Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Re: Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee) 

Post#21 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:07 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:short guy, below the rim player (iow, he's no ja or donovan) who who is a subpar shooter. very good college basketball player, but short guys who can't shoot don't get taken in the 1st round. #sharifcooper. 2nd rounder. and imo, cooper was probably a better overall player than chandler.

Chandler is shooting 34% from three on reasonable volume, and I think he'd get more spot up opportunities in the NBA (also 71% from the line). He also has a weird two game sample pulling his freethrow percentage way down. His first game against LSU where he shot 6-10, and a game against Colorado where he shot 0-2. Take those out and he is more like an 80% freethrow shooter (82% in 10 home games, 50% in three away games). Chandler can also dunk in-game (see his very first highlight on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/splits/_/id/4432646/kennedy-chandler) though no, he is not Mitchell or Ja. Athletically he reminds me a mid of Jeff Teague during the tail end of his prime when he was no longer dunking in traffic and really just got a couple on breakaways, but his main advantage was just being fast (Teague was also a bit taller). Chandler, I think, is a much more heady player than Teague, though. I keep returning to the Conley comp although it's not perfect.

OTOH Cooper shot 23% from three (84% from the line which is usually a good indicator of whether a player can be a good NBA shooter, but just looking at his form it was clear he would not be). I like Cooper, but they are very different players, and I think Chandler has a more easily translatable game. I still have him late lottery - mid first, and expect him to be either a solid starter or high-end backup, a la Jalen Brunson.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:32 pm

71% from the line is not that good for his profile, should be in the 80s imo and I'd be more comfortable with him as a shooter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#23 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:48 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:short guy, below the rim player (iow, he's no ja or donovan) who who is a subpar shooter. very good college basketball player, but short guys who can't shoot don't get taken in the 1st round. #sharifcooper. 2nd rounder. and imo, cooper was probably a better overall player than chandler.

what makes you think he can't shoot?

Chandler is a better shooter and better defender than Cooper..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#24 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:21 pm

clyde21 wrote:71% from the line is not that good for his profile, should be in the 80s imo and I'd be more comfortable with him as a shooter

He's going to trend toward 80%. With as small of a sample as we have, two bad games is enough to really pull that percentage down.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft