Kofi Cockburn

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,317

Re: Kofi Cockburn 

Post#21 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:09 am

Great college player, but that’s where it ends in this country.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#22 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:25 pm

jman3134 wrote:I'd put him closer to a 1st. He is a banger and that still has value.

banger isnt a 1st. but he should be #31 as the main guy on the number 1 seed.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#23 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:there is just no point in drafting him, you can get this type of player easily every year in FA or as an UDFA, it's better to use your draft pick elsewhere and and pick up someone like him off the wire instead.

that was how gs declined. kept neglecting centers to the point they had to use number 2 for a fit instead of bpa.
the thing is kofi isnt braindead like a mcgee to the point where he will stop developing and is a fast learner.
to say he should be undrafted is like saying mobley isnt top 5. As much as I think Mobley sucks and overrated, this draft isnt that good for him to fall.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,222

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:51 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
clyde21 wrote:there is just no point in drafting him, you can get this type of player easily every year in FA or as an UDFA, it's better to use your draft pick elsewhere and and pick up someone like him off the wire instead.

that was how gs declined. kept neglecting centers to the point they had to use number 2 for a fit instead of bpa.
the thing is kofi isnt braindead like a mcgee to the point where he will stop developing and is a fast learner.
to say he should be undrafted is like saying mobley isnt top 5. As much as I think Mobley sucks and overrated, this draft isnt that good for him to fall.

lol, this is completely backwards, the C is one the position we haven't neglected, we drafted TWO centers in the first round during our run, Looney and Jones, one is still on the roster, Wiseman is the THIRD center we drafted in the 1st round the last 5 years, and that's on top of signing guys like Marquese Chriss and Zaza Pachulia. if there is any position we neglected it was the swingman/wing position, last year before we traded for Wiggins the only wing on our roster was Glen **** Robinson.

and lol @ the Mobley take.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,230

Post#25 » by EvanZ » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:53 pm

I love all the eye people who clearly don't watch much basketball.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#26 » by Catchall » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:06 pm

He's a beast with real presence and gravity at the rim. The question will be if he can trim his weight down to improve his mobility make it through an NBA season without wear and tear issues. He could go anywhere in the 2nd round and probably be a backup for someone.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#27 » by jman3134 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:25 am

EvanZ wrote:I love all the eye people who clearly don't watch much basketball.

What's your stance?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#28 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:00 am

jman3134 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I love all the eye people who clearly don't watch much basketball.

What's your stance?

He's a dinosaur and I wouldn't draft him.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by jman3134 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:47 am

Legit question: could Shaq play in the modern NBA? (Kofi isn't Shaq, but this underscores a point)
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#30 » by No-Man » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:49 pm

jman3134 wrote:Legit question: could Shaq play in the modern NBA? (Kofi isn't Shaq, but this underscores a point)

It really doesn't
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#31 » by kobyz » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Second coming of Erick Dampier
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#32 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:58 pm

jman3134 wrote:Legit question: could Shaq play in the modern NBA? (Kofi isn't Shaq, but this underscores a point)

"Kofi is basically Embiid" :lol:
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by jman3134 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:06 pm

The reason I am asking the question is not because Kofi is Shaq. At what point is a big man's productivity on offense enough to compensate for defensive limitations defending the perimeter? This extends to Shaq.

I made it clear in the post that Kofi is not close to Shaq. The question I am asking is very much legit. Every argument against Kofi can be applied to Shaq pertaining to defending on the perimeter. He could also be Erick Dampier. My point is to have a discussion about this archetype of player. So if Kofi developed his post work, could he played in the NBA? Or he just never could because he is this type of player?

What is the point where offensive productivity is enough to negate defensive liability on the perimeter?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by jman3134 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:16 pm

EvanZ wrote:

"Kofi is basically Embiid" :lol:

Embiid can shoot from 3 (this year) and defend in the modern NBA. So not what I am saying, no.

And yes, maybe it is laughable based on current trends (which suggest Kofi will not be drafted), but my question is very much relevant.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,222

Post#35 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:18 pm

jman3134 wrote:The reason I am asking the question is not because Kofi is Shaq. At what point is a big man's productivity on offense enough to compensate for defensive limitations defending the perimeter? This extends to Shaq.

I made it clear in the post that Kofi is not close to Shaq. The question I am asking is very much legit. Every argument against Kofi can be applied to Shaq. He could also be Erick Dampier. My point is to have a discussion about this archetype of player. So if Kofi developed his post work, could he played in the NBA? Or he just never could because he is this type of player?

What is the point where offensive productivity is enough to negate defensive liability on the perimeter?

no, this does not extend to Shaq, because Shaq had real ball skills for his size and was an outlier athlete, he was a mismatch nightmare in the post and would still be that today.

Kofi's best case scenario is what...Ian Mahinmi?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by jman3134 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:30 pm

clyde21 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:The reason I am asking the question is not because Kofi is Shaq. At what point is a big man's productivity on offense enough to compensate for defensive limitations defending the perimeter? This extends to Shaq.

I made it clear in the post that Kofi is not close to Shaq. The question I am asking is very much legit. Every argument against Kofi can be applied to Shaq. He could also be Erick Dampier. My point is to have a discussion about this archetype of player. So if Kofi developed his post work, could he played in the NBA? Or he just never could because he is this type of player?

no, this does not extend to Shaq, because Shaq had real ball skills for his size and was an outlier athlete, he was a mismatch nightmare in the post and would still be that today.

Every argument pertaining to the ability to defend on the perimeter and outside in P&R***. I should have been more clear. Helpside recovery concerns that you and Fischella brought up are obviously something different altogether.

Kofi is not Shaq. The athletic comparison is not close - the defensive impact is not close. My question is: how valuable is perimeter defense for bigs in the modern NBA and at what point does interior offensive efficiency outweigh perimeter D liability?

Is there room for offensive impact for bigs who can't defend on the perimeter? I think it comes down to rim protection, which is the most statistically significant characteristic for a big. You can't have a guy with short arms like Okafor. Kofi has a 7'6 wingspan. Kofi obviously would need to become more mobile for helpside recovery - that is what I think you guys are pointing out. Can this be improved upon?

Best case imo, he is Dwight Howard in the playoffs last year for the Lakers, but with a more sizable offensive impact potentially. This presumes some level of improvement in mobility, yes.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#37 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Your mistake is thinking he will be some kind of dominant interior scorer. He won’t be. I can promise you that. In fact he’s not even close to a guy like Nathan Knight who was on the outer edge of being a prospect.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#38 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:15 pm

I made it clear in the post that Kofi is not close to Shaq. The question I am asking is very much legit. Every argument against Kofi can be applied to Shaq pertaining to defending on the perimeter. He could also be Erick Dampier. My point is to have a discussion about this archetype of player. So if Kofi developed his post work, could he played in the NBA? Or he just never could because he is this type of player?

Kofi is not only bad defending the perimeter man, he is a mediocre defensive big all around, even near the rim, in help D, PNR D, all of it, that's the issue

The question ain't legit, like at all, because Shaq was a good defensive big, even if he couldn't probably defend the perimeter, but that's not a need, Gobert can't do that all game either and he is a monster

Dampier is closer to what you are talking about and no, Dampier would've not been a good or useful NBA player nowadays, he was just mediocre back then already

You can tell me he will be as good as Dampier, unlikely, and I'd not want to draft him still
No-Man
RealGM

Post#39 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:

You have never seen Ian Mahinmi play, they couldn't be less alike as bigs
No-Man
RealGM

Post#40 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:18 pm

jman3134 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Every argument pertaining to the ability to defend on the perimeter and outside in P&R***. I should have been more clear. Helpside recovery concerns that you and Fischella brought up are obviously something different altogether.

Kofi is not Shaq. The athletic comparison is not close - the defensive impact is not close. My question is: how valuable is perimeter defense for bigs in the modern NBA and at what point does interior offensive efficiency outweigh perimeter D liability?

Is there room for offensive impact for bigs who can't defend on the perimeter? I think it comes down to rim protection, which is the most statistically significant characteristic for a big. You can't have a guy with short arms like Okafor. Kofi has a 7'6 wingspan. Kofi obviously would need to become more mobile for helpside recovery - that is what I think you guys are pointing out. Can this be improved upon?

Best case imo, he is Dwight Howard in the playoffs last year for the Lakers, but with a more sizable offensive impact potentially. This presumes some level of improvement in mobility, yes.

short what? Okafor has a 7'5 wingspan man

best case is him being what? Dwight even at his age and after his injuries is a freaking incredible athlete for a 6'10 human, Kofi is never getting anywhere close to that

Return to NBA Draft