Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Josh Giddey - 6'8 Aussie PG 

Post#41 » by EvanZ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:32 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz would be all over Giddey if they had a chance at him.

A lot of people over here enjoy comparing him to Ingles. Obviously big difference in shooting but there's some similarities there.

Couldn't possibly be because they're both Australian? :lol:

Although now I realize you're Australian, which I never knew. G'day!
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,028

Post#42 » by mg » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm

NatP4 wrote:Now 22-49(45%) from 3 and 13-16(81%) from FT in his last 12 games.

Best passer in draft, elite shooter, success against pros at 18 years old, primary ball handler at 6’8.

Giddey is top 5.

Top 5 in the 2020 draft but not in 2021. Of course idiot GM's let Haliburton slide all the way out of the top 10 last year so you never know..

I like Giddey but he's clearly a tier below Ball from last year. By this time last year Ball had already made changes to his shot form. Giddey is finally starting to hit shots at a reasonable level in the ABL but still think he needs to make changes to his set shot in order to be effective in the NBA. Giddey also needs to get stronger and doesn't have the athleticism of Lamelo so question his ability to defend at an NBA level. I think he's a good developmental pick in the top 15 of this draft when it's all said and done. Being 6'-8" with passing skill he will be an enticing prospect for many teams. This draft is ridiculously deep though which is why he probably gets drafted closer to 10-15 than 5.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#43 » by NatP4 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:14 pm

Giddey missed shots for the first 7 games and has been an elite shooter ever since.

For reference, through his first 7 games, Lamelo shot 7-37(19%) from 3.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#44 » by Catchall » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:37 pm

A wing-sized player with high-level guard skills doesn't have to be an outstanding athlete or an outstanding shooter in order to get where he wants on the floor and make plays. The way the NBA floor is spaced, that type of player is going to be able to get in the lane and make a play over smaller defenders--whether it's a high pass, a shot or a finish at the rim.

The fact that Joe Ingles is an effective creator demonstrates this, and obviously Luka Doncic is becoming a master at this.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#45 » by DaBolden76 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:48 pm

EvanZ wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz would be all over Giddey if they had a chance at him.

A lot of people over here enjoy comparing him to Ingles. Obviously big difference in shooting but there's some similarities there.

They move similar...
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#46 » by EvanZ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 am

Ingles is old enough to be his dad lol
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#47 » by Sactowndog » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:21 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Giddey isn't very bad on D. I've watched every minute. He's not an overall positive, either, because there are issues around match-ups and foot-speed, but he was very good last night and overall has been solid.

I don't think he needs great athletic chops to be an on-ball player. He's getting to the rim consistently due to great change of pace and deception, and he picks up good speed in transition.

0:51 in this clip he's 1 on 1 with an NBA level athlete in Deng Adel. Was it the best defensive possession in the world? No. But it's an example of him getting all the way to the hoop against good athletes.

Will he get in to the paint with similar ease in the NBA? Probably not. But he will be able to run your offense and find his spots to attack.

Needs to tweak the form - sure. But he went 2/3 from three again last night and is shooting 19/43 (41%) from three in his last 10 games.

Just a reminder that LaMelo went 25% from three his NBL season prior as well and is shooting 37.5% his rookie NBA season.

Giddey's not a great shooter, but he's not a non-shooter.

What is his FT% and defensive IQ look like?
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#48 » by DCasey91 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 pm

Anyone that watches Giddey game by game knows what his strengths and weaknesses are.

I still have him as a lesser version of Lamelo Ball with the same queries coming into the NBA.

His transferability though just like Ball will be very high imo.

Outside of the Lotto he has legitimate high level guard skills at 6”8” and his composure is the main factor in what sets him apart from Lamelo at the time.

Imagine a composed Lamelo pre draft just not as athletic (length, wild energy), that’s Giddey.

He is the bolter in this draft (had first round territory (shot still needs work in the off-season, psychical stuff comes naturally, you can certainly make a case for top ten or higher)

Look at Kispert, Barnes, Wagner

take into consideration their own flaws/projections

Giddey belongs in that tier range (8-12).

Can’t teach primary guard skills at 6”8”.

Deni went 9 and Giddey has the more intriguing skillset.

If he had a wet jumpshot he would have gone 5-6 easily.

Skillwise he’s better than Simmons going into the draft (can see why people that have played/watched him rate him super highly).

Cade has the shot but Giddey is the better ballhandler/passer. Not saying he is Cade but he has legitimate best PG type skills in this draft.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#49 » by SNPA » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Anyone that watches Giddey game by game knows what his strengths and weaknesses are.

I still have him as a lesser version of Lamelo Ball with the same queries coming into the NBA.

Outside of the Lotto he has legitimate high level guard skills at 6”8” and his composure is the main factor in what sets him apart from Lamelo at the time.

Imagine a composed Lamelo pre draft just not as athletic (length, wild energy), that’s Giddey.

He is the bolter in this draft (had first round territory (shot still needs work in the off-season, psychical stuff comes naturally, you can certainly make a case for top ten or higher)

Skillwise he’s better than Simmons going into the draft (can see why people that have played/watched him rate him super highly).

Cade has the shot but Giddey is the better ballhandler/passer. Not saying he is Cade but he has legitimate best PG type skills in this draft.

What position does he play on defense and how solid can he be? With his size can you play him as a playmaking SF and have him defend wings?
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#50 » by DCasey91 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 pm

SNPA wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Anyone that watches Giddey game by game knows what his strengths and weaknesses are.

What position does he play on defense and how solid can he be? With his size can you play him as a playmaking SF and have him defend wings?

Won’t be great but won’t be as poor as people think imo. Once he fills out he’s too smart of a basketball player not to have some sort of good trade off (rebounding, steals). I’d say slower wings he’d do okay. Slightly below average is my guess. Will look bad at times during his first season or so.

Lamelo has his brothers feel so I had him grade out as above average (Too much length/IQ/innate instincts/zest not to be).

Giddey’s offense is where you get intrigued. Improves his jumper (quicker release, steadier base, wrist might need a tiny adjustment, but it isn’t broken at all in fact it’s fine just minor things).

His Ballhandling is great for his size can improve on it (sometimes has lapses but that’s with any young kid).

But other than that in the PNR he makes very high lvl reads/passes and his feel for the game is very advanced. He has that manipulation thing going on.
For his age he knows exactly what he’s doing 99% of the time in a grown man’s environment which is rare for his size/age.

Lamelo obv had some special about him. Giddey has some of that stuff, Lamelo was really really wild at times, Giddey is like his chilled out distant relative

Can’t teach 6”8” primary guard skills. Ingles comp is fair but Giddey is just more advanced age for age.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#51 » by DCasey91 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:04 am

The only real trouble/concern I have with Giddey is where to put him in the NBA’s landscape.

He’s obviously got high lvl transferability (which is my number one priority in any prospect) and super advanced along with a really good trajectory curve.

Handing the keys to the offense from first season onwards might not actually eventuate (can’t see any team to my knowledge that needs that).

Alternatively I don’t want to see a Deni situation that’s happening right now (grossly underutilized/managed how is a prospect meant to thrive on such low usage/time shouldn’t have drafted him because your legitimately drafting him with a comprised role from day dot).

Hopefully he gets the Hornets treatment with Ball and acts as a primary ballhandler with the second unit early on.

It’s clear he’s super advanced for his age which bodes well for the future.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#52 » by No-Man » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 am

Giddey is never going to be a handing the key to the offense type guy, ever
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#53 » by DCasey91 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:31 am

Fischella wrote:Giddey is never going to be a handing the key to the offense type guy, ever

That’s my point. Just don’t want to see a Deni situation unfolding.

A primary bench PG is in the wheelhouse for Giddey (linker type as a starter).
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#54 » by MemphisX » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:48 am

This thread has taken a turn toward comical. An 18 year old thriving running a pro team but...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#55 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:50 am

DCasey91 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Giddey is never going to be a handing the key to the offense type guy, ever

Starting PG. Im not sure what limits him to wing or backup PG or what fatal flaw that dooms him Tomas Satoransky status at 18.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#56 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:52 am

MemphisX wrote:This thread has taken a turn toward comical. An 18 year old thriving running a pro team but...

Yeah I'm a little taken aback by it too. I wanna know what limiting factors they see that I don't see.

6-8 guys with precocious skill do not grow on trees. He looks every bit of floor general to me.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#57 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:49 am

Sactowndog wrote:What is his FT% and defensive IQ look like?

FT% is at 68% atm (32/47).

Worth considering it's also positively skewed though 13/16 (81%) over his last 10.

Reality is probably somewhere in the middle, just like his jump-shooting. Not an outstanding shooter but not a terrible one either.

Defensive IQ.. he's got really good instincts, occasional lapses off-ball that I've seen, but I think the only significant concern should really be his foot-speed against smaller defenders.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#58 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:50 am

EvanZ wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Don't go thinking I've got a bias for hyping Giddey now Evan! :lol:

(Obviously I would like to see him succeed but I'm not going to say something I don't believe. Plenty of 'prospects' over here I think are overrated).
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#59 » by DCasey91 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:02 am

Dat2U wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Starting PG. Im not sure what limits him to wing or backup PG or what fatal flaw that dooms him Tomas Satoransky status at 18.

For which team though? That’s my biggest concern for Giddey (also I don’t rank him as high of a trajectory as a starter PG compared to other starter PG’s in the league).

Washington if Westbrook moves

Can’t see much other teams

Check the starting PG’s in the NBA
It’s a bigger risk handing the Keys to Giddey then it is Lamelo, I can’t see it happening at all.

Like for me max trajectory is something like a 15/5/8 starter guy nothing wrong with that.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#60 » by MemphisX » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:32 am

DCasey91 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

For which team though? That’s my biggest concern for Giddey (also I don’t rank him as high of a trajectory as a starter PG compared to other starter PG’s in the league).

Washington if Westbrook moves

Can’t see much other teams

Check the starting PG’s in the NBA
It’s a bigger risk handing the Keys to Giddey then it is Lamelo, I can’t see it happening at all.

Like for me max trajectory is something like a 15/5/8 starter guy nothing wrong with that.

You are doubling down on silliness.

IMO Giddey is way underrated in draft discussions. This will be another year of trying to find fault in the 6'8 lead guard that is already performing at 18 at a high professional level.

Giddey should be in consideration for the top pick in this draft but group think will never allow it.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to NBA Draft