Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: EJ Onu 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:07 am

jman3134 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
He was not asked to make plays for his teammates, so it is stat cherry picking. If he doesn't succeed, it will be because he did not make the adjustments defensively in the P&R. It would be the equivalent of saying Sharife Cooper didn't succeed because of his deficiencies as a shot blocker.

EJ's play strength is not what it needs to be in the post and this led to some of the turnovers, but he played within Shawnee's offense and was a focal point teams were trying to stop. I am not projecting him as a primary post, given his limited lower body strength.

Greg Brown handles the ball more and had 60 TOs to EJ's 63. EJ was not responsible for creating off the dribble in college. He shot spot up 3s and posted. If EJ succeeds, it will be because of his ability to translate defensively and hit 3's. If he doesn't, it will likely be for the same reasons.

Just because it's not his primary responsibility to set up teammates doesn't mean he shouldn't do it at times - especially against terrible competition. And it's not anything resembling a point guard not blocking shots. That's an absurd rationalization for an obvious deficiency. As a prospect, he's not a 3 point shot; he's a long shot.

And I already said I'm not impressed with Greg Brown, so why are using him in your argument?

It really isn't an absurd comparison because you are cherry picking a stat to point to a notable flaw in his game (which has nothing to do with how he would be used in the NBA). He was on the finishing end of most plays and was not asked to handle the ball or serve as a fulcrum big man out of the post. In the NBA, he would not be asked to do these things either based on his body composition and his strength/weakness profile (he has a thin build with a weak base and won't be able to hold post position), his below average handle, etc. He projects as a catch and shoot option, with the chance to create second chance points due to his length. Most role players will not have the ball in their hands the majority of the time, so this is fine.

The turnover portion of the game that is relevant is his play strength (which is where the majority of his turnovers were derived from, not from a lack of vision). His frame needed to improve (and it has a bit), but this is still going to be a weakness when he plays in traffic and with regard to his defense. He will need some time in the G League to adjust. I said this from the initial report in Jan/Feb to now. Same deal.

Lol. I don't quite understand the 3 point shot/long shot jab. I have consistently put his potential in the proper context.

You mentioned Greg Brown and the "level of competition" as to why Brown is a prospect and EJ is not. I don't believe this is fair considering how many overseas standouts come from non-D1 programs. With that said, you can't even compare assists/turnovers with these guys as their games are worlds apart. Brown attacks off the bounce and was not the number 1 option on his team - solely a complementary weapon. However pointless the comparison, EJ had comparable turnover numbers. So, technically you can be a prospect with a poor assist/TO profile, if we are looking at this purely from a box score standpoint.

What do ya mean you don't understand the 3 point jab. It was a play on words - some humor. I think you've made the same points a number of times, so it's probably time to let it go. I don't think he's a prospect at all and not worth any more discussion. If he gets drafted or ever does something, feel free to open this discussion back up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#42 » by jman3134 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:20 am

Fair enough - I mean I got it lol.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#43 » by The-Power » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:29 am

Ruzious wrote:Just because it's not his primary responsibility to set up teammates doesn't mean he shouldn't do it at times - especially against terrible competition.

Agreed. Of course role makes a difference, but no coach is telling his players to not make the extra pass or make a play for a teammate when the opportunity presents itself – and in the (purely hypothetical) extreme case that a coach would tell a player to just score all the time, it would be because the player in question has absolutely zero passing/playmaking ability.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by jman3134 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Gameplan is everything. If you are iso'd in the post without cutters or camping on the perimeter so your guards can create for themselves off the dribble, this opens up the lane, but doesn't lead to many assists.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#45 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:51 pm

EvanZ wrote:Good luck taking the 22-year old NAIA guy and expecting a starting center out of it.

How did it work out for the Onu hive?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by jman3134 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:16 pm

The expectation was G League, so to be determined. If he doesn't develop, he sure had all of the tools to do so: 7'8 wingspan and track speed.

We basically just started the G League season haha.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#47 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:07 pm

jman3134 wrote:The expectation was G League, so to be determined. If he doesn't develop, he sure had all of the tools to do so: 7'8 wingspan and track speed.

He is playing 4 minutes per game in the GL. :lol:

I hope you learned a lesson here. You have to be skeptical of guys like this coming out of nowhere. Literally nowhere. And it's not like people didn't tell you.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by jman3134 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:05 pm

EvanZ wrote:
jman3134 wrote:The expectation was G League, so to be determined. If he doesn't develop, he sure had all of the tools to do so: 7'8 wingspan and track speed.

He is playing 4 minutes per game in the GL. :lol:

I hope you learned a lesson here. You have to be skeptical of guys like this coming out of nowhere. Literally nowhere. And it's not like people didn't tell you.

He's leveling up from the NAIA to the G League. If he was still developing his game at Shawnee St., you can imagine it is still coming along in the G League. If he makes nothing of his opportunity, that is on him. What was the prediction? That he would be a second round stash for two years down the road? Hardly an egregious call.

Your level (DII NAIA etc) comments were way off and this year is proving it with Jojo Murray at Long Beach St, Qua Grant at Wichita (and Derrick White previously). Point being: NW Missouri St.'s Trevor Hudgins is an NBA player. And no, not a developmental player (like Onu) either.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#49 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:10 pm

jman3134 wrote:

Your level (DII NAIA etc) comments were way off and this year is proving it with Jojo Murray at Long Beach St, Qua Grant at Wichita (and Derrick White previously). Point being: NW Missouri St.'s Trevor Hudgins is an NBA player. And no, not a developmental player (like Onu) either.

Ummm Onu didn't ever transfer out of NAIA. So how does this "prove" anything? It was one reason I was very skeptical.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#50 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:07 am

Does anyone think he'll average double digits in the gleague, this year or next?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#51 » by EvanZ » Fri May 20, 2022 11:49 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
I mean you could say this about most prospects.

2020: What would you want a rookie center to do that Oturu can't do?

2019: What would you want a rookie center to do that Kabengele can't do?

2018: What would you want a rookie center to do that Bamba can't do?

The answer is: "Be good at basketball"

So all of those guys were 6'11" or taller with a solid frame at 240+ lbs, yet at the same time run like a deer, very agile for a big, can shoot 40% from 3 with excellent form that's smooth/fluid and high release, post up and block shots?

This is going to look so dumb in a year. I'll just wait it out.

Just had to bring this up for laughs. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by jman3134 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:46 pm

Not sure why you are laughing about a development big who could have been had in the 2nd round that nearly led the G League in blocks from the NAIA. No one ever said he was a 1st round pick. Season started off rough and got a little better towards the end as he started acclimating himself to P&R. Why does it matter that he hasn't made it in the NBA yet?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#53 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:00 pm

jman3134 wrote:Not sure why you are laughing about a development big who could have been had in the 2nd round that nearly led the G League in blocks from the NAIA. No one ever said he was a 1st round pick. Season started off rough and got a little better towards the end as he started acclimating himself to P&R. Why does it matter that he hasn't made it in the NBA yet?

It's because he likes to try and remind people any time he is right and ignore anytime he is wrong - e.g. his 20 pages on why Sengun was not a center.

Evan, you are a good poster and one of the best talent evaluators on the board, but this behavior is just annoying.

Tis all.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by jman3134 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:10 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Not sure why you are laughing about a development big who could have been had in the 2nd round that nearly led the G League in blocks from the NAIA. No one ever said he was a 1st round pick. Season started off rough and got a little better towards the end as he started acclimating himself to P&R. Why does it matter that he hasn't made it in the NBA yet?

It's because he likes to try and remind people any time he is right and ignore anytime he is wrong - e.g. his 20 pages on why Sengun was not a center.

Evan, you are a good poster and one of the best talent evaluators on the board, but this behavior is just annoying.

Tis all.

When you evaluate being right or wrong, it is 3 years out. Especially for a player who would have been at Texas Tech last year if he hadn't stayed in the draft.

If the guy said he would be a starter day 1, I can understand bringing up the thread. But, this doesn't even make sense considering he was a top shot blocker in the G League who is still probably 2 years away.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#55 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 am

If anyone thought he could or would pass at all he's still averaging 0.1 assists or whatever, which is kind of incredible. I'm pulling for him. It would be fun to see Evan being wrong on this one.

Like uh the assists thing has to be a pretty extreme outlier. I remember there was a particularly not good center who played for the nets who wouldn't/couldn't pass for assists either.

Found him. He had career averages of less than 0.04 assists per game in 9 mpg. In 36 minutes it was 0.1 assists per. Yinka Dare. Can't beat that.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#56 » by EvanZ » Mon May 23, 2022 5:43 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:If anyone thought he could or would pass at all he's still averaging 0.1 assists or whatever, which is kind of incredible. I'm pulling for him. It would be fun to see Evan being wrong on this one.

Like uh the assists thing has to be a pretty extreme outlier. I remember there was a particularly not good center who played for the nets who wouldn't/couldn't pass for assists either.

Found him. He had career averages of less than 0.04 assists per game in 9 mpg. In 36 minutes it was 0.1 assists per. Yinka Dare. Can't beat that.

Yeah fwiw, I think this guy has to have maybe one of the lowest BBIQ you'll ever find. Probably why he didn't get into D1 in the first place. Maybe he'll prove me wrong who knows.

Return to NBA Draft