No one, the top 3 will be chalk
34%

Total votes: 38

Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,558

Who breaks up the presumptive top 3? 

Post#1 » by Jadoogar » Tue May 31, 2022 5:08 pm

Almost every mock i've see has Chet, Jabari and Paolo going the top 3 (in some order). Who (if anyone) is most likely to break into the top 3 by draft time?
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Re: Who breaks up the presumptive top 3? 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue May 31, 2022 6:16 pm

Dyson Daniels
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#3 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue May 31, 2022 6:53 pm

just due to his mystery status, sharpe is most likely to break it up. to be clear, i'm not saying i feel he should break it up, but in real life, he's the answer.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:30 pm

With how loud the noise is around Presti liking Ivey, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something like 3+18 for 2 so Houston could get Chet and OKC take Ivey.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#5 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue May 31, 2022 8:54 pm

I can see Paolo not being part of the top 3. He's a power forward and he's not very fast. I believe that he's every inch of 6'10" but what's his standing reach? Vertical? He has been bigger and stronger than his competition for years, what happens when that advantage is frequently eliminated in the NBA?
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,558

Post#6 » by Jadoogar » Tue May 31, 2022 9:53 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:I can see Paolo not being part of the top 3. He's a power forward and he's not very fast. I believe that he's every inch of 6'10" but what's his standing reach? Vertical? He has been bigger and stronger than his competition for years, what happens when that advantage is frequently eliminated in the NBA?

I've been anti Paolo for a while, he just reminds me too much of Julius Randle. Solid player for sure but doesn't so it for me as a top 3 pick. I agree that if anyone drops, it will be him.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#7 » by tmorgan » Wed Jun 1, 2022 2:51 am

I agree Paolo is the most likely to drop, but I don’t see it.

But now you’ve got me excited for Paolo at 5 (a perfect fit for us) if two of Sharpe/Daniels/Ivey/Murray go top 4. Unlikely, but not impossible.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#8 » by MemphisX » Wed Jun 1, 2022 3:20 am

Jadoogar wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:I can see Paolo not being part of the top 3. He's a power forward and he's not very fast. I believe that he's every inch of 6'10" but what's his standing reach? Vertical? He has been bigger and stronger than his competition for years, what happens when that advantage is frequently eliminated in the NBA?

I've been anti Paolo for a while, he just reminds me too much of Julius Randle. Solid player for sure but doesn't so it for me as a top 3 pick. I agree that if anyone drops, it will be him.

This has been my issue with Paolo. His archetype is not high value in the NBA. Even at the highest level of it (Blake Griffin) it leaves a lot to be desired regarding future team building. He is going to need to play the 5 defensively IMO but I am not sure he offers enough rim protection for it at the highest levels.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 5:59 am

i don't think anyone does but if I HAD to make a guess, i'd go with Daniels. would've said Sharpe but Houston has no use for him with Green and Porter Jr. on the roster. Daniels slots in next to Green in the backcourt perfectly and is a coveted archetype in today's NBA.

would be a slight reach but if Houston isn't sold on Paolo or his fit next to Alpy, would make some sense to take Daniels at 3 if Houston can't maneuver a trade down.

really would just depend on how H Town ranks Paolo/Dyson, and if they have Paolo a tier above Daniels as a prospect u gotta take Paolo and figure out the later.

really...this would be a much easier problem for the Rockets to solve if they took Mobley at 2 like they should have last year, Paolo would've fit in nicely next to Mobley, or they could take Sharpe/Daniels no problem to pair with Mobley too. that's not to say Green isn't gonna be good but Mobes was a special special prospect.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 6:12 am

now that I think more about it, wouldn't shock me at all if it goes something like this:

Magic - Smith/Chet
Okc - Chet/Smith
Hou - Daniels
Sac - Banchero
Det - Sharpe/Ivey
Ind - Ivey/Sharpe

the fact that there are like 0 good PGs in this class could def push Daniels up.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 6:14 am

tmorgan wrote:I agree Paolo is the most likely to drop, but I don’t see it.

But now you’ve got me excited for Paolo at 5 (a perfect fit for us) if two of Sharpe/Daniels/Ivey/Murray go top 4. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Kings could def do something weird like take Ivey over Paolo at 4 if he's available and you'll have your man, wouldn't bet on it but it's not completely out of the question
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,895

Post#12 » by K_chile22 » Wed Jun 1, 2022 12:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:now that I think more about it, wouldn't shock me at all if it goes something like this:

Magic - Smith/Chet
Okc - Chet/Smith
Hou - Daniels
Sac - Banchero
Det - Sharpe/Ivey
Ind - Ivey/Sharpe

the fact that there are like 0 good PGs in this class could def push Daniels up.
If the rockets took Daniels over Paolo I'd be sick. I like Daniels a lot but the hype is getting a bit crazy. I see no star upside there, just super role player.

Yeah Paolo's fit with Sengun would likely be problematic down the line, but if they're both really good and need to be closers that's a good problem to have and you can move one for value. I don't care about fit at all for Houston

All the smoke so far is they love Paolo
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#13 » by CptCrunch » Wed Jun 1, 2022 2:33 pm

Paolo is solidly #1 for a lot of people. He is more polarizing than Jabari.

Having him rumored #3 is already an outrageous situation in the first place.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#14 » by tmorgan » Thu Jun 2, 2022 12:03 am

Quite the draft. You have your choice between players that lack an outstanding attribute and players with at least one serious weakness. Will be interesting,
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jun 2, 2022 6:27 am

K_chile22 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:now that I think more about it, wouldn't shock me at all if it goes something like this:

Magic - Smith/Chet
Okc - Chet/Smith
Hou - Daniels
Sac - Banchero
Det - Sharpe/Ivey
Ind - Ivey/Sharpe

If the rockets took Daniels over Paolo I'd be sick. I like Daniels a lot but the hype is getting a bit crazy. I see no star upside there, just super role player.

Yeah Paolo's fit with Sengun would likely be problematic down the line, but if they're both really good and need to be closers that's a good problem to have and you can move one for value. I don't care about fit at all for Houston

All the smoke so far is they love Paolo

People were making this same argument for the Pels drafting certain people. Teams like the Rockets need talent infusion. If Paolo and Sengun both work out, they will be a formidable force on offense and rebounding the basketball. They might havea PNR weakness that can be exploited deep in the playoffs, but that should be your concern once you're getting to 55-60 wins and you're vying for a title. You need to take that step before you start worrying about having a perfect fit with no holes to exploit by someone like Golden State or something. You have to just draft top tier talent, flood your roster with talent then go from there when you're trying to get over the hump.

I personally think Paolo is athletic and strong enough to be a great defender, he has to want it.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to NBA Draft