Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Re: Paolo Banchero 

Post#201 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:28 am

Banchero having a bad handle just doesn’t seem like a good take to me

I feel like offensive skills are generally graded relative to a players size/position. Banchero is a plus ball handler and playmaker at his size IMO. He is also more skilled than Randle was at the same age.

I really don’t have many concerns about Banchero’s offensive game. He looks like a legit 3 level scoring PF with play making ability. His defense is what could end up limiting his upside to me
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,718

Post#202 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:40 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:Banchero having a bad handle just doesn’t seem like a good take to me

I feel like offensive skills are generally graded relative to a players size/position. Banchero is a plus ball handler and playmaker at his size IMO. He is also more skilled than Randle was at the same age.

I really don’t have many concerns about Banchero’s offensive game. He looks like a legit 3 level scoring PF with play making ability. His defense is what could end up limiting his upside to me

I mean it all depends on what position and role people are expecting Paolo to have.

If we are comparing Paolo to just any average 4, ya his handle is fine. But if we are talking about Paolo being a perimeter playmaking 4, then no his handle isnt good. He has no dynamic moves, whenever he tries to do anything dynamic with his handle he ends up getting it poked away or just flat out loses the handle. I know the Gonzaga game there were a couple flashes, but either than that its mostly been far more negatives than positive flashes when it comes to him having a dynamic handle.

Again if we are strictly talking about his handle as a strict positional 4 man and having the ability to face up his man 15-18ft from the basket and do a couple power dribbles to get to the basket, ya he can do that, especially with his good footwork within that zone. But that isnt really a skillset that I think needs to get talked about because that is a basic expected skill set (either than the footwork, but like Ive said before, that is one of his positives).

But again for everyone saying he has a great handle, please Im more than willing to admit Im wrong if people can show me the proof. But I have yet to see it.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#203 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:23 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:Banchero having a bad handle just doesn’t seem like a good take to me

I mean it all depends on what position and role people are expecting Paolo to have.

If we are comparing Paolo to just any average 4, ya his handle is fine. But if we are talking about Paolo being a perimeter playmaking 4, then no his handle isnt good. He has no dynamic moves, whenever he tries to do anything dynamic with his handle he ends up getting it poked away or just flat out loses the handle. I know the Gonzaga game there were a couple flashes, but either than that its mostly been far more negatives than positive flashes when it comes to him having a dynamic handle.

Again if we are strictly talking about his handle as a strict positional 4 man and having the ability to face up his man 15-18ft from the basket and do a couple power dribbles to get to the basket, ya he can do that, especially with his good footwork within that zone. But that isnt really a skillset that I think needs to get talked about because that is a basic expected skill set (either than the footwork, but like Ive said before, that is one of his positives).

But again for everyone saying he has a great handle, please Im more than willing to admit Im wrong if people can show me the proof. But I have yet to see it.

he's 6'9" (maybe more) and a true 3/4. For that he does have a great handle if we're comparing him to pretty much any other 4 in the league let alone freshmen his size playing in college over the years. His handle is good enough where he can go coast to coast, run the PnR and take guys who will be guarding him, off the dribble. I'm not sure what you define as a good handle if you can't see the ease and comfort he exhibits dribbling the ball. He goes between the legs, behind he back, spins, and uses either hand. I mean, who at his size has his handle? Lebron? Okay. So he's not quite as good as Lebron? And he just turned 19 y/o. It's only going to get better. He's got years to develop more ISO moves and it's not like he's getting so many opportunities at Duke. There's a clogged lane waiting for him and because he has such a size advantage he's using that more than breaking guys down off the dribble.

This is a really bad take. I think maybe his size is deceptive or you view him as a 3 or something. His handle is literally on display every single game so asking for "proof" is head-scratching. BTW, he's a better passer than he is a dribbler. Elite potential there. I honestly can't think of a better NBA prospect out of Duke tbh. Right up there with Zion and Hill and better than Tatum and Kyrie.

It's baffling how so many can't see it or have Smith over him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#204 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

he's 6'9" (maybe more) and a true 3/4. For that he does have a great handle if we're comparing him to pretty much any other 4 in the league let alone freshmen his size playing in college over the years. His handle is good enough where he can go coast to coast, run the PnR and take guys who will be guarding him, off the dribble. I'm not sure what you define as a good handle if you can't see the ease and comfort he exhibits dribbling the ball. He goes between the legs, behind he back, spins, and uses either hand. I mean, who at his size has his handle? Lebron? Okay. So he's not quite as good as Lebron? And he just turned 19 y/o. It's only going to get better. He's got years to develop more ISO moves and it's not like he's getting so many opportunities at Duke. There's a clogged lane waiting for him and because he has such a size advantage he's using that more than breaking guys down off the dribble.

This is a really bad take. I think maybe his size is deceptive or you view him as a 3 or something. His handle is literally on display every single game so asking for "proof" is head-scratching. BTW, he's a better passer than he is a dribbler. Elite potential there. I honestly can't think of a better NBA prospect out of Duke tbh. Right up there with Zion and Hill and better than Tatum and Kyrie.

It's baffling how so many can't see it or have Smith over him.

Haha I like how my take is called bad while you call him a 3/4. There is nothing about Paola’s game that is a 3 in college or the NBA.

And that’s exactly my point, if you view him as a 3 in the NBA, his handle is definitely not a strength.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#205 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:51 pm

we can pick him apart until we're blue in the face, but the fact is, dude is just damn good at basketball. and his ballhandling is fine for a 6'10" 250 lb 19 year old. yeah, he made some mistakes with his ballhandling, but those were mostly just poor decisions - needs to get smarter, pick his spots - not so much directly his handle. and again, as far as the decision making, most freshmen are idiots ont he basketball floor. duke4life, being a duke fan is nitpicking - not saying he's wrong about anything - but Banchero just goes out and produces every freaking game and is pretty much always the best player on the floor.

does he need to improve his shot? yes
does he need to improve his ballhandling? yes
does he need to improve his decision making? yes
does he need to be more aggressive? yes
does he need to improve his defense? absolutely

dude is freaking 19. you can nitpick any 19 year old on these things - they all need to improve in these areas and more.

does the dude produce and is he efficient on the basketball court. yes. yes, indeed.

18, 8 and 3 on 60% TS in the ACC (is there a major college frosh who can top these numbers). Just turned 19. Plus athlete and very good size for his position. that's why you take him #1 overall.

you can overthink by picking out his warts, but at the end of the story he's just really good at basketball already at a young age and has solid measurables for the league.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#206 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:we can pick him apart until we're blue in the face, but the fact is, dude is just damn good at basketball. and his ballhandling is fine for a 6'10" 250 lb 19 year old. yeah, he made some mistakes with his ballhandling, but those were mostly just poor decisions - needs to get smarter, pick his spots - not so much directly his handle. and again, as far as the decision making, most freshmen are idiots ont he basketball floor. duke4life, being a duke fan is nitpicking - not saying he's wrong about anything - but Banchero just goes out and produces every freaking game and is pretty much always the best player on the floor.

dude is freaking 19. you can nitpick any 19 year old on these things - they all need to improve in these areas and more.

does the dude produce and is he efficient on the basketball court. yes. yes, indeed.

18, 8 and 3 on 60% TS in the ACC (is there a major college frosh who can top these numbers). Just turned 19. Plus athlete and very good size for his position. that's why you take him #1 overall.

you can overthink by picking out his warts, but at the end of the story he's just really good at basketball already at a young age and has solid measurables for the league.

I don’t think it’s nitpicking, I think it’s pushing back on bad takes from people that haven’t watched too much of him.

Again I’m not even low on the guy, I enjoy watching him at Duke and I have him #2 right now (3 once Sharpe officially announces).

Literally all I’m doing is I see someone say something like “Paolo has a great handle” and all I’m doing is responding with “based on what?”

Or he’s a more advanced Tatum and he’s a 3/4. Ya I push back on that because it doesn’t make sense.

I think I’m pretty high on him honestly. I continually say I think he’s Julius Randle but smarter and plays better within the team. Randle was a 24/10/6 guy last year and made the all star team and all nba. I think that’s pretty high praise.

But ya even if someone is praising a player I also like but are saying what I think is a bad take, I’ll ask what they’re seeing which has lead them to that take.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,005

Post#207 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:47 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:we can pick him apart until we're blue in the face, but the fact is, dude is just damn good at basketball. and his ballhandling is fine for a 6'10" 250 lb 19 year old. yeah, he made some mistakes with his ballhandling, but those were mostly just poor decisions - needs to get smarter, pick his spots - not so much directly his handle. and again, as far as the decision making, most freshmen are idiots ont he basketball floor. duke4life, being a duke fan is nitpicking - not saying he's wrong about anything - but Banchero just goes out and produces every freaking game and is pretty much always the best player on the floor.

I don’t think it’s nitpicking, I think it’s pushing back on bad takes from people that haven’t watched too much of him.

Again I’m not even low on the guy, I enjoy watching him at Duke and I have him #2 right now (3 once Sharpe officially announces).

Literally all I’m doing is I see someone say something like “Paolo has a great handle” and all I’m doing is responding with “based on what?”

Or he’s a more advanced Tatum and he’s a 3/4. Ya I push back on that because it doesn’t make sense.

I think I’m pretty high on him honestly. I continually say I think he’s Julius Randle but smarter and plays better within the team. Randle was a 24/10/6 guy last year and made the all star team and all nba. I think that’s pretty high praise.

But ya even if someone is praising a player I also like but are saying what I think is a bad take, I’ll ask what they’re seeing which has lead them to that take.

How do you compare him to Kuminga?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,582

Post#208 » by MemphisX » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:57 am

Why do people think this guy is a 3 at all? In today's NBA, the means you think he will be able to regularly chase shooters through picks? I am not sure he can do that enough to play the 4 effectively.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#209 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:47 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Paolo and Kuminga?

Very different kind of players. Paolo is much more skill based. His game from 18ft in is as polished as you really get from a 19 year old 4. The face up jumper is smooth and solid, powerful enough to back his man down, while also being quick enough and having good enough foot work to finesse his way to the rim to either dunk it or use either hand to lay it up.

My biggest criticisms for Paola’s game come beyond the 18ft area. That’s where his game becomes very inconsistent. The form on the jumper becomes very inconsistent. Doesn’t really have a dynamic handle to consistently attack the basket from that far out.

Kuminga is just a different animal. The combination of size, strength, explosion, and first step is truly ridiculous. It’s legit freak tier. Kuminga basically gets everything based off of that. Now I’ve been a huge fan of Kuminga for a long time because on top of that, I like the foundation for his other skill sets. The jumper is slow and production is inconsistent. But there are no major problems with it, no weird arm angles or anything like that. And he has a solid power dribble. Nothing dynamic, but with his first step, it doesn’t need to be. Plus the defensive potential is through the roof. I mean hell last night Kuminga legit guarded 1-5 against Minnesota. Not just talking holding his ground on a switch. At one point of the game his designated man was Russell and at another point his designated man was KAT.

Paolo to me is the much safer pick. There is a very clear path for Paolo to be a Julius Randle kind of player (a better team oriented version). While Kuminga’s career path is much more vague and wide open.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,005

Post#210 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Paolo and Kuminga?

Very different kind of players. Paolo is much more skill based. His game from 18ft in is as polished as you really get from a 19 year old 4. The face up jumper is smooth and solid, powerful enough to back his man down, while also being quick enough and having good enough foot work to finesse his way to the rim to either dunk it or use either hand to lay it up.

My biggest criticisms for Paola’s game come beyond the 18ft area. That’s where his game becomes very inconsistent. The form on the jumper becomes very inconsistent. Doesn’t really have a dynamic handle to consistently attack the basket from that far out.

Kuminga is just a different animal. The combination of size, strength, explosion, and first step is truly ridiculous. It’s legit freak tier. Kuminga basically gets everything based off of that. Now I’ve been a huge fan of Kuminga for a long time because on top of that, I like the foundation for his other skill sets. The jumper is slow and production is inconsistent. But there are no major problems with it, no weird arm angles or anything like that. And he has a solid power dribble. Nothing dynamic, but with his first step, it doesn’t need to be. Plus the defensive potential is through the roof. I mean hell last night Kuminga legit guarded 1-5 against Minnesota. Not just talking holding his ground on a switch. At one point of the game his designated man was Russell and at another point his designated man was KAT.

Paolo to me is the much safer pick. There is a very clear path for Paolo to be a Julius Randle kind of player (a better team oriented version). While Kuminga’s career path is much more vague and wide open.

I ask for the comp because they both have excellent size for a wing and no doubt will match up against each other in the NBA for years to come. I also know you follow both.

Kuminga might take 3-4 years to develop into something but Paolo is probably who he is already and will take 3-4 years to be better at that.

Sounds like you think Paolo will likely be the better player but Kuminga has a chance to better.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#211 » by eminence » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm

Good prospect, but agreeing that his handle doesn't look like a standout skill.
I bought a boat.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,394

Post#212 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 pm

The comparison to Tatum just doesn't work.

Tatum's greatest attribute, his amazingly outstanding footwork, is what sets him apart from other players. I really think Tatum will soar once he matures just a little bit more and learns to get others involved by playmaking more and understanding that somehow doing less is doing more.

I fully expect that will happen over time, and that Tatum will be a fixture on All-NBA teams down the road. He has all the makings of an all-time, top 75 player.

As for Paolo, it's still too early to tell. I don't know if he has such high a floor. As others have said, his ballhandling, playmaking, defense, etc all have to improve a ton for him being considered a surefire All-Star caliber type of player. But that's to be expected as well, as he's still 19.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#213 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:48 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Paolo and Kuminga?

I ask for the comp because they both have excellent size for a wing and no doubt will match up against each other in the NBA for years to come. I also know you follow both.

Kuminga might take 3-4 years to develop into something but Paolo is probably who he is already and will take 3-4 years to be better at that.

Sounds like you think Paolo will likely be the better player but Kuminga has a chance to better.

Id take Kuminga over Paolo if I had the choice between them. Out of last year's draft and this year's draft, Id probably only take Mobley over Kuminga.

But to be fair I have always been very high on Kuminga and so far his rookie year has just made me dig my heels in even deeper in the Kuminga camp haha.

I do think Paolo is the safer pick, but I would take my chances on Kuminga figuring everything out. To me his potential is just too much to overlook.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#214 » by DCasey91 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:04 pm

Tatum was very polished in his College year, disregard raw stat counting. (Moreso than Smith Jr this year).

Because he isn’t quick his great footwork created his separation.

Anyways with Banch I like him but I wouldn’t take him number one. Randle is a good comp but once again Randle gets to the line. Poster on our board mentioned Harris, not quite but an in between version of Pistons Griffin/Harris is a fair summation.

I don’t rate Kuminga even a little bit lol yes he’s at the GSW which is probably one of the best environments to develop youngsters but he has the NFI’s big time before he got drafted like aptitude levels was off the mark.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,781

Post#215 » by Upperclass » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:09 pm

Kuminga is a far superior prospect imo. He has suddenness and natural IQ that Banchero just doesnt.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#216 » by DCasey91 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:19 pm

Natural IQ? Banch is better in that aspect for the game and there’s no questions about it. Kuminga was very dragable in the back half of his G League stint not because of young execution mistakes that all prospects do which comes from lack of experience it was because he made dumb head scratching attempts repeatedly that gets ironed out even in high school.
I don’t see that at all from Banch.

Kuminga’s IQ for the game is very questionable imo. I think he’s a bigger Kelly Oubre who was and still is a spaz just a high high end athlete.

The coach I saw 3 times over the course of two games wanting to cut his head off he was steaming, with Green it was more encouragement than anything else. I don’t see it with Kuminga but glad to eat humble pie.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#217 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 pm

Upperclass wrote:Kuminga is a far superior prospect imo. He has suddenness and natural IQ that Banchero just doesnt.

Im as big of a Kuminga fan as you'll find on here, I dont see Kuminga having a better natural BB IQ. Dont get me wrong, I dont think he is bad in that department, but I dont see how he is superior than Paolo in that department.

I think that is one of Paolo's strengths, especially on the offensive side.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,582

Post#218 » by MemphisX » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:59 am

The best thing about Kuminga is he can play either forward spot while being a plus defender (projecting). I am not sure Banchero will be a positive defender at any position. Do not think he offers much rim protection. He projects to be the kind of player that teams really struggle to build around. A player whose offense and draft position is too great to not give heavy minutes but their defense is not up to par and causes mucho losing.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#219 » by eminence » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:56 am

Banchero certainly isn't a 3. Heck, he's kinda big and slow by modern 4 standards. More of a 4/5 going forward.
I bought a boat.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,781

Post#220 » by Upperclass » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:26 am

Banchero knows basketball better because hes seemed to have played more basketball and been coached up more, but he doesnt seem to make off schedule plays well on offense or defense. He plays his role, is where hes suposed to be usually and is consistent;

Kuminga seems to anticipate extremely well on offense and defenese.. his skill just seems to be lacking to live up to what he seems to be thinking or seeing on the court.. He doesnt know how to play basketball.. but yet see's smaller parts of the game really well and the speed of the NBA hasnt overwhelmed him. Banchero reminds me of a young Jeff Green

Return to NBA Draft