Amen & Ausar Thompson - Potential 2022 NBA Draft Guys

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Amen & Ausar Thompson - Potential 2022 NBA Draft Guys 

Post#1 » by MemphisX » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:56 am

They are rolling with Overtime Elite and could potentially declare for the 2022 NBA draft.

Amen is a 6'6 point guard.

Ausar is a 6'6 shooting guard.

Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,153

Re: Amen & Ausar Thompson - Potential 2022 NBA Draft Guys 

Post#2 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:33 pm

Bumping this thread. So we can keep all the Thompson twins discussion organized/separated.

I wasn't too impressed by the twins in their latest game that got uploaded to Amazon prime. The one the other night vs the Dreamerz.

Ausar especially had a rough game. Both really struggled to hit jump shots. They just weren't as dminant as you'd like to see, given the competition.

With that being said, the team they were playing did have some good size, some good athleticism and some legit players. Let's not downplay the comp too much. Jazian Gortman, Alex Sarr, Ivan Almansa, Bryson Warren. Nathan Missia-Dio. These dudes can play. Gortman and Missia-Dio are draft eligible this year.

With that being said, I did move the twins down a few spots. I've got Ausar at 9 and Amen at 10, at the moment.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#3 » by peZt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:38 pm

They play in a league, where this type of **** is not only not called but also celebrated
Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM

Post#4 » by Hal14 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:15 pm

Ok, these last 2 games for City Reapers vs YNG Dreamerz (january 13 and january 20) have probably caused the twins stock to drop a little bit.

They're getting killed by a team of mostly 17 year olds. This is bad. Yes, the Dreamerz have Gortman who's 19. And the Dreamerz do have a bunch of talented players, but they're mostly 17 year olds and the twins are 20, the twins are struggling, they're not dominating and both of them (especially Amen) are shooting really bad in this game from January 20.

Amen just air balled a 3. Thinking they may end up going in the 10-15 range at this point..

Edit: ok, looks like they came and end up up winning the game on January 20. Nice rally in the 2nd half, but a lot of the comeback was Eli Ellis. And the twins still aren't hitting any of their jumpers.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,733

Post#5 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:44 pm

Are they the Harrison twins all over again?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#6 » by CptCrunch » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:20 pm

What do you mean playing actual high school teams like the Winston Salem Christian while looking like the 5th best player on the court doesn't make one the #3 pick?

Amen is not draftable in the lotto. Ausar is a late lotto pick. This is the only reasonable outcome on a risk adjusted basis. The Thompsons are straight up terrible for second year OTE players getting dominated by unranked high schoolers who are 17-18 right now.

These twins are the most fraudulent pair of prospects I've ever seen. Ote is probably paying content creators to make highlight videos of them. Recall, when was the last time some prospects received more social media attention than the twins?

edit: wow, such top tier team. The Winston Salem Christians don't even have an updated roster/schedule past 2019-2020. (https://www.wschristian.com/winter-sports) How many points should the #3 pick this year drop on the Winston Salem Christians in a normal game? How many points would Scoot drop?
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#7 » by MemphisX » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:03 am

Honestly, looking at the landscape of the NBA, I am not sure how people have them in the top 10 in this draft. Shooting is such a premium in the NBA. Athleticism is not. How many athletic non-shooters are really thriving in the NBA right now? Thriving enough to warrant top 10 in a draft with this many shot makers.

Vic
Scoot
Brandon
Keyonte
Cam
Gradey
Jett
Brice
Black
GG
Maxwell
Dariq

All guys I would bet on before the Twins.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#8 » by The Moose » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:08 am

Hard to have either in the top 10 at this point for sure
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,499

Post#9 » by azcatz11 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:08 am

:wink:
CptCrunch wrote:What do you mean playing actual high school teams like the Winston Salem Christian while looking like the 5th best player on the court doesn't make one the #3 pick?

Amen is not draftable in the lotto. Ausar is a late lotto pick. This is the only reasonable outcome on a risk adjusted basis. The Thompsons are straight up terrible for second year OTE players getting dominated by unranked high schoolers who are 17-18 right now.

These twins are the most fraudulent pair of prospects I've ever seen. Ote is probably paying content creators to make highlight videos of them. Recall, when was the last time some prospects received more social media attention than the twins?

edit: wow, such top tier team. The Winston Salem Christians don't even have an updated roster/schedule past 2019-2020. (https://www.wschristian.com/winter-sports) How many points should the #3 pick this year drop on the Winston Salem Christians in a normal game? How many points would Scoot drop?

So why does every major draft analysis have them between 3-10? I’m genuinely asking
Hal14
RealGM

Post#10 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:23 am

MemphisX wrote:Honestly, looking at the landscape of the NBA, I am not sure how people have them in the top 10 in this draft. Shooting is such a premium in the NBA. Athleticism is not.

Shooting is the easiest thing for players to improve once they get to the league.

You can't teach athleticism, though.

These guys weren't very good shooters when they entered the league...

Kawhi
Jaylen Brown
Giannis
Derozan
Zion
Giddey
Lamelo
Scottie Barnes
Shawn Marion
Jerami Grant
Khris Middleton
Marcus Smart
Siakam
Tatum
Banchero
Jrue Holiday
John Wall
De'Aaron Fox
Jimmy Butler
Ben Simmons

The twins are arguably the 2 best defenders in this draft class. They are 2 of the best passers in the draft class.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,350

Post#11 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:15 am

Its concerning to see their game hasnt improved over the course of the season. Hard to have them over guys that have improved on warts from earlier in the season and produced non stop.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#12 » by MemphisX » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:33 am

Hal14 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Honestly, looking at the landscape of the NBA, I am not sure how people have them in the top 10 in this draft. Shooting is such a premium in the NBA. Athleticism is not.

Shooting is the easiest thing for players to improve once they get to the league.

Kawhi
Jaylen Brown
Giannis
Derozan
Zion
Giddey
Lamelo
Scottie Barnes
Shawn Marion
Jerami Grant
Khris Middleton
Marcus Smart
Siakam
Tatum
Banchero
Jrue Holiday
John Wall
De'Aaron Fox
Jimmy Butler

The twins are arguably the 2 best defenders in this draft class. They are 2 of the best passers in the draft class.

For everyone that did learn how to shoot, there are likely 5 or more who didn't. And some of the guys you listed, are still not good shooters or high-volume shooters. As I said, when there are equivalent-level prospects with greater shooting indicators, I will take the shooters.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#13 » by CptCrunch » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:26 pm

azcatz11 wrote::wink:
CptCrunch wrote:What do you mean playing actual high school teams like the Winston Salem Christian while looking like the 5th best player on the court doesn't make one the #3 pick?

So why does every major draft analysis have them between 3-10? I’m genuinely asking

Same group-think coolaid that drafted Ayton above Doncic. :crazy:
Hal14
RealGM

Post#14 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:38 pm

MemphisX wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Kawhi
Jaylen Brown
Giannis
Derozan
Zion
Giddey
Lamelo
Scottie Barnes
Shawn Marion
Jerami Grant
Khris Middleton
Marcus Smart
Siakam
Tatum
Banchero
Jrue Holiday
John Wall
De'Aaron Fox
Jimmy Butler

For everyone that did learn how to shoot, there are likely 5 or more who didn't. And some of the guys you listed, are still not good shooters or high-volume shooters. As I said, when there are equivalent-level prospects with greater shooting indicators, I will take the shooters.

So what? Everyone on the list became an awesome NBA player. There's more to basketball than shooting. You telling me Duncan Robinson, Seth Curry and Garison Matthews are better than Zion and Derozan?
"I'll take the shooters" is an incredibly dumbed down, simplistic draft philosophy. But you do you.

Based in your "I'll take the shooters" philosophy, you would have taken Jabari over Paolo with the no. 1 pick. And you would have been dead wrong.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#15 » by MemphisX » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:45 pm

Hal14 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Shooting is the easiest thing for players to improve once they get to the league.

Kawhi
Jaylen Brown
Giannis
Derozan
Zion
Giddey
Lamelo
Scottie Barnes
Shawn Marion
Jerami Grant
Khris Middleton
Marcus Smart
Siakam
Tatum
Banchero
Jrue Holiday
John Wall
De'Aaron Fox
Jimmy Butler

So what? Everyone on the list became an awesome NBA player. There's more to basketball than shooting. You telling me Duncan Robinson, Seth Curry and Garison Matthews are better than Zion and Derozan?

Oh, you are not here for a serious draft discussion. My bad. Carry on.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,350

Post#16 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:48 am

So 15year old Cam Boozer played this same team that the Thompsons struggled against 3 months ago. He put up 28 and 20 vs them and dominated them. Now I'm not certain its all the same guys on the team or whatever but its OTE and the same team name.

I get Boozer is a phenom. Thing is the Thompsons are going to be 20 on draft night. If Amen is a 3 pick in this years draft he should be dominating all the same as a 15 year old.

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,558

Post#17 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:55 pm

“Shooting is easiest to improve”

Ok, why hasn’t their shooting improved yet.

Its not the old days where you wont get an NBA caliber player dev coach teaching you to shoot (i.e Chip Engelland of the Spurs) until u get into the league.

I bet these two twins have been training with NBA caliber development coach given their lottery pick status.

I think Amen and Ausar are overrated. And they are trying to protect their draft status by playing garbage basketball with overtime elite where they can’t even hide their red flags with their non existent jumpshot.

Years from now they may turn out to be the next Steph Curry and Kawhi Leonard, but if im a GM, im letting the next GM bet on that one. Its not like im missing a once in a generation talent with this two and there are guys like Brandon Miller, Keyonte George or even Brice Sensabaugh who are just as good as prospects as these two.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#18 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:23 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:So 15year old Cam Boozer played this same team that the Thompsons struggled against 3 months ago. He put up 28 and 20 vs them and dominated them. Now I'm not certain its all the same guys on the team or whatever but its OTE and the same team name.

I get Boozer is a phenom. Thing is the Thompsons are going to be 20 on draft night. If Amen is a 3 pick in this years draft he should be dominating all the same as a 15 year old.

Eh, IDK. Sounds like a reach.

-We're talking about 1 game sample sizes here. The Thompsons vs the Dreamerz and Boozer vs the Dreamerz. It's never a good idea to base too much off 1 game
-Boozer is considered a better prospect than the Thompsons, despite the fact that he's only 15. Apparently, Boozer is THAT good. I've heard that outside of Wemby (and possibly Scoot), Boozer is the best prospect in the world
-I'm assuming Boozer is THE guy on his team. Gets all the touches, all the shot attempts, doesn't to compete for rebounds with teammates, etc. Whereas the points on the City Reapers are distributed between both of the Thompson twins, plus Eli Ellis scores a lot of point for them too. And the twins are guards, so they're not gonna get a ton of rebounds..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#19 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:33 pm

76ciology wrote:“Shooting is easiest to improve”

Ok, why hasn’t their shooting improved yet.

Chill dude. They're 19 yrs old.

Many players don't become really good shooters until somewhere around age 23 or 24.

And Ausar is shooting 32% from 3 so far this season, which is a pretty big improvement from last season.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#20 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:07 pm

I will move them down, too. The athletecism is exciting but OTE is not developing them. I think a real NBA development program can, so I'm not super negative, but I don't see either top 5 anymore.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft