Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Re-Assessing the 2019 Draft 

Post#41 » by Marcus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:quick shout out to Naz Reid btw who I completely forgot, not sure where he'd go but second season he's averaging 21/9/2/2 per 36, good efficiency, hitting 35% of his 3s...as a big that's huge, he might get a big(ish) contract relatively soon with that skill set

really the depth in this class is turning out to be bonkers.

Never understood why he wasn't drafted to begin with
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#42 » by Marcus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:56 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think its still a bit early but some are obviously developing faster than others...
example I think the jury is still way out on Sekou who hasnt had a real pg and is in a giant dumpster fire

Slight dredge up of an old post but I'm curious as to why guys like Saddiq Bey and Isaiah Stewart can develop and play well in this so-called "dumpster fire" but Sekou can't?

had a similar question. with the situation being what it was in Detroit once they were able to move Rose and Griffin i didn't understand how Sekou got zero playing time with all the youth they were throwing out there on the court.

Jerami Grant getting his Dan Granger on, two rookie PGs, the Jackson's reclaiming their NBA careers, DSJ and Okafor staking their claim for the "I told you so" award, Stewart, Bey, and some vets collecting checks, just seemed like Sekou could have fit in there somewhere. Wouldn't think he would be considered more of a developmental project than Diallo.

Am i missing something?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#43 » by OhCanada1091 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 am

Everyone here has Hunter way too high. Hunter has had 2 meniscus tears now in different knees. Thats like having 2 flat tires on a bike.

1 Zion Williamson
2 Ja Morant
3 RJ Barrett
4 Darius Garland
5 Tyler Herro
6 PJ Washington
7 Keldon Johnson
8 Rui Hachimora
9 Deandre Hunter
10 Lou Dort
11 Brandon Clarke
12 NAW
13 Terrence Mann
14 Matisse Thybulle
15 Cam Johnson
16 Kevin Porter Jr.
17 Darius Bazley
18 Luka Samanic
19 Daniel Gafford
20 Nicolas Claxton
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#44 » by OhCanada1091 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:11 am

CptCrunch wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Right now if I had to guess how the class pans out:

Super Stars
1. Zion
-----------

All Stars
2. Barrett
3. Morant
4. Garland

-----------

Good starters with all star upside if things break right
5. Hunter
6. Herro
7. Keldon
8. Washington
9. Rui

-----------
Guys who are either big risks w/ real upside or solid rotation guys w/ low risk

10. Clarke
11. Tybull
12. Dort
13. Tucker
14. Claxton
15. Johnson
16. NAW
17. Bol
18. Hayes
19. Porter Jr
20. Bazley

I literally cannot believe some of you still list Reddish as a top-20 guy. He didnt have a pulse in college, he didnt have a pulse as a rookie, and hes only getting worse. How much more proof do we need that hes awful at basketball.

He is still 21. The worst case scenario is that he fully figures it out after 5 years and becomes a role/bench player for someone. That level of pure shooting in the gym, silky shot, smooth athleticism is simply too good to amount to nothing.

He won't even be in the league in 5 years unless he fixes it quick. Atlanta made a huge leap, their players are developing well while Reddish is digressing. No good. Your probably high on Ziare Williams and Brandon Boston as well.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#45 » by TB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:01 am

Jordan Poole understandably wasn't on any of these lists halfway through his 2nd season, but he came on seriously strong after the G-League bubble to the point that he was Warriors only reliable scorer after Steph and Wiggins. I'd say he's a top 20 guy from this draft and projects to be a solid rotation player.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:15 am

Marcus wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think its still a bit early but some are obviously developing faster than others...
example I think the jury is still way out on Sekou who hasnt had a real pg and is in a giant dumpster fire

Slight dredge up of an old post but I'm curious as to why guys like Saddiq Bey and Isaiah Stewart can develop and play well in this so-called "dumpster fire" but Sekou can't?

had a similar question. with the situation being what it was in Detroit once they were able to move Rose and Griffin i didn't understand how Sekou got zero playing time with all the youth they were throwing out there on the court.

Jerami Grant getting his Dan Granger on, two rookie PGs, the Jackson's reclaiming their NBA careers, DSJ and Okafor staking their claim for the "I told you so" award, Stewart, Bey, and some vets collecting checks, just seemed like Sekou could have fit in there somewhere. Wouldn't think he would be considered more of a developmental project than Diallo.

Am i missing something?

I mean Grant is probably the main reason for the lack of playing time, but that is what I mean with Detroit not developing projects the right way. sitting never develops anyone
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#47 » by Mr Peanut » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 am

Stillwater wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Am i missing something?

I mean Grant is probably the main reason for the lack of playing time, but that is what I mean with Detroit not developing projects the right way. sitting never develops anyone

I'm not sure you watched our games, but to be honest I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

Sekou was largely terrible. Casey did only play him 13-14 MPG for the first couple of months of the season but this wouldn't be considered unexpected for a 20 year old project. Not to mention Blake was still logging decent minutes for the team at that stage. Later on he was getting outplayed by our 10 day contract player Tyler Cook so started to lose his place in the rotation. However, he did play 28 MPG over the last 8 games of the season but didn't blow anyone away.

In contrast though, young players that were given decent minutes and made strides during the season included Isaiah Stewart (who any Pistons fan will tell you was noticeably better by the end of the season compared to the start), Saddiq Bey (was more of a polished college prospect coming into the league but still continued to develop), Saben Lee, Frank Jackson, hell even Dennis Smith Jr (before he got injured).

So once again, not sure where this "Detroit not developing projects the right way" narrative comes from. Maybe true during the SVG tenure but that was a few years ago now.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#48 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Am i missing something?

I'm not sure you watched our games, but to be honest I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

Sekou was largely terrible. Casey did only play him 13-14 MPG for the first couple of months of the season but this wouldn't be considered unexpected for a 20 year old project. Not to mention Blake was still logging decent minutes for the team at that stage. Later on he was getting outplayed by our 10 day contract player Tyler Cook so started to lose his place in the rotation. However, he did play 28 MPG over the last 8 games of the season but didn't blow anyone away.

In contrast though, young players that were given decent minutes and made strides during the season included Isaiah Stewart (who any Pistons fan will tell you was noticeably better by the end of the season compared to the start), Saddiq Bey (was more of a polished college prospect coming into the league but still continued to develop), Saben Lee, Frank Jackson, hell even Dennis Smith Jr (before he got injured).

So once again, not sure where this "Detroit not developing projects the right way" narrative comes from. Maybe true during the SVG tenure but that was a few years ago now.

CLE will take him off your hands for a 2nd rounder if he is that bad then...lol.
I would say an offseason in the gym with Hayes and maybe he turns it around but I dont have any confidence in most nba orgs being willing to play projects if there is someone better available and that is the problem with drafting projects and not playing them a lot etc. He can shoot it, he is athletic as hell and he is raw as a player and needs to play to learn simple stuff. if you dont play the raw project he will fade away and be a bust or a reclamation player elsewhere. Send him to Houston I bet he shows up and plays.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,454

Post#49 » by Ball4life32 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:10 am

OhCanada1091 wrote:Everyone here has Hunter way too high. Hunter has had 2 meniscus tears now in different knees. Thats like having 2 flat tires on a bike.

1 Zion Williamson
2 Ja Morant
3 RJ Barrett
4 Darius Garland
5 Tyler Herro
6 PJ Washington
7 Keldon Johnson
8 Rui Hachimora
9 Deandre Hunter
10 Lou Dort
11 Brandon Clarke
12 NAW
13 Terrence Mann
14 Matisse Thybulle
15 Cam Johnson
16 Kevin Porter Jr.
17 Darius Bazley
18 Luka Samanic
19 Daniel Gafford
20 Nicolas Claxton

But it wasn’t different knees…he’s having surgery on the right knee again.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#50 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 pm

I see everyone is sleeping on Okeke (again).
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#51 » by big-shot-ROB » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:23 pm

Bumping this because it marks the 4 year anniverary of the draft and we can evaluate what happened to the first round picks in it:

1 Zion Williamson - 2nd contract
2 Ja Morant - 2nd contract
3 RJ Barrett - 2nd contract
4 De'Andre Hunter - 2nd contract
5 Darius Garland - 2nd contract
6 Jarrett Culver - G-league, 3 teams already
7 Coby White - RFA
8 Jaxson Hayes - UFA
9 Rui Hachimura - RFA
10 Cam Reddish - UFA
11 Cameron Johnson - RFA
12 P.J. Washington - RFA
13 Tyler Herro - 2nd contract
14 Romeo Langford - UFA
15 Sekou Doumbouya - G-league, 2 teams already
16 Chuma Okeke - Team option picked
17 Nickeil Alexander-Walker - UFA
18 Goga Bitadze - waived, signed with Magic
19 Luka Šamanić - waived, signed with Jazz
20 Matisse Thybulle - RFA
21 Brandon Clarke - 2nd contract
22 Grant Williams - RFA
23 Darius Bazley -UFA
24 Ty Jerome - G-league, 3 teams already
25 Nassir Little- 2nd contract
26 Dylan Windler - UFA
27 Mfiondu Kabengele - G-league, 3 teams already
28 Jordan Poole - 2nd contract, traded immediately before contract kicks in
29 Keldon Johnson - 2nd contract
30 Kevin Porter Jr. - 2nd contract

Really paints a picture for the incoming class and the class next year and overall expectations of draft picks.
- Only 10/30 players with second contracts surving their rookie one
- Only 6/10 players with teams not openly regretting the contract (Herro, Poole, KPJ)
- 3 top-10 picks on his way out of the league
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#52 » by EvanZ » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:45 pm

Not a great draft

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HadAnEffectHere
Rookie
And1: 577

Post#53 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Jul 1, 2023 11:53 pm

This is a really hard draft to evaluate because Zion and Morant have absurd potential, but Zion doesn't work hard and Morant is an alcoholic who thinks he's hard.

Garland is the only obviously and consistently helpful player drafted in the entire first round.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#54 » by EvanZ » Sun Jul 2, 2023 12:51 am

Claxton should have been a first round pick pretty easily. I had him at 14.

Saints14
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#55 » by Saints14 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 3:03 pm

Is it crazy to say that Cam Johnson would go 5th in a redraft? He fits a much better archetype for a contender than Herro or Poole and has already provided a ton of surplus value on his rookie deal. Hell I might even take him over Barrett, who even if he turns out better has significant ground to make up in terms of value provided already and likely doesn't have much all-star equity left. It honestly is one of the more impressive draft picks I can remember in terms of bucking consensus and absolutely nailing the pick for where they were drafting (they of course blew it the next year taking Jalen Smith instead of Haliburton, but I digress)
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,059

Post#56 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Jul 2, 2023 11:58 pm

Saints14 wrote:Is it crazy to say that Cam Johnson would go 5th in a redraft? He fits a much better archetype for a contender than Herro or Poole and has already provided a ton of surplus value on his rookie deal. Hell I might even take him over Barrett, who even if he turns out better has significant ground to make up in terms of value provided already and likely doesn't have much all-star equity left. It honestly is one of the more impressive draft picks I can remember in terms of bucking consensus and absolutely nailing the pick for where they were drafting (they of course blew it the next year taking Jalen Smith instead of Haliburton, but I digress)

It's why the low grades on draft night never made sense to me. Just sheep mentality.

The history of the draft in terms of which draft picks pan out repeatedly proves consensus wrong so you'd think there would be more open-mindedness to draft selections that break away from consensus, especially in the later stages of the lottery. However, it is by default met with derision.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#57 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:48 am

If the grades were wrong you should hold them to account!

Return to NBA Draft