DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#561 » by DCasey91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:59 pm

shakes0 wrote:
SaiCLE wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
I have expressed this exact sentiment but I'm starting to think that if Sexton leaves they'll have nobody aggressive enough to go get their shot. They'd need to have great ball movement and Okoro would need to become a knockdown shooter. That said, the improved defense would make for a much better game to watch

I agree. I would really like to get Reddish

Reddish for what? Cleveland doesn't have anything Atlanta wants over Reddish in terms of the players who would be offered.

Reddish needs to get paid next year (though withstanding actual NBA performances) so he may or may not get pushed out. And it’s a well risky proposition. Hawks would have a better gauge then anyone here.

He does have abit of a 2cent head on him(so does Sexton for that matter).

I’d prefer the offense of the Cavs to go through Garland/Marks/Mobley starting this year. Move Sexton at the deadline for as much as you can and go from there.

Cavs with Chet potentially could be something special.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#562 » by clyde21 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:33 am

velociraptor
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#563 » by CptCrunch » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 am

CptCrunch wrote:

This like feeling like a Doncic situation again.

Mobley is a can't miss prospect.

I really need my #2 team the Rockets to take "Moab" over Green. C'mon Rockets front office, read this post.

Basically a Doncic situation again.

Safe low ceiling player goes #1.

High athleticism player goes #2.

Analytics darling/clear best prospect drops to #3.

Rockets and Pistons screwed up big. Basically took the #4 (Green), #6 (Cade)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#564 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 8, 2021 10:38 pm

imma need 2k to fix my guy's face scan
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#565 » by EMG518 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:15 am

Better prospect than Chet?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,710

Post#566 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:34 am

EMG518 wrote:Better prospect than Chet?

In my opinion ya without a doubt.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#567 » by DCasey91 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:39 am

Chet is potentially better, but it is potential. Will have a better look on Saturday coming up but he’s legit as can be for a number one prospect. This isn’t Ant/Cade tier stuff.

I wouldn’t say without a doubt and I rate Mobley as high as can be.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#568 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
clyde21
RealGM

Post#569 » by clyde21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:25 pm

DCasey91 wrote:

Chet is potentially better, but it is potential. Will have a better look on Saturday coming up but he’s legit as can be for a number one prospect. This isn’t Ant/Cade tier stuff.

I wouldn’t say without a doubt and I rate Mobley as high as can be.

i think Chet's peaks can be potentially higher just because of the scoring pop he has that Mobley might not but will probably have lower valleys as well, Mobley imo will just be a more consistently great player tho.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#570 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 6, 2022 11:25 pm

i don't like how he's getting lost in the sauce in Cleveland, not only does he have to share front court looks with Allen, he's got Mitchell/Garland shooting 30 times a pop.

if Cleveland's plan is for him to be the 4th guy on offense, I hope they trade him to someone willing to put him to more use offensively (like the warriors ;) )
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#571 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 7, 2022 1:09 am

clyde21 wrote:i don't like how he's getting lost in the sauce in Cleveland, not only does he have to share front court looks with Allen, he's got Mitchell/Garland shooting 30 times a pop.

if Cleveland's plan is for him to be the 4th guy on offense, I hope they trade him to someone willing to put him to more use offensively (like the warriors ;) )

Its basically a toss up game to game on if he is the 4th or the 5th option (between him and Allen). Him and Allen are basically just asked to set screens and play the dunker spot. That is basically the offensive roll they have him in now and dont see that changing any time soon with the 3 perimeter players they have.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#572 » by yoyoboy » Mon Nov 7, 2022 2:04 am

I'll take it you guys haven't tuned into Cavs games tooo much this season then. Because you'd see Mobley is really raw offensively still. The attempts at getting him the ball and letting him create haven't gone well so far this year. He just doesn't have the lower body strength to get good position closer to the hoop, his outside shot is a work in progress, and his weak handle prevents him from driving past guys.

Offensively he's been mostly used for his passing and then finishing once he gets a path to the hoop, and then sometimes bail-out turnaround jumpers in the paint when the shot clock is low, which is exactly how he should be utilized right now. This team is too good already to hurt itself by getting him a bunch of inefficient post-ups and mid range jumpers this season. This isn't a lottery team anymore, and they have to play to win.

Good news is defensively he's just awesome and he's heavily contributing to a team that's 8-1 regardless of the PPG. I think people too often think that for a guy to develop you need to force feed him as much as possible and let him play through his struggles, but time and time again we've seen contending teams steadily develop their prized young guy (like Kawhi, PG, Butler, Brown, or Siakam) by more gradually increasing his responsibilities and not immediately throwing him into a first or second option role, which by the way would be insane on a team with offensive players as good as Garland and Mitchell. The idea is to expose him to winning basketball, build positive habits, and let the growth come more naturally rather than letting him chuck a bunch of shots to the detriment of the team. For other young players, that might be a huge issue, but the Cavs have done a fantastic job of bringing in very selfless low-ego players and Mobley fits that bill, so he's not concerned about his FGA in year 2 as long as the team is winning like this. Realistically, Mobley doesn't even have the kind of game or personality that screams primary scoring option anyways, and I don't think he needs to be in that role to become one of the most impactful players in the game through his defense, playmaking, and off-ball finishing.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#573 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 7, 2022 2:26 am

yoyoboy wrote:I'll take it you guys haven't tuned into Cavs games tooo much this season then. Because you'd see Mobley is really raw offensively still. The attempts at getting him the ball and letting him create haven't gone well so far this year. He just doesn't have the lower body strength to get good position closer to the hoop, his outside shot is a work in progress, and his weak handle prevents him from driving past guys.

Offensively he's been mostly used for his passing and then finishing once he gets a path to the hoop, and then sometimes bail-out turnaround jumpers in the paint when the shot clock is low, which is exactly how he should be utilized right now. This team is too good already to hurt itself by getting him a bunch of inefficient post-ups and mid range jumpers this season. This isn't a lottery team anymore, and they have to play to win.

Good news is defensively he's just awesome and he's heavily contributing to a team that's 8-1 regardless of the PPG. I think people too often think that for a guy to develop you need to force feed him as much as possible and let him play through his struggles, but time and time again we've seen contending teams steadily develop their prized young guy (like Kawhi, PG, Butler, Brown, or Siakam) by more gradually increasing his responsibilities and not immediately throwing him into a first or second option role, which by the way would be insane on a team with offensive players as good as Garland and Mitchell. The idea is to expose him to winning basketball, build positive habits, and let the growth come more naturally rather than letting him chuck a bunch of shots to the detriment of the team. For other young players, that might be a huge issue, but the Cavs have done a fantastic job of bringing in very selfless low-ego players and Mobley fits that bill, so he's not concerned about his FGA in year 2 as long as the team is winning like this. Realistically, Mobley doesn't even have the kind of game or personality that screams primary scoring option anyways, and I don't think he needs to be in that role to become one of the most impactful players in the game through his defense, playmaking, and off-ball finishing.

This is kind of the point Ive been making on here though and to be clear Im not bashing CLE for anything theyve done with their team. I really like their entire team setup.

The point Ive been making on here is unless the Big is a freak talent, his role is going to get limited into a far more basic role (similar to what Mobley is doing). In today's NBA it seems pretty clear teams arent looking to do the long term offensive build around bigs. That is why we saw CLE make a move for LeVert and then Mitchell. Again from a team standpoint I dont blame the Cavs for doing either move and its clearly paying off big time for them.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#574 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 8, 2022 12:00 am

i don't think anyone is claiming Evan is the most sophisticated scorer in the world already but he's just not gonna get enough reps whether he was or isn't when Mitchell/Garland are taking 30 shots a night and sharing half the front court looks with JA.

Return to NBA Draft