Challenge: Convince me Paulo Banchero will be good

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,206

Re: Challenge: Convince me Paulo Banchero will be good 

Post#61 » by Hoop Hunter » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:25 pm

I'm not a fan of Banchero. He'll be a decent player, I just don't see a real star player type. His quickness, lateral movement are concerns for me. I think several players picked after him will have better career. JMO, I could be wrong.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,281

Post#62 » by hippesthippo » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:37 am

EMG518 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:he's a legit 6-10 guy with a strong physical profile, has a sophisticated scoring repertoire for his age, high offensive BBIQ with + ball skills and passing juice, slots in nicely in today's NBA as a versatile point-forward type while potentially being able to score 20 a pop. good leadership qualities.

biggest question marks are how he scales defensively. seems positionally locked at the 4 at this point but if he can prove he can defend from the 5 hole in any capacity that should should scale his game considerably and make him more valuable.

don't think he's a can't miss guy, but clearly a good prospect who should be a starter type for a long time. Julius Randle or less athletic Blake Griffin type to me.

Preciate the insight. I agree with you about fitting in as an offensive player, but I've found the vast majority of versatile 4/5 guys are high level defenders. Horford, JJJ, Bam... All different archetypes within that umbrella but All-Defensive types across the board. If he doesn't scale as a defender then I imagine his ceiling would be relatively low. Randle is a nice player but not exactly the guy you want as a "best scenario" when drafting that high.

I don't get why people throw out the name Randle other than they both have big bodies.

Randle isn't as tall, has no standing reach, is less athletic, and less skilled at the same age so how can that be a comp.

I would take Paolo after the All star break once he is acclimated his rookie year over Randle now.

I think the defensive concerns are way overstated also.

I remember Randle's biggest selling point pre-draft being his ridiculously quick first step for his size. Not really similar players in my opinion, so I agree.

Banchero is a 6'10" monster who can dribble, pass, and shoot. Pretty easy to see what his positives are. His negatives are also obvious: can he fit into an NBA scheme on defense? I believe so as he has shown the IQ, but who knows.. he doesn't slide his feet particularly well and he never looked the part of defensive anchor/rim protector.
DangerZone13
Senior
And1: 678

Post#63 » by DangerZone13 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:02 pm

Minor gripe, but anytime I read a thread title like "Convince me _____."
I can't help but think, "Who the F are you that I need to convince of anything? Do your own studying. You've already made up your mind, what do I care if you're wrong?"
:banghead: "Calling out trolls" by quoting them makes YOU part of the problem to those wise enough to use the Ignore button. Please don't add to board pollution.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 630

Post#64 » by FeatheryTouch » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:08 pm

The case for Banchero is pretty simple, he has the best chance of any of the players in this draft to be the centerpiece of an NBA offense. Paolo can shoot/pass/handle, is polished for his age, and has an NBA-ready body.

Jabari can shoot and finish but he doesn't yet have the ballhandling, passing, or vision to have an offense run through him.

Chet has a unique set of skills but does not project to be a primary scorer type particularly early in his career with his physical profile and weight concerns.

Ivey has some potential as a primary but is raw, has a shaky jumper, and has no left hand...he projects as more of a finisher right now and will need substantial development to be that kind of guy.

So setting aside defense/intangibles etc., if a team is looking for a primary scorer and dude you can potentially run an NBA offense through then Banchero is the top choice in the draft.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:33 pm

The kid is a monster offensively. Giannis' size with finesse, passing and shooting.

Read on Twitter
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#66 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:31 am

I think Paolo is still searching for the right playing weight. In high school, he was lighter and more explosive. He added about 20 lbs before going to Duke and that took away some explosion but gave him more strength. I think he was 5-10 lbs heavier than that in Summer League.

He'll get in great shape during training camp. I know at Duke he looked in way better shape at the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#67 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:44 am

hippesthippo wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Preciate the insight. I agree with you about fitting in as an offensive player, but I've found the vast majority of versatile 4/5 guys are high level defenders. Horford, JJJ, Bam... All different archetypes within that umbrella but All-Defensive types across the board. If he doesn't scale as a defender then I imagine his ceiling would be relatively low. Randle is a nice player but not exactly the guy you want as a "best scenario" when drafting that high.

I don't get why people throw out the name Randle other than they both have big bodies.

Randle isn't as tall, has no standing reach, is less athletic, and less skilled at the same age so how can that be a comp.

I would take Paolo after the All star break once he is acclimated his rookie year over Randle now.

I think the defensive concerns are way overstated also.

I remember Randle's biggest selling point pre-draft being his ridiculously quick first step for his size. Not really similar players in my opinion, so I agree.

Banchero is a 6'10" monster who can dribble, pass, and shoot. Pretty easy to see what his positives are. His negatives are also obvious: can he fit into an NBA scheme on defense? I believe so as he has shown the IQ, but who knows.. he doesn't slide his feet particularly well and he never looked the part of defensive anchor/rim protector.
Randle is 6'7.75 without shoes and I don't think he has the handle Banchero does. Banchero is 6'10 without shoes and 20 lbs heavier than Randle.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#68 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:47 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Told Chris Vernon he measured 6'10.5 BAREFOOT in his workout in Houston. Not sure I buy that but if you do, that's crazy

For reference, Joel Embiid’s last measurement was I believe 6’11.5 when the NBA decided they wanted to do barefoot heights for some teams lol.

I highly highly doubt he’s that close to Embiid’s height.
Embiid has a much longer wingspan. Banchero is tall but has a shorter wingspan.

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#69 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:21 am

Jamaaliver wrote:The kid is a monster offensively. Giannis' size with finesse, passing and shooting.

Read on Twitter

I wouldn't go to that Giannis level for him.

He's impressively skilled for his size though, he will be an all star
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,402

Post#70 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:11 pm

Bump this thread if/when you're convinced, George!

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:22 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Naturally, NBA scouts are a lot more qualified than I am to make these assessments. Can you guys help me see what they see?

Read on Twitter
SNPA
Head Coach
And1: 7,142

Post#72 » by SNPA » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:24 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:Naturally, NBA scouts are a lot more qualified than I am to make these assessments. Can you guys help me see what they see?

Read on Twitter

Easy ****. Call me in 81 games.

-Tyreke Evans
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,286

Post#73 » by baldur » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:37 am

It would take him some mental issues or problematic personality for him not to succeed with his motor, physique and explosiveness.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,385

Post#74 » by Big J » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:14 pm

Yup, Orlando got it right. Chet is injured and Jabari is strugglin. Paolo looks like an absolute stud.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#75 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:39 pm

He looked a litte bit slimmer since last time i watched him, Kid is a stud though.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#76 » by CptCrunch » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:53 pm

MotownMadness wrote:He looked a litte bit slimmer since last time i watched him, Kid is a stud though.

Yeah he looks slimmer, like a tall SF instead of a PF right now.

Looks like rookie year LeBron in build, except 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier.

Paolo's handles are incredible. Being comfortable enough to bring the ball up the court is a fairly rare skill for a player of his size. Add in semi-decent vision, difficult to see him not suceed.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,106

Post#77 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:52 am

Is he really 6'10'' though? It appears to me that Franz Wagner looks taller than him, and not by 1 or 2 inches too.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#78 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,554

Post#79 » by Colbinii » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:28 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Is he really 6'10'' though? It appears to me that Franz Wagner looks taller than him, and not by 1 or 2 inches too.

Paulo looks a legit 6' 10"
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,554

Post#80 » by Colbinii » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:45 am

Paulo is scary good already.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.

Return to NBA Draft