Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Re: Johnny Davis - Wisconsin 

Post#121 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:53 pm

Xanadu wrote:Healthy Brandon Roy watch out everyone who is doubting him. Don't get why everyone is ignoring his proven ability to drastically improve from one season to the next. Despite having the biggest leap from anyone in college basketball suddenly he is what he is. Wouldn't be shocked if he comes in as a rookie with a totally unpredicted improvement as a shooter or playmaker. Undervalued in prospects is mental and emotional make up. Its more often the difference between which players become stars than athleticism or anything else that gets far more attention. Truth often is that if they have the desire and mental strength they will put in the time to become great no matter the limitations. Think Davis has that drive and desire in spades well remaining both coachable and moldable. That incredible rare combination with his already proven ability as leader on winning team makes me far more confident in him turning into a all star than his bust chance

He is missing the biggest piece that made Roy so good, that is the ability to run an offense. Davis in no way shape or form is good at running an offense when it comes to getting others involved. That's what made Roy so good from day 1, Roy had great basketball IQ and knew when he needed to create for himself or create for others. Davis only creates for himself.

I just think youre making a massive leap saying he's going to come in and have this unforeseen improvement in his perimeter shooting and playmaking, which just so happen to be his 2 biggest weaknesses.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,517

Post#122 » by 165bows » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:16 pm

Xanadu wrote:Still trying to give my guy the love he deserves. Check out this fantastic scouting report by the Pacers SB nation site.
https://www.indycornrows.com/2022/6/1/23145787/2022-nba-draft-analysis-johnny-davis

Seems like the big is really prominent in those pick and roll defenses imo.
Xanadu
Sixth Man
And1: 433

Post#123 » by Xanadu » Mon Jun 6, 2022 3:52 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Xanadu wrote:Healthy Brandon Roy watch out everyone who is doubting him. Don't get why everyone is ignoring his proven ability to drastically improve from one season to the next. Despite having the biggest leap from anyone in college basketball suddenly he is what he is. Wouldn't be shocked if he comes in as a rookie with a totally unpredicted improvement as a shooter or playmaker. Undervalued in prospects is mental and emotional make up. Its more often the difference between which players become stars than athleticism or anything else that gets far more attention. Truth often is that if they have the desire and mental strength they will put in the time to become great no matter the limitations. Think Davis has that drive and desire in spades well remaining both coachable and moldable. That incredible rare combination with his already proven ability as leader on winning team makes me far more confident in him turning into a all star than his bust chance

He is missing the biggest piece that made Roy so good, that is the ability to run an offense. Davis in no way shape or form is good at running an offense when it comes to getting others involved. That's what made Roy so good from day 1, Roy had great basketball IQ and knew when he needed to create for himself or create for others. Davis only creates for himself.

I just think youre making a massive leap saying he's going to come in and have this unforeseen improvement in his perimeter shooting and playmaking, which just so happen to be his 2 biggest weaknesses.

See I am not sure about his inability to run an offense as you are. Go look at the system and teammates he played with at Wisconsin. I agree Roy is only a real possibility if you have a unconditional love for Davis. I do I think his ball handling and playmaking skills are going to shock people at the next level. I really don't know if it's going to be just a improvement but rather him thriving in more space. Look at what he accomplished with sub par teams and a system not designed around pro style PnR.
Bucks fandom bringing me happiness still seems like a dream.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#124 » by TB » Mon Jun 6, 2022 6:43 pm

One of my favorite players in the draft. Reminds me a ton of Wesley Mathews only he's gotten to that level a couple years sooner. If he can translate some of his attacking and ability to get to the line into the NBA (Wes did this in college but not so much in NBA) he can be a better version of what Wes has been... and Wes has had great career.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,644

Post#125 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:45 pm

His defense looked terrible against the 6'5" Michael Devoe who dropped 33 against Wisconsin. Devoe is crafty and lacks athleticism.

SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#126 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:55 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:His defense looked terrible against the 6'5" Michael Devoe who dropped 33 against Wisconsin. Devoe is crafty and lacks athleticism.

didn't you already post this earlier in the thread and got your response?
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#127 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:19 pm

He's an excellent college basketball player but he's my prediction to be a bust in the NBA. His best comps are all like 25+ pounds bigger. Too small for his playing style, not athletic enough, not a good enough natural shooter to overcome it. I'll probably avoid him in the draft but based on his tape, he's legit good at basketball.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#128 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:27 pm

People will go as far as to compare him to the 6'7" 230 lb Jimmy Butler. He has more in common with non three point shooting scoring focused guards like Monta Ellis but without the exceptional athleticism that allowed Monta to have a long successful, although criticized by stat geeks, career.

King Ken
General Manager

Post#129 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:19 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:People will go as far as to compare him to the 6'7" 230 lb Jimmy Butler. He has more in common with non three point shooting scoring focused guards like Monta Ellis but without the exceptional athleticism that allowed Monta to have a long successful, although criticized by stat geeks, career.

He's an excellent ball player but the NBA is a game of inches and measurements. You can suck ass like Giannis and Anthony Edwards and end up a superstar or you can be a great college player like Culver and end up a bust.
LessEyeTest
Junior
And1: 651

Post#130 » by LessEyeTest » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:24 pm

One name that comes to mind when I see Johnny Davis is former Bucks star, Michael Redd. Both seem to have the same limitations coming into the league (shooting & dribbling). Obviously MR had a reputation as a sniper in the NBA, but coming into the league there were serious questions about his shooting ability so I'm not too worried about Davis becoming better with NBA trainers helping him. I think he'll be one of those guys just outside the cusp of making all-star game in his prime.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#131 » by King Ken » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:31 pm

LessEyeTest wrote:One name that comes to mind when I see Johnny Davis is former Bucks star, Michael Redd. Both seem to have the same limitations coming into the league (shooting & dribbling). Obviously MR had a reputation as a sniper in the NBA, but coming into the league there were serious questions about his shooting ability so I'm not too worried about Davis becoming better with NBA trainers helping him. I think he'll be one of those guys just outside the cusp of making all-star game in his prime.

That's who I compared him to, in fact, Davis is better at this stage but Redd is 25 pounds bigger. He can play that same style in the NBA. I remember having this convo about Culver. Can he play this bruising style in the NBA at this size, he couldn't.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#132 » by kobyz » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:11 pm

I see Mitch Richmond in him
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#133 » by 916fan » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:54 am

King Ken wrote:
LessEyeTest wrote:One name that comes to mind when I see Johnny Davis is former Bucks star, Michael Redd. Both seem to have the same limitations coming into the league (shooting & dribbling). Obviously MR had a reputation as a sniper in the NBA, but coming into the league there were serious questions about his shooting ability so I'm not too worried about Davis becoming better with NBA trainers helping him. I think he'll be one of those guys just outside the cusp of making all-star game in his prime.

That's who I compared him to, in fact, Davis is better at this stage but Redd is 25 pounds bigger. He can play that same style in the NBA. I remember having this convo about Culver. Can he play this bruising style in the NBA at this size, he couldn't.

As someone who saw Culver as a bust from a mile away, he's nowhere soft like Culver. Davis is a physical player on both ends. What he really needs is a legitimate NBA system in place to give him a defined role. Wisconsin fed-force him the ball and made him score. That won't be his role in the NBA. He'll start off as a guy who play off-ball and hits open 3pt shots, while playing good defense. As he gets more trust from his coaches, they'll allow him to start post up at mid-range, and showcasing more of his on-ball scoring.

This might be an odd statement, but I think Davis plays with the type of confidence that you rarely see from most guys.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#134 » by King Ken » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:47 pm

916fan wrote:
King Ken wrote:

As someone who saw Culver as a bust from a mile away, he's nowhere soft like Culver. Davis is a physical player on both ends. What he really needs is a legitimate NBA system in place to give him a defined role. Wisconsin fed-force him the ball and made him score. That won't be his role in the NBA. He'll start off as a guy who play off-ball and hits open 3pt shots, while playing good defense. As he gets more trust from his coaches, they'll allow him to start post up at mid-range, and showcasing more of his on-ball scoring.

This might be an odd statement, but I think Davis plays with the type of confidence that you rarely see from most guys.

I never seen soft attached to Culver at Texas Tech. I am not saying he's a lock to be a bust or a disappointment but even on players I loved as a prospect, size was one of the biggest things to not overlook as that really made me look bad on those takes.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#135 » by The-Power » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:12 pm

916fan wrote:As someone who saw Culver as a bust from a mile away

You had him 7th on your big board, hardly where you'd put an obvious bust.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#136 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:08 pm

Jordan Clarkson on offense (with a bit more passing), Gary Harris on defense. He is going to be very good.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
916fan
Pro Prospect

Post#137 » by 916fan » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:00 pm

The-Power wrote:
916fan wrote:As someone who saw Culver as a bust from a mile away

You had him 7th on your big board, hardly where you'd put an obvious bust.

Since you want to bring up old big boards, you should also provide the context.. which you would would've saw through my post search because i only have 1 page of "Culver" mentions.

Post#164 » by 916fan » Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:53 pm
I'm really not seeing Culver as a top 5 prospect. He's an on-ball SG who struggles to shoot the ball. He likes to attack and while his ball handling permits him, his lack of wiggle room doesn't. I don't see much of an in-between game and his shot creating is just average. I do like his defense and his awareness on that end at SG though.

If you guys see him as a top 5 prospect, what do you want out of him? I don't see the appeal.

Re: 2019 Draft Class

Post#3404 » by 916fan » Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:
despite Culver's bad shooting night, he's still producing. 15/10/5 with 2 steals. the fact that he can still contribute across the board like this while not shooting or scoring well is huge a positive.

Hunter has 27pts on him though. He's definitely not strong enough to defend SFs in the NBA. 5-22 is really bad. He played horrible today, not much production imo.

Post#3398 » by 916fan » Mon Apr 8, 2019 8:08 pm
Just not buying Culver as a top 5 pick. Not really sure what his role is in the NBA. He's an on-ball SG who can't shoot and lacks wiggle room.

Re: Jarrett Culver

Post#140 » by 916fan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:43 pm
Are people convinced that he can become a shooter in the NBA? His % are not promising.

Freshman year: 38.2% 3pt on 3.9 attempts. 64.8% FT on 2.9 attempts.
Sophomore year: 31.6% 3pt on 4.2 attempts. 70.9% FT on 5.4 attempts.

That shooting is so damn suspect.

Post#3413 » by 916fan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 am
I feel like people are only pumping Culver up because the other prospects aside from the top 3 look dull.

-DeAndre Hunter is the prototypical 3&D SF with a high floor but questionable ceiling.
-Garland only played in a few games(small sample size is helping him out) and is injured right now.
-Clarke is a high flyer, but his age (23 at the start of the season) and lack of size turn people off.
-Reddish has looked bad at Duke despite being hidden behind a generational talent and an elite prospect.
-Little looks like Stanley Johnson and hasn't been noticeable at UNC
-Romeo Langford is a SG who can't shoot
-Jaxson Hayes is the typical raw freshman C whose stock has risen up out of nowhere like Zach Collins did 2 years ago..except no March competition to test him.
-Coby White is a SG/PG combo with high IQ, but he's a Spurs-type of player with no flashiness.
-Sekou is your annual very raw overseas player who'll either get too hyped up, or not hyped up enough.
-Kevin Porter, SG/SF that didn't really stand out in his freshman year but shows the tools for the NBA..played on bad USC team
-Bol Bol, one of the most polarizing players, he actually does get discussed though. Exception out of these guys
-PJ Washington, good college player but he looks like a 2000s PF without the size and length.
-Tyler Herro...good shooter, but his poor athleticism gives everyone a pause
-Rui is a late bloomer with an ugly style of play..even for college basketball.

Taking a look at this, I can now see why people would rather talk about Culver than everyone else on this list. This isn't my draft profiles on these guys, but I really stand by what I said earlier in the season... This is a weak draft. At least in previous "weak drafts", we've had a bunch of boom or bust prospects(mostly busts), but their potential made it interesting. I really don't see those types of players in this draft aside from maybe Clarke and Bol Bol?

Post#262 » by 916fan » Tue Apr 9, 2019 11:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:
people are oddly hating on a player who's a consistent jumper away from being an elite prospect.
btw, last season he actually shot 38% from 3 on even more attempts per game, and he's at almost 70% at the line for his career. all signs point to him being a respectable shooter at the NBA level, which is all what he needs to be combined with the rest of his skill set offensively.
as for his performance the last two games, yea he should've played better, but was still able to contribute across the board despite not shooting well at all. don't put too much emphasis on this. last year's #1 overall pick was was shut down and bounced from the tournament in the first round, the previous #1 overall pick didn't even get close to making the tournament.

This is a funny comment. It's like saying Markelle Fultz is a consistent jumper away from being an elite prospect. Or a less extreme example, Marcus Smart was a consistent jumper away from being an elite prospect.

He doesn't have that jumper. Learning to shoot is not an easy task in the NBA. His shooting has regressed from last season. His shooting % from a year ago means absolutely 0 when his mechanics are bad. Stanley Johnson had averaged 37% from 3pt at Arizona. He's a career 29.3% 3pt shooter in the NBA.

Post#18 » by 916fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 am
This is pretty hard because I think multiple teams are trying to trade up for #4, but I don't know which teams. I also think Atlanta would love to move up. My trade predictions beforehand:
1. Pelicans trade #4 for the Bulls' #7 and a future FRP
2. Suns trade #6 for the Hawks' #8 and #17

A) Mock out the top 10, noting any traded picks:

1) New Orleans Pelicans: Zion Williamson
2) Memphis Grizzlies: Ja Morant
3) New York Knicks: RJ Barrett
4) Chicago Bulls (via NOP): Darius Garland
5) Cleveland Cavaliers: Jarett Cullver
6) Atlanta Hawks (via Phoenix) : DeAndre Hunter
7) New Orleans Pelicans (via Chicago): Jaxson Hayes
8) Phoenix Suns (via Atlanta): Coby White
9) Washington Wizards: Nassir Little
10) Atlanta Hawks: Sekou Doumbouya

B) How many 2019 first rounders will get traded on draft day?
5 separate 1st round draft trades

C) Who will be the biggest name player (not draftee) traded on draft day?
Mike Conley

D) Who will be the biggest steal? Who will be the biggest reach?
Biggest steal: Nickeil Alexander-Walker in 1st round, Daniel Gafford in 2nd round
Biggest reach: Jarrett Culver

Post#263 » by 916fan » Tue Apr 9, 2019 11:52 pm
He reminds me of Troy Brown Jr from last year's draft who went 15th overall. I would say Culver moves better than him in space, and he's more of a SG than a SF. #4 is still too high in a weak draft.

I think Ben Rubin released a good piece about him. The title is Draft Notes: Being realistic about Jarrett Culver
https://www.thestepien.com/2019/02/06/draft-notes-realistic-jarrett-culver/

Looks like it was published 2 months ago where hype on him really picked up.
916fan
Pro Prospect

Post#138 » by 916fan » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:07 pm

It's a bit crazy how on-point I was about most of the guys that I talked about. I was too low on Herro and a few other guys, but I was dead right about Culver. That Troy Brown Jr comparison is $$$ because both suck in the NBA.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#139 » by SelfishPlayer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:03 pm

He's a throwback SG

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#140 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:47 pm

Supercharged Josh Hart is the right and easy comparison.

I love his fit in OKC, a bit of a win-now pick and a defensive glue guy. Just need to be confident his shooting last year was a result of being miscast into a high usage scorer, his real role will be a excellent glue guy.

Return to NBA Draft