Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,219

David Roddy 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:08 pm

Read on Twitter

We need a thread about him. ESPN finally put him in their Top 100 recently. He's been on my radar since December and I've been wondering why there isn't more hype. I see him as a bit like Bane with less shooting. Or maybe an even thicker Anthony Lamb. He's definitely an unconventional prospect, but sometimes those guys defy the odds in unexpected ways. He's just good at basketball. Would be fair game to consider starting at around pick 25 I think.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,284

Re: David Roddy 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:31 pm

What position does he defend in the NBA? I don't think laterally he can keep up with wings, strength-wise can probably guard power forwards, think he's too small to guard most centers. That leaves him as a position-locked 4. I think he's okay to give a flier on in the second round and I did make sure to catch a game of his earlier this year, but I came away thinking he was a really fun college player and had a lot of weird NBA limitations that meant it probably doesn't work.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:34 pm

babyjax13 wrote:What position does he defend in the NBA? I don't think laterally he can keep up with wings, strength-wise can probably guard power forwards, think he's too small to guard most centers. That leaves him as a position-locked 4. I think he's okay to give a flier on in the second round and I did make sure to catch a game of his earlier this year, but I came away thinking he was a really fun college player and had a lot of weird NBA limitations that meant it probably doesn't work.

He may never start as a 4/5 but these days a guy like that coming off the bench is probably fine as a 4 or small 5 on some teams tbh. Clearly, the shooting will need to translate for that to work. But that's the bet you would be making if you take him late first, early second. At least, that's a bet I might be willing to take on him. People had similar concerns about Bane's defense fwiw.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:46 pm

He's such an unusual player and so effective that there's gotta be a place for him in the NBA. Even though his game is completely different, he reminds me of PJ Tucker - as far as body type and the air of confidence that he plays with. He's destined to be a fan favorite. I think he's a 2nd rounder, because people don't know what to make of him. This probably sounds funny, but I'd love to see how he'd do matched up against Zion Williamson.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#5 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:18 pm

he's the type of guy who doesn't shoot well enough, isn't big enough, athletic enough, long enough, etc - but you put him on the floor and give him extended minutes, he will produce. i need to see more of him - i've only seen one game, but it's hard to ignore that kind of production. i think you could take him as early as early second round and there's a good chance he'd exceed his draft slot.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,432

Post#6 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:01 am

Whatever roles Tucker and Grant Williams play. The combine will be everything for him. He needs to tone the body weight to gain more mobility. Gotta say it first, but the white Zion. He's an easy 2nd rounder at worst. He should be able to guard all 4s, most 5s, and 3s. Wonder what that wingspan is.

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#7 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:20 pm

If he really is 6'6, my comp would be Rodney Rogers. Needs to tone up, but the guy has a really nice feel for the game and does everything at a passable level or better. Interesting as hell.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#8 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:50 pm

like a poor man's chuck, tbh.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,229

Post#9 » by SNPA » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:56 am

I watched one video - I see Corliss Williamson.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#10 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:43 am

Four years of college. Needs to become a lights out three point shooter. Maybe Jared Dudley if you squint really hard. I doubt he'll be able to defend anyone on the perimeter.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#11 » by shangrila » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:13 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Four years of college. Needs to become a lights out three point shooter. Maybe Jared Dudley if you squint really hard. I doubt he'll be able to defend anyone on the perimeter.

That's my question.

I'll take average shooting since he brings a lot outside of that in terms of playmaking, rebounding and the like. But can he move his feet and check at least backup quality wings?
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#12 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Four years of college. Needs to become a lights out three point shooter. Maybe Jared Dudley if you squint really hard. I doubt he'll be able to defend anyone on the perimeter.

He already IS a lights out 3pt shooter, 46% on over 3 attempts per game.

He also gets steals and blocks at a nice rate, which is not proof alone of NBA level defensive skill, but at least displays a level of awareness and anticipation. My favorite for stat stuffers, he's not a foul or a turnover machine, despite high usage.

As others have mentioned, Grant Williams or Georges Niang is a reasonable comp. They're never gonna start, but they're very valuable, versatile rotation pieces.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#13 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:59 pm

Georges Niang is a journeyman and Grant Williams is not what you want with a first round pick. If he's an undrafted player, I suppose sure he's worth a shot. I hate that this makes it seem like I don't think Roddy is a good player. I just don't like his NBA prospects much.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#14 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:17 am

This man is explosive. A blog performed historical research on guys that produced a similar statistical line, only a few names came up, one already mentioned in this thread and Larry Johnson. His game is similar to LJ's, but less above the rim. He's actually in great shape for football. He's a former high school QB. He doesn't seem to offer much in transition, but his half court scoring skills are impressive. He also can really pass the ball. Byron Houston came to mind as a guy that played in the league a few seasons with a comparable build, weight, and height.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#15 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:35 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Georges Niang is a journeyman and Grant Williams is not what you want with a first round pick. If he's an undrafted player, I suppose sure he's worth a shot. I hate that this makes it seem like I don't think Roddy is a good player. I just don't like his NBA prospects much.

Yeah, Georges has bounced around, but let's not pretend he's begging for 10-days or something. He is making more than the LLE, basically middle class for the NBA. He's shooting lights out and is a versatile defender, Philly is lucky to have him

Same with Grant, who says he's "not what you want" with a late 1st??? If you're a tanking team, sure, you'll take a flier on a high upside risk like Darius Bazley, who's got starter tools but is likely to never put it together. For a competitive team, you want dudes like Grant, or Brandon Clarke, or Jarred Vanderbilt. A late 1st panning out to one of them is a good return on investment.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Post#16 » by Kalela » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:10 am

I am not saying anything about his floor or ceiling but he reminds me so much of Eric Paschall.
Fire Mazzulla
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#17 » by Hal14 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:59 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Georges Niang is a journeyman and Grant Williams is not what you want with a first round pick. If he's an undrafted player, I suppose sure he's worth a shot. I hate that this makes it seem like I don't think Roddy is a good player. I just don't like his NBA prospects much.

Niang and Williams aren't even close to being as quick/explosive as Roddy, nor do they have the moves/skill Roddy has to create his own shot off the dribble.

I'm a celtics fan, watch every game and I'd literally fall out of my chair if i ever saw Grant williams do what Roddy does here at 34:47 or at 51:45:

Not only can Grant williams not do that now at age 23, but he definitely couldn't do it when he was 20 (roddy's age now). Grant also wasn't shooting 45% from 3 as a 20 year old either.

Not to mention, Grant williams was a good value pick in the late 1st round. He's developed into a very good, switchable defender, tough, gritty, hard nosed player, really good 3 point shooter. In the lottery you're hoping to pick a star. Late in the first round if you can get a good, solid role player, that's a solid pick - giving grant williams a contract extension is undoubtedly one of the first things Brad stevens is going to do this offseason. Grant williams could eventually be a starter in this league - he's on track to be a very similar player to PJ Tucker/Jae Crowder..

while I kind of see Roddy as being a similar player to niang and williams, I think that roddy is quicker, more explosive, better handles so projects as more of SF who can play a little bit of PF, whereas Grant williams and niang are PF's who can play som small ball 5..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#18 » by Hal14 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:01 am

shangrila wrote:

That's my question.

I'll take average shooting since he brings a lot outside of that in terms of playmaking, rebounding and the like. But can he move his feet and check at least backup quality wings?

we should have a better idea of the answer to this question after he plays against michigan in the 1st round of the ncaa tournament..

roddy's perimeter D looks good here, though at :52, at 2:52 and at 13:25:

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Kalela wrote:I am not saying anything about his floor or ceiling but he reminds me so much of Eric Paschall.

Almost certainly a better shooter and defender. Would be hard not to be tbh.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#20 » by jman3134 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:50 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Kalela wrote:I am not saying anything about his floor or ceiling but he reminds me so much of Eric Paschall.

Almost certainly a better shooter and defender. Would be hard not to be tbh.

Better shooter, yes. Better defender? What? Definitely not.

Return to NBA Draft