Keegan Murray

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Re: Keegan Murray 

Post#61 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:worth noting that in conference is metrics have dropped off considerably

37 PER -> 30 PER
63 TS% -> 58 TS%
.307 WS -> .207 WS

raw production as well relative to usg

that said, the prod was absolutely absurd to begin the year, i think a drop off was expected.

Now he's back up to 35 PER, 62% TS and .246 WS in conference play.
Hawkeyejam
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#62 » by Hawkeyejam » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 pm

Keegan would really benefit for being off this Iowa team. There are some decent players but Iowa lost Two NBA players off roster, a capable #3 who transfered to UK in CJ Frederick and often injured Jack Nunge who was supposed to be this years starting 5(Transfered to Xavier where he averages 13 and 7).

Really plays on an incomplete team that has really struggled with rebounding and streaky shooting. Murray actually has a lot of growth to get better and it starts with him taking on the role of the guy further. He can get timid in that regard. Keegan has the ability and his athletic ability is better than most think. He just needs to embrace being the guy and wanting the ball in his hands at big moments
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#63 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:50 am

The-Power wrote:
clyde21 wrote:worth noting that in conference is metrics have dropped off considerably

37 PER -> 30 PER
63 TS% -> 58 TS%
.307 WS -> .207 WS

raw production as well relative to usg

that said, the prod was absolutely absurd to begin the year, i think a drop off was expected.

Now he's back up to 35 PER, 62% TS and .246 WS in conference play.

lmao

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#64 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:31 am

He’s underrated. he’s underrated because he’s not seen as a shooter or a plus athlete. The the reality is, he is both.

Not only is his 37% 3pt FG very respectable, but I believe he’s even a better shooter than that. He has an excellent stroke and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him finish at 40%+ (shooting 43% from three on 5 attempts/gm in conference play).

And he’s a damn good athlete - he’s not a flashy athlete which I think contributes to his athleticism being underrated, but he runs the floor as well as anybody in cbb and gets on top of the rim often and with ease.

Should be a top 5 pick and whoever gets him at the back end of the lottery is getting the steal of the draft.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#65 » by EvanZ » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:00 pm

Passing is one of the biggest weaknesses imo
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:41 pm

EvanZ wrote:Passing is one of the biggest weaknesses imo

agreed. that and ballhandling. the other attributes (length, athleticism, shooting, motor, ability to score at all three levels) will take him a long way, but if he's going to be an all star, passing and ballhandling have to be better.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#67 » by The-Power » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:49 pm

EvanZ wrote:Passing is one of the biggest weaknesses imo

Yeah, it's the main area of concern for me. If he was a notable plus passer I'd be singing top 5 praises for him (instead of just top 10).
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#68 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:03 am

last 2 gmes 67 points 13 boards 1 assist 7 stocks 2 total turnovers 8 total missed FGA lol

Should he be a top 5 rated guy?

Or 67 points. 8 missed shots. 2 turnovers. 4 offensive rebounds, 3 steals and some blocks. Efficiency.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#69 » by The Moose » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:55 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:last 2 gmes 67 points 13 boards 1 assist 7 stocks 2 total turnovers 8 total missed FGA lol

Or 67 points. 8 missed shots. 2 turnovers. 4 offensive rebounds, 3 steals and some blocks. Efficiency.

I would be very hesitant to take someone his age in the top 5. He'll be almost 22 on draft night, and this is the list from the last 20 years of guys who were over 21 yrs old and drafted in the top 5

kris dunn
thomas robinson
wesley johnson
evan turner
hasheem thabeet
al horford
adam morrison
shelden wiliams
raymond felton
emeka okafor
ben gordon
devin harris
dwyane wade
mike dunleavy
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:15 pm

The Moose wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:last 2 gmes 67 points 13 boards 1 assist 7 stocks 2 total turnovers 8 total missed FGA lol

I would be very hesitant to take someone his age in the top 5. He'll be almost 22 on draft night, and this is the list from the last 20 years of guys who were over 21 yrs old and drafted in the top 5

kris dunn
thomas robinson
wesley johnson
evan turner
hasheem thabeet
al horford
adam morrison
shelden wiliams
raymond felton
emeka okafor
ben gordon
devin harris
dwyane wade
mike dunleavy

no do guys drafted in the first round over that same time frame that were 21 and who became very good NBA players. iow, just because teams reached for some of those guys doesn't mean some others shouldn't have been picked top 5.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#71 » by jangles86 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:52 am

Harrison Barnes with defence.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#72 » by The-Power » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:55 am

And the incredible season continues. Some of the moves are pro-level and he seems to add them to his repertoire more frequently now (the drive and step back at 0:10, the isolation post-up at 0:16, the pop-out 3 at 0:34, and the ‘Jabari-shot’ at 1:52).

On an only somewhat related note: I'd love for my Warriors to draft Kris Murray with their late first-round pick if he declares. Not sure where he's ranked by different draft sites at this point but he's definitely worth a first-round pick in my eyes.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:31 pm

I agree that Kris has a lot of the same skills and attributes as his brother - he just needs an opportunity to be the #1 option. I hope he stays at Iowa just to see what he can do as the alpha on the team. if he were to declare - which would be a bad move, IMO, i too would be tempted to take him at the end of the first.

but Keegan - what he's doing and how he's doing it is just so damn impressive. he's a scorer in every sense of the word. all you have to do is watch that MSU game - dude is scoring from everywhere on the court and in various ways. he's taking spot up threes, he hit a pull up three, he hit a pull up jumper, a step back, hook shots from the low post, drives to the rim, runners, left hand finishes - i mean, against one of the toughest defenses in the league, he showed off the entire repertoire and continues to do it with elite efficiency.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#74 » by MotownMadness » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:27 pm

Is he kind of in like a TJ Warren situation? I haven't watched him play much but I remember Warren being the leading scorer in college but not seen as a big time prospect.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:06 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Is he kind of in like a TJ Warren situation? I haven't watched him play much but I remember Warren being the leading scorer in college but not seen as a big time prospect.

murray has more nba attributes than Warren (and let's not forget, prior to injury Warren was damn good). he's longer and more athletic. he's a better rebounder and defender. Warren was a 26% three point shooter his sophomore season on about 3 attempts. Murray is a 37% three point shooter on 5 attempts.

you could perhaps call Warren a poor man's Murray and again, even at that let's not forget Warren had a season where he averaged 20 ppg on 60% TS. he's was no joke. maybe he should have been seen as a big(ger) time prospect.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,682

Post#76 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:01 pm

What a guy scores in college matters about as much as what players score in the G League.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:What a guy scores in college matters about as much as what players score in the G League.

huh? every one of the NBAs leading scorers (the ones who played college ball) were excellent scorers in college. any idiot understands it doesn't mean everything or translate for all great college scorers, but if you couldn't score in college, chances are you aren't scoring in the nba against better athletes.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,682

Post#78 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:23 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:What a guy scores in college matters about as much as what players score in the G League.

huh? every one of the NBAs leading scorers (the ones who played college ball) were excellent scorers in college. any idiot understands it doesn't mean everything or translate for all great college scorers, but if you couldn't score in college, chances are you aren't scoring in the nba against better athletes.

Russell Westbrook and Bradley Beal destroy your statement.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,256

Post#79 » by SNPA » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:26 am

jangles86 wrote:Harrison Barnes with defence.

That’s a solid pick six and later. That’s a top 10ish player at his position. Any team would take that at 8 and be thrilled.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,026

Post#80 » by Chi town » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:37 am

The-Power wrote:

And the incredible season continues. Some of the moves are pro-level and he seems to add them to his repertoire more frequently now (the drive and step back at 0:10, the isolation post-up at 0:16, the pop-out 3 at 0:34, and the ‘Jabari-shot’ at 1:52).

On an only somewhat related note: I'd love for my Warriors to draft Kris Murray with their late first-round pick if he declares. Not sure where he's ranked by different draft sites at this point but he's definitely worth a first-round pick in my eyes.

I said the same thing for my Bulls. I think Kris is going to be really good and is a year behind in development with his brother. That left hand will help him a ton. His shot blocking and low post activity is really good. His 3 ball looks real. He’s also a lob threat. Like his game.

I could see him making a big jump if he returns. If he gets a 1st round promise I think he’s gone though.

Return to NBA Draft