Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,039

Re: Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock? 

Post#101 » by The-Power » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:39 am

shangrila wrote:
Catchall wrote:
tidho wrote:
Local reports suggest he might be on CLE's short list at #14. Feel like a reach, but maybe the mock community is just off on him.

Personally, I would take Terry ahead of Branham or Agbaji.

Agreed. He's on my shortlist for the Wolves at 19.

Honestly, I'd strongly consider him at #7 if I were the Blazers FO and we decide to keep the pick and continue on the win-now path. But obviously I'm in the minority here.

Note: I should say that I'm talking about big board here. If intel suggests that he won't be picked that early, I'd fully understand trying to trade down and pick up some additional value. But of course that's a risky strategy if you really like a prospect. It just takes one other team ahead of you, so you'd have to be fine with not getting him in that trade-down scenario.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Re: Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock? 

Post#102 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:22 pm

Yoan Makoundou is the most underrated player in this draft, hands down. No. 20 ranked player on my big board, yet no one else even has him in their top 60.

That's ok. I like that he's under the radar. Means my Celtics have a good shot to scoop him up with 53rd pick :D
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#103 » by EMG518 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:07 pm

The-Power wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Catchall wrote:
Personally, I would take Terry ahead of Branham or Agbaji.

Agreed. He's on my shortlist for the Wolves at 19.

Honestly, I'd strongly consider him at #7 if I were the Blazers FO and we decide to keep the pick and continue on the win-now path. But obviously I'm in the minority here.

Note: I should say that I'm talking about big board here. If intel suggests that he won't be picked that early, I'd fully understand trying to trade down and pick up some additional value. But of course that's a risky strategy if you really like a prospect. It just takes one other team ahead of you, so you'd have to be fine with not getting him in that trade-down scenario.

I think it has flipped recently and many have become much higher on Terry. Wouldn't question him going in the lottery or being picked over either of those guys. I think I have him over Agbaji on my board and I know I have him over Branham.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#104 » by shangrila » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:22 pm

EMG518 wrote:
The-Power wrote:
shangrila wrote:Agreed. He's on my shortlist for the Wolves at 19.

I think it has flipped recently and many have become much higher on Terry. Wouldn't question him going in the lottery or being picked over either of those guys. I think I have him over Agbaji on my board and I know I have him over Branham.

Agbaji going in the lottery was always a joke.

I never saw it with Branham either. He has a good pull up and shot well from 3 but I never saw that ability to get to the rim. Combine it with a slight frame, so-so defence and not much in the way of playmaking and I don't see what all of the hype has been about.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#105 » by stormi » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:12 am

I'd say Jaden Hardy if he was still sitting on the board in the 20's.

Betting on his HS body of work, being a top 3 recruit in the nation. His size at 6'4 with long arms. His evident shot creation ability. Approaching nearly 90% from the FT line. Having a seasons repertoire of shooting on NBA lines under his belt. And still being only 19 years old.

I think if you wanted to swing for a potential upside isolation scoring star, he'd be near the top of my list.
Knicks365247
Junior
And1: 348

Post#106 » by Knicks365247 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:28 am

Blake Wesley will be just as good as Ivey.

Knicks better take him at #11.
jimtxsanders
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#107 » by jimtxsanders » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:10 pm

JOHN BUTLER - FSU
He's a young 7'1", can shoot and handle the rock, plus good defensive instincts. I feel like there just aren't that many guys that fit that mold. I don't understand why he's not a late first rounder.
Yes I know he looks like slender man, but he's going in the late 2nd round.
I predict he's drafted at least 20 picks higher than most mocks.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#108 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:23 pm

Kennedy Chandler. It's obvious that he is undervalued. He shot 38% from 3 with over 2 steals per game. He may only be 6'1" but he has the requisite superior athleticism to go with it at that size that history shows you will need to be a really good NBA player. People are treating him like a second round pick.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#109 » by CptCrunch » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:28 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:Kennedy Chandler. It's obvious that he is undervalued. He shot 38% from 3 with over 2 steals per game. He may only be 6'1" but he has the requisite superior athleticism to go with it at that size that history shows you will need to be a really good NBA player. People are treating him like a second round pick.

I like Chandler more than TyTy as a lead point guard, but his FT is a bit scary.

60 for 99 on the year is super suspect for a point guard.

Chandler shoots 3 pointers at a high volume on good efficiency, so it would need some shooting expertise to figure out what's going on with him, which I do not possess since I like the form and consistency of his jump shots in-game.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#110 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:54 am

CptCrunch wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:Kennedy Chandler. It's obvious that he is undervalued. He shot 38% from 3 with over 2 steals per game. He may only be 6'1" but he has the requisite superior athleticism to go with it at that size that history shows you will need to be a really good NBA player. People are treating him like a second round pick.

I like Chandler more than TyTy as a lead point guard, but his FT is a bit scary.

60 for 99 on the year is super suspect for a point guard.

Chandler shoots 3 pointers at a high volume on good efficiency, so it would need some shooting expertise to figure out what's going on with him, which I do not possess since I like the form and consistency of his jump shots in-game.

Someone said that he shot either 41% or 42% on catch and shoot opportunities. I never looked it up. FT% means less to me since the NCAA extended the three point line. But for some reason people talk about the FT% of prospects more than ever seemingly over the last couple of years. Why? Its value was for projecting the jump from the old NCAA three to the NBA. That is no longer needed with the new extended line. So I look at his poor free throw shooting as possibly a correctable oversight in his training being that he was only a freshman and not an indicator that he will be a Fultz/Ben Simmons level non shooting threat at PG. Baron Davis is an example of an NBA PG that within a season could shoot the three ball well at high volume, before it was normal, but also shoot terribly from the free throw line.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#111 » by Sinistar6 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:41 pm

Chet. First pick or get a new job.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#112 » by basketballRob » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:00 pm

Sinistar6 wrote:Chet. First pick or get a new job.
What kind of work are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#113 » by Sinistar6 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:35 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Sinistar6 wrote:Chet. First pick or get a new job.
What kind of work are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I will take the job of all GMs that pass on this unicorn. In fact I would not be surprised if OKC makes a push for the first pick to guarantee Chet. I also like Ivey but Chet has generational upside IMO.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
LukaSmile
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#114 » by LukaSmile » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:30 pm

Julian Champagnie
stoolweieser
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#115 » by stoolweieser » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:55 am

jimtxsanders wrote:JOHN BUTLER - FSU
He's a young 7'1", can shoot and handle the rock, plus good defensive instincts. I feel like there just aren't that many guys that fit that mold. I don't understand why he's not a late first rounder.

One of the guys on “Upside Swings” said he had him in the late lotto
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,764

Post#116 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:37 pm

I think it's Walker Kessler. I know centers aren't en vogue right now, but this guy is a Gobert level rim protector and a good enough athlete not to get run off the floor by smaller teams. He will never be a great scorer, but him falling into the second round is insane.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#117 » by nicnac215 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:50 pm

jimtxsanders wrote:JOHN BUTLER - FSU

I can see Orlando taking him in the 2nd.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#118 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:56 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I think it's Walker Kessler. I know centers aren't en vogue right now, but this guy is a Gobert level rim protector and a good enough athlete not to get run off the floor by smaller teams. He will never be a great scorer, but him falling into the second round is insane.

Ya man, he may never be more than a garbage man on offense but that shouldnt matter as long as he can set a good pick.

But on defense he has Theo Ratliff like potential as a rim protector. I think he can be a great 5th starter who post elite DBPM but may have to sit on a team in the 4Q should they be going deep in the PO's. But that type of guy, even with that limitation, is a great find in the 20's especially on a rookie deal (As paying bigs who may get PNR'd off the floor is my main issue w/ limited guys like Kessler).

Make no mistake though, he is a special shot blocker. And he isnt a block hunter either, he plays smart. His coordination with his off hand to block shots is the best I have ever seen in a prospect.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#119 » by EMG518 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:35 am

I want to update mine to Dereon Seabron
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,385

Post#120 » by Big J » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:51 am

Beauchamp feels like a more aggressive Wiggins. He's got great length & feel on the defensive end, and is active and has great measurements and athleticism. I have no doubt that he's going to be a contributor very early.

Return to NBA Draft