Analyst
And1: 3,579

Re: 2023 NBA Draft 

Post#121 » by MemphisX » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:12 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Love Big O - probably got offered some real $ to stay back

Dumb move. He easily coulda made that back getting to his second contract faster.

Really dumb, because draft stock in the 2nd round after being NPOY just means your draft stock isn't going to get higher.

Perhaps he is just a big fan of college lifestyle.

He is making $2+ million in NIL money. He is a king in Kentucky.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,444

Post#122 » by Big J » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:34 pm

MemphisX wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
Big J wrote:
Dumb move. He easily coulda made that back getting to his second contract faster.

Really dumb, because draft stock in the 2nd round after being NPOY just means your draft stock isn't going to get higher.

2 million is nothing these days. Tech bro's make that.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,512

Post#123 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:13 pm

Big J wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:

Okay he’s making $2M+ and is the man on campus. There is value in that especially since his stock isn’t going to change
Big J
General Manager

Post#124 » by Big J » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:30 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

Okay he’s making $2M+ and is the man on campus. There is value in that especially since his stock isn’t going to change

Except now he has to wait another year before he gets to his 2nd contract in the NBA, which is when they make the big bucks.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#125 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:34 pm

Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Except now he has to wait another year before he gets to his 2nd contract in the NBA, which is when they make the big bucks.

Well maybe he wants to enjoy the college experience? That was my only point. You keep bringing up random points for no reason
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,887

Post#126 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:54 pm

Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:

What if he's not good enough to get a second contract? Why are you assuming anything here? Not all these guys will play longer than a handful of years in the NBA. Especially 2nd round picks.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Big J
General Manager

Post#127 » by Big J » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:00 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

What if he's not good enough to get a second contract? Why are you assuming anything here? Not all these guys will play longer than a handful of years in the NBA. Especially 2nd round picks.

Then earn that **** in Europe.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#128 » by azcatz11 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:08 am

Big J wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
Big J wrote:

Then earn that **** in Europe.

Dude what are you talking about? Tech bros, Europe wtf. The dude wants to stay in school and make a lot of money. If you don’t think $2m is a lot than good on you. His draft position isn’t changing much
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#129 » by MemphisX » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:37 am

Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:

The lifetime value of winning a Title at Kentucky is worth a lot my man. Likely more than he will make playing basketball.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Big J
General Manager

Post#130 » by Big J » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:31 pm

MemphisX wrote:
Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

The lifetime value of winning a Title at Kentucky is worth a lot my man. Likely more than he will make playing basketball.

These kids don't care about that stuff as much as fans do. They just care about putting food on their families plates.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#131 » by azcatz11 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:38 pm

Big J wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
Big J wrote:

These kids don't care about that stuff as much as fans do. They just care about putting food on their families plates.

He's still making $2M+ though next year - that's a lot of money if you want to admit it or not.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#132 » by MemphisX » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:14 pm

Big J wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
Big J wrote:

Lifetime value is bankable. You really do not understand what college alumni do for beloved athletes.
stoolweieser
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#133 » by stoolweieser » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:37 am

Big J wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
Big J wrote:

I’m a UNC fan and the former players on the inside carolina podcast talk about what it means to have a ring compared to the alumni that don’t. So i wouldn’t say they don’t care
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#134 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:54 pm

Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:

bruh, you realize the majority of players drafted don't get a second contract? you keep repeating this because you saw a few of us saying it here, but this doesn't apply to 2nd rounders.
Big J
General Manager

Post#135 » by Big J » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:18 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

bruh, you realize the majority of players drafted don't get a second contract? you keep repeating this because you saw a few of us saying it here, but this doesn't apply to 2nd rounders.

Because I saw a few of us saying it here? lol, you think way too highly of yourself man.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#136 » by RookieStar » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:57 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Also, if I may add... the AVERAGE nba career is like 5years only. So for 1st rounders, that like their rookie contract only plus maybe an extension. Thus safe to say, a LOT of players don't get 2nd contracts.

I mean, this is 21-22 season right? So let's look at the 2016 first round draft to see how many of them are still playing?
Big J
General Manager

Post#137 » by Big J » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:00 pm

RookieStar wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Also, if I may add... the AVERAGE nba career is like 5years only. So for 1st rounders, that like their rookie contract only plus maybe an extension. Thus safe to say, a LOT of players don't get 2nd contracts.

I mean, this is 21-22 season right? So let's look at the 2016 first round draft to see how many of them are still playing?

5 years also probably includes guys who get 10 day contracts and never see the league again after that. It skews the numbers off.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#138 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:45 pm

Big J wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

5 years also probably includes guys who get 10 day contracts and never see the league again after that. It skews the numbers off.

I am not understanding the point here. Is it that you are counting the 10-day as a second contract? We can just exclude those ...

Players that did not get a contract beyond the years their rookie contract would have lasted, or who did not get a second contract at all (so this includes first round picks whose team options did not get picked up and who did not get signed after a 'make-good' contract).

1st round:
1. Georgios Papagianis
2. Guerschon Yabusele
3. Wade Baldwin
4. Malachi Richardson
5. Ante Zizic
6. Brice Johnson
7. Skal Labisierre

2nd round:
19 players

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#139 » by RookieStar » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:49 pm

Big J wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Huh? I don't get it.. are you not advocating Oscar enter the draft right away so he can get his 2nd contract? And wherein we argue that 2nd contracts aren't a sure thing to 1st rounders, how much more to 2nd rounders?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#140 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:31 pm

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Because I saw a few of us saying it here? lol, you think way too highly of yourself man.

whether Big O leaves this year or next year is not gonna make a huge difference in his stock, I usually advocate for players to leave as early as possible, but clearly he got offered a monstrous deal to stay back given that he didn't even bother testing the waters to see what his status is.

not really sure what the issue here is.

Return to NBA Draft