Scottie Pippen Jr.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

knicksfan1984
Freshman
And1: 8

Scottie Pippen Jr. 

Post#1 » by knicksfan1984 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:05 pm

So, I really haven't seen his name pop up at all and I don't quite get why. I know people will probably knee jerk and say what little notoriety he has is due to his name, but I think Pippen would be a great value towards the end of the first and into the second round. Curious to see how tall he actually is...he could be anywhere from 6'0 to 6'3, which may explain his lack of notice.

But regardless of height, he's 20 years old, coming off a season in which he averaged 20.9 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.9 rpg, 1.8 spg, shot 35.8% from three and 85% from the line.

Statistically, he looks awfully similar to Kira Lewis who went 13th last year
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Re: Scottie Pippen Jr. 

Post#2 » by Charm » Thu May 20, 2021 2:45 pm

Point guard position is really deep this year, it seems. Cooper, McBride, Springer, Butler, and Pippen could all make the case that they're lottery-caliber talents hiding in plain sight. Seniors Carr and Alvarado are probably NBA-caliber prospects too. Pippen, for whatever reason, is the most overlooked of all. I don't get it.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#3 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:16 pm

Pippen is nothing especial. He is a second round talent but I could see him having a 10 year NBA career, being an okay back up or a #5 on a team like BJ Armstrong.

Because of his dad, he probably knows how to be a pro and what it takes to get ready for NBA games, how to handle the long down time in the NBA and how to spend the offseason improving.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#4 » by EvanZ » Thu May 20, 2021 4:24 pm

knicksfan1984 wrote:So, I really haven't seen his name pop up at all and I don't quite get why. I know people will probably knee jerk and say what little notoriety he has is due to his name, but I think Pippen would be a great value towards the end of the first and into the second round. Curious to see how tall he actually is...he could be anywhere from 6'0 to 6'3, which may explain his lack of notice.

But regardless of height, he's 20 years old, coming off a season in which he averaged 20.9 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.9 rpg, 1.8 spg, shot 35.8% from three and 85% from the line.

He's definitely closer to 6' than 6'3".
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#5 » by EMG518 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:01 pm

EvanZ wrote:
knicksfan1984 wrote:So, I really haven't seen his name pop up at all and I don't quite get why. I know people will probably knee jerk and say what little notoriety he has is due to his name, but I think Pippen would be a great value towards the end of the first and into the second round. Curious to see how tall he actually is...he could be anywhere from 6'0 to 6'3, which may explain his lack of notice.

He's definitely closer to 6' than 6'3".

We don't know that.

I have him I think 17th on my board. People over think things alot of the time. He can play basketball. He is not going to be a star but I see him having a good career in the league.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#6 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Yes, I don't get it either. He's likely a NBA-caliber talent, at least top 45, right?

Seems like he'll surely rise in the workouts period.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Thu May 20, 2021 9:34 pm

Guards who are "just ok" can be found off the scrap heap at any time. Why would I ever draft this guy when, for example, I could sign Yogi Ferrell to a 10-day contract? Yogi Ferrell was a much, much better college player than Pippen Jr.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#8 » by Charm » Thu May 20, 2021 11:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:Guards who are "just ok" can be found off the scrap heap at any time. Why would I ever draft this guy when, for example, I could sign Yogi Ferrell to a 10-day contract? Yogi Ferrell was a much, much better college player than Pippen Jr.

95% of players get drafted at least in part because of their potential to improve and expand their game. Pippen's just a matter of months older than all the top freshmen everyone's so excited about. So why not take a flier on his potential to keep improving?

That said, it does seem like all the best sleepers drafted lately have been wings and forwards, not smaller point guards like Pippen.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Fri May 21, 2021 12:40 am

Charm wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Guards who are "just ok" can be found off the scrap heap at any time. Why would I ever draft this guy when, for example, I could sign Yogi Ferrell to a 10-day contract? Yogi Ferrell was a much, much better college player than Pippen Jr.

95% of players get drafted at least in part because of their potential to improve and expand their game. Pippen's just a matter of months older than all the top freshmen everyone's so excited about. So why not take a flier on his potential to keep improving?

That said, it does seem like all the best sleepers drafted lately have been wings and forwards, not smaller point guards like Pippen.

You answered your own question.

Return to NBA Draft