vision. Some of the passes he made vs. BYU were special. And he took the game over scoring as well. He is just so versatile and the age gap is substantial comparing them as prospects.

Its easy to create on a good team with shooters like ck out there but yeah im thinking like my org comment that they're all a bit overrated right now luckily the season looks promising to go the full tournament so they can drop some. Nothing worse than over picks
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Fischella wrote "There are easily 40-50 dudes with higher ceilings than Juzang in this class"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,892
And1: 12,690
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#84 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:05 pm

The thing I love about Suggs is how so far he seems to play his best when the lights shine the brightest.

24 points, 8 assists vs. Kansas
27 points, 7 assists vs. Iowa
23 points, 5 assists vs. BYU (WCC Championship)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
kobyz
Pro Prospect
Posts: 786
And1: 178
Joined: Oct 31, 2006

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#85 » by kobyz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Jrue Holiday clone!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,892
And1: 12,690
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#86 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:06 am

kobyz wrote:Jrue Holiday clone!

Mike Schmitz threw that comp out there in the past, but after the WCC Tournament said that it may be selling Suggs short
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,641
And1: 557
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#87 » by jman3134 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:12 am

It is a really bad comp and doesn't make much sense stylistically besides underscoring that Suggs plays D.
God Squad
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,060
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#88 » by God Squad » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:11 am

I don't know a good comp for Suggs at all. Initially I thought a less athletic Derrick Rose with better play-making chops. I'm just not sure who he reminds me of, But I feel like I've seen it before.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,723
And1: 8,592
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#89 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:31 pm

Klomp wrote:
kobyz wrote:Jrue Holiday clone!

Mike Schmitz threw that comp out there in the past, but after the WCC Tournament said that it may be selling Suggs short

Jrue is a much more deliberate/smooth player with much longer arms than Suggs. Suggs is more explosive and aggressive and better able to take over a game. It's like cool jazz vs rock n roll <waits for oncoming flying objects>.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
Posts: 3,240
And1: 898
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
       

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#90 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:09 am

I worry Suggs will play outside himself in the NBA (alá Westbrick). If he molds his game to be a Kyle Lowry 2.0 instead of a high usage #1 score first guard I think he can be an incredibley valuable player.

If his aim is to be the high usage score first guard he sometimes shows flashes of being I think his overall impact on the NBA will be less and more replaceable.

If he can develop a Dame like pull up 3 he can be a #1 option on a contender, but without that gool I think he would ultimatley be ineffiecnt in that role at the highest levels.

If he models his game off Lowry, Jrue, Conley, etc. I think he has all the makings of an incredible PG.

I think he's going to end up top 3 on my board either way.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
peZt
Rookie
Posts: 1,141
And1: 949
Joined: Aug 15, 2010
Location: Braunschweig
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#91 » by peZt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am

He doesn't even play outside of himself at Gonzaga, why would he do it in the NBA? If there is one prospect in the draft who I am comfortable to say that he will be an incredibly useful player no matter what team he lands on it's Jalen Suggs. If anything I thought he didn't assert himself even enough at Gonzaga and always tried to get his teammates involved.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
Posts: 3,240
And1: 898
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
       

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#92 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:06 pm

peZt wrote:He doesn't even play outside of himself at Gonzaga, why would he do it in the NBA? If there is one prospect in the draft who I am comfortable to say that he will be an incredibly useful player no matter what team he lands on it's Jalen Suggs. If anything I thought he didn't assert himself even enough at Gonzaga and always tried to get his teammates involved.


If a PG dosent have Dame/Harden/Steph pull up threes or Magic Johnson type size I cant see them being the best player in a title team without the game managment skills of a Zeke/Billups/Lowry.

Thats the antithisis of Westbrook/Steph Marubary/Steve Franchise.

If Suggs wants to be THE guy then I don't think he has the DROSE like talent to pull it off for a contender.

If he is ok taking a back seat to a guy like Kwahi, KG or KD I can see him being a championship starting PG.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
shakes0
Veteran
Posts: 2,745
And1: 3,141
Joined: Jul 14, 2017
Location: Chicago
       

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#93 » by shakes0 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:57 pm

Kispert had to have played his way out of the lottery by now, right? He's been awful pretty much the entire tournament and was especially terrible last night in the national semifinal.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,641
And1: 557
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#94 » by jman3134 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:59 pm

shakes0 wrote:Kispert had to have played his way out of the lottery by now, right? He's been awful pretty much the entire tournament and was especially terrible last night in the national semifinal.


I wouldn't say that. He unfortunately is on a cold shooting streak throughout this tournament. You are drafting him to be a specialist. He made several key basket cuts/plays in that game. Probably back half of lotto though, versus front half given the stage.
Coeur
Analyst
Posts: 3,430
And1: 568
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#95 » by Coeur » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:37 am

Kispert is a way better athlete than being given credit for. But balances out with he’s not quite the shooter he’s tagged as. He could go as early as 8-10. But should be a 12-16 in this draft


Drew Timme is the guy nobody wants to talk about. I think he lands 10-14 but could easily be anywhere 7-25 in this draft

Ayayi and Nembard are both worthy of being taken 25-30. Really good picks 30-45


Anton Watson is the second best pro on this years team. If he comes out he will still go late lottery to 20 or so
Chuck Everett
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,899
And1: 4,075
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
   

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#96 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:36 am

Jaime Jaquez was cooking Kispert something fierce. This dude will never be able to guard any wings in the NBA. And I think Jaquez is a pro prospect. How do people have this dude in the lottery? He's a fringe NBA guy at best.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,863
And1: 3,461
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#97 » by Fischella » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:18 am

Coeur wrote:Drew Timme is the guy nobody wants to talk about. I think he lands 10-14 but could easily be anywhere 7-25 in this draft

Jesus, I kinda forgot about the tourney overreaction since we didn't have one last year, but it is back in full force

This take is ridiculous to be clear
shakes0
Veteran
Posts: 2,745
And1: 3,141
Joined: Jul 14, 2017
Location: Chicago
       

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#98 » by shakes0 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:11 pm

Coeur wrote:Kispert is a way better athlete than being given credit for. But balances out with he’s not quite the shooter he’s tagged as. He could go as early as 8-10. But should be a 12-16 in this draft


Drew Timme is the guy nobody wants to talk about. I think he lands 10-14 but could easily be anywhere 7-25 in this draft

Ayayi and Nembard are both worthy of being taken 25-30. Really good picks 30-45


Anton Watson is the second best pro on this years team. If he comes out he will still go late lottery to 20 or so



:crazy: WHAT??? Are you kidding me? That Watson guy is friggen terrible. Easily the worst player on the court for either team in the last 2 games. He's so bad there was one point Saturday where Kispert dove on the floor for a loose ball and then could've just given it to Waston who was 3 feet away, but instead chose to try and roll it slowly past a defender to get it to Ayayi who was 10 feet away. That's how bad Watson's teammates think he is.

No way Watson is an NBA player. The NBA can't be that bad can it?
Coeur
Analyst
Posts: 3,430
And1: 568
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#99 » by Coeur » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:41 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Coeur wrote:Kispert is a way better athlete than being given credit for. But balances out with he’s not quite the shooter he’s tagged as. He could go as early as 8-10. But should be a 12-16 in this draft


Drew Timme is the guy nobody wants to talk about. I think he lands 10-14 but could easily be anywhere 7-25 in this draft

Ayayi and Nembard are both worthy of being taken 25-30. Really good picks 30-45


Anton Watson is the second best pro on this years team. If he comes out he will still go late lottery to 20 or so



:crazy: WHAT??? Are you kidding me? That Watson guy is friggen terrible. Easily the worst player on the court for either team in the last 2 games. He's so bad there was one point Saturday where Kispert dove on the floor for a loose ball and then could've just given it to Waston who was 3 feet away, but instead chose to try and roll it slowly past a defender to get it to Ayayi who was 10 feet away. That's how bad Watson's teammates think he is.

No way Watson is an NBA player. The NBA can't be that bad can it?

Anton Watson has played way below his ability. Almost sheepishly.

Kispert was better at the beginning of the year when Anton Watson started with him.

Watson is the teams best defender. Should be a more aggressive and impactful offensive player. Will have to make a huge jump still to become a 1st round pick. That might happen tonight. Or with another season.
Coeur
Analyst
Posts: 3,430
And1: 568
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Gonzaga prospects thread 2021 

Post#100 » by Coeur » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:44 pm

Fischella wrote:
Coeur wrote:Drew Timme is the guy nobody wants to talk about. I think he lands 10-14 but could easily be anywhere 7-25 in this draft

Jesus, I kinda forgot about the tourney overreaction since we didn't have one last year, but it is back in full force

This take is ridiculous to be clear

I have no idea what you are using to take a leap toward believing this is tourney overreaction based in your imagination. So please just skip to and explain Drew Timme NBA draft prospect/prospects

Return to NBA Draft