Kendall Brown

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

Hal14
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,739
And1: 3,490
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Kendall Brown 

Post#1 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:07 am

Anyone else really high on Kendall Brown?

Well, I think Clyde21 is. Reason I checked out a bunch of Brown footage this week is cause I saw Clyde had Brown ranked pretty high in a post somewhere.

I like this kid's intangibles. Just really seems like a good team player. A good glue guy. The type of guy who kind of plays like a role player who does the little things like get some good steals, doesn't force shots, just lets the game come to him, makes some good passes. High energy, doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be effective. Great motor, just always seems to play hard and make the right play. So his floor is really good glue guy role player. But at the same time he makes some highlight reel dunks and the combination of his length, speed, explosiveness, athleticism along with elite defense and elite passing (relative to his position), and young age makes me think his ceiling is star player.

Plus, has good handle (especially relative to his position), some good self creation. Very versatile. Combo forward, but more of a 3 than a 4. Could even play some 2. Defensively is comfortable guarding 2-4, and maybe even some 1 and 5, depending on who the 1 and 5 is.

Comparisons? Scottie Pippen, Shawn Marion

I've currently got Brown ranked no. 4 in 2022 draft, only trailing the consensus top 3 of Banchero/Holmgren/Hardy.

Looking forward to seeing how Brown does this season against some better competition. I think he'll do just fine, though - he was awesome last year vs some of the best high school teams in the country. And he's going to Baylor, the team that just won the title so obviously good program with good coach but he'll have a chance to make an impact right away since Baylor had their best players leave for the NBA.









If you watch those 4 vids and don't have him at least in the top 10, well then IDK..

6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan. 205 lbs but i'm thinking that is pretty much pure muscle cause he plays like he's got a strong build so kind of plays more like 215 lbs. I'm not seeing a verified vertical leap for him but I am pretty sure it is at least 40". I'm thinking the 3 dudes most likely to be in the dunk contest from this draft class are Brown, Kinsey and Davison. And out of those 3, Brown is BY FAR the most likely to make an all-NBA defensive team..
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 22,791
And1: 8,877
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 5:35 am

I am high on him, have him 9th on my very unscientific 'watch list': viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2102189

He just looks very cerebral and tough, I like heady players who are also bruisers. Can't wait to see him in game action.
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Hal14
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,739
And1: 3,490
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#3 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:39 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I am high on him, have him 9th on my very unscientific 'watch list': viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2102189

He just looks very cerebral and tough, I like heady players who are also bruisers. Can't wait to see him in game action.

tough and cerebral is a good way to describe him.

I'm also very interested to see him in action for Baylor.
Hal14
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,739
And1: 3,490
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#4 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm

Brown looking like a beast so far this season. He continues to show excellent passing, as he did in high school:

User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 8,798
And1: 1,774
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Super interesting prospect. Like a bigger, more skilled Keon Johnson.
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 8,798
And1: 1,774
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#6 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Aaron Gordon comes to mind.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,326
And1: 61,404
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 pm

love his physical pro, strong and explosive, curious at where his w/s will register but his profile projects well to the NBA, is a handful in the full court and loves to cut/slash, he'll probably be the best athlete in the class.

if he can develop a reliable shot or some ISO skills he's probably the 4th best player in the draft after the top3.
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 8,798
And1: 1,774
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:51 pm

He's said in an interview you can find online he has a 6'11" ws.
EMG518
Starter
Posts: 2,366
And1: 692
Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#9 » by EMG518 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:07 am

Curious to see how he develops over the course of the season but high on him.

High on this draft as well I will continue to say.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,326
And1: 61,404
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:04 pm

buyin call options on this guy, might work his way into T1 sooner rather than later. the playmaking is real real, that gives his offense a whole new dimension even if he's still a shaky shooter.
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
Chuck Everett
Head Coach
Posts: 6,198
And1: 4,466
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
   

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#11 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:43 am

Baylor has a pretty serious development program lately. LJ Cryer looks incredible this year as well. Kendall Brown runs the floor very well for a wing I'd say.
The-Power
Head Coach
Posts: 7,133
And1: 6,192
Joined: Jan 03, 2014
Location: Germany
   

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#12 » by The-Power » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:15 am

Very odd prospect to evaluate. Looks like he has the shot of a 5, the handles of a 4, the size of a 3, the passing of a 1/2 and an athletic ability that is just rare – to paint it with a broad brush and describe it in overly simplistic terms. What are everyone's expectations of his position and role at the next level?

Also, on another note, Jeremy Sochan reminds me of a poor man's Scottie Barnes. Less athletic and inferior Guard skills, but he has the same kind of game where he defends multiple positions and switches well, makes plays for others with good passes, and has the confidence to create his own shot off the dribble.
Hal14
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,739
And1: 3,490
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#13 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:24 pm

The-Power wrote:Very odd prospect to evaluate. Looks like he has the shot of a 5, the handles of a 4, the size of a 3, the passing of a 1/2 and an athletic ability that is just rare – to paint it with a broad brush and describe it in overly simplistic terms. What are everyone's expectations of his position and role at the next level?

Also, on another note, Jeremy Sochan reminds me of a poor man's Scottie Barnes. Less athletic and inferior Guard skills, but he has the same kind of game where he defends multiple positions and switches well, makes plays for others with good passes, and has the confidence to create his own shot off the dribble.

Sochan reminds me of Kelly Oubre.

I feel like Brown is a closer comparison to Scottie Barnes - given Brown's excellent passing and stronger perimeter defense, not as good interior defense. Sochan is not as good a passer as Brown or Barnes and Sochan is better interior defender than perimeter defender - unlike Brown and Barnes..
Hal14
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,739
And1: 3,490
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#14 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:26 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Baylor has a pretty serious development program lately. LJ Cryer looks incredible this year as well. Kendall Brown runs the floor very well for a wing I'd say.

Exactly. Look at the leap that Davion Mitchell made (as a shooter and overall as a player) once he transferred to baylor..
The-Power
Head Coach
Posts: 7,133
And1: 6,192
Joined: Jan 03, 2014
Location: Germany
   

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#15 » by The-Power » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:
The-Power wrote:Very odd prospect to evaluate. Looks like he has the shot of a 5, the handles of a 4, the size of a 3, the passing of a 1/2 and an athletic ability that is just rare – to paint it with a broad brush and describe it in overly simplistic terms. What are everyone's expectations of his position and role at the next level?

Also, on another note, Jeremy Sochan reminds me of a poor man's Scottie Barnes. Less athletic and inferior Guard skills, but he has the same kind of game where he defends multiple positions and switches well, makes plays for others with good passes, and has the confidence to create his own shot off the dribble.

Sochan reminds me of Kelly Oubre.

I feel like Brown is a closer comparison to Scottie Barnes - given Brown's excellent passing and stronger perimeter defense, not as good interior defense. Sochan is not as good a passer as Brown or Barnes and Sochan is better interior defender than perimeter defender - unlike Brown and Barnes..

I don't see Kelly Oubre at all. Oubre is a relatively skinny but explosive athlete who doesn't pass and is best at point-of-attack defense with the occasional athletic weak-side highlight play but otherwise clear limitations as a team defender. Sochan to me isn't that kind of player at all. He's not nearly as quick or explosive but bigger, he's a willing passer unlike Oubre and more of an all-around defender rather than a ‘lock in on one guy’ type of defender from what I have seen.

Also, I wouldn't characterize Barnes as a perimeter defender. His biggest defensive value lies in his versatility, and the fact that he can defend out on the perimeter and seamlessly switch onto bigger players as well as defend bigger players and switch onto Guards on the perimeter, all of which is enhanced by excellent and smart team defense. From what I have seen so far, that sounds more like Sochan than Brown (in terms of type; Sochan doesn't have Barnes physical tools to work with). If you see Brown primarily as an athletic freak that is awesome defending guys out on the perimeter with his athletic ability, then that sounds a lot more like Oubre (on defense, that is).
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,326
And1: 61,404
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#16 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:19 am

i think KB is kinda like the Iguodala archetype, not wiry like Iggy and will probably never have quick hands like Iggy but similar physical profile overall with some of the same passing chops and cutting/full court ability, same issues as an ISO-scorer/shooter.

i think Iggy is a good high end outcome for him more or less
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
User avatar
babyjax13
RealGM
Posts: 22,791
And1: 8,877
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Contact:
     

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:13 am

clyde21 wrote:i think KB is kinda like the Iguodala archetype, not wiry like Iggy and will probably never have quick hands like Iggy but similar physical profile overall with some of the same passing chops and cutting/full court ability, same issues as an ISO-scorer/shooter.

i think Iggy is a good high end outcome for him more or less

Smart Josh Smith (as in smart on the court, obvi)? Which honestly is just a completely different player...
Image

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft