peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#161 » by peZt » Mon Feb 1, 2021 4:18 pm

MemphisX wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
This is comical but we will revisit this often for laughs and giggles.

Maybe one day, but as of now he’s a spot up shooter who can block a few shots, but is extremely soft as a rebounder and inside presence. For a supposedly 6’11 generational athlete to be grabbing rebounds at Andrea Bargnani levels is BAD. Rebounds are kind of overrated, but when it’s glaringly bad, it speaks volumes.

He’s not that daunting of a prospect or as a player to pretend he was generational in his own draft, or his nba play to pretend a guy can’t be a better prospect than him. :dontknow:

You saying he is a spot up shooter shows you don’t watch him play. But go ahead and start trying to move the goal posts.

Never heard anyone refer to Jaren as generational. Plus I even posted Mobley was a better prospect. He went 4th in the draft, so your extremely overrated prospect take does not hold up.

Oh almost the entirety of Draft Twitter was absolutely in love with Jaren and called him all sorts of superlatives. I remember one guy on Twitter even said he had GOAT potential.

To me Mobley has the most potential in this draft. He could be a true generational big
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#162 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:23 am

MemphisX wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
This is comical but we will revisit this often for laughs and giggles.

Maybe one day, but as of now he’s a spot up shooter who can block a few shots, but is extremely soft as a rebounder and inside presence. For a supposedly 6’11 generational athlete to be grabbing rebounds at Andrea Bargnani levels is BAD. Rebounds are kind of overrated, but when it’s glaringly bad, it speaks volumes.

He’s not that daunting of a prospect or as a player to pretend he was generational in his own draft, or his nba play to pretend a guy can’t be a better prospect than him. :dontknow:

You saying he is a spot up shooter shows you don’t watch him play. But go ahead and start trying to move the goal posts.

Never heard anyone refer to Jaren as generational. Plus I even posted Mobley was a better prospect. He went 4th in the draft, so your extremely overrated prospect take does not hold up.

What would you call a big man who shoots half of his attempts from behind the 3 (92% assisted), takes twice as many 3’s as free throws, gets less than 1 dunk per game, and 70% of his shot attempts are jumpshots?

There are no goalposts to move, he’s a jump shooter. What he can do in theory is cool to speculate about, but his supposed uber athleticism isn’t translating. Yet.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#163 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Feb 2, 2021 4:25 am

peZt wrote:Oh almost the entirety of Draft Twitter was absolutely in love with Jaren and called him all sorts of superlatives. I remember one guy on Twitter even said he had GOAT potential.

Nah man, I totally made that up in my head, along with other things for guys I don’t watch.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#164 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:26 am

Draft Twitter can turn into an echo chamber, I liked Jaren a lot coming out, had him 3rd in the class iirc, but no not generational, that word gets thrown around wayyyy too often
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#165 » by bondom34 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:34 am

Yeah I'd agree w/ clyde on that one. Think I had him 2nd even, but Luka was the guy. And TBH draft twitter, while insightful at times, is a strange place. Gets very focused on a few prospects and won't let up.

Also I don't count out JJJ just yet, he's had some injury problems.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#166 » by MotownMadness » Wed Feb 3, 2021 4:29 am

Mobley tonight

23 Pts
11 Rebs
1 Stl
2 Blks
8-13 FG
7-7 FT
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#167 » by Marcus » Wed Feb 3, 2021 5:38 am

MotownMadness wrote:Mobley tonight

23 Pts
11 Rebs
1 Stl
2 Blks
8-13 FG
7-7 FT

Decent
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#168 » by MotownMadness » Wed Feb 3, 2021 3:46 pm

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#169 » by codydaze » Wed Feb 3, 2021 6:05 pm

23 Pts
11 Rebs
1 Stl
2 Blks
8-13 FG
7-7 FT

He had about 2-3 blocks that didn't get logged too because the offensive player got called for charging and then a couple others that were goaltending because the ball hit the glass first but they were pretty close. His shot blocking is legit and the way he can move his hips/feet on defense out on the perimeter is pretty great for his size and length.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#170 » by amcoolio » Wed Feb 3, 2021 6:40 pm

I want him on the Hornets so bad

I still think we'll lose enough to have good odds to maybe get him
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#171 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 4, 2021 10:49 pm

codydaze wrote:

23 Pts
11 Rebs
1 Stl
2 Blks
8-13 FG
7-7 FT

He had about 2-3 blocks that didn't get logged too because the offensive player got called for charging and then a couple others that were goaltending because the ball hit the glass first but they were pretty close. His shot blocking is legit and the way he can move his hips/feet on defense out on the perimeter is pretty great for his size and length.

Not explosive, but everything he does is so smooth with so little wasted motion. Even when he talks to the refs after they blew an obvious call - he's looking totally relaxed when most players would lose their cool. There's an unusual level of maturity there with his coolness.

One thing that did confuse me was why he was standing so far out on the perimeter in some key possessions and too far out to crash the offensive boards. But that's coaching - maybe they wanted him to be back in transition defense.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#172 » by DCasey91 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 12:45 am

Besides Embiid he’s the best big coming out of the draft since Davis. Love him to bits.

I have him as a higher prospect than Towns/Ayton and Wiseman (I don’t like bigs that are sub average defenders, Wiseman looks bad so far). Mobley looks like a defensive anchor for your team while giving you 18/9 on the other end super early I believe (within 2 seasons). He’s also flashed advanced scoring moves. Can shoot, and his free throw rate is fine (hovering above 70%). Insane versatility on both ends on the floor.

Cade is okay but I don’t think his ceiling isn’t as high. Mobley has super high iq/awareness for the game. He just needs to add weight which will happen (he’s a kid) 25-30 pounds legit superstar potential.

But all things being equal I’ll take the huge floor and the huge ceiling there in Mobley. He looks like Davis 2.0 if his potential is reached. Both are starters and can contribute well from day one.

In regards to them both I have Mobley topping out at a higher ranking of player in the NBA in their primes (top 10/top 5), Cade (Top 30/top 20ish).
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#173 » by Dat2U » Sat Feb 6, 2021 6:37 pm

Mobley should be the #1 pick in 2021 hands down. I think he's just a notch below AD & Embiid as a prospect coming due to their elite physical tools. I compare him to KAT in terms of physical traits and offensive skill but he's a more complete player who can excel defensively as well. I even have to throw out the ridiculous Tim Duncan comparison due to the fact you can't make him play fast and he's always even keeled.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,580

Post#174 » by MemphisX » Sun Feb 7, 2021 1:58 am

Dat2U wrote:Mobley should be the #1 pick in 2021 hands down. I think he's just a notch below AD & Embiid as a prospect coming due to their elite physical tools. I compare him to KAT in terms of physical traits and offensive skill but he's a more complete player who can excel defensively as well. I even have to throw out the ridiculous Tim Duncan comparison due to the fact you can't make him play fast and he's always even keeled.

People will think this is a hot take. I am on board with the Tim Duncan comp also. As much as I value Cade's archetype of being a big initiator. However, if you evaluate Cade as just a play making wing that changes things a lot.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#175 » by Marcus » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:59 am

MemphisX wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Mobley should be the #1 pick in 2021 hands down. I think he's just a notch below AD & Embiid as a prospect coming due to their elite physical tools. I compare him to KAT in terms of physical traits and offensive skill but he's a more complete player who can excel defensively as well. I even have to throw out the ridiculous Tim Duncan comparison due to the fact you can't make him play fast and he's always even keeled.

People will think this is a hot take. I am on board with the Tim Duncan comp also. As much as I value Cade's archetype of being a big initiator. However, if you evaluate Cade as just a play making wing that changes things a lot.

The modday Duncan comp was birth here on the boards, we all see it. No1 is still Cade's to lose but if someone decided they loved Mobes more no one on that coaching staff or within that fan base should have anything to complain about. Highest ceiling in the class could be argued on Mobes behalf.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#176 » by crows2 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:16 am

DCasey91 wrote:Besides Embiid he’s the best big coming out of the draft since Davis. Love him to bits.

I have him as a higher prospect than Towns/Ayton and Wiseman (I don’t like bigs that are sub average defenders, Wiseman looks good so far). Mobley looks like a defensive anchor for your team while giving you 18/9 on the other end super early I believe (within 2 seasons). He’s also flashed advanced scoring moves. Can shoot, and his free throw rate is fine (hovering above 70%). Insane versatility on both ends on the floor.

I’m very high on Cade too. Super polished. But I don’t think his ceiling isn’t as high. Both have super high iq/awareness for the game. Mobley just needs to add weight which will happen (he’s a kid) 25-30 pounds legit superstar potential.

But all things being equal I take the huge floor and the huge ceiling there in Mobley. He looks like Davis 2.0 if his potential is reached. Both are starters and can contribute well from day one.

In regards to them both I have Mobley topping out at a higher ranking of player in the NBA player in their prime (top 10/top 5), Cade (Top 25/top 12ish).

In the modern day NBA I simply don’t see how you could think Mobley has a higher ceiling than Cunningham. Cade is the current archetype of a championship contending franchise player. We’re yet to see a big like Mobley be the number 1 player on a championship team in this era of the NBA. If you’re taking Mobley it’s because he has a higher floor than Cade. But you’re risking missing out on a potential number 1 player in a championship team for someone who at best is likely to be a number 1.5 (eg. Davis).
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#177 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:17 am

Marcus wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

The modday Duncan comp was birth here on the boards, we all see it. No1 is still Cade's to lose but if someone decided they loved Mobes more no one on that coaching staff or within that fan base should have anything to complain about. Highest ceiling in the class could be argued on Mobes behalf.

everything is born here on these boards now, Draft Twitter steals from us
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#178 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Feb 7, 2021 11:45 pm

crows2 wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Besides Embiid he’s the best big coming out of the draft since Davis. Love him to bits.

I have him as a higher prospect than Towns/Ayton and Wiseman (I don’t like bigs that are sub average defenders, Wiseman looks good so far). Mobley looks like a defensive anchor for your team while giving you 18/9 on the other end super early I believe (within 2 seasons). He’s also flashed advanced scoring moves. Can shoot, and his free throw rate is fine (hovering above 70%). Insane versatility on both ends on the floor.

I’m very high on Cade too. Super polished. But I don’t think his ceiling isn’t as high. Both have super high iq/awareness for the game. Mobley just needs to add weight which will happen (he’s a kid) 25-30 pounds legit superstar potential.

But all things being equal I take the huge floor and the huge ceiling there in Mobley. He looks like Davis 2.0 if his potential is reached. Both are starters and can contribute well from day one.

In regards to them both I have Mobley topping out at a higher ranking of player in the NBA player in their prime (top 10/top 5), Cade (Top 25/top 12ish).

In the modern day NBA I simply don’t see how you could think Mobley has a higher ceiling than Cunningham. Cade is the current archetype of a championship contending franchise player. We’re yet to see a big like Mobley be the number 1 player on a championship team in this era of the NBA. If you’re taking Mobley it’s because he has a higher floor than Cade. But you’re risking missing out on a potential number 1 player in a championship team for someone who at best is likely to be a number 1.5 (eg. Davis).

Idk man. I think the title blueprint has basically been the team that’s been the most overwhelmingly talented, and the fact that big wings are the most common title leaders recently is more due to the fact that there are just simply a lot more good/great players in that size range than there are guys over 6’10, and under 6’4.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#179 » by DCasey91 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:36 am

crows2 wrote:

Jokic/Embiid with the right setup can definitely break it open and win big time. I see Mobley with that kind of potential. Either way it’s not a knock on Cade at all it’s not like Ayton vs Doncic.

As someone mentioned earlier if an organization falls in love with Mobley and takes him 1st I can definitely see why.

This isn’t a deal breaker at all but for me Cade’s ceiling isn’t as high as someone like Luka.
I haven’t seen the elite of elite scoring potential. His athleticism/shooting is also a question mark.

I can easily see a 21/7/6 wing that will basically
Raise the floor of any team’s potential. I just don’t see top 5 wing player in the NBA when both enter their primes. The top say 8 nba players have some type of otherworldly skill/ability that separates themselves.

I do see it with Mobley though. Some type of hybrid of Duncan/Davis/Garnett, 20/11/4/1/2.5 some type of stat line while being a DPOY. He has such a high floor yet has so much potential waiting to be unlocked. He’s just super moldable into what sort of big man he can become.

Besides historical big men could name ten off the top easy, (including Durant + James) have like 85% of all championships or been a key part of it. (Higher if you discount the Bulls).
Just so happens both Durant and James have otherworldly skills attached to them.

It’s subjective I know I just like Mobley more when all things are added up.

(Also whoever has the 1st overall pick could be a big factor between the two).

For me it’s like comparing Pierce (subtract a little shooting/scoring for playmaking) to Garnett for me I’d take Garnett.
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#180 » by Almond2Oak » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:45 pm

Kids gonna be a star. Anyone doubting him is a in the same blah blah blah crowd as Wiseman. Get some lower half weight on him and it’s game.

Return to NBA Draft