clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Re: Johnny Davis - Wisconsin 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:58 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
Disagreeing is how you end up losing every year with the worst takes and mocks (by far on this board).

it's a terrible post, no logic, taking an "RSCI failure" over Davis just because he was good in HS? that's a terrible take, be a man admit it and move on, no one is here for your temper tantrums.

Feel free to go back 4-5 years, look at my takes, compare them with yours. See who has better hit/miss chances. I don't how you are asking me to move on when you can't face the reality that your opinions on here are among the worst year after year.

i don't give two **** about your takes, you got out called out on a terrible post and now throwing a temper tantrum because you don't like it.

either back up this dumb logic with something tangible or walk away.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:59 pm

give us all the RSCI failures you'd take over Davis my guy, I'd love to see this list.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#23 » by getrichordie » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:40 pm

FWIW, I don't necessarily agree with the RSCI failure part, but I do not see Davis as a combo guard or the undersized part. I do think he probably is a career 6th man at best, and I'm not sold on that.

P.S. It is pretty classless to call other people's posts terrible. But I shouldn't expect any better from clyde...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:21 pm

getrichordie wrote:FWIW, I don't necessarily agree with the RSCI failure part, but I do not see Davis as a combo guard or the undersized part. I do think he probably is a career 6th man at best, and I'm not sold on that.

P.S. It is pretty classless to call other people's posts terrible. But I shouldn't expect any better from clyde...

he is a combo guard and is not really undersized at all at 6-5, so you're both still wrong. you followed up a terrible post with one of your own.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#25 » by babyjax13 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:20 am

Finally got to watch him - he's fun, athletic but a bit stiff looking sometimes (other times really explosive and fluid). Reminds me a little bit of young Alec Burks on offense, but is a better defender.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,147

Post#26 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:25 pm

getrichordie wrote:There are definitely holes in Johnny Davis' game. It starts with a lack of degree of athleticism for his position as well as a lack of playmaking chops. He's capable of making plays, but he has a score first mentality (that's his role) but there are questions about his ability to consistently create for himself and make plays for others at NBA level. He takes a lot of tough shots, and to his credit, he makes some tough ones, but definitely needs to make better decisions to be starter material, IMO. And then there's the defense. He works hard, but again, his athleticism holds him back from being more effective.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

athleticism-wise, he looks a lot like Devin Booker. Did you see the play vs Indiana where he showed good burst off the dribble and dunked on one of the country's best shot. blockers, Trayce Jackson-Davis?

not sure how many Wisconsin games you've seen, but i've seen all of them - i've been pretty impressed with his playmaking and defense. I wouldn't say he's elite at either but definitely wouldn't say either of them would be a hole in his game.

Side-note, does anyone know why Davis came off the bench this past weekend vs Nicholls State and only played 7 minutes?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#27 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:23 pm

He looks plenty athletic to me, I'm not sure where the idea comes from that he's not. I did see a few moments where he seemed a bit stiff, but other times he is really quite explosive.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
DingusBojangles
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#28 » by DingusBojangles » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Hal14 wrote:Side-note, does anyone know why Davis came off the bench this past weekend vs Nicholls State and only played 7 minutes?

He didn't - that was his twin brother Jordan. Johnny was out with a non-COVID illness.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,147

Post#29 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:42 pm

DingusBojangles wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Side-note, does anyone know why Davis came off the bench this past weekend vs Nicholls State and only played 7 minutes?

He didn't - that was his twin brother Jordan. Johnny was out with a non-COVID illness.

oh ok - thanks..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#30 » by getrichordie » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:50 am

clyde21 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:FWIW, I don't necessarily agree with the RSCI failure part, but I do not see Davis as a combo guard or the undersized part. I do think he probably is a career 6th man at best, and I'm not sold on that.

he is a combo guard and is not really undersized at all at 6-5, so you're both still wrong. you followed up a terrible post with one of your own.

Re-read. I didn't even say he was undersized. Tbh, probably shouldn't respond at this point.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#31 » by getrichordie » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:53 am

Hal14 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:There are definitely holes in Johnny Davis' game. It starts with a lack of degree of athleticism for his position as well as a lack of playmaking chops. He's capable of making plays, but he has a score first mentality (that's his role) but there are questions about his ability to consistently create for himself and make plays for others at NBA level. He takes a lot of tough shots, and to his credit, he makes some tough ones, but definitely needs to make better decisions to be starter material, IMO. And then there's the defense. He works hard, but again, his athleticism holds him back from being more effective.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

athleticism-wise, he looks a lot like Devin Booker. Did you see the play vs Indiana where he showed good burst off the dribble and dunked on one of the country's best shot. blockers, Trayce Jackson-Davis?

not sure how many Wisconsin games you've seen, but i've seen all of them - i've been pretty impressed with his playmaking and defense. I wouldn't say he's elite at either but definitely wouldn't say either of them would be a hole in his game.

Side-note, does anyone know why Davis came off the bench this past weekend vs Nicholls State and only played 7 minutes?

Yeah, definitely not saying he's not athletic. He just lacks a degree of athleticism (we can have nuance in discussions, right?) for my tastes when it comes to valuing him as a lotto-level player. His athleticism is more than fine for the college game, but I'm projecting what that might look like at NBA level.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#32 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:08 am

getrichordie wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yeah, definitely not saying he's not athletic. He just lacks a degree of athleticism (we can have nuance in discussions, right?) for my tastes when it comes to valuing him as a lotto-level player. His athleticism is more than fine for the college game, but I'm projecting what that might look like at NBA level.

I think there is something biomechanical happening with him, because there are moments where he looks like he's been shot out of a gun, and others where it seems like he wants to explode but is almost stuck on the ground (especially with any kind of contact). I'm wondering if maybe it's a lack of core strength, but I could not really say. But, I am very in on Davis. I think even at the NBA level he's going to be a plus athlete, he can shoot, and he can defend. He also has some of the "weird" shotmaking ability (a la Jordan Clarkson) where he can just make difficult midrange shots and score with his back to the basket if the situation calls for it. Not saying he is some surefire star, but I feel like odds of him being a solid starter are greater than 50/50.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:31 am

he's just that herky jerky type of player, not necessarily a smooth athlete but a plus athlete overall especially if he has space, and has enough handle/moves to make space of himself in tight quarters

don't think athleticism is an issue for him, if he fails in the NBA, it won't be because of his physical profile.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#34 » by 916fan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:07 am

Didn't realize there was a Johnny Davis thread, but I'm impressed by how good and disciplined he's been on defense. He does a good job moving his feet and staying in front. He does a good job of taking away space by getting wide. He does a good job reading passing lanes and making correct gambles. I see him as a + defender at the next level.

Comparing him to the SGs from last year's draft, Green and Bouknight, Davis looks a lot more ready on the defensive end than they were coming out of the draft.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#35 » by jezzerinho » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:44 pm

Athletically and movement-wise he reminds me a bit of Fultz. I find it hard to see him being more than a bit-part pro player without a big improvement in court vision and decision making. That's clearly possible. He has pretty special shooting touch and is a decent defender.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#36 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:09 am

What a performance tonight.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#37 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:11 am

ReasonablySober wrote:What a performance tonight.

one of the GOAT college performances ive seen
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#38 » by 916fan » Tue Jan 4, 2022 7:19 am

Johnny Davis is a top 5 prospect for me. I loved him before his 37pt game, but it just really solidified his scoring capabilities. I think he's got real upside to be a 2-way star in the league. But we do see a lot of guards who drop off on defense in the NBA to focus on offense. Either way, Davis is extremely talented. I'd comfortably take him top 5. He looks like he could be a franchise player.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#39 » by MemphisX » Tue Jan 4, 2022 7:51 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#40 » by The-Power » Tue Jan 4, 2022 12:23 pm

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing him outside the top 10 at this point. Could play himself into my top 5 down the road, too. The tools and motor are all there to work with.

Return to NBA Draft