First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Re: Shaedon Sharpe - Kentucky 

Post#341 » by First Step » Fri May 27, 2022 4:43 am

ConSarnit wrote:
First Step wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Do HS kids even bust more than college players, or are the expectations just way higher? Almost everyone falls short of what their player comparison/upside is on basically every site, except for like 5-10 guys in a given draft it seems.
It comes down to decision making. Would you rather make a decision with more or less information? This doesn’t mean that high school players who go straight to the NBA won’t become stars — they could. But, you’re making the selection with a lot more uncertainty, which increases the risk.

If you draft a high schooler your odds of hitting (historically) are much higher than from college. 41 players have been drafted straight from high school. At least 25 have been legit NBA players. 10 have been all-stars.

You’re comparing very different data sets. Most players drafted in the second round would come from colleges. So it’s not a good comparison.

Look up decision theory if you’d like to learn more.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#342 » by deepeeenn » Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 pm

His defense is really bad. That hoop intellect video really shows he doesn’t put any effort in, primarily 1v1. His best defensive plays come in playing passing lanes and weak side blocks. The blocks say very little to me, playing the passing lanes says he might get out of position often trying to go for steals. I like his offensive upside but I’d also like to see in in more rounded team concept. Too ISO heavy.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#343 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat May 28, 2022 5:02 pm

First Step wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
First Step wrote:It comes down to decision making. Would you rather make a decision with more or less information? This doesn’t mean that high school players who go straight to the NBA won’t become stars — they could. But, you’re making the selection with a lot more uncertainty, which increases the risk.

If you draft a high schooler your odds of hitting (historically) are much higher than from college. 41 players have been drafted straight from high school. At least 25 have been legit NBA players. 10 have been all-stars.

You’re comparing very different data sets. Most players drafted in the second round would come from colleges. So it’s not a good comparison.

Look up decision theory if you’d like to learn more.

The second round is still part of the NBA draft.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#344 » by clyde21 » Sat May 28, 2022 5:30 pm

the reason why straight from HS has a better success rate if because majority of straight from HS players have been top tier prospects. lower tier prospects from HS never went straight to NBA.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#345 » by LofJ » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:40 pm

Sharpe worked out for the Hornets yesterday. That either means his agent was told they're exploring trading up for him or his draft range is wider than most think it is. What do you guys think? Is he a lock for the top 8? Or could he fall past that?

Read on Twitter

Given his recruiting pedigree I'm thinking a trade up with Sacramento, Indiana, or Portland is being discussed.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#346 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:03 pm

LofJ wrote:
Given his recruiting pedigree I'm thinking a trade up with Sacramento, Indiana, or Portland is being discussed.

Portland would be my guess. Their pick has been reported to be in play and I think the Kings and Pacers are happy with their options.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#347 » by The-Power » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:08 pm

LofJ wrote:Sharpe worked out for the Hornets yesterday. That either means his agent was told they're exploring trading up for him or his draft range is wider than most think it is. What do you guys think? Is he a lock for the top 8? Or could he fall past that?

I wouldn't expect him to be available at #13 but I don't think he's necessarily a lock for the top 8 if his workouts and interviews are underwhelming. With him, those parts of the process are everything – but we won't know until the draft comes around how he fared. So he could be a lock already but without insider information to confirm, I wouldn't bet my life on it.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#348 » by The Moose » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:50 am

Sharpe has had both a group and solo workout for Detroit
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#349 » by MemphisX » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:41 pm

The Moose wrote:Sharpe has had both a group and solo workout for Detroit

There goes the narrative that he is scared to show his game.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#350 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:47 pm

MemphisX wrote:
The Moose wrote:Sharpe has had both a group and solo workout for Detroit

There goes the narrative that he is scared to show his game.

I hope he flies from Detroit to Indianapolis.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,073
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#351 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:32 am

Even from HS highlights, which usually makes everyone look like a god, he looks like his drives get cut off and he's forced into step back or pull up jumpers a LOT for someone who is supposedly a supreme athlete. His finishes with dunks and layups are very nice, but also almost come exclusively off the ball as a finisher and such.

Seems way more like a Tyreke Evans kind of athlete(without the insane strength) as opposed to the lightning fast guys he is compared to.

I'm cautious about him, but would still be real happy if he fell to #8 either as our pick, or as trade bait.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#352 » by MemphisX » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:53 am

Sharpe was just an insane shot maker for someone his age. Most are really over thinking this one. I have him #1 in this class. Mostly because the class is not heavy with potential stars. Also because of his positional scarcity.

I think he is going to look phenomenal in an off ball role. He should grow into a better on ball creator over the years even with the warts he has right now.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#353 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:04 pm

LofJ wrote:Sharpe worked out for the Hornets yesterday. That either means his agent was told they're exploring trading up for him or his draft range is wider than most think it is. What do you guys think? Is he a lock for the top 8? Or could he fall past that?

Read on Twitter

His agent would be doing him a disservice if he didn't work out for all the lotto teams. His range is anywhere from 4-14. Kid hasn't played organized ball in 18 months, take no chances and work out for everyone.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,817

Post#354 » by Los_29 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:27 pm

Los_29 wrote:Shaedon Sharpe is killing his draft stock just by being interviewed.

Shaedon Sharpe Q&A with Spurs
Sharpe had a 1 on 1 workout with the Spurs. No footage of workout but here's the Q&A tidbits:

Jeff: You worked out with the Spurs ahead of the NBA Draft. How was that?

Shaedon: Well, the workout was a one-on-one workout. So it was just really me there at the workout. It was really good.

Jeff: What kind of feedback did you receive from the Spurs?

Shaedon: The feedback was solid!

Jeff: What are your thoughts on possibly joining the team if you get picked by the Spurs?

Shaedon: If I play with them and end up in San Antonio, I think it will be a good team. I feel like I can really help them by scoring the ball and playing defense.

Jeff: Is there a player on the Spurs roster you'd like to play with?

Shaedon: No not really. I see it just as a place where I can just showcase myself and really play. Get after it!

Read on Twitter

I can't believe how bad his attitude is.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,817

Post#355 » by Los_29 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:28 pm

I don't think he's doing himself any favours here. He's already relatively unknown and his attitude is a massive red flag. It will be interesting to see if he drops in the draft because of this.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#356 » by CptCrunch » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:10 pm

At this point, I would just shut him down.

The damage has been done.

The mystique of the unknown RSCI #1 player is gone.

Unless he is actually a baller (after not having played competitive basketball for a year), he would just drop from workouts and his disastrous interview skills.

Save his draft stock, still good enough to go lottery. No idea if where this dude goes if he bombs every interview and can't separate himself from guards int he 8-20 range in group workouts (assuming accurate 'intel').
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,651

Post#357 » by TroyD92 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:15 pm

Hope he falls to the Bucks at 24 lol
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#358 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:41 pm

Interviews are not the end all be all but jesus christ he is bad. Seems like he is both arrogant and about to fall asleep.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#359 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16 am

I don't think it should be surprising he doesn't look great in workouts. He's younger than all the other guys and missed out on a year of development, which is concerning but has always been the case
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#360 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:11 am

I don't think that interviews within two months of the draft count more than character reports from this guy's entire basketball past prior to the interviews. He has played for Team Canada. I'm certain his character is well known to execs.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.

Return to NBA Draft