Leonard Miller

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Re: Leonard Miller 

Post#21 » by CptCrunch » Sat May 7, 2022 1:43 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:I just found a negative, which is a pretty common one. He is a "hold back." He played a 5th year of high school basketball.

That's why he is eligible. One has to be one year removed from graduation and turn 19 on draft year. He is young for a held back kid, not the old held back kind like TyTy.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#22 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat May 7, 2022 1:49 am

CptCrunch wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:I just found a negative, which is a pretty common one. He is a "hold back." He played a 5th year of high school basketball.

That's why he is eligible. One has to be one year removed from graduation and turn 19 on draft year. He is young for a held back kid, not the old held back kind like TyTy.

Yeah, all of this has to be considered. It's sometimes the reason why a prospect fails in the NBA.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Sat May 7, 2022 7:12 am

CptCrunch wrote:Article blowing up smoke: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/05/nba-draft-leonard-miller-kentucky-arizona-g-league-ignite-overtime-elite

Unranked on 247, Rivals, ESPN. #2 by On3.

Half the front office gonna google him next Monday after him being declared eligible yesterday and USA Today beat writers writing a feature today, This is a mega information disparity kind of situation. Oh you guys like highly ranked players with no college minutes? Take a 7 foot version of Shaedon Sharpe as a bonus.

On a side note, I believe On3 is throwing hail mary's with their ranking. If either Flip or Miller hits, they are gonna make ESPN/Rival/247 all look like bloody fools next year. On3 missing badly isn't a horrible outcome with them being so new.

what do you mean by 'hits'? hits in college or in the pros? On3 imo looks like it ranks players not just on college prospects but potentially the NBA, Rivals/247/ESPN tend to do their rankings strictly on what these players will be in the NCAA.

Rivals/247/ESPN all high on Filipowski tho
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#24 » by Catchall » Sun May 8, 2022 5:43 am

He's an upside pick that would normally go in the late 1st round, unless he just blows people away in draft workouts against other prospects. Would love to see him workout against Ousmane Dieng, Patrick Baldwin and maybe Jabari Walker.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#25 » by Hal14 » Thu May 12, 2022 3:43 pm

Obviously this is a 1-0 workout so you can't put a ton of stock in it, but man. The way he moves out there on the court, handles the ball, shoots it, dunks it - is so effortless.....for an 18 yr old kid who's 6'11" with a 7'2" wingspan.

He's gotten some criticism for poor shot prep, but in this video it looks like he's cleaned that up quite a bit.

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#26 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 12, 2022 5:20 pm

I see him as a more SF'ish version of JT Thor from last draft, great measurables but a really unrefined game and loads of question marks. I could see him going between 20-40, big range due to being a pure upside pick (Like Thor).

I am always wary on raw super tall SF's that dont have great production (Or in this case, only HS production). The bust rate for these types is super high - how many 6'10+ SF are there even in the NBA?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#27 » by Hal14 » Thu May 12, 2022 6:52 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I see him as a more SF'ish version of JT Thor from last draft, great measurables but a really unrefined game and loads of question marks. I could see him going between 20-40, big range due to being a pure upside pick (Like Thor).

I am always wary on raw super tall SF's that dont have great production (Or in this case, only HS production). The bust rate for these types is super high - how many 6'10+ SF are there even in the NBA?

1) What makes you think Miller is so raw?

2) Did you know his production is better than Sharpe?

Grind Session Stats
Shaedon Sharpe = 21.4 points, 6.0 rebounds, 1.5 steals per game
Leonard Miller = 30.8 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 2.3 steals per game

Article: https://www.aseaofblue.com/2022/3/31/23004828/leonard-miller-kentucky-basketball-recruiting-news
It says Miller averaged 32 points a game and shot 40% from 3

3) Have you seen this?

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#28 » by CP War Hawks » Thu May 12, 2022 7:43 pm

That shot is getting blocked if he doesn't minimum get a faster release. He's going to need to rely on people to get him catch and shoot attempts which shouldn't be a problem. If you expect him to get his shot going off the dribble, idk about that.

Reminds me of a sf version of JJJ. Really intriguing guy in a draft w/o much of it. What is his ceiling on defense, hopefully he isn't another Nazr Reid.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#29 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 12, 2022 7:46 pm

Ya, I noticed how low his release is as well. Wont be able to hit that outside wide open kickouts at the next level.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#30 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 12, 2022 7:51 pm

Hal14 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I see him as a more SF'ish version of JT Thor from last draft, great measurables but a really unrefined game and loads of question marks. I could see him going between 20-40, big range due to being a pure upside pick (Like Thor).

1) What makes you think Miller is so raw?

2) Did you know his production is better than Sharpe?

Grind Session Stats
Shaedon Sharpe = 21.4 points, 6.0 rebounds, 1.5 steals per game
Leonard Miller = 30.8 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 2.3 steals per game

Article: https://www.aseaofblue.com/2022/3/31/23004828/leonard-miller-kentucky-basketball-recruiting-news
It says Miller averaged 32 points a game and shot 40% from 3

3) Have you seen this?

It's clear he is raw from just watching him. I also don't believe in that release at all, I have the same feeling on it I had on Derrick Williams' shot. That said he has a really interesting physical profile and his upside is pretty high if he can change his shooting form and loose looking handle...but I'm not even considering him in the lottery, nor do I think he's a small forward right now at all.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#31 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:53 pm

I will say what makes me excited about him besides his frame is his footwork. Reminds me a bit of DeMar DeRozan in the fact that while he's raw, he does really know how to move his body. So I think there is some reason to believe that he could hit whatever outlier potential he has. Still, I think he is much more raw than some people in this thread are recognizing.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#32 » by CptCrunch » Fri May 13, 2022 2:04 am

So 247 decided to rank Miller yesterday.

First entered a 47, the same day adjusted to 26.

There is massive amount of information asymmetry here. On3 has him at #2. ESPN doesn't know about this kid. Rivals has him as a generic unranked 5 star.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#33 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 13, 2022 2:23 am

Hal14 wrote:Obviously this is a 1-0 workout so you can't put a ton of stock in it, but man. The way he moves out there on the court, handles the ball, shoots it, dunks it - is so effortless.....for an 18 yr old kid who's 6'11" with a 7'2" wingspan.

He's gotten some criticism for poor shot prep, but in this video it looks like he's cleaned that up quite a bit.

Read on Twitter

It does look improved. Still needs work but this is great progress.

JColl
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#34 » by K_chile22 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:27 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:That shot is getting blocked if he doesn't minimum get a faster release. He's going to need to rely on people to get him catch and shoot attempts which shouldn't be a problem. If you expect him to get his shot going off the dribble, idk about that.

Reminds me of a sf version of JJJ. Really intriguing guy in a draft w/o much of it. What is his ceiling on defense, hopefully he isn't another Nazr Reid.
I mean he's 6'10-11 with a 7-3 wingspan. Even if the release is low relative to his own body he's still going to get it off over a lot of wings. I'd be more concerned about getting it to go in for now
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#35 » by moss_is_1 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:35 pm

That jumper looks ugly AF
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#36 » by mojo13 » Fri May 13, 2022 5:02 pm

CptCrunch wrote:So 247 decided to rank Miller yesterday.

First entered a 47, the same day adjusted to 26.

There is massive amount of information asymmetry here. On3 has him at #2. ESPN doesn't know about this kid. Rivals has him as a generic unranked 5 star.

ESPN doesnt rank kids in Canada.

Not sure why Rivals and 24/7 are so late to the party - he should be properly ranked at this point, but I get they are not "live" rankings and only get updated a couple times a year. Miller really was not on anyones radar for most of this season unless you are a Canadian following Canadian highschool ball - and even among us he only "popped" last fall with some massive early season games in the OSBA. He was on the 2019 FIBA U16 team and we were aware of him as 6'5 potentual high major NCAA prospect. But even we didnt see him for a couple years as his growth spurt was tucked away behind a covid veil only to emerge this fall (rumors were out there but no film).

Miller really didnt get mass USA exposure until the Nike Hoop Summit thus the newness is seemingly feeding the mass hysteria right now.

And we Canadians thought Sharpe was our annual mystery man for the season...
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,018

Post#37 » by Chi town » Fri May 13, 2022 7:41 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:That shot is getting blocked if he doesn't minimum get a faster release. He's going to need to rely on people to get him catch and shoot attempts which shouldn't be a problem. If you expect him to get his shot going off the dribble, idk about that.

Super low release and slow setup.

Freak measurables.

I think he will be over drafted and bust out of the league. For every Giannis there are 30 upside guys that don’t make it.

Kid like this has to have an incredible work ethic.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#38 » by Goldbum » Sat May 14, 2022 3:37 pm

I like this kid at #36 especially if Portland drafts a pro ready prospect at #6 like Keegan Murray.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#39 » by shangrila » Sun May 15, 2022 12:28 am

I’d take him at 19.

This draft is so flat you might as well take swings on guys like him, Dieng, even Hardy I guess.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#40 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon May 16, 2022 9:27 am

I believe that concerns about low releases are a thing from before this recent three point era. He will never be a Jordan or Kobe, but he'll fit right in with this long ball era. You don't need a high release point when shooting from great distance and playing off of that rather than feasting in the midrange like Jordan, Kobe, Kawhi, etc.. His release is low but it's s not slow.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.

Return to NBA Draft