Sharife Cooper - Auburn

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Ruzious, Marcus

MemphisX
Starter
Posts: 2,148
And1: 2,082
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#1 » by MemphisX » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 am

Ok, this guy needs his own thread. Was a dominate HS player and has had two very good games to start his season after the NCAA cleared him.



Upperclass
Veteran
Posts: 2,750
And1: 999
Joined: Aug 09, 2005

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#2 » by Upperclass » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:30 am

Looks like the standard undersized pg to me
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 20,048
And1: 6,528
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 am

Upperclass wrote:Looks like the standard undersized pg to me


Personally, I disagree. He has a real talent for getting to the rim, and is very heady. I think he's got above average strength and burst compared to other point guards of a similar size. I'm not really sure where that puts his upside, but I think he's a first round prospect pretty easily in most drafts (but maybe not *this one*, although I have him there at the moment).
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,620
And1: 3,417
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#4 » by Fischella » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Upperclass wrote:Looks like the standard undersized pg to me

agreed, a little bit more flash and burst, but unless he goes nuclear shooting wise, like Isaiah Thomas did, he doesn't have much more upside than a solid back-up PG at the next level

he has more burst than other small Guards but he isn't a stud there either

I think he is very obviously not a 1st round prospect
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 15,468
And1: 3,126
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#5 » by cgf » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:01 pm

He's crafty & quick, but that outside shooting has a long ways to go to compensate for how tiny he is.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,577
And1: 4,418
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#6 » by Marcus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 45,553
And1: 50,702
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:12 pm

cgf wrote:He's crafty & quick, but that outside shooting has a long ways to go to compensate for how tiny he is.


that's pretty much what it comes down to.

i like his passing instincts, he's quick-twitch (but nothing extraordinary for his size), is aggro and crafty around the rim, but at his size he's gonna need to be a 90th+ percentile shooter in the NBA to carve out a role.

i wouldn't be comfortable taking him in the top 45 tbh, and if I was his agent if he slips that far anyway I might just want him to go undrafted so he can pick his spot.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
karkinos
Head Coach
Posts: 6,081
And1: 1,907
Joined: Nov 06, 2009

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#8 » by karkinos » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 am

i loved what he could show at the HS level
i'm a fanboy ignoring everything about his height. he can ball and i would be crazy enough to take him in the lottery
MemphisX
Starter
Posts: 2,148
And1: 2,082
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#9 » by MemphisX » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:05 am

He is going to be a real good starting PG in the NBA.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 30,564
And1: 17,651
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm

He looks really good in those highlight videos
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 45,553
And1: 50,702
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:23 pm

he's got some real read+react ability, can quickly see plays develop and make the right play/pass...he's having a tough shooting game right now vs. Kentucky but has had some pretty impressive reads/passes throughout.

still hard to get over the size tho, very little margin of error for him because of it.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 20,048
And1: 6,528
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:32 am

clyde21 wrote:he's got some real read+react ability, can quickly see plays develop and make the right play/pass...he's having a tough shooting game right now vs. Kentucky but has had some pretty impressive reads/passes throughout.

still hard to get over the size tho, very little margin of error for him because of it.


He's still controlling the pace of the game and is a master manipulator of the defense. I think to be as good as he is, as small as he is, you have to have a ridiculous work ethic. I'm pretty confident the jumper will get better. Right now I see a much smarter Ty Lawson as a rough comp (not quite as quick).
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 45,553
And1: 50,702
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#13 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:37 am

babyjax13 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:he's got some real read+react ability, can quickly see plays develop and make the right play/pass...he's having a tough shooting game right now vs. Kentucky but has had some pretty impressive reads/passes throughout.

still hard to get over the size tho, very little margin of error for him because of it.


He's still controlling the pace of the game and is a master manipulator of the defense. I think to be as good as he is, as small as he is, you have to have a ridiculous work ethic. I'm pretty confident the jumper will get better. Right now I see a much smarter Ty Lawson as a rough comp (not quite as quick).


i don't disagree about his offensive IQ in general, I think the passing chops are very real, saw some pretty ridiculous left-handed inside-out swings, already has the lob pass down pat and can see it happen before the defense, can pass in transitions but also can run a set in half-court

he can't have days where he goes 5-10 from the FT line tho, he doesn't have that kinda margin of error given his limitations, needs to be an 85%+ FT shooter and a knock down 3pt shooter both off the dribble and off-screen/spot-ups, would help tremendously if he developed a consistent pull-up too. did see a couple of nice floaters today though which he will have to rely on in the NBA kinda like Trae.

i still don't see a top45 guy but if the shooting on all levels improves I think there's room to move up there. the PG skills are definitely real tho.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 15,468
And1: 3,126
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#14 » by cgf » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:41 am

My problem with Cooper is that to be successful in the NBA he doesn't just need to become a capable shooter at the next level, he needs to become an absolutely elite shooter. And that's just really hard to project him becoming, given how bad his shot is right now.

He's a lot of fun to watch at this level though.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 7,936
And1: 1,533
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#15 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:26 am

1-16 on 3s so far. Was gonna say good free throw shooter but 5-10 today.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,577
And1: 4,418
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Sharife Cooper - Auburn 

Post#16 » by Marcus » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:14 pm

Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

Return to NBA Draft