Evan Mobley - USC

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,373

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#221 » by The Box Office » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 am

This kid is gonna be incredible. He's already an absolute monster on defense. To me, Evan is the undisputed Defensive player of the Pac 12.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#222 » by 916fan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:05 pm

I've finally been able to watch Mobley. With the reactions on this thread and twitter, I assumed he'd be a more polished offensive player. He's extremely talented, but raw. He's got great length, but a narrow frame. He lacks strength that becomes evident when he tries defending the post. Quick timing+length will allow him to be a good shotblocker in the NBA. He has the lateral quickness+IQ to defend the perimeter. Defense is where a lot of his potential is coming from.

On offense, he does a good job of slipping screens and moving off-ball. He really likes to attack the basket and makes a living at the FT line from taking advantage of slower bigs who get hand checked or can't keep up with his dribbles/speed. The shooting potential is there based off his 70% FT, but I don't think he's a 3pt threat at this point yet despite his 1.1 attempts. He's much more comfortable in the mid-range. He favors his falling away shot from the spin. He relies on his length and touch for getting his shot off. He plays a bit out of control sometimes when he forces his offense. He puts up a lot of ugly shots and gets bailed out with calls. I don't see a specific go-to offensive move, but as noted earlier, his bread and butter is probably going to be at the FT line where he can initiate contact.

He looks like who Skal Labissiere was supposed to be in college.

I don't see him as a franchise player the same way others here do. I don't think he's a guy you try to build your team around. However, his 2-way ability on both ends can easily make him the 2nd best player on a contending team. I think he'd fit great next to a dynamic scoring guard. He doesn't challenge Cade at #1 for me, but he's still a good prospect. I haven't finished watching the other guys, but he's a top 10 player in ANY draft, and probably a top 5 in this one.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#223 » by EvanZ » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:59 pm

The Box Office wrote:This kid is gonna be incredible. He's already an absolute monster on defense. To me, Evan is the undisputed Defensive player of the Pac 12.

Thanks
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#224 » by jman3134 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:46 am

Doesn't mean anything because it is one game, but Arizona is carving him up a bit.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#225 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:08 am

mobley is a **** velociraptor

and lolwut @ the play at 20 seconds

Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#226 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:08 am

i still need convincing that he's not the best big prospect since Davis.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#227 » by jman3134 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 am

clyde21 wrote:i still need convincing that he's not the best big prospect since Davis.

Zion?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#228 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 am

jman3134 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i still need convincing that he's not the best big prospect since Davis.

Zion?

not including Zion, Zion is a combo big/forward hybrid doesn't count for me.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#229 » by EMG518 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:30 am

clyde21 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:

Zion?

not including Zion, Zion is a combo big/forward hybrid doesn't count for me.

Embiid. He only dropped to 3 due to injury concerns. Most would still have taken him 1 in his draft. He was getting Hakeem comps.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#230 » by Marcus » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:32 am

clyde21 wrote:mobley is a **** velociraptor

and lolwut @ the play at 20 seconds

Read on Twitter

Day1 problem since I saw him
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#231 » by DCasey91 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:37 pm

I have Mobley still firmly the best big prospect I’ve seen since Embiid. He’s way more advanced offensively then Embiid was but he is a literal savant and a true monster big man/size.
Only query is motor but it’s more nuanced with him. Makes it look real easy sometimes.

My comp is a Bosh/Davis hybrid. My favourite prospect in this high end talent draft. Would pick him number 1# for sure.

Defensively he is sound hence why I rate him higher than Towns and co that are a tier below (Embiid aside without injury I thought for sure Hakeem/Shaq reincarnated this year though he’s gone insane lol).

Offensively I don’t see a rawness at all not when you can pass/handle/shoot already at good level skillset. Wouldn’t surprise me if he put up 20/10/3 numbers while being an elite as heck two way player.

I always prefer players that have a super high floor and still a long way to go with them. His versatility alone in how you want to mold him would have team scouting departments salivating.

With Cade if he goes number one no harm no foul. But he is in my eyes a lot more developed more importantly psychically as well.

He isn’t close to a Luka prospect (Special offensive manipulation, way more advanced skillset, his body hasn’t filled to out the max yet (Lebron without the athleticism but way superior ball handling skills/tricks?) even his low floor was in my mind Hayward 2.0 with more passing chops.

I can see Cade being a more aggressive/leader type Hayward level All star talent as a comp. Though his handle and maneuverability could use some work.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#232 » by MotownMadness » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Back to back 26pts, 9rebs and 5 blks games

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#233 » by Homerclease » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:53 pm

Should be the number one overall pick
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#234 » by DickGrayson » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Underrated by many on this board. His game is perfectly suited for the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#235 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:08 pm

DickGrayson wrote:Underrated by many on this board. His game is perfectly suited for the NBA.

How's season 3 of Titans looking Dick?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#236 » by CptCrunch » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:51 pm

This guy is #1.

Mobley isn't a generation player, and we really haven't had one since Davis/Embiid.

Even though bigs don't dominate games anymore, I feel Mobely can be a re-roll at Ayton/Towns but without the basement bottom IQ of Ayton and lack of defensive awareness of Towns. His offensive will probably never touch Towns' production, but a 20/12/3 type of player would be a perpetual DPOY/MVP-impact player.
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#237 » by KobesScarf » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:49 am

CptCrunch wrote:This guy is #1.

Mobley isn't a generation player, and we really haven't had one since Davis/Embiid.

Even though bigs don't dominate games anymore, I feel Mobely can be a re-roll at Ayton/Towns but without the basement bottom IQ of Ayton and lack of defensive awareness of Towns. His offensive will probably never touch Towns' production, but a 20/12/3 type of player would be a perpetual DPOY/MVP-impact player.
Ayton has just as much talent as Davis and Embiid.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#238 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:51 am

David Robinson reborn.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#239 » by MemphisX » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 am

In any draft without a big lead ball handler. Cade's archetype is the tie breaker.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#240 » by DCasey91 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:10 am

KobesScarf wrote:

Ayton has just as much talent as Davis and Embiid.

Ayton was a suss defender in college that was clear. I’m never high on Bigs that aren’t great defenders.
Towns was very good but in NBA he is hopeless.

Jokic though while being so so is a phenomenal offense talent (by the end he has a case for being the most offensive all round center all time he’s incredible).

20/10+/3 DPOY/All NBA def with a top 3 MVP shout wouldnt suprise me with Mobley in the slightest.
His super high floor, super high ceilings, his versatility and the most important thing his moldability puts him at the top in case in my eyes.

The only other prospect that I have at a higher ceiling is Jalen Green (He’s very special) he’s not boom/bust at all but for me he’s just a bigger unknown.

Either or should really be the number 1 prospect. I don’t take into account the player that they are now. I look at transferability, development scaling and what the finished product will be.

5 years time I have Mobley and Green over Cade quite comfortably

Return to NBA Draft