Isiaih Mosley

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,231

Isiaih Mosley 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:00 pm

Another interesting soph who is having a breakout year. Scored 29 yesterday.

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Re: Isiaih Mosley 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:42 pm

I appreciate the input when you feel like there's a player that might deserve a closer look. However, do you think we need all these threads for non-elite prospects? We have the 2021 Draft thread for that, and it gets quite difficult to keep track of threads that are never really used for discussion because the prospects are simply not relevant enough.

So may I ask: what's the benefit of making threads instead of posts in the general thread? I assume it's not just so you can later point out how you were the first to bring a prospect up by reference to the respective thread or to get more traction on Twitter, so I assume there's a different reason that I just fail to see.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:20 pm

The-Power wrote:I appreciate the input when you feel like there's a player that might deserve a closer look. However, do you think we need all these threads for non-elite prospects?

Just don't participate in the thread. I'm here to talk about prospects, elite and non-elite. Anyone who I think is a legitimate NBA prospect. If I recall, you started the Efe Abogidi thread. Is he an elite prospect? Probably not but maybe that's your opinion. I had no problem with you starting a thread on him. It costs me nothing to ignore it if I want to.

For reference, I started the Bouknight thread in Feb '20. Now he's a lock top 5-10 pick. I also started the Huerter thread way before he was on the radar. And the Tyrell Terry thread (which later someone else ignored and started a new one). Personally, I'd rather keep track of prospects in individual threads and not using RealGM's **** search functionality to do it.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,376

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:54 pm

We also have the threads that someone(?) puts a lot of effort into to track all these prospects so that the links can be followed. Not sure if there is a 2021 version, but if there is not, maybe Evan can put together one that has links to all the prospects he has posted in addition to any on the first two pages of the forum? Just a thought.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,906

Post#5 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:55 pm

The-Power wrote:I appreciate the input when you feel like there's a player that might deserve a closer look. However, do you think we need all these threads for non-elite prospects? We have the 2021 Draft thread for that, and it gets quite difficult to keep track of threads that are never really used for discussion because the prospects are simply not relevant enough.

So may I ask: what's the benefit of making threads instead of posts in the general thread? I assume it's not just so you can later point out how you were the first to bring a prospect up by reference to the respective thread or to get more traction on Twitter, so I assume there's a different reason that I just fail to see.

It seems very silly to me to have an entire NBA draft subforum and then we try to contain conversation within a single '2021 NBA Draft Thread'.

This place needs more threads if anything.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#6 » by The-Power » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:If I recall, you started the Efe Abogidi thread. Is he an elite prospect? Probably not but maybe that's your opinion. I had no problem with you starting a thread on him. It costs me nothing to ignore it if I want to.

I did, but only after a post in the 2021 thread with a question that got lost in it and with the genuine hope to actually learn something about the prospect first and foremost (since I haven't really seen him play).

For what it's worth, I'm not saying you can't start these threads. It's fine with me, and even if it wasn't I'm not a moderator here and therefore I'm not in any position to (want to) change anything.

EvanZ wrote:For reference, I started the Bouknight thread in Feb '20. Now he's a lock top 5-10 pick. I also started the Huerter thread way before he was on the radar. And the Tyrell Terry thread (which later someone else ignored and started a new one). Personally, I'd rather keep track of prospects in individual threads and not using RealGM's **** search functionality to do it.

I'm not denying that you've started threads about players that got more attention later, that's entirely besides the point. It would just seem to me that there's little benefit in having a thread up early in case the player breaks out later – once a player broke out and becomes more of a focus, a separate thread can still be started then, once it actually happens.

For me personally, the point simply is that I definitely won't remember which non-elite prospects have their own threads and therefore likely won't use them for the prospect in question once it's not on the first page any longer. But if you, and perhaps some others, are happy and satisfied with a lot of separate threads that generate little discussion (at first) then by all means: go ahead.

TheSuzerain wrote:It seems very silly to me to have an entire NBA draft subforum and then we try to contain conversation within a single '2021 NBA Draft Thread'.

That's not what we do, though. Most prospects or programs that actually generate discussion have their own threads already. The summary thread is more for niche or lower-ranked prospects, general thoughts/discussions on the draft and running commentary (e.g. during games) – at least that's how I view it.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:17 pm

The-Power wrote:That's not what we do, though. Most prospects or programs that actually generate discussion have their own threads already. The summary thread is more for niche or lower-ranked prospects, general thoughts/discussions on the draft and running commentary (e.g. during games) – at least that's how I view it.

My thought is, and I think some others agree, that we should dig deeper in the prospect pool. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has the most fun seeking out prospects *before* everyone else knows about them. That is literally the most fun I have in all this. Discovery. For my part, I'm trying to help other people get out of their box a little bit just looking at the Givony top 25 or who's at Kentucky this year.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:18 pm

babyjax13 wrote:We also have the threads that someone(?) puts a lot of effort into to track all these prospects so that the links can be followed. Not sure if there is a 2021 version, but if there is not, maybe Evan can put together one that has links to all the prospects he has posted in addition to any on the first two pages of the forum? Just a thought.

Yeah maybe I'll update that stickied thread.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#9 » by nolang1 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:05 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
The-Power wrote:I appreciate the input when you feel like there's a player that might deserve a closer look. However, do you think we need all these threads for non-elite prospects? We have the 2021 Draft thread for that, and it gets quite difficult to keep track of threads that are never really used for discussion because the prospects are simply not relevant enough.

It seems very silly to me to have an entire NBA draft subforum and then we try to contain conversation within a single '2021 NBA Draft Thread'.

This place needs more threads if anything.

If I had to choose between one big thread or 50+ threads about fringe prospects that amount to a 'first' comment along with a few box score numbers, I'd probably go with the big thread. Particularly early in the season when A) these threads are just listing a player's stats sight unseen, which you too can be up on do by spending 30 seconds skimming box scores from the night before or the leaderboards for whichever all-in-one metric you prefer and B) most of the prospect threads will inevitably end up buried to the point that someone will just end up making another thread around draft time or in an upcoming season. Either way the problem is more that this is a 1997 website with a very limited search function.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,489

Post#10 » by baldur » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:48 pm

How come it's easier to keep track of all those players in one thread rather than namely specific threads for the players?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#11 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:26 am

Read on Twitter

:lol:
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,761

Post#12 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:44 pm

The kid is basically 60/40/90 at this point :o
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.

Return to NBA Draft