Boom and Bust

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,386

Boom and Bust 

Post#1 » by JRoy » Wed May 18, 2022 8:22 pm

Pick one player in the 2022 nba draft to far exceed expectations and another to fall far below those expectation and why. Maybe we can look at it in a year and see how those predictions fared.

I will start off:

BUST: AJ Griffin, injuries and less than seem less fit in any position.

BOOM: EJ Liddell, will show flashes as a rookie, get traded to another team and blow up as Diet Draymond or Supercharged Grant Williams.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 430

Re: Boom and Bust 

Post#2 » by Magicman125 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Agbaji Boom

AJ Griffin Bust
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#3 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed May 18, 2022 8:31 pm

gut says ivey busts (and this one has the potential to make me look very stupid down the road)

boom: keegan
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:49 pm

Bust: Chet Holmgren (relative to expectations, I don't think he'll be a star, I think he will be something akin to Myles Turner)
Boom: Johnny Davis

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#5 » by tester551 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:25 pm

Boom: Keegan Murray (also Mark Williams, Tari Eason, Dalen Terry)
Bust: Shaedon Sharpe, AJ Griffin
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,425

Post#6 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:27 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Bust: Chet Holmgren (relative to expectations, I don't think he'll be a star, I think he will be something akin to Myles Turner)

What is the 10/10 outcome for Davis? A better Donovan Mitchell b/c he's taller (and he actually wants to play defense?)
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:40 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Bust: Chet Holmgren (relative to expectations, I don't think he'll be a star, I think he will be something akin to Myles Turner)

What is the 10/10 outcome for Davis? A better Donovan Mitchell b/c he's taller (and he actually wants to play defense?)

I think something similarish to Devin Booker (on offense). I have his likely outcome as filling in that middle range between starter and star that is so rare at the shooting guard position right now.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,425

Post#8 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I think something similarish to Devin Booker (on offense). I have his likely outcome as filling in that middle range between starter and star that is so rare at the shooting guard position right now.

So like a prime Gary Harris type player?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:45 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I think a bit better than that, maybe more on the level of (post-injury) Eric Gordon, but yes, that general area.

JColl
JRoy
RealGM

Post#10 » by JRoy » Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I don’t rate G Harris that highly. He was a below average starter at his peak. I’d say Wes Matthews at his peak was a bit better and he was probably about average or slightly above average.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 pm

JRoy wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I don’t rate G Harris that highly. He was a below average starter at his peak. I’d say Wes Matthews at his peak was a bit better and he was probably about average or slightly above average.

I think healthy Wes Matthews was much better than average, even as a starter. But that Gary Trent/Wes Matthews/Eric Gordon/17-18 Gary Harris is where I'd expect Davis to end up at ... but with the outlier potential to be better.

JColl
JRoy
RealGM

Post#12 » by JRoy » Wed May 18, 2022 9:54 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

I think healthy Wes Matthews was much better than average, even as a starter. But that Gary Trent/Wes Matthews/Eric Gordon/17-18 Gary Harris is where I'd expect Davis to end up at ... but with the outlier potential to be better.

I hope you’re right. He seems a better, twitchier athlete than those guys and a pretty solid defensive player.
Edrees wrote:

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,936

Post#13 » by tmorgan » Wed May 18, 2022 10:59 pm

Busts: Jabari, Griffin
Boom: Paolo, Eason, Daniels

I have no read on Chet. I learn from experience watching players, and nothing i’ve watched tells me anything about pro Chet. Good luck to the team that drafts him… I can see Hall of Fame and broken and washed out on his rookie deal.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#14 » by Catchall » Wed May 18, 2022 11:04 pm

I'm not in on Johnny Davis. The shooting numbers worry me. The ball skills aren't quite good enough for a lead guard. Maybe he fixes his shooting and plays a role like Deanthony Melton. Maybe he can be Malcom Brogdon in the future. I don't have him in the lottery though.

As for Boom prospect: Jaden Hardy could be the next Bradley Beal. Nikola Jovic should be anywhere from pretty solid to a borderline star. Wendell Moore could be the next Desmond Bane, which is pretty good.

Bust prospect: I'm not sure what to do with Chet. I want him to be like Anthony Davis, but he isn't. He's actually like a skinnier version of young Dirk Nowitzki before the shooting proved itself. He defends well, so that at least gives him a floor of Zach Collins if he ever fills out physically.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#15 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu May 19, 2022 4:36 am

Boom: 18 year old Dominick Barlow, currently a second round pick at best.

Bust: Paolo Banchero, short arm PF that benefitted from having a grown man's body. He'll be 20 years old at the start of the NBA season.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#16 » by CptCrunch » Thu May 19, 2022 4:47 am

I have not met one person who loves Griffin on these boards. It seems that Griffin is only ranked high because he is ranked high on the mainstream internet mocks.

Either no one loves Griffin in the front offices or NBA scouts love Griffin (assuming the mocks we see with 'intel' from league 'sauces' are not all bull doodoo)
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:26 am

CptCrunch wrote:I have not met one person who loves Griffin on these boards. It seems that Griffin is only ranked high because he is ranked high on the mainstream internet mocks.

Either no one loves Griffin in the front offices or NBA scouts love Griffin (assuming the mocks we see with 'intel' from league 'sauces' are not all bull doodoo)

I loved him at the beginning of the year when he was a man of mystery. I still like him, but I don't see star written on him. Would be very comfortable drafting him 8-12 but not where a lot of mocks have him.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft