2021 NBA Draft Sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
Troubadour
RealGM
Posts: 12,740
And1: 7,442
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Toronto
 

2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#1 » by Troubadour » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:25 pm

Who are the players projected to go in the second round or undrafted that you hope land on your team?

My three are:
- Neemias Queta
- Joel Ayayi
- JT Thor

For Queta, to be as skilled a passer at his size is special. Add his improved shooting from the line and in the midrange and you have a potential rotation big for a long time. He is one of the most productive players in CBB this year and that size and shot blocking is hard to teach.

Ayayi, to me, is a superstar role player. Makes very few mistakes while spacing the floor, finishing at the basket, and serving as a secondary/tertiary playmaker. A lot to like in his game.

JT Thor is the biggest project of these three, but has a fascinating game. At 6'10", he has the size to guard bigger players and he is still quick enough to eventually hold his own in switching situations. He has shown flashes of an off the dribble game, but he doesn't appear strong enough to get all the way to the rim just yet. I'd love to get him in the G League for a year or two to really refine his game and at 19 years old, there's plenty of time to work with him.
Pekovic_MIP21
Ballboy
Posts: 15
And1: 5
Joined: Mar 14, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#2 » by Pekovic_MIP21 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:28 pm

Nice choices...I agree very much on Ayayi. Never going to be a superstar but I can see him being a valuable plug and play role player from the get go and having a nice long career.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catchall
RealGM
Posts: 14,205
And1: 6,414
Joined: Jul 06, 2008
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#3 » by Catchall » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:45 pm

Expecting the Jazz to draft at #30, I like Bennedict Mathurin, Filip Petrusev, Isaiah Todd and Marcus Bagley.

I think there's a meaningful chance that Bagley ends up better than Kuminga. He has that level of natural ability.
With Mathurin, you're looking for a Mikal Bridges-type 3D wing with a bit of ball handling.
With Petrusev, you're hoping for a rangier version of Sabonis who can play both the 4 and the 5.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
bbms
Analyst
Posts: 3,281
And1: 363
Joined: Dec 28, 2010
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#4 » by bbms » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:33 pm

Josh Giddey and Roko Prkacin. They would be mocked in the lottery range if they were playing at the NCAA instead of playing against actual pros.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,533
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:38 pm

Troubadour wrote:Who are the players projected to go in the second round or undrafted that you hope land on your team?

My three are:
- Neemias Queta
- Joel Ayayi
- JT Thor

For Queta, to be as skilled a passer at his size is special. Add his improved shooting from the line and in the midrange and you have a potential rotation big for a long time. He is one of the most productive players in CBB this year and that size and shot blocking is hard to teach.

Ayayi, to me, is a superstar role player. Makes very few mistakes while spacing the floor, finishing at the basket, and serving as a secondary/tertiary playmaker. A lot to like in his game.

JT Thor is the biggest project of these three, but has a fascinating game. At 6'10", he has the size to guard bigger players and he is still quick enough to eventually hold his own in switching situations. He has shown flashes of an off the dribble game, but he doesn't appear strong enough to get all the way to the rim just yet. I'd love to get him in the G League for a year or two to really refine his game and at 19 years old, there's plenty of time to work with him.

In the same way you have Juzang as a mid 2nd round prospect you now have Ayayi as a 2nd rounder...
your bar is too high and or you are vastly overrating other options in this draft.
I would not hesitate to pick Ayayi at 12
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Fischella wrote "There are easily 40-50 dudes with higher ceilings than Juzang in this class"
Mickey8
Starter
Posts: 2,457
And1: 1,590
Joined: Jan 21, 2017

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#6 » by Mickey8 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:40 pm

Filip Petrusev, NBA ready player :wink:
treefi
Analyst
Posts: 3,147
And1: 641
Joined: Jul 11, 2002
Contact:

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#7 » by treefi » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:49 pm

top 20
PG Jaden Springer
PG Davion Mitchell
SG - Johnny Juzang
PG - Josh Giddey
early 2nd
C - Neemas Queta
SG - Josh Christopher
PF- Isaiah Todd
PF - Santa Aldama
SF - Julian Champagnie
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,533
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:48 pm

treefi wrote:top 20
PG Jaden Springer
PG Davion Mitchell
SG - Johnny Juzang
PG - Josh Giddey
early 2nd
C - Neemas Queta
SG - Josh Christopher
PF- Isaiah Todd
PF - Santa Aldama
SF - Julian Champagnie

I like Christopher and Isaiah Todd as mid-late first myself by the time the predraft process is complete
but yeah both would be great value early 2nd if they fall.
I don't know about Queta at this point or if he should even get drafted. I liked him last year when
I gave him more of a pass.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Fischella wrote "There are easily 40-50 dudes with higher ceilings than Juzang in this class"
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,873
And1: 3,463
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#9 » by Fischella » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:22 am

Mickey8 wrote:Filip Petrusev, NBA ready player :wink:

Petrusev is the opposite of a sleeper

Yoan Makoundou is my guy, I think Mathurin, Trey Murphy, Kessler Edwards, Sam Hauser and Gabriele Procida are very slept on as well
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,873
And1: 3,463
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#10 » by Fischella » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:22 am

treefi wrote:top 20
PG Jaden Springer
PG Davion Mitchell
SG - Johnny Juzang
PG - Josh Giddey
early 2nd
C - Neemas Queta
SG - Josh Christopher
PF- Isaiah Todd
PF - Santa Aldama
SF - Julian Champagnie

How are any of these guys, outside of maybe Aldama and Champagnie, sleepers at all? :lol:
User avatar
BoyzNTheHood
Analyst
Posts: 3,165
And1: 3,619
Joined: Apr 19, 2015

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#11 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:13 pm

I really like Raiquan Gray as a super glue big man at the next level.

I'm also intrigued by Nah'Shon Hyland's scoring potential with NBA spacing and can see him as a 6th man.

Herbert Jones projects as a Corey Brewer type in my opinion.

And I also think Charles Bassey is ranked too low, he looks like a solid big along with Queta.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 47,908
And1: 54,358
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:24 pm

some of these guys you dudes listed definitely dont qualify as 'sleepers' lol

for me it's more names like Wieskamp, Champagnies, Kinsey, Cazalon, Makoundou, Liddell, Boeheim
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Almost Retired
Sophomore
Posts: 177
And1: 98
Joined: Oct 07, 2020
       

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#13 » by Almost Retired » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:33 pm

Fischella wrote:
treefi wrote:top 20
PG Jaden Springer
PG Davion Mitchell
SG - Johnny Juzang
PG - Josh Giddey
early 2nd
C - Neemas Queta
SG - Josh Christopher
PF- Isaiah Todd
PF - Santa Aldama
SF - Julian Champagnie

How are any of these guys, outside of maybe Aldama and Champagnie, sleepers at all? :lol:


I looked at some old 2021 Mock Draft lists. Johnny Juzang wasn't even on most of the ones I saw. One tournament run later and he's likely now a late lottery pick. I wish my Bulls had a First Rounder, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Very elite shooter that is developing a nice all around game. But he's no longer a sleeper after his performance.]

Two guys that will go in the mid to late second round or go undrafted that I'd be interested to evaluate are Chris Duarte of Oregon and Dejon Jarreau of Houston. Duarte is older but has a wide ranging skill set that could translate into being a solid rotational wing. And Jarreau is a defensive beast at PG with good length and a high BBIQ. He was the real leader of that tough Houston squad that had a great run until they met the Baylor Buzz Saw. They are both sleepers.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,773
And1: 1,215
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:58 pm

Ayayi reminds me of Caris LeVert without as much passing ability. He has that great first step and slides through the defense on drives.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,642
And1: 559
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#15 » by jman3134 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:some of these guys you dudes listed definitely dont qualify as 'sleepers' lol

for me it's more names like Wieskamp, Champagnies, Kinsey, Cazalon, Makoundou, Liddell, Boeheim

Unfortunately Kinsey is coming back I saw.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 47,908
And1: 54,358
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#16 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:11 pm

jman3134 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:some of these guys you dudes listed definitely dont qualify as 'sleepers' lol

for me it's more names like Wieskamp, Champagnies, Kinsey, Cazalon, Makoundou, Liddell, Boeheim

Unfortunately Kinsey is coming back I saw.


you're right, completely missed that.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 20,584
And1: 7,158
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:03 am

Not sure it counts, but I'd say Keyontae Johnson if he's medically able to play in the NBA. Elite athlete, decent three point shooter, very good rebounder. His stock has obviously fallen because of the medical issue, but I feel like it has fallen too far. He was looking like a late lottery pick, so I'd be ecstatic if I had a late first and could grab him.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,642
And1: 559
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#18 » by jman3134 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:08 am

clyde21 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:some of these guys you dudes listed definitely dont qualify as 'sleepers' lol

for me it's more names like Wieskamp, Champagnies, Kinsey, Cazalon, Makoundou, Liddell, Boeheim

Unfortunately Kinsey is coming back I saw.


you're right, completely missed that.


Def wasn't on major headlines - just adding another to list of returnees.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 14,640
And1: 3,533
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:33 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Ayayi reminds me of Caris LeVert without as much passing ability. He has that great first step and slides through the defense on drives.

I bet he gets mixed reviews from scouts with his hot or cold output. Seems like he needs a lot of development but the tools are evident. I like him late lottery to late teens if he can clean up some of the question marks about durability and transferability to the NBA game if not late first seems about most likely result.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Fischella wrote "There are easily 40-50 dudes with higher ceilings than Juzang in this class"
Jerry Lucas
Ballboy
Posts: 35
And1: 29
Joined: Apr 01, 2021
     

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Sleepers 

Post#20 » by Jerry Lucas » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:43 pm

To me it's Tre Mann by a landslide. I haven't seen this guy ranked higher than late lottery and he's 5th on my draft board.
Team Find The Next Closer

Tre Mann should be a Top 5 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Return to NBA Draft