2022 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Re: 2022 NBA Draft 

Post#901 » by babyjax13 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:28 am

Roger Murdock wrote:Any intriguing wings who can shoot that would fit with Cleveland? I'm assuming we pick somewhere between 11 and 22. We also have the Rockets and Spurs seconds for early R2.

Any names I should watch out for? We are pretty set at guard and big but badly need wing depth. We will also probably take a few stabs at upside guys if there's anyone intriguing.

Cavs are focusing a lot on culture too so guys with offcourt red flags I think we can say are no-go's.

Ousmane Dieng, Nikola Jovic, several other large wings who are hypothetically shooters (Caleb Houstan). Maybe Peyton Watson or Patrick Baldwin slip, probably other guys emerge.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,582

Post#902 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:54 am

So is Penny still the head coach of Memphis next season? He has no top 100 recruit coming in next year. He consistently under performs with good recruiting classes. The dude is such a trash coach, it’s actually kind of mind boggling.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#903 » by babyjax13 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:09 am

Duke4life831 wrote:So is Penny still the head coach of Memphis next season? He has no top 100 recruit coming in next year. He consistently under performs with good recruiting classes. The dude is such a trash coach, it’s actually kind of mind boggling.

I think he's still there. Plus, he will (likely) still have Emoni Bates next season. And there is something to be said for being as good at recruiting as he had. That said, if I were an NBA prospect I'd be going to Auburn or Gonzaga, or some other team that runs a modern system + develops players.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#904 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:18 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:So is Penny still the head coach of Memphis next season? He has no top 100 recruit coming in next year. He consistently under performs with good recruiting classes. The dude is such a trash coach, it’s actually kind of mind boggling.

I think he's still there. Plus, he will (likely) still have Emoni Bates next season. And there is something to be said for being as good at recruiting as he had. That said, if I were an NBA prospect I'd be going to Auburn or Gonzaga, or some other team that runs a modern system + develops players.

I believe most believe Emoni to go to the G League or at the minimum transfer. I don’t see him being back next year.

It doesn’t matter how good the recruiting classes are if they can’t even make the tournament from the AAC. Plus again I would hate to see how that team will look with no top 100 recruits on it.

Penny has no clue what he’s doing.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#905 » by babyjax13 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:19 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I believe most believe Emoni to go to the G League or at the minimum transfer. I don’t see him being back next year.

It doesn’t matter how good the recruiting classes are if they can’t even make the tournament from the AAC. Plus again I would hate to see how that team will look with no top 100 recruits on it.

Penny has no clue what he’s doing.

I'm not disagreeing that there is a huge issue there. If Bates leaves and the well dries up he will be gone.

JColl
CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Post#906 » by CBA » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:58 am

clyde21 wrote:
CBA wrote:Chet Holmgren’s advanced statistics are, uh, startling despite the small sample size and compare favorably to AD. It will be interesting to see if he keeps it up and if he can be neutralized by NBA size wings like his frame suggests.

If he can keep this pace and show flashes of dominating 6’6”-6’8” guys with size/length, I don’t really see how you don’t take him #1.

I’d like to see Chet’s non-Timme splits.

everyone's on Gonzaga always has ridiculous advanced metrics fyi, check out Brandon Clarke's, Few is running a machine over there

Huh? Clarke was a 22 year old senior. Chet is a 19 year old freshman.

Obviously a small sample size, but he’s currently sitting in the “can’t miss” tier with AD, KAT and Mobley.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#907 » by DCasey91 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:58 am

Roger Murdock wrote:Any intriguing wings who can shoot that would fit with Cleveland? I'm assuming we pick somewhere between 11 and 22. We also have the Rockets and Spurs seconds for early R2.

Any names I should watch out for? We are pretty set at guard and big but badly need wing depth. We will also probably take a few stabs at upside guys if there's anyone intriguing.

Cavs are focusing a lot on culture too so guys with offcourt red flags I think we can say are no-go's.

Murray
Griffin Jr if he drops
Dieng
Mathurin

Pass on Baldwin JR he isn’t a culture positive imo

All fine prospects. This draft is very much Wing/PF heavy so for the Cavs I’d do everything to move up a few places. Your using one pick anyway so it may as well be as high as you can get.

I’ve given up on my Sixers awhile ago, I watch you guys more often now like the Suns/Nuggets last season.

Mobility is special always tune in. And Garland I’ve rated as my MIP.

Sixers basketball causes health problems lol
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#908 » by babyjax13 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:44 am

DCasey91 wrote:

Murray
Griffin Jr if he drops
Dieng
Mathurin

All fine prospects. This draft is very much Wing/PF heavy so for the Cavs I’d do everything to move up a few places. Your using one pick anyway so it may as well be as high as you can get.

I’ve given up on my Sixers awhile ago, I watch you guys more often now like the Suns/Nuggets last season.

Does wanting to play a year for his dad before going pro make Baldwin a bad culture guy? I mean, it's not the best environment for his development or to evaluate his talent, but I don't think it speaks anything about his character or work ethic - probably just means he loves his dad.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#909 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:45 am

id be shocked if Griffin is a 1st rounder at this point unless something drastic happens to Duke's rotation or after the season
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#910 » by DCasey91 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:56 am

babyjax13 wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Murray
Griffin Jr if he drops
Dieng
Mathurin

Does wanting to play a year for his dad before going pro make Baldwin a bad culture guy? I mean, it's not the best environment for his development or to evaluate his talent, but I don't think it speaks anything about his character or work ethic - probably just means he loves his dad.

Seen him play? Jacking shots, not getting back on defense, there to be the guy when it’s for the team to be the best they can be. It’s showcasing and it’s not bringing back good results. Tread with caution
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,752

Post#911 » by LukaTheGOAT » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:56 am

I used to be such a big fan of Banchero but I believe his development has lead him to some really bad habits and him having general tunnel vision. If you saw him the summer going into his junior year, he looked like the type of big you could run offense through (Jokic or Towns type).
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#912 » by Hal14 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 3:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:id be shocked if Griffin is a 1st rounder at this point unless something drastic happens to Duke's rotation or after the season

it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. A few possibilities:

a) he starts getting more playing time, plays really well over the course of the rest of the season and is 1st round pick, maybe even lottery
b) he continues to get low mins and make low impact on the court. Declares for draft and goes 2nd round
c) he continues to get low mins and make low impact on the court. pulls his name out of the draft for this year because he's being projected to go so low - he tries to improve his stock and get drafted in 2023. Where does he play in 2022-2023? Either returns to Duke, transfers to a different big conference school or goes to G-League Ignite ..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#913 » by CptCrunch » Thu Dec 2, 2021 4:20 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Murray
Griffin Jr if he drops
Dieng
Mathurin

It absolutely does. It reflects badly on him or his dad. Choose one. One of them is to be blamed.

Playing lower level competition, receiving the same coaching he has received from his dad all his life all slows his development. Just playing under any other random college coach with a different system, philosophy or style will help him develop as a player. It's not like Sr is not gonna watch all his games and call him weekly to give him pointers.

If PBJ made the choice, he is dumb. If his dad made his choice, the man is selfish and potentially a bad hombre in PBJ's NBA circle.

This is all ignoring his putrid play. If he is playing with negative energy, you think other coaches are not gonna pull him? 33m mpg right now chucking shots at 30 something percent shooting? Are other players gonna complaint to the coach that his prodigal son is being a lazy crud?

Now let's circle back to coaching, Milwaukee sucks. Do we caulk this up to bad coaching (hence PBJ made a bad choice?) or do we caulk this up to a top 5 RSCI recruit doing jack crap in college because he is either bad or mailing it in on a bad team?

I literally fail to see an angle in which PBJ's choice to play for his dad is a positive.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,088

Post#914 » by The-Power » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:50 pm

Tari Eason from LSU is having himself a season so far. Does anybody else have him as a potential athletic defensive disruptor off the bench at the next level? I don't love his defensive fundamentals but he's clearly an impressive athlete in transition who gets his hands on a lot of balls on defense. He has Thybulle-level career stocks per 100.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#915 » by crows2 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:58 am

babyjax13 wrote:

Ousmane Dieng, Nikola Jovic, several other large wings who are hypothetically shooters (Caleb Houstan). Maybe Peyton Watson or Patrick Baldwin slip, probably other guys emerge.

If Watson slips from where? I wouldn’t think anyone has him top 10 at the moment.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#916 » by Hal14 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:14 am

crows2 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

If Watson slips from where? I wouldn’t think anyone has him top 10 at the moment.

lots of people still have him top 10. Not me, but other people do..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#917 » by MemphisX » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:04 am

Y'all really writing off prospects on December 1st? Yikes...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,088

Post#918 » by The-Power » Sat Dec 4, 2021 10:53 am

All right, I'm ready to put Ivey #1 on my big board. Not because he doesn't have flaws but I just don't see anyone with his upside in this class if he hits. Jabari would be 2nd for me. Then probably Banchero and Keegan for the time being. And then I'm really curious to see more of Chet, Hardy and Brown because they are really tough to project for me. As I wrote before, I don't think this shapes out to be an exciting draft class but the season is still long.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Post#919 » by yoyoboy » Sat Dec 4, 2021 1:16 pm

The-Power wrote:All right, I'm ready to put Ivey #1 on my big board. Not because he doesn't have flaws but I just don't see anyone with his upside in this class if he hits. Jabari would be 2nd for me. Then probably Banchero and Keegan for the time being. And then I'm really curious to see more of Chet, Hardy and Brown because they are really tough to project for me. As I wrote before, I don't think this shapes out to be an exciting draft class but the season is still long.

I’m there with you. I’m slightly lower on Jabari than I was earlier and Ivey has just moved up my board really quickly. Kid checks so many boxes for me. A little bummed we probably won’t have a chance to draft him because I’m not too excited by the SG and SF options later in the draft.

Paulo is really in the Jabari Parker mold for me. A better prospect but not by an overly significant amount. Chet’s frame is just too bad for me to have any confidence in his ability to play big in the NBA and he doesn’t have legit perimeter skills to play on the wing. Duren has always been way too raw and lacking in IQ for my taste. Hardy is a boring prospect and I have no clue why he’s projected to go as high as he is. I like Murray’s game but his age caps his realistic upside, and you’re likely looking at a high-level role player there. Jabari Smith is #2 for me, but even then, I’m not sure I necessarily see multi-All Star in his future. I’m just really not impressed by this draft class on the whole.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#920 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:23 pm

People need to explain to me why they see Duren as a top 10 player in this draft. I’m not even going to get into the whole value of that kind of player discussion again.

But I’m just talking straight up him as a player. I’ve watched all his games (currently watching the Ole Miss game) against power conference teams, for the majority of the games I forget he’s even on the court. He’s been a complete no show against actual competition.

He’s averaging 6 points and 6 rebounds in these games. He’s got 2 points and 3 boards with 16 minutes to go in this game.

And it’s not like we’re talking about elite competition either, just talking average power conference teams. I don’t think they’ve even played one ranked team yet.

Return to NBA Draft