Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,584

Re: Shaedon Sharpe - Kentucky 

Post#281 » by Duke4life831 » Wed May 18, 2022 5:15 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
The Moose wrote:Sharpe 6’5.25 in shoes , 6’11.5 wingspan at the combine . That height is not ideal

very good length overall, however. i think that's a win for him.

Ill eat some crow, I thought his wingspan would be closer to 6'10 than 7'. 6'5 and a 6'11 wingspan definitely doesnt hurt any guards draft stock.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#282 » by CptCrunch » Wed May 18, 2022 5:28 pm

That's a 2 guard height. 6'4" without shoes isn't a SF in the NBA ever.

Anyone notice a narrative recently trying to cast Sharpe as a SG/SF when his value lies being a PG. If he isn't a PG, he isn't that great of a prospect.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,924

Post#283 » by tmorgan » Wed May 18, 2022 5:58 pm

Did anyone ever think Sharpe was a PG tho?

Once again, without college tape and experience, it’s hard. There aren’t that many “true PG” prospects in high school. Top guys just do what they want, and Sharpe mostly did.

I do think he has a chance to defend the point position with work put in. Offensively, though, he looks like a scorer.

More than anything, I’m glad he got measured at the combine. Less mystery, even if it’s just a little, seems like a positive here.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#284 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed May 18, 2022 7:38 pm

CptCrunch wrote:That's a 2 guard height. 6'4" without shoes isn't a SF in the NBA ever.

Anyone notice a narrative recently trying to cast Sharpe as a SG/SF when his value lies being a PG. If he isn't a PG, he isn't that great of a prospect.

i disagree. his standing reach of 8'.75 compares well with many of the wings from this draft and past drafts and he has some thickness to his body. i think he can absolutely defend SFs at that size.
LSandersBong
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#285 » by LSandersBong » Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 pm

Sharpe is becoming so over-rated, its ridiculous. I think anywhere from 5-10 is an acceptable draft range, he's obviously a SG through and through not a SF or a PG, he played like 12 EYBL games where he balled out, that fueled his hype. I think over those and his high school career he shot 27% from 3 and was a 64% free throw shooter. He has got some good length and can make some defensive plays but no footage suggests that he will be an elite defender. I have Ivey at 4 and I just cant understand why it feels the majority are rating Sharpe over Ivey. Ivey all though 15 months older and an inch shorter is faster, more athletic, a more known and improving 3 ball and all though will probably be a SG at the next level could easily see him as a PG as well
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#286 » by FloridaMan78 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:17 pm

LSandersBong wrote:Sharpe is becoming so over-rated, its ridiculous. I think anywhere from 5-10 is an acceptable draft range, he's obviously a SG through and through not a SF or a PG, he played like 12 EYBL games where he balled out, that fueled his hype. I think over those and his high school career he shot 27% from 3 and was a 64% free throw shooter. He has got some good length and can make some defensive plays but no footage suggests that he will be an elite defender. I have Ivey at 4 and I just cant understand why it feels the majority are rating Sharpe over Ivey. Ivey all though 15 months older and an inch shorter is faster, more athletic, a more known and improving 3 ball and all though will probably be a SG at the next level could easily see him as a PG as well

Shhhhh. Let the hype train chug along. Let the Kings take him at 4 so my Pistons can take Ivey at 5.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#287 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed May 18, 2022 8:19 pm

LSandersBong wrote:Sharpe is becoming so over-rated, its ridiculous. I think anywhere from 5-10 is an acceptable draft range, he's obviously a SG through and through not a SF or a PG, he played like 12 EYBL games where he balled out, that fueled his hype. I think over those and his high school career he shot 27% from 3 and was a 64% free throw shooter. He has got some good length and can make some defensive plays but no footage suggests that he will be an elite defender. I have Ivey at 4 and I just cant understand why it feels the majority are rating Sharpe over Ivey. Ivey all though 15 months older and an inch shorter is faster, more athletic, a more known and improving 3 ball and all though will probably be a SG at the next level could easily see him as a PG as well

there is definitely a lack of data and real game footage against good competition surrounding sharpe - but that doesn't mean he's becoming overrated, it just means we have no damn clue. dude could be zhaire smith or he could be mj. he's just a mystery all together. i have no idea where you draft that guy. i tend to agree that he's too risky to take in the top 5, but you have to take him in the top 8. but if you're picking 4th or 5th and you pass on him and he becomes a star he's the type of guy that gets you fired.
LSandersBong
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#288 » by LSandersBong » Wed May 18, 2022 9:00 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:

there is definitely a lack of data and real game footage against good competition surrounding sharpe - but that doesn't mean he's becoming overrated, it just means we have no damn clue. dude could be zhaire smith or he could be mj. he's just a mystery all together. i have no idea where you draft that guy. i tend to agree that he's too risky to take in the top 5, but you have to take him in the top 8. but if you're picking 4th or 5th and you pass on him and he becomes a star he's the type of guy that gets you fired.

I agree, he is most definitely a mystery with high potential i've just seen posts recently saying he should be picked first or 2nd which I feel is most definitely over rated and even if he's picked at 4 and busts (which would be such a kings move lol) and say Ivey or anyone picked after has an all star type career, that will probably be more likely a fireable offence . Its like in 2013 saying Giannis should of been picked 1st where we only had footage of greek 2nd division basketball and that Anthony Bennett should of been picked 10th, everything can be said in hindshight and the draft is such a crap shoot at times. I actually have him ranked 8th exactly as well lol
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#289 » by buzzkilloton » Thu May 19, 2022 1:16 am

Him and Cade about to be the best backcourt in the NBA.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,665

Post#290 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu May 19, 2022 1:35 am

Yeah, I wouldn't reach on Sharpe in the top 5. His measurements preclude him from projecting to have the positional versatility to defend every small forward. So for me that makes him a full time guard, okay well his tape is unimpressive for a guard going against high school competition that's in conversation for being a top draft pick. His play making ability is never mentioned by anyone. It's not part of his highlight package.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#291 » by Wizop » Thu May 19, 2022 8:48 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't reach on Sharpe in the top 5.

I have the top 5 in no particular order as Smith, Banchero, Holmgren, Ivey, and Murray. that makes Sharpe the leader in the clubhouse for the Pacers at 6. of course, workouts could change everything.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#292 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu May 19, 2022 10:31 pm

Wizop wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't reach on Sharpe in the top 5.

I have the top 5 in no particular order as Smith, Banchero, Holmgren, Ivey, and Murray. that makes Sharpe the leader in the clubhouse for the Pacers at 6. of course, workouts could change everything.

Keegan Murray is weird, he'll be 22 in August, but he has only two seasons of college experience. Only two years to evaluate a senior aged prospect.

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#293 » by CptCrunch » Thu May 19, 2022 11:06 pm

I've soured on Sharpe now learning that he isn't a PG (but what can we learn about him with no film).

Good athlete with tools != good defender or else the likes of Josh Jackson and Javale McGee would be DPOYs. It is correctly stated above that there is no evidence whatever so ever that Sharpe is a plus defender.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#294 » by Wizop » Thu May 19, 2022 11:10 pm

CptCrunch wrote:I've soured on Sharpe now learning that he isn't a PG

Fine with Pacers at 6. We want someone to play with Haliburton.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#295 » by mattao313 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:53 pm

CptCrunch wrote:I've soured on Sharpe now learning that he isn't a PG (but what can we learn about him with no film).

Good athlete with tools != good defender or else the likes of Josh Jackson and Javale McGee would be DPOYs. It is correctly stated above that there is no evidence whatever so ever that Sharpe is a plus defender.
Of the little I've seen of his highschool stuff nothing about his game wows me.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#296 » by K_chile22 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:40 am

I'm really worried about the first step. If he succeeds he's going to be a tough shot maker not a space creator
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#297 » by The Moose » Fri May 20, 2022 12:49 am

;ab_channel=TeaAndRockets

this is a very good analysis on his hs tape
skip to 15:00 for the defensive tape, it wasnt good
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#298 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri May 20, 2022 1:34 am

K_chile22 wrote:I'm really worried about the first step. If he succeeds he's going to be a tough shot maker not a space creator

I like that analysis and totally agree. But we have seen Harden and Brandon Roy create a ton of space with their signature moves. He may become better than them, but he's overvalued right now based upon pure athletic prowess, which I don't view as great. His reminds me of DeShawn Stevenson coming out of high school. The following website compared him to Michael Jordan.
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/deshawn-stevenson/

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#299 » by buzzkilloton » Fri May 20, 2022 1:59 am

The Moose wrote:
this is a very good analysis on his hs tape
skip to 15:00 for the defensive tape, it wasnt good

That was a good video. Its pretty common for these guards in AAU not to dial it on defense I'm not to worried about that. Good coaching and being around players who grind hard on defense like Cade can turn that on.

The shot making is legit. The question will be the handle. Hes a good athlete but he doesnt have a fast first step. He does makes those long strides so after the first step he covers some ground.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,615

Post#300 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 20, 2022 12:22 pm

Can't believe he didn't wanna show off that 49" vertical at the combine

Return to NBA Draft