Defense rankings

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Defense rankings 

Post#1 » by SNPA » Mon May 9, 2022 4:24 am

Time for my yearly question, who plays defense?

https://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Top 45. By position. Which are notable defensive players?
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Re: Defense rankings 

Post#2 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon May 9, 2022 5:49 pm

holmgren, duren, eason, williams, davis, kessler, liddell. and a bunch of wings who have a ton of defensive potential. but those are the guys who, in my mind, could come in and have the quickest impact defensively in the league.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#3 » by tester551 » Mon May 9, 2022 6:22 pm

Going down the list of players:

Daniels, Sochan, Williams, Kessler, Dieng, Eason, Chandler, Koloko, Terry
SNPA
General Manager

Post#4 » by SNPA » Tue May 10, 2022 3:40 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:holmgren, duren, eason, williams, davis, kessler, liddell. and a bunch of wings who have a ton of defensive potential. but those are the guys who, in my mind, could come in and have the quickest impact defensively in the league.

Liddell is interesting to me. Seems like he is mocked in the 20’s but has high defensive upside. He isn’t very big for a big man though. What’s his comp?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Tue May 10, 2022 5:48 am

SNPA wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:holmgren, duren, eason, williams, davis, kessler, liddell. and a bunch of wings who have a ton of defensive potential. but those are the guys who, in my mind, could come in and have the quickest impact defensively in the league.

Liddell is interesting to me. Seems like he is mocked in the 20’s but has high defensive upside. He isn’t very big for a big man though. What’s his comp?

PJ Tuckerish

if he can scale as a small ball 5 in the league he'll have a role.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#6 » by Catchall » Tue May 10, 2022 7:08 am

Wendell Moore will be solid defensively, as will Agbaji. Leonard Miller should be able to defend, much like Jaden McDaniels.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SNPA
General Manager

Post#7 » by SNPA » Tue May 10, 2022 4:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:
SNPA wrote:

PJ Tuckerish

Isn’t he bigger than Tucker? Close to Draymond?

I’m interested in him next to Sabonis.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:56 pm

SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Liddell is interesting to me. Seems like he is mocked in the 20’s but has high defensive upside. He isn’t very big for a big man though. What’s his comp?

PJ Tuckerish

he's 6-5 or 6-6ish
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,653

Post#9 » by toooskies » Wed May 11, 2022 3:14 pm

SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Liddell is interesting to me. Seems like he is mocked in the 20’s but has high defensive upside. He isn’t very big for a big man though. What’s his comp?

PJ Tuckerish

" Measured 6’5.5” barefoot, 6’7.0” in shoes 8’10.0” standing reach, 242.8 lbs, and 6’11.75” wingspan at the 2021 NBA Draft Combine …" according to nbadraft.net.

Probably lost weight since then in order to play SF or small-ball PF in the NBA, which probably helped his bounce and led to more blocked shots.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#10 » by SNPA » Wed May 11, 2022 7:19 pm

toooskies wrote:
SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
PJ Tuckerish

" Measured 6’5.5” barefoot, 6’7.0” in shoes 8’10.0” standing reach, 242.8 lbs, and 6’11.75” wingspan at the 2021 NBA Draft Combine …" according to nbadraft.net.

Probably lost weight since then in order to play SF or small-ball PF in the NBA, which probably helped his bounce and led to more blocked shots.

So closer to Draymond than Tucker.

His shot blocking ability for his size is impressive. I think teams are sleeping, odds there are 20 better pros in this draft strike me as slim. He’d be a good fit next to Sabonis.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,147

Post#11 » by Hal14 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
PJ Tuckerish

he's 6-5 or 6-6ish

Liddell is 6'7", a rock solid 240 lbs and a 7'0" wingspan. He can shoot the 3 and defend out on the perimeter. He'll play most of his mins at the 4, with some small ball 5. His comp is like Paul Millsap, Marcus Morris, Boris Diaw.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 pm

not sure if you guys are agreeing with me or not tbh, or just want to say things to say things.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#13 » by SNPA » Wed May 11, 2022 10:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:not sure if you guys are agreeing with me or not tbh, or just want to say things to say things.

My point is that PJ Tucker, while a quality defender, is not in any form a rim protector. Liddell seems like he’ll serve a different role at the NBA level. If he can truly anchor a defense, even if only in small ball situations, his value is heightened. I’m struggling to understand why a guy with his profile and productivity is considered a 20’s pick. There’s lots of risky upside swings ahead him.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:08 pm

SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not sure if you guys are agreeing with me or not tbh, or just want to say things to say things.

My point is that PJ Tucker, while a quality defender, is not in any form a tim protector. Liddell seems like he’ll serve a different role at the NBA level. If he can truly anchor a defense, even if only in small ball situations, his value his heightened. I’m struggling to understand why a guy with his profile and productivity is considered a 20’s pick. There’s lots of risk upside swings ahead him.

Liddell is not a rim protector either

and what makes Tucker playable in today's NBA is that he scales as an small ball 5 - that's what EJ will have to do to really be able to scale his game in the pros, at least in some capacity.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#15 » by SNPA » Wed May 11, 2022 11:30 pm

clyde21 wrote:
SNPA wrote:

My point is that PJ Tucker, while a quality defender, is not in any form a tim protector. Liddell seems like he’ll serve a different role at the NBA level. If he can truly anchor a defense, even if only in small ball situations, his value his heightened. I’m struggling to understand why a guy with his profile and productivity is considered a 20’s pick. There’s lots of risk upside swings ahead him.

and what makes Tucker playable in today's NBA is that he scales as an small ball 5 - that's what EJ will have to do to really be able to scale his game in the pros, at least in some capacity.

Agreed on scaling up in situations. But isn’t he the best non-center rim protector in the draft? As a Kings fan we’re in a unique situation needing a PF that can weakside shot block. Isn’t Liddell the best option for that, especially considering where players are mocked?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#16 » by Hal14 » Thu May 12, 2022 2:25 pm

SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
SNPA wrote:My point is that PJ Tucker, while a quality defender, is not in any form a tim protector. Liddell seems like he’ll serve a different role at the NBA level. If he can truly anchor a defense, even if only in small ball situations, his value his heightened. I’m struggling to understand why a guy with his profile and productivity is considered a 20’s pick. There’s lots of risk upside swings ahead him.

Agreed on scaling up in situations. But isn’t he the best non-center rim protector in the draft? As a Kings fan we’re in a unique situation needing a PF that can weakside shot block. Isn’t Liddell the best option for that, especially considering where players are mocked?

Liddell is an excellent rim protector. A block % of 8.5 is insanely good for a non-center. Hell, it's really good for a center.

Read on Twitter

It sounds like Clyde has never seen Liddell play or looked up his stats. He thinks he's 6'5" or 6'6" when every site has him at 6'7". He's clearly bigger than PJ Tucker. Liddell also has more in his offensive arsenal with the moves and shots he can hit out of the low post and mid post.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 12, 2022 3:25 pm

I think Liddell has some Millsap to him, probably not as good a rebounder but maybe better shotblocking (Paul averaged 1BPG over his career).

Thing w/ EJ is you get that age 30+ 3PT shooting of Millsap from the get-go IMO.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,653

Post#18 » by toooskies » Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Liddell is an excellent rim protector. A block % of 8.5 is insanely good for a non-center. Hell, it's really good for a center.

Read on Twitter

It sounds like Clyde has never seen Liddell play or looked up his stats. He thinks he's 6'5" or 6'6" when every site has him at 6'7". He's clearly bigger than PJ Tucker. Liddell also has more in his offensive arsenal with the moves and shots he can hit out of the low post and mid post.

nbadraft.net said Liddell measured 6'5.5" barefoot at the combine last year before returning to school. 6'7" in shoes. Although NBA.com doesn't have any measurements for him.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#19 » by Hal14 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:02 pm

toooskies wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Agreed on scaling up in situations. But isn’t he the best non-center rim protector in the draft? As a Kings fan we’re in a unique situation needing a PF that can weakside shot block. Isn’t Liddell the best option for that, especially considering where players are mocked?

Read on Twitter

nbadraft.net said Liddell measured 6'5.5" barefoot at the combine last year before returning to school. 6'7" in shoes. Although NBA.com doesn't have any measurements for him.

Yeah the in-shoes measurements are the official ones.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

#1 way to get embarrassed on this board, call me out about what I have and haven't seen. are you sure you wanna go this route? you want me to pull all my posts about Liddell considering I have been watching him at Ohio St. for 3 yrs now?

Liddell is PJ Tucker size more or less, maybe half an inch taller, whoopty **** doo. my entire point is that he'll have to scale as a small ball center in the NBA to really unlock playing time for him, that's what makes Tucker playable in today's NBA - his ability to switch and scale up to being small ball 5. otherwise it'll depend on how his offensive game develops, specifically his shooting.

and I never said Liddell can't block a shot. you're not the only one that can read a stat sheet big guy. but blocking shots is different than being a rim protector and paint defender. majority of Liddell's shot blocking comes from being a good weak side and help defender, it has nothing to do with him being a stout paint defender that can high point the ball or stop guys like **** Giannis from getting to the rim.

instead of calling other people out, you should try to understand basic bball concepts first my guy.

oh, and here is me talking about how Liddell should be a 1st rounder back in Nov, F outta here.

Return to NBA Draft