Highest BBIQ with Composure

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Highest BBIQ with Composure 

Post#1 » by EMG518 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:40 pm

I was watching the NBA lottery and heard a few of the potential draftees answer questions and it gave me the idea.

Paolo was the one that really sparked it. He seemed like he could barely form a sentence or formulate a thought due to what appeared to me as nerves. As much as I like his game it's a red flag to me.

Who would you all say have a high BBIQ while also having composure.

I went and listened to most of the prospects projected in the 1st round and the ones I came away impressed with were

Mark Williams, Chet Holmgren, Keegan Murray, Ochai Agbaji, Jalen Williams, and Max Christie.

I am reconsidering all of their draft positions.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Re: Highest BBIQ with Composure 

Post#2 » by tmorgan » Sat May 21, 2022 4:40 pm

Chet has everything you want in a prospect. Intelligence, guts, basketball IQ, motor, and skills.

That body tho. Jeeeeebus. Still have no idea how he holds up to NBA athletes. Magic should still take him.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#3 » by tester551 » Sun May 22, 2022 1:06 am

EMG518 wrote:I was watching the NBA lottery and heard a few of the potential draftees answer questions and it gave me the idea.

Paolo was the one that really sparked it. He seemed like he could barely form a sentence or formulate a thought due to what appeared to me as nerves. As much as I like his game it's a red flag to me.

Who would you all say have a high BBIQ while also having composure.

I went and listened to most of the prospects projected in the 1st round and the ones I came away impressed with were

Mark Williams, Chet Holmgren, Keegan Murray, Ochai Agbaji, Jalen Williams, and Max Christie.

I am reconsidering all of their draft positions.

I like the thought process, but I'm not sure I'd give it too much weight.

There are some people who are just in their zone on the court & really aquard off it (Kawhi comes to mind).

Having said that - you listed several you're impressed with. Which prospect interviews came off as being a red flag for you?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#4 » by retrobro90 » Sun May 22, 2022 1:12 am

Dyson Daniels hits these buttons for me big time. High IQ and great feel with cajones factor.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#5 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun May 22, 2022 6:13 am

Interview skills are not how you judge an athlete. Moses Malone...
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#6 » by EMG518 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:15 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Interview skills are not how you judge an athlete. Moses Malone...

This is true, that's what the tape is for and the combine. If they dont have the physical tools and athleticism to play it doesn't matter

What you judge from the interview is how their brain works, how quickly they process information, their understanding of the game, their mentality, their proclivity to reach their best case scenario.

Mark Williams for instance measured great and probably improved his stock at the combine but if you listen to him talk about the game and how composed he is I would argue he is more likely to maximize those physical tools on the court.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#7 » by deepeeenn » Sun May 22, 2022 10:35 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Interview skills are not how you judge an athlete. Moses Malone...

It isn't the end all be all. And there are a lot of players that play off feel and intuition but I think in today's NBA - teams, players, scouts -- are much smarter. They will find your weakness and expose you. So having a high level BBIQ and the ability to stay composed can mean everything. I think you see it in some of the best teams, especially the Warriors who really set so many high standards to what a championship team should look and play like.

I feel like I've seen too many players that tried to survive off natural gifts and feel/intuition for the game and just never won anything.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.

Return to NBA Draft