Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,719

Re: Duke prospects thread 2021 

Post#81 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:09 am

TheBunk wrote:I think it hurts his stock more than it helps. 5 teams in 4 years isn't an anomaly. I'd imagine some strong culture teams will write him off for a first round selection.

Dont get me wrong, I do agree with this. Diva and Jalen were being mentioned long before this, again this has become a really bad pattern that every front office for sure has noticed. And again I think teams want to see like a Brandon Ingram situation after a benching, see the kid not pout, then put his head down and get better and prove he should be in that starting lineup. That's what Ingram did, but Ingram has been known to have a crazy work ethic and good teammate from day 1.

But again from Jalen's perspective. You dont want to be in college in the first place, youre only there for the Duke exposure and K. Well there is no Duke exposure this year because no one is watching a .500 team. Also K is not a benefit, he has been a hindrance. So why keep going to class, why keep playing for a team that you dont want to be on and no one else wants you on. Again I dont blame Jalen, screw all that crap.

But yes as a fan of Jalen (still am, again I have no negative feelings for him for doing this). Yes without a doubt his personality is going to be a major question mark. I agree 5 teams in 4 years is not an anomaly, the NBA teams will hear how there was no chemistry on or off the court with him and this Duke team. This will all be talked about for sure. But ya even if it means a slight slide in the draft, I cant blame Jalen, again I think he was in a lose-lose situation.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#82 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:59 am

My thing is with the timing of this. It is mid-Feb and he should have shut it down sooner if all this was going on behind the scenes. Now, it looks like the injury was a cop out (which it was, but it doesn't really matter) and he has 2-3 weeks of games left. Is the situation that unbearable that you can't finish out the year? Duke has close to no shot at an NCAA birth. Do we really think that two weeks is going to torpedo his draft stock?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#83 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:11 am

jman3134 wrote:My thing is with the timing of this. It is mid-Feb and he should have shut it down sooner if all this was going on behind the scenes. Now, it looks like the injury was a cop out (which it was, but it doesn't really matter) and he has 2-3 weeks of games left. Is the situation that unbearable that you can't finish out the year? Duke has close to no shot at an NCAA birth. Do we really think that two weeks is going to torpedo his draft stock?

I dont think staying at Duke was going to torpedo his draft stock, he has been misused all year and now has been relegated to coming off the bench. But again if your Jalen what is the point of sticking around? He already has the diva tag and will already be asked questions on why he couldnt stick on a team in high school. And even if he does stick around, teams will ask about the bad body language, the yelling at teammates and the bad chemistry on and off the court (teams will dig and find this out).

So ya if Im Jalen, screw it. I already have the red flags. Might as well get out of this place I clearly dont want to be at and just focus on my next stop.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#84 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:17 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:My thing is with the timing of this. It is mid-Feb and he should have shut it down sooner if all this was going on behind the scenes. Now, it looks like the injury was a cop out (which it was, but it doesn't really matter) and he has 2-3 weeks of games left. Is the situation that unbearable that you can't finish out the year? Duke has close to no shot at an NCAA birth. Do we really think that two weeks is going to torpedo his draft stock?

I dont think staying at Duke was going to torpedo his draft stock, he has been misused all year and now has been relegated to coming off the bench. But again if your Jalen what is the point of sticking around? He already has the diva tag and will already be asked questions on why he couldnt stick on a team in high school. And even if he does stick around, teams will ask about the bad body language, the yelling at teammates and the bad chemistry on and off the court (teams will dig and find this out).

So ya if Im Jalen, screw it. I already have the red flags. Might as well get out of this place I clearly dont want to be at and just focus on my next stop.

But, that entire mentality you described is everything most organizations want to avoid. So that is the point of sticking around. Show you can cope in an untenable situation. What do you think he will experience next year with many of these terrible basketball cultures (lottery teams)? Now, you know he is going to quit on them. Watch this guy's stock drop to late 1st.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#85 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:23 am

jman3134 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

But, that entire mentality you described is everything most organizations want to avoid. So that is the point of sticking around. Show you can cope in an untenable situation. What do you think he will experience next year with many of these terrible basketball cultures (lottery teams)? Now, you know he is going to quit on them. Watch this guy's stock drop to late 1st.

I don't know, I just think he already had that red flag going into this season. The bad body language all throughout the year and constant yelling at teammates as well, I think all of this was still going to be an issue for him when it comes to how teams view him. I think his leaving will have an impact on his draft stock. But again I just think this issue was already well known for him and sticking around for 2-3 more weeks to continue to show horrible body language and bad chemistry wasn't going to save his draft stock all that much.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#86 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:41 am

Think the damage was/is pretty much already done at this point. Staying or leaving likely doesn't do much either way. His history is out there, the talent is known, and it likely would have taken a monster season with this deep of a class to ignore what was already known coming in and confirmed throughout the year. He'll get his interview chances to answer questions and see what if anything he can change
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#87 » by No-Man » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 am

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:if I am Banchero, Griffin and Baldwin I would think twice honestly about joining Duke but it's probably too late (no offense to my mans Duke)

Baldwin's going to Milwaukee to play for his dad.

I think Griffin is going to end up with Ignite, Duke I think ends up with

Roach-Keels
Steward-Keels
Moore-Baker
Banchero-Brakefield
Williams-Coleman

I think Moore comes back barring massive improvement, that should be a good team really
No-Man
RealGM

Post#88 » by No-Man » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 am

Duke4life831 wrote:And its not like Duke had an ace at PG like the Jones bros or something which prevented Jalen from playing with the ball more often.

off topic but Tre has been the best player in the G-League bubble so far
No-Man
RealGM

Post#89 » by No-Man » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
TheBunk wrote:I think it hurts his stock more than it helps. 5 teams in 4 years isn't an anomaly. I'd imagine some strong culture teams will write him off for a first round selection.

Dont get me wrong, I do agree with this. Diva and Jalen were being mentioned long before this, again this has become a really bad pattern that every front office for sure has noticed. And again I think teams want to see like a Brandon Ingram situation after a benching, see the kid not pout, then put his head down and get better and prove he should be in that starting lineup. That's what Ingram did, but Ingram has been known to have a crazy work ethic and good teammate from day 1.

But again from Jalen's perspective. You dont want to be in college in the first place, youre only there for the Duke exposure and K. Well there is no Duke exposure this year because no one is watching a .500 team. Also K is not a benefit, he has been a hindrance. So why keep going to class, why keep playing for a team that you dont want to be on and no one else wants you on. Again I dont blame Jalen, screw all that crap.

But yes as a fan of Jalen (still am, again I have no negative feelings for him for doing this). Yes without a doubt his personality is going to be a major question mark. I agree 5 teams in 4 years is not an anomaly, the NBA teams will hear how there was no chemistry on or off the court with him and this Duke team. This will all be talked about for sure. But ya even if it means a slight slide in the draft, I cant blame Jalen, again I think he was in a lose-lose situation.

The thing with Johnson, absolutely worst worst case scenario he gets drafted early 2nd round and gets one of these "richest 2nd round contracts" that keep rising each year, he is getting at worst over a $1M guaranteed, prob a tad more
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#90 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:48 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

But he's giving credence to all the red flags. If anyone had doubt that he deserved them, those doubts are gone.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,011

Post#91 » by Am2626 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:10 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Actually this decision shows a lack of character by Jalen Johnson. He’s not good enough to do this. Look at Zion and the pressure that was put on him to pack it up after his injury. Yet he comes back and honors his commitment. Zion is 100 times the prospect Jalen Johnson is. This guy has a history of this going back to high school. Makes you wonder if he will quit on his NBA team if things get tough. He should be looking at playing in games and working on his development rather than sitting around and waiting for the draft. I guess he doesn’t have the confidence to bet on himself. Hope he falls in the draft.
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#92 » by TraBuch » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:26 am

On another note, thoughts on Hurt? I don't think he's gonna be able to guard anyone in the NBA, but the shot is for real. I've seen him make many contested threes this year, and a Dirk-like fade away inside.

Dude's improved a crapton since last year.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#93 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 am

Hurt is in the 30-45 range for me, I think the shooting/scoring is real as an off the bench stretch big in the NBA, just won't give much anywhere else really depending on the lineups you insert him to, but for sure draftable.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#94 » by No-Man » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:24 am

Hurt is Nicolò Melli
crows2
Senior
And1: 560

Post#95 » by crows2 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:56 pm

Fischella wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:And its not like Duke had an ace at PG like the Jones bros or something which prevented Jalen from playing with the ball more often.

off topic but Tre has been the best player in the G-League bubble so far

Paul Reed's been the best player. But yeah, Tre has been great. I don't see any reason why he won't at least be a top back-up PG in the NBA for many years.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#96 » by Marcus » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#97 » by nolang1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:08 pm

I think Brakefield might be the best prospect on the team if you're considering Johnson a hands-off guy for attitude reasons.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#98 » by jman3134 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:59 am

Matthew Hurt absolutely looks the part of a good pro. His ability to separate and create space is very advanced. He has been lights out shooting the ball. Pretty much a no brainer prospect imo. He should come out this year.
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#99 » by TraBuch » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:05 am

jman3134 wrote:Matthew Hurt absolutely looks the part of a good pro. His ability to separate and create space is very advanced. He has been lights out shooting the ball. Pretty much a no brainer prospect imo. He should come out this year.

There's no chance he stays another year. He seriously considered leaving early last year despite being terrible, after the way he's looked this year, he's a lock to leave.

I'm extremely impressed by his shot making this year. Most of his threes are contested with a hand in his face and I still feel like he's gonna swish every one of them, not to mention his Dirk fadeaway.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#100 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:16 am

jman3134 wrote:Matthew Hurt absolutely looks the part of a good pro. His ability to separate and create space is very advanced. He has been lights out shooting the ball. Pretty much a no brainer prospect imo. He should come out this year.

he should, no reason for him to go back to Duke, he's an NBA scorer at 6-10, will for sure get drafted.

Return to NBA Draft