Tari Eason

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Re: Tari Eason 

Post#101 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun May 8, 2022 11:31 pm

I'm a fan of Eason but I'm not sure about the whole 7'3" wingspan.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#102 » by MemphisX » Mon May 9, 2022 1:12 am

Chi town wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Good stuff on Eason. I love him for the Hornets. We don't have a player who sets the tone on defense, and it seems Eason has the potential to do that early in his career like Herb Jones. Scoring 25 per 36 doesn't hurt either. He should he able to stay on the floor for a team hunting the playoffs. We will be picking 13 and I've settled on him for fit, upside and floor. His game demonstrates all three. I'm not going to get picky. He's very strong with the ball in his hands so the size and strength of NBA defenders won't shake him.

Eason and Bridges with Melo would be lots of fun.

Melo/Dyson Daniels/Bridges/Eason would be fun as hell.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#103 » by CptCrunch » Mon May 9, 2022 2:33 am

Eason's span has been listed at 6'9", 7', 7'3" in different places. This is a outrageous in terms of inconsistency, a whole 6 inches longer in max than min.

Pros: workable shot, competent self creator, plus defender, positive signals on stl/blk rates.

Cons: 21 on draft night, meaning a junior aged sophmore, crappy signals on ast/tov rates.

Too much uncertainty with him. Could literally amount to nothing in the NBA. Drafting him like a Kawhi type prospect seems like a horrible idea anywhere near top 10.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#104 » by clyde21 » Mon May 9, 2022 3:03 am

CptCrunch wrote:Eason's span has been listed at 6'9", 7', 7'3" in different places. This is a outrageous in terms of inconsistency, a whole 6 inches longer in max than min.

Pros: workable shot, competent self creator, plus defender, positive signals on stl/blk rates.

Cons: 21 on draft night, meaning a junior aged sophmore, crappy signals on ast/tov rates.

Too much uncertainty with him. Could literally amount to nothing in the NBA. Drafting him like a Kawhi type prospect seems like a horrible idea anywhere near top 10.

drafting anyone with the notion that he'll have a Kawhi-like trajectory in the NBA is a huge reach, but he has + indicators everywhere, you mentioned stl/blk, FTA rate, FT%, rebounding rate, net rating, did it in a top athletic conference and plays a premium position with two-way potential.

who are the 10 guys you're taking over Eason in this class at this point? seems like a pretty decent bet in the top10 to me to be honest outside like the top 5 or even 3 guys.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#105 » by Catchall » Mon May 9, 2022 3:47 am

Eason is a better prospect than Jaylen Brown, tbh. He's bigger, shoots better and has better change of direction.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#106 » by MemphisX » Mon May 9, 2022 3:58 am

clyde21 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:Eason's span has been listed at 6'9", 7', 7'3" in different places. This is a outrageous in terms of inconsistency, a whole 6 inches longer in max than min.

drafting anyone with the notion that he'll have a Kawhi-like trajectory in the NBA is a huge reach, but he has + indicators everywhere, you mentioned stl/blk, FTA rate, FT%, rebounding rate, net rating, did it in a top athletic conference and plays a premium position with two-way potential.

who are the 10 guys you're taking over Eason in this class at this point? seems like a pretty decent bet in the top10 to me to be honest outside like the top 5 or even 3 guys.

Well, people are looking for reasons NOT to draft guys now. Only thing that would give me pause on Eason would be off the court stuff I am not privy to knowing. On the court, he looks every bit the part of a top 10ish pick.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#107 » by CptCrunch » Mon May 9, 2022 4:13 am

My main point is that Tari Eason's comp is Kawhi light. Because that is the entire extent of his candidacy as a NBA prospect.

Drafting players like Kawhi and Giannis is basically akin to gambling from a statistical perspective. There is so much to player developmental that cannot be captured or predicated by statistical scouting (and light film watching). Yet year after year, people advocate for raw toosly players like Eason while role playing captain hindsight, extolling their infinite foresight (hindsight) in calling future (super)stars pre-draft.

XXX players drafted before Poole/Jokic? Haw!?!?!
How did Giannis go #15?
7" wingspan wing who jumps high, defends well, lotto pick

Without fail, every year.

Anyways Eason isn't terrible, but there is nothing from him that stands out. Drafting him high is a decision that needs to be made from the mental evaluation, background checking, hander investigations, interview components.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#108 » by clyde21 » Mon May 9, 2022 4:23 am

CptCrunch wrote:My main point is that Tari Eason's comp is Kawhi light. Because that is the entire extent of his candidacy as a NBA prospect.

huh? his candidacy as a prospect has nothing to do with Kawhi. it's about him playing a high-impact premium position in the NBA with a + physical profile that can potentially develop into a two-way starter for you.

the Kawhi comps at this point don't extend beyond position, role and physical profile.

again, who are the 10+ guys you're taking over him at this point? give us that list.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#109 » by clyde21 » Mon May 9, 2022 4:29 am

also, it's odd that you think Eason, one of the most productive players in college bball in one of the top conferences is a gamble, but not your failed top RSCI prospects.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#110 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon May 9, 2022 6:09 am

Catchall wrote: Eason is a better prospect than Jaylen Brown, tbh. He's bigger, shoots better and has better change of direction.

No. You can check my post history, I was high on Jaylen Brown. Jaylen Brown and Zach Lavine looked like can't miss prospects to me. Eason plays power forward and center in college. He's also a BENCH PLAYER! I feel better about him than I did Josh Jackson.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#111 » by Catchall » Mon May 9, 2022 6:32 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Catchall wrote: Eason is a better prospect than Jaylen Brown, tbh. He's bigger, shoots better and has better change of direction.

No. You can check my post history, I was high on Jaylen Brown. Jaylen Brown and Zach Lavine looked like can't miss prospects to me. Eason plays power forward and center in college. He's also a BENCH PLAYER! I feel better about him than I did Josh Jackson.

When Jaylen Brown came into the league he was shooting 29% from 3pt and 65% on FTs. He didn't have an advanced handle or much of a mid-range game. He also came out of Cal, which wasn't a great program, and the PAC12 wasn't as strong as the SEC. Brown was mostly an athlete with potential. Tari's advanced stats are better virtually across the board.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#112 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon May 9, 2022 7:39 am

He's a cross between Middleton and Mikal. I think some team late lottery is going to really luck out with him. CHA could be a great landing spot for him
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#113 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon May 9, 2022 8:05 am

Catchall wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

When Jaylen Brown came into the league he was shooting 29% from 3pt and 65% on FTs. He didn't have an advanced handle or much of a mid-range game. He also came out of Cal, which wasn't a great program, and the PAC12 wasn't as strong as the SEC. Brown was mostly an athlete with potential. Tari's advanced stats are better virtually across the board.

Brown went to Cal partially for the academics. He absolutely was a top high school recruit. Do you realize that Eason isn't a freshman? What school did he attend before LSU? He is a BENCH player!

EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#114 » by EMG518 » Mon May 9, 2022 10:45 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Catchall wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Brown went to Cal partially for the academics. He absolutely was a top high school recruit. Do you realize that Eason isn't a freshman? What school did he attend before LSU? He is a BENCH player!

I personally thought Jalen Brown was going #1 before he stepped on the court for college.

Super atheltic, shifty, body control, handle, size.
Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 141

Post#115 » by Bulldog23 » Mon May 9, 2022 12:38 pm

Agreed..his wingspan is all over the place. If it is 7’3 he is in the top 10 and possibly top 5. Kwahi has a 7’3 wingspan and hands as big as Shak. Wow..looking forward to official measurements.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#116 » by rpa » Mon May 9, 2022 6:18 pm

I honestly don't get how anyone has him outside the top 8 or 9 picks. How many wings get drafted on "3&D" when they either can't shoot or can't defend (but have the body/athleticism for it)? Here's a guy with great measurables, a high end defensive motor, AND just shot 36%/80% (3pt/FT) with enough attempts that you can tell it's not a fluke.

For my Kings I've got him no lower than #7 and possibly as high as #4.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,655

Post#117 » by toooskies » Tue May 10, 2022 8:43 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Catchall wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Eason only came off the bench because... the coaches decided on it. (My guess is they had promises to other players to start them, but that's just a guess.) But he played more minutes than two starters. He was the team's leading scorer. Highest usage. Closed games. Made 1st team all-SEC. This guy is a bench player the way Herro is a bench player in Miami.

In fact, he was one of the most productive players in the NCAA, finishing third in BPM (top 10 both offensive and defensive), fourth in PER. He ranked in the top 10 in the conference in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, FG%, FT%, FTAs, offensive win shares, defensive win shares, offensive rating, and defensive rating.

He definitely produced in a way you want to see from a 21 year old.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#118 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue May 10, 2022 8:54 pm

toooskies wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Eason only came off the bench because... the coaches decided on it. (My guess is they had promises to other players to start them, but that's just a guess.) But he played more minutes than two starters. He was the team's leading scorer. Highest usage. Closed games. Made 1st team all-SEC. This guy is a bench player the way Herro is a bench player in Miami.

In fact, he was one of the most productive players in the NCAA, finishing third in BPM (top 10 both offensive and defensive), fourth in PER. He ranked in the top 10 in the conference in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, FG%, FT%, FTAs, offensive win shares, defensive win shares, offensive rating, and defensive rating.

You would need a college example there. Miami benefits by bringing Herro off the bench because it reduces the max contract he will receive. What draft picks were selected as sophomore bench players?

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#119 » by Hal14 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:47 pm

Catchall wrote:Eason is a better prospect than Jaylen Brown, tbh. He's bigger, shoots better and has better change of direction.

Eason is also 2 yrs older than jaylen when they entered the draft.

They play different positions too..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#120 » by tester551 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:49 pm

toooskies wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Catchall wrote:

I'll add on to this...
By most reports, Tari is very much a team player. He's not the type that really cares if he starts or not - just what ever is best for the team. He's an extremely hard worker & just loves to play the game. He's the type of player I would LOVE to have on my team.

Return to NBA Draft