Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: Josh Giddey - 6'8 Aussie PG 

Post#101 » by GimmeDat » Sat May 1, 2021 11:30 pm

You can basically pencil him in for a triple double or close to it most games - I'm just pining out for some 20+ point performances.

It probably won't happen, because he just doesn't look for his shot first in that way, but it's basically the only distinction between he and LaMelo's NBL production. Aussie homers will argue 'that's because Ball hogged the ball and chucked', and sure, his usage was ridiculous, but he also demonstrated an ability to create shots for himself that Giddey simply can't do as well.

His shooting is trailing off a bit as well - 4 of his last 15 from 3.

But yeah, 15/11/13 off the top of my head last night - so good.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#102 » by DCasey91 » Sun May 2, 2021 12:04 am

GimmeDat wrote:You can basically pencil him in for a triple double or close to it most games - I'm just pining out for some 20+ point performances.

It probably won't happen, because he just doesn't look for his shot first in that way, but it's basically the only distinction between he and LaMelo's NBL production. Aussie homers will argue 'that's because Ball hogged the ball and chucked', and sure, his usage was ridiculous, but he also demonstrated an ability to create shots for himself that Giddey simply can't do as well.

His shooting is trailing off a bit as well - 4 of his last 15 from 3.

But yeah, 15/11/13 off the top of my head last night - so good.

That’s exactly where I’m at with Giddey in this NBA landscape you need to able to score 20 to be the starting PG. The facilitating is great (Best pure pg in the class outside of Suggs even that’s arguable).
Lamelo did very well in his last half dozen games or so even before then had a 30 point triple double.

Less concerned about the shot, psychical profile, defense, he’s a 6”8” pure PG and the best passer in this draft so he’ll be fine.

That’s why I can’t see him as a high quality starter yet. Still reckon his best role is playing 20+ minutes a night and be a primary PG running the second unit.

Teams just don’t hand out the keys to the offense without dynamic play. SGA, Fox, Young, Luka, etc. all have a knack of putting up scoring numbers.
Then Lonzo whose kinda like Giddey is more of a supporting role than the primary offensive hub.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#103 » by clyde21 » Sun May 2, 2021 12:38 am

he's like some version of post-injury Shaun Livingston to me, if he can at least be average defensively (Liv was a +) he should be a high impact player off the bench for someone, really solid archetype to have as your 1st guard off bench if you can put him next to a couple of shooters.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#104 » by EvanZ » Sun May 2, 2021 1:27 am

Ok guys can we please start spelling "physical" correctly? My god. He's not a psychic.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
LSandersBong
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#105 » by LSandersBong » Sun May 2, 2021 2:03 am

If Lamelo did not acclimatize and start producing this quickly in the NBA after his stint in the NBL would we be holding Giddey as a high regard as a prospect ?
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#106 » by DCasey91 » Sun May 2, 2021 9:00 am

LSandersBong wrote:If Lamelo did not acclimatize and start producing this quickly in the NBA after his stint in the NBL would we be holding Giddey as a high regard as a prospect ?

Probably not if we are honest, big guards have always been around. I mean Giddey does have a legitimate argument to be the best PG in this class so that itself was going to put him in high regard.
Outside of Green all the guards (PG, SG, Combo) come with their own strengths and weaknesses.
I mean it’s fair to say after 4 any of the next 5-6 could be picked at 5 (I don’t see Kuminga as a lock at 5 though I do like him. Something funky always happens per draft).
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#107 » by DaBolden76 » Mon May 3, 2021 11:13 am

I think a few teams will try and move up to draft Giddey. I expect him to be drafted in the 10-15 range. Has the ability to run the second unit easily given his performance with the 36ers to date.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#108 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:28 pm

DaBolden76 wrote:I think a few teams will try and move up to draft Giddey. I expect him to be drafted in the 10-15 range. Has the ability to run the second unit easily given his performance with the 36ers to date.

I think he could go even higher. He and Springer are the ones who I believe will rise a lot in the workouts. He could go even in the 6-8 range, IMHO.

Plus, there is also the LaMelo recency bias with Giddey, this will benefit him a little.
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#109 » by DaBolden76 » Mon May 3, 2021 11:15 pm

Yeah, I think he’s not highly rated atm as he is not playing in the US. Once he starts workouts, he’ll definitely become hot property.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#110 » by GimmeDat » Tue May 4, 2021 11:29 am

To be honest, I don't think workouts will do anything for him, 1v0 definitely wouldn't do his game justice. That said, you'd hope any good evaluator doesn't care for those sort of things much anyway.

Had 15 points tonight in a pretty 'bleh' blowout game.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#111 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:11 pm

GimmeDat wrote:To be honest, I don't think workouts will do anything for him, 1v0 definitely wouldn't do his game justice. That said, you'd hope any good evaluator doesn't care for those sort of things much anyway.

You're right, but let me rephrase my previous post: Giddey will benefit in the workout period, that is, when teams crunch the video evidence, the numbers, and mainly, the interview process, the psychological evaluation, etc.

I didn't mean the workouts itself, but that time of the year when they get to meet and know the players personally.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#112 » by GimmeDat » Tue May 4, 2021 11:22 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:To be honest, I don't think workouts will do anything for him, 1v0 definitely wouldn't do his game justice. That said, you'd hope any good evaluator doesn't care for those sort of things much anyway.

You're right, but let me rephrase my previous post: Giddey will benefit in the workout period, that is, when teams crunch the video evidence, the numbers, and mainly, the interview process, the psychological evaluation, etc.

I didn't mean the workouts itself, but that time of the year when they get to meet and know the players personally.

Yeah I agree! he's a good interview too, so that will help.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#113 » by Sactowndog » Fri May 7, 2021 5:18 am

GimmeDat wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Curious if you think Giddey could play the 3. The thought of Fox, Haliburton and Josh at the 1,2,3 is intriguing to me. I worry about his length at the 3. You can add size but you can’t add length.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#114 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri May 7, 2021 2:41 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Curious if you think Giddey could play the 3. The thought of Fox, Haliburton and Josh at the 1,2,3 is intriguing to me. I worry about his length at the 3. You can add size but you can’t add length.

I don't think he would be able to play the 3 full time, but in certain lineups that could work. Moreover, a rotation of him, Fox & Hali together, splitting the 96 minutes of PG/SG, would be great.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#115 » by GimmeDat » Tue May 11, 2021 6:37 am

Had his 3rd triple-double in 4 games the other night. Not bad for 40 min games from an 18 year old.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#116 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Ya, he is rocketing up the boards. Pretty special feel for the game at his age.

Really struggling to find an apt NBA comparison for him. Livingston with a better shot and athleticism in the middle of pre and post injury?
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#117 » by DCasey91 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:57 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, he is rocketing up the boards. Pretty special feel for the game at his age.

Really struggling to find an apt NBA comparison for him. Livingston with a better shot and athleticism in the middle of pre and post injury?

Absolute best description I can give you is a chilled out less athletic cousin to Lamelo. Not as special (scoring/defense) but he’s gifted none the same. Half the stuff they do is very similar, the other half is different. But both have seriously high advanced PG skills for their age even without the height factor.

Basically Lamelo plays with that wild energy, Ball would be Giddey if he had some Cali kush and a nap beforehand. People may think he’s slow (Like Luka lol) nope he controls the game and his mind is already ahead which is his greatest tool.

Giddey has more composure but Lamelo flashed some serious A grade star potential on the backend before draft time.

Legit argument to be the best PG/Passer in this draft (Better guard skills then Cade).

Rebounding, passing, floor general playmaking ability, will all be high tier very early on same thing with Ball. The scoring won’t be and the shooting/defense is the unknown part. Queries on his wingspan (same with Green) but that isn’t an issue when who have guard skills like he does.

Anywhere from 5-10 is my best guess. Some teams management would be very enticed by him in the workout. his upside is very high if he fills out well (bulk up possibly don’t know his genetic background, Ball/Luka are destined to fill out big time) and everything comes together. 18/8/9 stuff.

Only question marks imo are the frame, the shot, and his scoring potential nothing else. They are all big upsides for me for Giddey. If he naturally puts on a decent amount of size now we are talking.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#118 » by MemphisX » Wed May 12, 2021 4:54 am

I think when Giddey gets into a NBA weight program and impose his will physically with the ball, he is going to be hard to deal with. I see him more in the Magic Johnson mold (not level of player) but a big point guard that will be mediocre on defense but will help on the boards enough to make an impact. I think he is going to be a driver of good offense in the NBA though. Not sure if it will be elite offense but damn good offense.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Josh Giddey - 6'8 Aussie PG 

Post#119 » by Sandman88 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:55 pm

He’s a Joe ingles without the shot, and a better passer. Can’t defend and a so so athlete. He won’t go top 10
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#120 » by MemphisX » Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to NBA Draft