2022 G League Ignite guys

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

RollingWave
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,801
And1: 608
Joined: Apr 06, 2006

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#21 » by RollingWave » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:07 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Yeah offence is definitely the concern. He's going to have to take some further leaps. He's a little awkward in his movement so I wonder how functional his athleticism will be offensively, but I felt encouraged by his shooting off basic movement at U19s, that was a significant step up for him, and while I don't think he'll ever be a pull up shooting threat, he had some really enticing self creation jumpers at Aus Champ level.

He does a lot of things well (defence, rebounding, smart offensive player), but he just needs to become a tenable scoring threat for it all to come together for him. Otherwise he might find himself without an identity.


Yeah, I just tend to think that especially for clear perimeter players these days, if i'm not sure about the offense getting to the basic threshold then at least I wouldn't be putting him as like a top 15 player in mocks at least, but obviously they have more info.

They'll start having exhibition games at the end of this week, will be interesting to see how those guys play together, there's a theory of how it works, I saw some report out of China that Fanbo Zeng dodged a serious injury in his last outting in China (it look like something gave when he jumped without any contact and he limped off.) but that's why he hasn't gone into full contact practice in the limited practice film they released, so dunno if he'll play right off the bat.

It seems of the 6 guys Beauchamp and Daniels seem to overlap the most positionally right? both are like 2-3 that's probably better at 2 types. but clearly Hardy is going to have the biggest lion share of playing time at the 2.

Sam Veccinne in his pod said something along the lines that Michael Foster was super ball dominant and might also try to play that way in the G league etc, that would be a problem I'd think given that he has skill, but not THAT level of skill.
The river of time wash away all heroes
RollingWave
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,801
And1: 608
Joined: Apr 06, 2006

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#22 » by RollingWave » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:12 pm

Ignite played game one, it was pretty ugly, some general overview and thoughts.

Scoot Henderson is still dealing with some minor back injury and didn't play, with the remaining 5 prospects, they started 4 of them (outside of Fanbo Zeng) and the rest of the rotation was Feng / Jeter / Amauri Hardy and a few G League young vets.

Anyway, they got destroyed in the first half, especially right out of the gate where they were 20-0 before Dyson Daniel mercifully hit a 3, from the 20-0 point they actually won the rest of the game ... the problem was obviously that this was too big of a hole.

After the early destruction, they mostly played only 1 or 2 of the kids with the vets most of the way, with a few brief exceptions.

Anyway, how each of the kids looked. (relative to expectations.)

Jaden Hardy (expectation: high lotto pick ) : quite bad, especially in the part he's suppose to shine most in, aka his shooting, where he was 1 of 8 from 3 (but 3 of 6 from 2s), however he also had 6 assists, and some of them were pretty good finds in transitions, defensively he looked... ok, I feel he didn't get down in stance all the time but also wasn't massive point of failure either. the most troubling part was probably where he had one of his catch and shoot 3s literally blocked by an opposing guard. team worst -22 but he did look good cutting and finding some guys in transition. they really weren't playing through him nearly as much as I thought they would.


Michael Foster (expectation: mid to late first-round pick ) : not good, there were some flashes of goodness and he he showed off almsot all the skills, the problem was that he wasn't putting anything together enough, he had some nice defensive moments, but also some not so good once, and on offense he didn't seem to have a clear role/plan most of the time despite getting quite a few touches, he went for an ugly 3-12 from field overall.

Dyson Daniel (expectation: mid first round pick ) : horrific, whereas with Foster you can see the logic in what he's trying to do and some were just missing by a little, but with Daniels, the proof of concept isn't there on offense, most notably, the first 3 times up the floor (he brough the ball up in all 3 ) 2 of them saw him lost the ball for no reason in half-court, and another one he got stripped clean at top of the key, the horrible start mostly had to do with Ignite simply couldn't get into any sort of offense at all and the clear point of failure with Dyson Daniels, he looke better later on and his defense looked mostly about as positive as advertised, he went 1 of 2 from 3, the 1 is the first shot the Ignite made all game, a step back 3, the problem is that his other 3 was an in rhythm catch and shoot.... which he air-balled wide and short by a very large margin..... he did swing some passes in a pretty impressive way, but I just can't get over how blend and high his dibble looks, I see no chance he can use that dribble to initiate consistently in the NBA.

Marjon Beauchamp ( expectatition : ???? maybe second round ??? ) : the most impressive statistically and probably overall in this game. he scored in variety of ways, though he didn't hit a 3 and is 2 years older than the other 4 guys, but he actually had a somewhat efficient game in an otherwise horrific performance by the team, scoring in a variety of matters, transition, iso etc... he look the part of an NBA player at least, and had the 2 highlight offensive plays of the game just iso and blowing past guys for big dunks.

Fanbo Zeng (expectation : ?????? is he a real prospect??? ) : well if the bar is if he's a real prospect then he blew by that easily, cerainly looks as athletic and skilled as anyone out there. when he was in position he clearly bothered if not straight up blocked a lot of shot, and he found a few seam to get buckets, he went 1 of 3 from 3, but the process looked more promising than say.. Dyson Daniels, (aka the one he hit was a clean catch and shoot and looked very good, and the 2 he missed were bad shot clock heaves), bot like 8 rebounds in just 20 mins, some pretty contested too. Also notable is that he's the most clear guy that was trying to direct traffic and or coordinate plays on defense especially but also some on offense. At least I feel comfortable in saying he's not Kai Sotto / Princepal Signh, now he needs to do more to prove he's a real draft prospect obviously.

Overall a lot of deer in headlight this game early on , they recovered decently, lets see what their adjustments are going forwards, from this game at least I'm most worried by them letting Dyson Daniel play point when he's not really dribbling like a point guard out there and he result showed, I suppose partly that's due to Scoot being hurt, but anyway, we'll see.. physically speaking I liked what I saw from Hardy actually, he's thinner than I remembered, the effort seems mostly there as well, Foster looked decent when they played him as a 5 and I want to see more of that, Zeng I was mostly worried about him just completely crashing and burning at higher level but obviously that didn't happen.

Second game tonight.
The river of time wash away all heroes
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,369
And1: 61,417
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:02 pm

Hardy look on the smaller side, probably closer to 6-3 than 6-4 imo, has a good frame and should develop core strength quickly but he's gonna need to develop a lot more as a game manager/playmaker IMO, because defensively he's not really bringing anything to the table at this point and if his shot is not falling like we just saw he kinda turns into a net negative on the court.
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,369
And1: 61,417
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:09 pm

Zeng looks like the most intriguing guy tbh
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
User avatar
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 998
And1: 578
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#25 » by retrobro90 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:16 am

clyde21 wrote:Zeng looks like the most intriguing guy tbh


More than Beachamp? Still haven't finished the first game but kinda prefer Marjon's archetype. Heard Poku comparisons for Zeng and that's given me mixed emotions.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,801
And1: 608
Joined: Apr 06, 2006

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#26 » by RollingWave » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:39 am

retrobro90 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Zeng looks like the most intriguing guy tbh


More than Beachamp? Still haven't finished the first game but kinda prefer Marjon's archetype. Heard Poku comparisons for Zeng and that's given me mixed emotions.


Yeah in terms of archtype Beauchamp is probably more interesting, we'll see, he was bad the second game. and Zeng needs to show a little more than this to be really in the draft talk. the bar for a straight 4 is higher usually, Zeng has flashed a lot of the things that would suggest he could get there, but we'll need to see it. He's still way too light.

Game 2, haven't watched yet, just scoreboard watching...

Hardy and Scoot didn't play, Foster and Daniels had pretty good game, Zeng was around the same as last game but showed somewhat different things ( only 1 rebound but 3 pretty good looking assist.) Beauchamp had a bad game, went 0-6.
The river of time wash away all heroes
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,125
And1: 48,032
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#27 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 5:40 pm

RollingWave wrote:Ignite played game one, it was pretty ugly, some general overview and thoughts.

Scoot Henderson is still dealing with some minor back injury and didn't play, with the remaining 5 prospects, they started 4 of them (outside of Fanbo Zeng) and the rest of the rotation was Feng / Jeter / Amauri Hardy and a few G League young vets.

Anyway, they got destroyed in the first half, especially right out of the gate where they were 20-0 before Dyson Daniel mercifully hit a 3, from the 20-0 point they actually won the rest of the game ... the problem was obviously that this was too big of a hole.

After the early destruction, they mostly played only 1 or 2 of the kids with the vets most of the way, with a few brief exceptions.

Anyway, how each of the kids looked. (relative to expectations.)

Jaden Hardy (expectation: high lotto pick ) : quite bad, especially in the part he's suppose to shine most in, aka his shooting, where he was 1 of 8 from 3 (but 3 of 6 from 2s), however he also had 6 assists, and some of them were pretty good finds in transitions, defensively he looked... ok, I feel he didn't get down in stance all the time but also wasn't massive point of failure either. the most troubling part was probably where he had one of his catch and shoot 3s literally blocked by an opposing guard. team worst -22 but he did look good cutting and finding some guys in transition. they really weren't playing through him nearly as much as I thought they would.


Michael Foster (expectation: mid to late first-round pick ) : not good, there were some flashes of goodness and he he showed off almsot all the skills, the problem was that he wasn't putting anything together enough, he had some nice defensive moments, but also some not so good once, and on offense he didn't seem to have a clear role/plan most of the time despite getting quite a few touches, he went for an ugly 3-12 from field overall.

Dyson Daniel (expectation: mid first round pick ) : horrific, whereas with Foster you can see the logic in what he's trying to do and some were just missing by a little, but with Daniels, the proof of concept isn't there on offense, most notably, the first 3 times up the floor (he brough the ball up in all 3 ) 2 of them saw him lost the ball for no reason in half-court, and another one he got stripped clean at top of the key, the horrible start mostly had to do with Ignite simply couldn't get into any sort of offense at all and the clear point of failure with Dyson Daniels, he looke better later on and his defense looked mostly about as positive as advertised, he went 1 of 2 from 3, the 1 is the first shot the Ignite made all game, a step back 3, the problem is that his other 3 was an in rhythm catch and shoot.... which he air-balled wide and short by a very large margin..... he did swing some passes in a pretty impressive way, but I just can't get over how blend and high his dibble looks, I see no chance he can use that dribble to initiate consistently in the NBA.

Marjon Beauchamp ( expectatition : ???? maybe second round ??? ) : the most impressive statistically and probably overall in this game. he scored in variety of ways, though he didn't hit a 3 and is 2 years older than the other 4 guys, but he actually had a somewhat efficient game in an otherwise horrific performance by the team, scoring in a variety of matters, transition, iso etc... he look the part of an NBA player at least, and had the 2 highlight offensive plays of the game just iso and blowing past guys for big dunks.

Fanbo Zeng (expectation : ?????? is he a real prospect??? ) : well if the bar is if he's a real prospect then he blew by that easily, cerainly looks as athletic and skilled as anyone out there. when he was in position he clearly bothered if not straight up blocked a lot of shot, and he found a few seam to get buckets, he went 1 of 3 from 3, but the process looked more promising than say.. Dyson Daniels, (aka the one he hit was a clean catch and shoot and looked very good, and the 2 he missed were bad shot clock heaves), bot like 8 rebounds in just 20 mins, some pretty contested too. Also notable is that he's the most clear guy that was trying to direct traffic and or coordinate plays on defense especially but also some on offense. At least I feel comfortable in saying he's not Kai Sotto / Princepal Signh, now he needs to do more to prove he's a real draft prospect obviously.

Overall a lot of deer in headlight this game early on , they recovered decently, lets see what their adjustments are going forwards, from this game at least I'm most worried by them letting Dyson Daniel play point when he's not really dribbling like a point guard out there and he result showed, I suppose partly that's due to Scoot being hurt, but anyway, we'll see.. physically speaking I liked what I saw from Hardy actually, he's thinner than I remembered, the effort seems mostly there as well, Foster looked decent when they played him as a 5 and I want to see more of that, Zeng I was mostly worried about him just completely crashing and burning at higher level but obviously that didn't happen.

Second game tonight.


I won’t lie, I don’t have the same interest in this year’s Ignite team as I did with last year’s team. So very much appreciate these kind of detailed write ups!
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,814
And1: 16,749
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#28 » by GimmeDat » Mon Nov 1, 2021 10:36 pm

If Ignite are asking Daniels to initiate it's going to hurt the team.. he has a long way to go as a ball handler, and while he has good vision/processing of the game, his passing execution is limited as well.

His shot's not there yet either, so he's not going to look good offensively this year.
Chupchup
Junior
Posts: 266
And1: 53
Joined: Oct 21, 2020

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#29 » by Chupchup » Mon Nov 1, 2021 11:05 pm

Read on Twitter


Curious how the minutes will change once Hardy and Scoot come back.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,801
And1: 608
Joined: Apr 06, 2006

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#30 » by RollingWave » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:22 am

GimmeDat wrote:If Ignite are asking Daniels to initiate it's going to hurt the team.. he has a long way to go as a ball handler, and while he has good vision/processing of the game, his passing execution is limited as well.

His shot's not there yet either, so he's not going to look good offensively this year.


He had a really crazy play in game two with behind the shoulder pass (that didn't directly result in a assist for him, but clearly broke the opponent defense.) There are things to really like, and he's shown quiet a few times when guys just try to iso on him out there it did really well (at least if it's from perimeter, he had like one or two times when bigger guys went through / around him easily on post ups. )

But yeah, if your going to be a guy with balls in hand, the starting point of "is it going to work" has to be "do you have an actual high level handle" and that has never really looked like its there and that's why I was always a bit baffled why a lot of the pros had him so high.

As for time breakdown, it seems that they're limiting Zeng to 20 because he had a bit of a knee scare before he came over, I suspect if he looks like this and better they should play him more than that. Other kids they've played 30 mins. I suspect that with Scoot they'll also ease him in like that.

Funny enough among the non prospect I'd say Amauri Hardy has impressed me the most, Pooh Jeter did a lot better in game 2 it seems.

They're playing Foster at the 5 some, but he's sort of spliting 4/5 right now it has looked better IMHO when he's 5 and they can just space, he's actually pretty interesting if you can post him and they can spread the floor as he's got a lot of different skills and is a hulk at that age ( best case for him is like Julius Randle with a real wingspan? probably won't be as good as Randle on offense but maybe like a more balanced version of that, especially if he can defend the 5 at least semi-ok that would be really interesting.)
The river of time wash away all heroes
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,814
And1: 16,749
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#31 » by GimmeDat » Tue Nov 2, 2021 10:43 am

RollingWave wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:If Ignite are asking Daniels to initiate it's going to hurt the team.. he has a long way to go as a ball handler, and while he has good vision/processing of the game, his passing execution is limited as well.

His shot's not there yet either, so he's not going to look good offensively this year.


He had a really crazy play in game two with behind the shoulder pass (that didn't directly result in a assist for him, but clearly broke the opponent defense.) There are things to really like, and he's shown quiet a few times when guys just try to iso on him out there it did really well (at least if it's from perimeter, he had like one or two times when bigger guys went through / around him easily on post ups. )

But yeah, if your going to be a guy with balls in hand, the starting point of "is it going to work" has to be "do you have an actual high level handle" and that has never really looked like its there and that's why I was always a bit baffled why a lot of the pros had him so high.

As for time breakdown, it seems that they're limiting Zeng to 20 because he had a bit of a knee scare before he came over, I suspect if he looks like this and better they should play him more than that. Other kids they've played 30 mins. I suspect that with Scoot they'll also ease him in like that.

Funny enough among the non prospect I'd say Amauri Hardy has impressed me the most, Pooh Jeter did a lot better in game 2 it seems.

They're playing Foster at the 5 some, but he's sort of spliting 4/5 right now it has looked better IMHO when he's 5 and they can just space, he's actually pretty interesting if you can post him and they can spread the floor as he's got a lot of different skills and is a hulk at that age ( best case for him is like Julius Randle with a real wingspan? probably won't be as good as Randle on offense but maybe like a more balanced version of that, especially if he can defend the 5 at least semi-ok that would be really interesting.)


Appreciate hearing your thoughts - I haven't been able to get the footage of the preseason games so far!
RollingWave
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,801
And1: 608
Joined: Apr 06, 2006

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#32 » by RollingWave » Wed Nov 3, 2021 2:11 am

Their game today should feature Kuminga and Moody as well, which would be interesting
The river of time wash away all heroes
User avatar
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 998
And1: 578
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#33 » by retrobro90 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:35 pm

Any way to watch the game today? Can't seem to find a watch option on the G league site
Chupchup
Junior
Posts: 266
And1: 53
Joined: Oct 21, 2020

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#34 » by Chupchup » Wed Nov 3, 2021 11:32 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Any way to watch the game today? Can't seem to find a watch option on the G league site


letsgowarriors live streamed the game.

User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,369
And1: 61,417
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#35 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:08 am

Zeng couldn't make a J today but man that his jumper is just wet, so smooth, lowkey stud athlete too
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
RollingWave
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,801
And1: 608
Joined: Apr 06, 2006

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#36 » by RollingWave » Thu Nov 4, 2021 4:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:Zeng couldn't make a J today but man that his jumper is just wet, so smooth, lowkey stud athlete too


Yeah but it hasn't gone in :/ even airballed one. he didn't look really right today, and so far he's basically not able to get into rythem for one problem or another, either he's stepping out of bounds all over the place or he's getting a bunch of ticky tack fouls.

For the game against Santa Cruz Foster was by far the most effective, heck he was statistically the best player out there today out playing Kuminga and Moody too. They're going to him in the mid post a lot more now and it often looks very good, he even found cutters a few times for some really nice easy plays. Among the 6 kids he's been the most consistent by far, even the bad game he was at least doing something.

Beauchamp looked very good in the first half and awful in the second.

Daniels had a really mixed bag game again, I see what the hype is, he has a very weird but often effective inbetween game where he likes to get into mid range floaters that's very hard to stop, and he has active hands, but this game he was 2-7 from 3 and at least saw one wild airball. also this game didn't like his defense even though that's suppose to be his strong suit, but they had him guard Chris Chiozza a lot and it didn't look good, he was either getting beat by the quick small guard straight up or just dying on screens.

Zeng was just bad, he keeps getting out of sorts with either weird self-inflicted turnovers (like stepping out of bounds 4 times in game 2 somehow.) or a few quick ticky-tack fouls . the athleticism looks good and the shot form looks good, but boy he needs to start putting together some real performances.

The Ignite has just been pretty disjointed overall, the first game their offense was just so bad that even though they actually played decent half court defense it didn't matter, they seem to be getting into more of a style now on offense without Hardy (which involves a lot of Michael Foster at the middle.) but then their defense starts falling apart.

We'll see, obviously with a team like this wins loss isn't the main issue it's more about progression and process, but the starting point at least have been pretty rough.
The river of time wash away all heroes
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,814
And1: 16,749
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#37 » by GimmeDat » Sat Nov 6, 2021 12:06 am

Asking this because I haven't watched any full games.. do you think these prospects playing together against pro's is benefitting their development?

Last year guys like Green and Kuminga could clearly elite enough to hack it and they were surrounded with vets and different guys.. this year feels like a lot of decent but not elite prospects all playing together and trying to figure it out, and I'm wondering whether that's a less ideal scenario.
Hal14
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,780
And1: 3,516
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#38 » by Hal14 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:08 am

GimmeDat wrote:Asking this because I haven't watched any full games.. do you think these prospects playing together against pro's is benefitting their development?

Last year guys like Green and Kuminga could clearly elite enough to hack it and they were surrounded with vets and different guys.. this year feels like a lot of decent but not elite prospects all playing together and trying to figure it out, and I'm wondering whether that's a less ideal scenario.

I think it helps them.

You don't get better by playing against sh*tty competition.

Pippen became the player he did because he went against Jordan every day in practice.

These guys might not put up crazy numbers on the Ignite and they might not win a lot of games, but they'll be better prepared for the next level.

Also, the teams the Ignite are playing against are kind of pros but they're kind of not. All the guys they're playing against are guys who weren't good enough to be on the 15 man active roster for their NBA team. So none of the guys they're playing against are among the top 450 players in he world (30 teams x 15 active roster players per team = 450).

I saw somewhere online that some of the better European pro leagues are better competition than G-league.
User avatar
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 998
And1: 578
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#39 » by retrobro90 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 1:11 am

GimmeDat wrote:Asking this because I haven't watched any full games.. do you think these prospects playing together against pro's is benefitting their development?

Last year guys like Green and Kuminga could clearly elite enough to hack it and they were surrounded with vets and different guys.. this year feels like a lot of decent but not elite prospects all playing together and trying to figure it out, and I'm wondering whether that's a less ideal scenario.


I think its still nice for them to learn the terminology sooner and acclimate to the longer 3pt line/shorter shot clock.

And Kosta Koufos is now gonna be there and thats beneficial for all of us.
User avatar
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
Posts: 998
And1: 578
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: 2022 G League Ignite guys 

Post#40 » by retrobro90 » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:13 am

Dyson looked awesome tonight. Most qualified floor general there even with Pooh Jeter on the floor. They led against South Bay until crunch time.

Brutal shooting from Jaden Hardy and he looked pretty tentative overall despite the # of attempts. Was actually surprised when I saw the box score because he was mostly invisible tonight.

Return to NBA Draft