2022 international class

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Re: 2022 international class 

Post#141 » by pohani komarac » Mon May 2, 2022 6:24 pm

Hal14 wrote:Just saying Karlo Matkovic is a sleeper. Just makes winning play after winning play:

He is let's say light modern center. Lacks skills and needs to add range but is the type of guy that makes winning plays.

With him, Croatia has 2 more sleepers. 6'7 PG Lovro Gnjidić. He is a true talent, a natrual PG with natural feel for the offense, great vision, and very good athletic abilities. He has the biggest question marks. He lacks star player mentality and this is biggest concern among other things that he needs to work on like decision making, but he has the talent to become star in Europe, maybe even NBA. But there is a ton of work in front of him. He is more talented for me than more hyped Prkačin. I believe hi is likely to pull out like Matković

Along with him, 7'3 big man Danko Branković is what you call a true late bloomer. There is strong interest for him last couple of months from NBA teams and there are strong indications that he will be drafted. It took time for his body to catch up and is still developing despite he is 22 years old, but he has been playing some very good basketball. He has great hands and understanding of a game can shoot, is very mobile and there is a competitive fire in him.

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,147

Post#142 » by Hal14 » Sun May 15, 2022 2:34 am

I mentioned this earlier in the thread i think but IMO Karlo Matkovic is the most underrated big man in the draft class:

His offensive rating is WAY higher than hid defensive rating. By comparison, his teammate Nikol Jovic has a negative net rating last i checked. Matkovic has a way higher PER than Jovic as well, way higher TS%.

Yes I know that Matkovic is 2 yrs older and bigs are usually higher in those stats than wings but still...

I watch Mega Mozzart play and I see Matkovic put in crazy effort, hustle. Makes winning plays, is fundamentally sound. Rebounds, blocks shots, sets screens, is a good lob threat. Just turned 21 so not THAT old, still has a window to keep getting better these next couple years in an NBA development system.

Could definitely be a solid 2nd round pick.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#143 » by 165bows » Tue May 17, 2022 2:06 am

No one reads Dean on Draft around here anymore?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#144 » by jman3134 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:56 am

I found it entertaining when I looked it up, but no much else. Comping NCAA players to Internationals (and statistics) on a 1 to 1 is beyond ridiculous.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#145 » by 165bows » Tue May 17, 2022 10:22 am

jman3134 wrote:I found it entertaining when I looked it up, but no much else. Comping NCAA players to Internationals (and statistics) on a 1 to 1 is beyond ridiculous.

Yeah except he’s nailed the **** out of a ton of draft calls, including Luka being the best prospect in forever, Embiid over >>>>>> Wiggins/Parker etc etc.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#146 » by jman3134 » Tue May 17, 2022 4:12 pm

Not really impressed by those calls. Wiggins' mental game was always what held him back and his KU play was not great. Parker was overrated for the modern NBA.

Luka was producing in Europe at a young age. That was one of the easier calls.

I'm sure he has had better calls than those, but the international article isn't a good one because he's comping apples to oranges as if that is obvious. Doesn't even list why Koloko is the better prospect, which I agree with.
LXTSN
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#147 » by LXTSN » Tue May 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Hal14 wrote:I mentioned this earlier in the thread i think but IMO Karlo Matkovic is the most underrated big man in the draft class:

His offensive rating is WAY higher than hid defensive rating. By comparison, his teammate Nikol Jovic has a negative net rating last i checked. Matkovic has a way higher PER than Jovic as well, way higher TS%.

Yes I know that Matkovic is 2 yrs older and bigs are usually higher in those stats than wings but still...

I watch Mega Mozzart play and I see Matkovic put in crazy effort, hustle. Makes winning plays, is fundamentally sound. Rebounds, blocks shots, sets screens, is a good lob threat. Just turned 21 so not THAT old, still has a window to keep getting better these next couple years in an NBA development system.

Read on Twitter

I actually think this guy does have a chance to get drafted. If you look at some of the other centers who are dropping on draft boards, they are more traditional centers. Karlo Matkovic's three point shot actually looks really fluid, and he seems to be super athletic!

I'm not saying he would win rookie of the year or be the piece to turn around a franchise, but I think he would fit right into most NBA teams as a good 3-D + lob threat guy. I feel like he would be more valuable in the NBA vs the Euro League, but let's see!
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,180

Post#148 » by Mickey8 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:22 am

Hal14 wrote:I mentioned this earlier in the thread i think but IMO Karlo Matkovic is the most underrated big man in the draft class:

I don't know why you comparing him to Jovic , Matkovic is 3 years older than Jovic with the more experience playing the pro basketball, physically already formed player, and they are playing at different positions. Matkovic is basically dunker, he gets the ball in the paint and he dunks it , thats his game. He doesn't have refined offensive game, he can hit jump shot here and there but not routinely. His ceiling in the NBA is Goga Bitadze( if he ever see any NBA action at all), even though Bitadze had the more offensive game than Matkovic when he was drafted.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#149 » by Hal14 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:38 am

Mickey8 wrote:

I don't know why you comparing him to Jovic , Matkovic is 3 years older than Jovic with the more experience playing the pro basketball, physically already formed player, and they are playing at different positions. Matkovic is basically dunker, he gets the ball in the paint and he dunks it , thats his game. He doesn't have refined offensive game, he can hit jump shot here and there but not routinely. His ceiling in the NBA is Goga Bitadze( if he ever see any NBA action at all), even though Bitadze had the more offensive game than Matkovic when he was drafted.

I'm just saying that given how much higher Jovic is ranked than Matkovic by every site, you would think Jovic's stats would be much better - even with the 2 year age difference..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#150 » by coutournant » Thu May 26, 2022 7:54 am

Makoundou is rising at the end of the season in French Elite. He's still one of the best athletes ever seen in France, but he really improved his shot. He averages 36% at 3pt and 76% FT.
His team, Cholet (Gobert, Beaubois, Seraphin, De Colo, Gelabale), bet two euroleague teams this week : ASVEL and Monaco, and he was the best player during thes two games.
He's one of the few player in this world able to block Wembanyama at 3.

Read on Twitter

Makoundou is still raw, he is a late bloomer but he could be a steal in the second round (he's automatically eligible)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#151 » by Hal14 » Sat May 28, 2022 7:50 pm

coutournant wrote:Makoundou is rising at the end of the season in French Elite. He's still one of the best athletes ever seen in France, but he really improved his shot. He averages 36% at 3pt and 76% FT.
His team, Cholet (Gobert, Beaubois, Seraphin, De Colo, Gelabale), bet two euroleague teams this week : ASVEL and Monaco, and he was the best player during thes two games.

Read on Twitter

Makoundou is still raw, he is a late bloomer but he could be a steal in the second round (he's automatically eligible)

I'm just gonna call him Yoan, it's easier.

Look at all the awesome plays he makes in Cholet's game yesterday:

This dude might be the most underrated player in the draft.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#152 » by Hal14 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:30 pm

Most underrated PG in the draft?

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#153 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Jun 1, 2022 8:27 pm

Hal14 wrote:
coutournant wrote:Makoundou is rising at the end of the season in French Elite. He's still one of the best athletes ever seen in France, but he really improved his shot. He averages 36% at 3pt and 76% FT.

Read on Twitter

I'm just gonna call him Yoan, it's easier.

Look at all the awesome plays he makes in Cholet's game yesterday:

This dude might be the most underrated player in the draft.

he's impressive. pretty solid production over there as well. hasn't taken a ton of threes, but respectable percentages suggest he could get there as a shooter.

Return to NBA Draft