Patrick Baldwin Jr.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Re: Patrick Baldwin Jr. 

Post#21 » by MemphisX » Sun May 22, 2022 12:23 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:Patrick Baldwin Jr is simply the modern version of the New York City area high school player. NYC area high school players years ago were more highly touted than they deserved to be simply because they played in a city with such a large and influential media. Today these same high school players exist, they are just hyped by social media instead. Once these guys leave high school they get exposed.

Baldwin has actually performed well with and against some of the top guys in this draft. He was not simply hype.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,675

Post#22 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun May 22, 2022 12:24 am

MemphisX wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:Patrick Baldwin Jr is simply the modern version of the New York City area high school player. NYC area high school players years ago were more highly touted than they deserved to be simply because they played in a city with such a large and influential media. Today these same high school players exist, they are just hyped by social media instead. Once these guys leave high school they get exposed.

Baldwin has actually performed well with and against some of the top guys in this draft. He was not simply hype.

Okay...
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#23 » by EvanZ » Sun May 22, 2022 3:17 am

azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:PBJ put up all time bad numbers at the combine. I believe his vertical is less than 30 inches. He was also the slowest in multiple drills.

His measurements were crazy in a good way though. I think people are just misunderstanding his archetype completely. He went from being an incredibly bad version of KD (eg Kevin Knox) to possibly having a Kevon Looney type career. Could actually end up being quite valuable as a 5 down the road, and maybe even a floor spacing one. Just a thought.

Are you joking around or are you serious?

So your point is - by showing completely horribly in the drills teams will be forced to use him at the 5? And he could excel at the 5?

Talk about next level thinking lol

I’m being 100% serious. Isn’t it obvious he’s not the “big wing” people thought? His only path forward is at the 4 or 5. And he has the size for it clearly. A lot like Kevin Looney’s career arc. He was seen as a star wing coming up but in his case injuries basically sapped all his athleticism (which wasn’t great to begin with). The Warriors turned Looney who has center length into…wait for it…a center. And it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#24 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:26 am

EvanZ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
His measurements were crazy in a good way though. I think people are just misunderstanding his archetype completely. He went from being an incredibly bad version of KD (eg Kevin Knox) to possibly having a Kevon Looney type career. Could actually end up being quite valuable as a 5 down the road, and maybe even a floor spacing one. Just a thought.

Are you joking around or are you serious?

So your point is - by showing completely horribly in the drills teams will be forced to use him at the 5? And he could excel at the 5?

Talk about next level thinking lol

I’m being 100% serious. Isn’t it obvious he’s not the “big wing” people thought? His only path forward is at the 4 or 5. And he has the size for it clearly. A lot like Kevin Looney’s career arc. He was seen as a star wing coming up but in his case injuries basically sapped all his athleticism (which wasn’t great to begin with). The Warriors turned Looney who has center length into…wait for it…a center. And it worked.

I agree (and it is a good point), he has to be a 4/5 now. And...maybe it ends up working. Bjelica was drafted as a combo-forward and ended up a F/C and I think that would be the route for PBJ, no?

Not saying this excites me or is good for him, clearly he's a lot less appealing as a prospect than he was pre-college (for those of use who could only recreationally watch the occasional high-school game + some highlights).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#25 » by clyde21 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:38 am

i already made this point in the 22 draft thread, his only way forward is to come back to college and show teams he can be a 5.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#26 » by kobyz » Sun May 22, 2022 12:28 pm

georges niang type
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#27 » by tidho » Wed May 25, 2022 12:49 pm

Seems like folks are being a little hard on this guy. I still don't see any reason he can't fill a (current) Kevin Love type role, which where he's being mocked seems like decent value.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,154

Post#28 » by Hal14 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:06 pm

clyde21 wrote:i already made this point in the 22 draft thread, his only way forward is to come back to college and show teams he can be a 5.

he's not gonna be a 5. He's either a 3 or a 4, or a combination of both. No way he has the physicality, rim protection, rebounding or finishing ability inside to play the 5 in the NBA.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#29 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Hal14 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i already made this point in the 22 draft thread, his only way forward is to come back to college and show teams he can be a 5.

he's not gonna be a 5. He's either a 3 or a 4, or a combination of both. No way he has the physicality, rim protection, rebounding or finishing ability inside to play the 5 in the NBA.

There are plenty of centers in the NBA who aren't physical, don't rebound, and don't bang inside. They are just bench players (some very good, e.g. Muscala).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#30 » by clyde21 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:

there is no way he's a 3 with that athletic profile.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#31 » by MemphisX » Wed May 25, 2022 2:19 pm

He is definitely a 4/5.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#32 » by EvanZ » Wed May 25, 2022 8:32 pm

He’s either a 5 or he’s out the league lol

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#33 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed May 25, 2022 11:36 pm

What's the record of guys becoming a good player after being complete ass as a freshman, leaving early, and going on to have maybe the worst combine of all the prospects that showed up?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#34 » by EvanZ » Thu May 26, 2022 12:25 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:What's the record of guys becoming a good player after being complete ass as a freshman, leaving early, and going on to have maybe the worst combine of all the prospects that showed up?

It ain't great.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#35 » by shangrila » Fri May 27, 2022 10:21 am

EvanZ wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:What's the record of guys becoming a good player after being complete ass as a freshman, leaving early, and going on to have maybe the worst combine of all the prospects that showed up?

It ain't great.

So what you’re saying is…we’re due for it to happen?
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#36 » by kobyz » Mon May 30, 2022 8:04 pm

i see Nikola Mirotic in him
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#37 » by Wizop » Mon May 30, 2022 8:12 pm

I see a two way contract in his future.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,407

Post#38 » by JRoy » Mon May 30, 2022 8:41 pm

European all star
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 6, 2022 12:29 pm

Red Flags We Can't Ignore

Patrick Baldwin's Scary Athletic Testing Numbers

Athletic testing numbers are normally only tiny data points that teams can overlook in a huge scouting equation. But in Patrick Baldwin Jr.'s case, his results were difficult to ignore.

His verticals were some of the lowest ever recorded at the NBA combine, and the heavy-footed centers usually finish last, not wings. It's difficult to measure explosiveness, but both the eye test and numbers say he has close to none.

In the last 12 NBA combines, these were the only other players to jump lower than or the same as Baldwin's 23.5-inch standing vertical (no running start, off two feet): Kyle Singler, Tacko Fall, Nikola Vucevic, Dakari Johnson, Jamel Artis, Nathan Knight, Kaleb Wesson and Orlando Robinson. The only players to jump lower or the same as Baldwin's 26.5-inch max vertical were Dedric Lawson, Fall, Johnson and Vucevic.

This year, Baldwin had the second-slowest lane agility time (lateral movement, changing directions, running backward) behind Trevion Williams, who weighs 264.4 pounds. Baldwin finished with the fourth-slowest sprint and the sixth-worst shuttle run.

The main concern with Baldwin is whether he'll be able to create any separation either off the dribble or at the rim. Though he played only 11 games and didn't have much supporting talent at Milwaukee, he shot just 50.0 percent at the basket (only 11 makes in half court) and 2-of-16 out of isolation. That was against mostly lower-level competition.

Scouts assume he's a better shooter than his 26.6 three-point percentage suggests. But if he doesn't have an advantage anywhere else, the bar will be super high when it comes to his shot-making effectiveness.
Bleacher Report
Gert42
Senior
And1: 209

Post#40 » by Gert42 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 11:10 pm

I still think with NIL money being in college basketball, his best move is entering the transfer portal and trying to improve his game on a bigger stage (college wise).

Return to NBA Draft