Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Re: Jalen Johnson 

Post#61 » by Catchall » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:He looks like post-multiple surgeries Jabari Parker. Don’t see the appeal with him at all. Just a funky archetype in today’s game.

this is weird to me...how is a 6-9 (and he's a legit 6-9 btw) point-forward who can run transition, half-court, shoot from multiple levels and defend at an + rate a 'funky archetype'?

I need to see more to believe he can shoot from multiple levels.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#62 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:03 am

It's funny how much love JJ is getting from that game. Do people realize Champagnie is only 6 months younger?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#63 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:25 am

clyde21 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:He looks like post-multiple surgeries Jabari Parker. Don’t see the appeal with him at all. Just a funky archetype in today’s game.

this is weird to me...how is a 6-9 (and he's a legit 6-9 btw) point-forward who can run transition, half-court, shoot from multiple levels and defend at an + rate a 'funky archetype'?

I've actually really enjoyed watching him this year. I know Duke wasn't the ideal place for him to demonstrate some of his talent, but what he's demonstrated as a defender has been really encouraging. He does almost everything you want a modern power forward/point forward to do really well.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#64 » by Marcus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2021823

merged
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#65 » by Marcus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Catchall wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I need to see more to believe he can shoot from multiple levels.

yeah the shooting aspect is what i'm most concerned with. the rest of this game i think translates just fine next level. think he performs better in that setting.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Duke prospects thread 2021 

Post#66 » by Marcus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:24 pm

Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,604

Post#67 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Ive been high, then low, then high again on Jalen. The number 1 surprise for me with him is his bounce in the paint. He is a legit 6'9, thick and that dude gets up with ease. His rebounding and rim protection have been pretty damn good (yes I know small sample size).

But my biggest critique with him was the lack of versatility, I dont think he has the foot speed to play as a 3 (at least have 2 bigger slower guys on the court with him). So because of that I started to lower my value on him. But with how big he looks, ya I can see him being a 4 with the ability to play the 5 in a small ball lineup. Really dont get the Jabari comparison at all, Jabari never passed and was horrific from day 1 on the defensive end. Very different players.

Now I cant go on with a Duke post without of course my obligatory K bashing statement. My god has this man fallen off a cliff over the last 5 years or so. Ya this isnt a stacked Duke team like we have seen in the past, but its not like its a team with 0 talent either. I hope this team has really shined a light on how K has really just become a roll the ball out and let the players do something kind of coach. Its really bad.
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#68 » by TraBuch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:21 am

TraBuch wrote:Jalen Johnson was showing some bad body language in today's game, getting mad at Mark Williams. K was jumping on him like I don't often see him jump on OADs.

Also, about 30 minutes after the game, he put up an IG post saying he misses Milkwaukee. Normally I'd just say it's a young kid getting homesick, but with the way he left IMG and other schools, there's some obvious maturity issues here.

Curious if he takes the entire thing to heart and gets better or if he just packs his bags and leaves, figuratively or literally.

Oh, and on another note, Wendell Moore might be the least talented player I've ever seen at Duke. Holy crap is he bad. He literally doesn't do one thing well.

Called it. He's opting out of the season. I wouldnt touch this this guy in the draft. Couldn't stay on a high school team and the moment he faces some adversity in college, he packs his bags. Dude has serious maturity issues.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#69 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 am

good, as he should, Coach K is completely senile and refuses to actually utilize him in any capacity that takes advantage of his skill set, he should just get ready for the draft process, Duke's going nowhere fast this year regardless.
TraBuch
Sophomore

Post#70 » by TraBuch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:38 am

clyde21 wrote:good, as he should, Coach K is completely senile and refuses to actually utilize him in any capacity that takes advantage of his skill set, he should just get ready for the draft process, Duke's going nowhere fast this year regardless.

Maybe if he didn't have a history of doing this. This is his fifth team in four years and he's quit each one.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#71 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:39 am

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:good, as he should, Coach K is completely senile and refuses to actually utilize him in any capacity that takes advantage of his skill set, he should just get ready for the draft process, Duke's going nowhere fast this year regardless.

Maybe if he didn't have a history of doing this. This is his fifth team in four years and he's quit each one.

doesn't matter, there's no reason for him to stay at Duke at this point. his history if teams have an issue with it will be reflected during the draft regardless.
TraBuch
Sophomore

Post#72 » by TraBuch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 am

clyde21 wrote:
TraBuch wrote:

doesn't matter, there's no reason for him to stay at Duke at this point. his history if teams have an issue with it will be reflected during the draft regardless.

Do you think playing out the rest of the season would've hurt his draft stock worse than quitting yet another team?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#73 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:46 am

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
TraBuch wrote:Maybe if he didn't have a history of doing this. This is his fifth team in four years and he's quit each one.

Do you think playing out the rest of the season would've hurt his draft stock worse than quitting yet another team?

if K continues to play him off the bench and refuses to use him in any capacity other than a rebounder yes. he should focus on getting right at this point for the draft process, if he has a good answer on why he chose to go this route instead I don't think it'll be a huge issue, I think he was bound to drop anyways because those question marks were always gonna be there regardless.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#74 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:48 am

if I am Banchero, Griffin and Baldwin I would think twice honestly about joining Duke but it's probably too late (no offense to my mans Duke)
TraBuch
Sophomore

Post#75 » by TraBuch » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:49 am

clyde21 wrote:if I am Banchero, Griffin and Baldwin I would think twice honestly about joining Duke but it's probably too late (no offense to my mans Duke)

Baldwin's going to Milwaukee to play for his dad.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#76 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:50 am

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:if I am Banchero, Griffin and Baldwin I would think twice honestly about joining Duke but it's probably too late (no offense to my mans Duke)

Baldwin's going to Milwaukee to play for his dad.

is that confirmed? if it is good.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 am

Haha I think I’ve made it pretty clear on my thoughts on K in the recent years. I wouldn’t blame anyone choosing not to play for him.

2010 was the end of prime elite K.
2015 was the end of good K (very inconsistent that year, but he did end up making the move of Winslow to the 4 which is why they ended up winning it all)

He’s been in a pretty steep nosedive since. All he does now is just roll the ball out and hope he has a big enough talent advantage and the players figure something out.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#78 » by jman3134 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:37 am

It is probably just me, but I value a guy playing even if he is "going to get exposed." Even if it is pragmatic for one's draft stock to not play, to me it demonstrates mental weakness (and a tendency to allow others to get into your ear) - both qualities I wouldn't want in a prospect if I am an NBA team. If Johnson was not utilized properly at Duke, it is not like scouts can't see through that at this point. Patrick Williams came off the bench at Florida St. If you commit to something, follow through.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#79 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:39 am

I think Jalen was in a lose-lose situation. His attitude is for a sure a major question mark. Bounced from team to team and had the diva tag on him. So Duke is just another team on a long list of teams now that Jalen couldnt seem to make work. That no doubt is going to be talked about with front offices. Also its not like Jalen was the first OAD that K moved to come off the bench to send a message. Early on the same thing happened with Brandon Ingram, he struggled and K cut his minutes and had him come off the bench. He put his head down and improved and after a few games started playing better and was right back in the starting lineup. Jalen's body language just got worse and worse and he has been yelling at teammates all season long.

Now to Jalen's side. Talk about a complete misuse of his talents. These big combo wings used to be K's specialty at building an offense around and showing them off. From day 1 I had no clue what K was doing with Jalen. Most of the time had him off the ball and just in the garbage dunking spot in the offense. And its not like Duke had an ace at PG like the Jones bros or something which prevented Jalen from playing with the ball more often. Jalen would show these flashes of his playmaking ability (you know one of the reasons he was such a highly ranked recruit). But after the flashes, he would be put right back in that dunker/garbage spot on offense.

So this Duke team has zero chemistry on or off the court (ive been told), K is no longer K and lets be honest any other coach would be fired with how he has wasted the talent he has had over the years. Jalen is obviously being misused. So like its hard for me to blame Jalen for bouncing. But again, this for sure will be talked about with front offices. This seems to be a reoccurring thing with Jalen already, thats not good.
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#80 » by TheBunk » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:57 am

I think it hurts his stock more than it helps. 5 teams in 4 years isn't an anomaly. I'd imagine some strong culture teams will write him off for a first round selection.

Return to NBA Draft