Chet Holmgren - Gonzaga

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Re: Chet Holmgren - Gonzaga 

Post#161 » by Big J » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:46 am

namlede wrote:Chet is my #1 but I disagree with those who think he will be a superstar. I actually think his upside is not as high as others.

his strength is a concern no doubt but nobody talks about his other glaring weakness......

he has slow movements. his shot is slow, his passing is slow, he is coordinated and fluid but his first step is slow. defensively reacting to the ball he is fast, but on offense it looks like he has to think a second longer than others.

I still think he will be a great connecting player on offense and a great rim protector. but he will be average defending on the perimeter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

Yea, he's not going to be playable at the end of games in the playoffs when bigs get hunted. People can get angry about this all they want, but it's the truth. His foot speed is not going to get any faster.
bucknut
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#162 » by bucknut » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:11 am

Does Chet have the postgame if a defense goes small and doesn't put a classic slower center on him ?? ......with his light weight, why is he advantageous at center when there won't be a matchup advantage ?.....only unique thing about this guy is his ability to put the ball down and dribble - well what if that is negated by a smaller 4 ?

He's not siakem when he puts the ball down drive wise.
He's not Dirk fadeaways
He's not KD on the move pull up J's.

He's not really a natural scorer of the ball.......he's got some spin move he does driving that may not work in the league.

If he doesn't have a postgame I'd rather take brook lopez or zach collins all day then this guy.

Bol Bol dribbles pretty darn well too.....maybe with time he can develop some of the dirk and KD mid range stuff and differentiate him from the classic 3 and D guys.

To me his closest comp right now is Jaren Jackson Jr but with more upside, blocker, 3 guy, some mobility....mid range fadeaways and J's determine his ceiling.

Plus he doesn't look like he's got an aggressive alpha attitude and he's a white american born player - haven't seen a great one since Bird and a ton of busts ....I don't see great success for this dude.
bucknut
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#163 » by bucknut » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:17 am

bucknut wrote:Does Chet have the postgame if a defense goes small and doesn't put a classic slower center on him ?? ......with his light weight, why is he advantageous at center when there won't be a matchup advantage ?.....only unique thing about this guy is his ability to put the ball down and dribble - well what if that is negated by a smaller 4 ?

He's not siakem when he puts the ball down drive wise.
He's not Dirk fadeaways
He's not KD on the move pull up J's.
I haven't even seen Porzingis like post game on highlights - just see no post scores

He's not really a natural scorer of the ball.......he's got some spin move he does driving that may not work in the league.

If he doesn't have a postgame I'd rather take brook lopez or zach collins all day then this guy.

Bol Bol dribbles pretty darn well too.....maybe with time he can develop some of the dirk and KD mid range stuff and differentiate him from the classic 3 and D guys.

To me his closest comp right now is Jaren Jackson Jr but with more upside, blocker, 3 guy, some mobility....mid range fadeaways and J's determine his ceiling.

Plus he doesn't look like he's got an aggressive alpha attitude and he's a white american born player - haven't seen a great one since Bird and a ton of busts ....I don't see star level success for this dude.
Big J
General Manager

Post#164 » by Big J » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 pm

Anyone else think it's a bit of a red flag that Chet is so old? He's older than Kuminga & Moody and a bunch of other guys that were drafted last year.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#165 » by CptCrunch » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:32 pm

Big J wrote:Anyone else think it's a bit of a red flag that Chet is so old? He's older than Kuminga & Moody and a bunch of other guys that were drafted last year.

Don't look at TyTy the freshman, he'll scare you.

It's a minus but his skill combo is unique so you can't just draft Ched "same archtype but younger" Holdthem instead.
Big J
General Manager

Post#166 » by Big J » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:43 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
Big J wrote:Anyone else think it's a bit of a red flag that Chet is so old? He's older than Kuminga & Moody and a bunch of other guys that were drafted last year.

It's a minus but his skill combo is unique so you can't just draft Ched "same archtype but younger" Holdthem instead.

Seems like anyone worth their salt would reclassify so they can get to their 2nd contract as fast as possible.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#167 » by CptCrunch » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:48 pm

Big J wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:

Seems like anyone worth their salt would reclassify so they can get to their 2nd contract as fast as possible.

Reclassifying is only a feasible option for kids who go to semi-sham schools like Sharpe. Reclassifying essential means skipping a grade because the required coursework has been completed ahead of time. You know the opposite of being held back for being dumb.

Most NBA prospects go to real actual high schools, not Christian basketball academies.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#168 » by SelfishPlayer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:59 am

CptCrunch wrote:
Big J wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:

Reclassifying is only a feasible option for kids who go to semi-sham schools like Sharpe. Reclassifying essential means skipping a grade because the required coursework has been completed ahead of time. You know the opposite of being held back for being dumb.

Most NBA prospects go to real actual high schools, not Christian basketball academies.

"Reclassifying" frequently means "undoing" what has already strategically been done. Most prospects have already engaged in being "held back" before they ever reach a college campus. The goal before reclassification was for the prospect to be 19 years of age or greater during the vast majority of his final basketball season before entering the draft. Some guys change their minds and "reclassify."
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#169 » by CptCrunch » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:45 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
Big J wrote:

"Reclassifying" frequently means "undoing" what has already strategically been done. Most prospects have already engaged in being "held back" before they ever reach a college campus. The goal before reclassification was for the prospect to be 19 years of age or greater during the vast majority of his final basketball season before entering the draft. Some guys change their minds and "reclassify."

I mean yes being held back for basketball (aka academics is a second thought, high school classes basically as shams) is only reserved for a subset of students from a subset of schools (like Gradey Dick of Sunrise Christian Academy and all the kids from Montverde Academy, they are playing basketball while pretending to be in school) . A lot of kids from regular urban/suburban schools (like Nick Smith of North Little Rock High School) do not have handlers who strategically hold them back and then reclassify for double gains.

What you are describing is procedural. Behind those procedural layers, there is a component of high school transactional academics. Classes have to be completed for the sake of NCAA/college.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#170 » by SelfishPlayer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:15 am

CptCrunch wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:

I mean yes being held back for basketball (aka academics is a second thought, high school classes basically as shams) is only reserved for a subset of students from a subset of schools (like Gradey Dick of Sunrise Christian Academy and all the kids from Montverde Academy, they are playing basketball while pretending to be in school) . A lot of kids from regular urban/suburban schools (like Nick Smith of North Little Rock High School) do not have handlers who strategically hold them back and then reclassify for double gains.

What you are describing is procedural. Behind those procedural layers, there is a component of high school transactional academics. Classes have to be completed for the sake of NCAA/college.

Shaedon Sharpe is the first case I've seen of a hold back reclassifying and actually sitting out an entire basketball season before entering the draft. So he was a potential hold back reclassified into a "held out/hold out." If he represents the first time this has happened and gets drafted high in the lottery, this will become a thing, especially if he does well in the NBA.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#171 » by SNPA » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:09 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Shaedon Sharpe is the first case I've seen of a hold back reclassifying and actually sitting out an entire basketball season before entering the draft. So he was a potential hold back reclassified into a "held out/hold out." If he represents the first time this has happened and gets drafted high in the lottery, this will become a thing, especially if he does well in the NBA.

Agreed. I see a future where number one ranked high school prospects shut it down and wait for the draft. Why risk college or the GLeague if you’ll go top ten anyways.
Big J
General Manager

Post#172 » by Big J » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:02 pm

SNPA wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:

Agreed. I see a future where number one ranked high school prospects shut it down and wait for the draft. Why risk college or the GLeague if you’ll go top ten anyways.

What about NIL though. Can’t really make any money with that if you’re not playing.

Return to NBA Draft